Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 241 of 330
    sflagel wrote: »
    So meeting the expectations of some random guy (no offence) is now good enough? Sorry, but I expect a firm like Apple to come up with stuff that I (or you) cannot think of. A guy on a forum can develop the product roadmap for Apple? Really, that's good enough for you?

So meeting the expectations of some random guy (no offense) is not good enough?

Things are harder and harder to keep secret. That's a fact. I bet Apple can cure cancer and still have people say "that's it? What about HIV?"
    Apple used to show new stuff that NO ONE expected.. That's how they got to be what they are today.

No. Apple showed us stuff we wanted not because it wasn't expected. Features on the iPhones were leaked prior to each release but they still sold shit-tons of them
  • Reply 242 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markcu View Post

I would be massively surprised if it didn't link in to my iTunes here at home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markcu View Post

the web page also says:

Listen to millions of songs, including your complete personal music collection, on the best speakers in the house.

So I'm hoping it really means that, and it's not dependant on Apple Music.

That could be a reference to Music Match (that I really like, and find a good value for $25/yr.)

I do think the ATV interface is going to have a "computers" app though. There was special mention of the "photos" app in the event. Can't remember who said it, but the quote was something like "everyone wants to see their photos." I think the same can be said of people's videos, and those a "home videos" on the movies tab in iTunes on your mac.

On the flip side, I can see an argument for wanting to push content to the cloud. That isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it would be a very un-Apple thing to require customers to pay for functionality that previously just worked. Still, maybe they want to leave that sector to a third party now.

While there is some head scratching about some of the choices Apple made wrt to the new Music service (something I don't subscribe to) I think that in general, Apple is a bit like your typical russian: "he don't take a dump without having a plan, son."

• Reply 243 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

2GB. That's not a guess either.

By the way, I thought it interesting that app downloads aren't persistent. Each time they're run they have to be freshly downloaded. Perhaps there's little advantage to the 64GB version then?

EDIT: If you missed the link to the programmer guide for the Apple TV apps and have any interest here it is.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppleTV_PG/OnDemandResources.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015241-CH9-SW1

Just saw the 2GB reference, that's good it got at least that much.

App downloads, it says on the tvOS dev site, "After downloading, the resources may stay on the device through multiple launch cycles, making access even faster." Curious of course to see how this affects game play and other app usage - I'm assuming the OS will intelligently determine when to release stuff based on what you launch more often? Where are these other resources hosted? The documentation mentions an SSL compliant server on the internet, is that always, or can the app pull from a user's iTunes library, which most likely would be a better location? Just curious what this might mean for lag, that will be one complaint the system receives if there is visible lag while downloading stuff from the internets somewhere. Still, I think the solution is very interesting and I'm sure they've looked at optimising to eliminate lag.

• Reply 244 of 330
    why wouldn't apple add a camera to this for FaceTime purposes? seems like a no-brainer
  • Reply 245 of 330
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

...  Most people don't want your VR fantasy.  

Holodeck or bust !!!!

• Reply 246 of 330
    Quote:

Not a junior product managers vision.  But a realistic one that can be achieved in the next 2-5 years.   Anyone can think up some pie in the sky fantasy.

When the time is right?  What kind of bull shit statement is that?  That could mean 20 years or 100 years from now.

VR is not a big thing. Hell even 3D which is much less expensive to make and more socially acceptable flopped big time.   Now you think VR will take off in the near future?  LOL.  You probably though Google Glass was going to take off also!  Just face it.  Most people don't want your VR fantasy.  

Anyone can think of ideas.  Some fantasy.  Its all about execution and making the stuff work.  Tons of people thought of making a mini computer in your phone.  But that did them no good with being able to make it work.

No wonder you are not happy with Apple's current 'innovation'.  You are expecting them to make a time machine next year or a Virtual reality TV. LOL.  Get your head out of fantasy land, dude.

You have all these fantasy's about this and that.  But you miss the MAIN POINT.  Its not about hardware.  Any cheap piece of shit Chinese operation can make nice hardware.  Its about the ECOSYSTEM.  You can have all your pie in the sky hardware dreams (you probabily thought the Google Glass was going to take off also?).  But hardware can easily be duplicated.  The Ecosystem can't be easily duplicated.  It took Apple over a decade and TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars to build their current ecosystem.  The bottom line is this weeks event showed that Apple is making their ecosystem even better and more dominant.  And that is the most important thing.

I am not expressing myself well. These are not my fantasies. These are just a few topics in the mainstream that currently suck. So no one is using them. All I am saying that maybe Apple could make them better. I DO NOT KNOW if or how. But that is how the MP3 player world and the smartphone worlds were: they seemed like there could be something interesting there but they sucked. Then Apple came out with stuff that did not make them suck, in a way that NO ONE thought about. I said MAYBE if Apple could come out with something in these areas that are interesting but suck, and make them cool, that could be revolutionary. But I do want Apple to address these products (and yes, these are hundreds more, this are just examples).

I really do not dream about products that Apple should come out with; I do not try to forecast.  I am just an interested observant hoping to be amazed (like when I go see a Christopher Nolan film, I hope to see something awesome, but I do not dream about what movies he should do next).

I also think that Apple's incremental improvements to the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV are very good, I buy most of their stuff. I am  well aware of the power of their eco system and it is brilliant (until content owners allow the rights to their content to be transferrable to oter platforms which I assume they are currently barred from, but things change).

If you are an investor, the best thing, by far, that they announced was the iPhone subscription plan. Brilliant move! 

But it shows that Apple is now all about incremental value, not revolution, or disruption, or magic.

The new Apple TV is better mousetrap. A good mousetrap. Its an incremental step on a road that every other tech firm (and one internet retailer) is treading on. They are great at producing new mousetraps and I upgrade my phone every 12 - 24 months minimum.

• Reply 247 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

But the new Apple TV is not "revolutionary", it better mousetrap. Its an incremental step on a road that every other tech firm (and one internet retailer) is treading on.

It may not be "revolutionary", but it's a damn big step imo.

• Reply 248 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »

But it shows that Apple is now all about incremental value, not revolution, or disruption, or magic.

The new Apple TV is better mousetrap. A good mousetrap. Its an incremental step on a road that every other tech firm (and one internet retailer) is treading on. They are great at producing new mousetraps and I upgrade my phone every 12 - 24 months at most.

so tell me what WOULD be a revolutionary step Apple could have done with the new AppleTV?

make it a VR machine?  LOL.  Its all about the Ecosystem.  That does not sound exciting but thats the truth.  You can have all the awesome hardware you can dream up but without the ecosystem it means nothing.

The new AppleTV is all about the ecosystem:  App store,  more on board memory, games, Siri support, universal search, and soon TV packages.

Most of what you listed exists in some shape or form on a competing device. If it was not revolutionary when the other companies did it then it's not revolutionary now that Apple is.
  • Reply 249 of 330
    Quote:

Looking at your recent post history you said:

Microsoft strategy is just as good as Apple's in mobile

You hate the Apple Watch's look

You hate Apple Music

You sound like a concerned troll.

You say Apple does not innovate yet you are going to buy a $80k Tesla?  LOL.  Give me a break.  You are grumbling about Apple's innovation and you are willing to pay $80k for a glorified Toyota Prius.

I do not "hate" any of these things. 

I do not recall the Microsoft statement, sounds like an odd statement for me. I may have said tat "it could very well work". I will look it up.

The Apple watch is not ugly; I only said it is not beautiful (which it isn't).

I am disappointed in Apple Music, it is broken, almost no aspect of it works properly. Does it for you, or do you just accept stuff that does not work?

Not sure what the car has to do with anything. Also, unfortunately, the Tesla Model X is much more expensive than the Model S, so I will struggle.... Musk says the equivalents to Model S will be $ 5,000 more. That sounds not too bad, but I assume he means the size of the battery with "equivalent" not the range. Given that the 90 KWh version  has a range of only 240 miles this means that the 70 KWh model (the one I can afford), only has a range of 190 miles. That's not quite enough to get me where I need to go on weekends; and I can't afford the 90 KWh version.

So may have to wait for the Audi Q6. Bummer, really.

• Reply 250 of 330
    Quote:

so tell me what WOULD be a revolutionary step Apple could have done with the new AppleTV?

make it a VR machine?  LOL.  Its all about the Ecosystem.  That does not sound exciting but thats the truth.  You can have all the awesome hardware you can dream up but without the ecosystem it means nothing.

The new AppleTV is all about the ecosystem:  App store,  more on board memory, games, Siri support, universal search, and soon TV packages.

I DO NOT KNOW.

I also do not know how to make a Star Wars film, but I can still tell that the last three suck and Empire Strikes Back was the best.

AppleTV is a good product! The eco system is also nice. But this AppleTV is NOT revolutionary. And the best proof is that YOU predicted it!

• Reply 251 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    No one should expect products like the Mac or iPod to even happen every 20 years.  Those are once in a generation products.

IMO, the iPod/iPhone/iPad are the same product just different form factors.

I agree. Just tell this to expectations. ;)

I was referring to the click wheel iPod. It changed digital music, if not the music market, and gave Apple the cash they needed for all that came after.
  • Reply 252 of 330

One thing I'll say about all the Apple apologists on AI, you people are universally delusional. Apple TV is Cupertino's most pathetic release to date. The design is hideous! I don't believe Jony Ive had a thing to do with it or it would look far better. As an Apple investor I'm disappointed and concerned because this will produce luke warm sales at best, probably no better and perhaps worse than Apple's "hobby" TV.

• Reply 253 of 330

Oh please. Apple didnt disrupt an industry every year. Nor have they revolutionized an industry every year.

They've always been incremental with existing products. Once in a while they crest a new product line. It's revisionist history to say Apple only released revolutionary and disruptive product on a yearly basis.
    mj web wrote: »
    One thing I'll say about all the Apple apologists on AI, you people are universally delusional. Apple TV is Cupertino's most pathetic release to date. The design is hideous! I don't believe Jony Ive had a thing to do with it or it would look far better. As an Apple investor I'm disappointed and concerned because this will produce luke warm sales at best, probably no better and perhaps worse than Apple's "hobby" TV.

Sell your stock then. Guess what, your tastes are different than anyone else's. You're not representative of Apple's customer demographics. That may hurt your feelings.
  • Reply 254 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

First, let's not forget that Jonny's main job was just design, not inventing products. He just made sure that the internals could be nicely fitted into a shell and made the shell look good.

But yes, this thing looks like he's de facto retired.

• Reply 255 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Oh please. Apple didnt disrupt an industry every year. Nor have they revolutionized an industry every year.

They've always been incremental with existing products. Once in a while they crest a new product line. It's revisionist history to say Apple only released revolutionary and disruptive product on a yearly basis.

Sell your stock then. Guess what, your tastes are different than anyone else's. You're not representative of Apple's customer demographics. That may hurt your feelings.

I a not saying they should do this every year. I am only reacting to Cook's claims about the Apple TV. And to some enthusiasts on this thread.

I am perfectly happy with incremental improvements (although they make for boring viewing). They are usually good enough that I upgrade (phone every 12-24 months; Apple TV, WiFi and iPads less often).

• Reply 256 of 330
    Quote:

I DO NOT KNOW.

...But this AppleTV is NOT revolutionary.

How convenient. Declare it's failed to be something and not define what that something is. It's like those goalposts are on wheels and you just get to move them around as you see fit.

I think this device is much more than NOT revolutionary. This will be *the* family holiday gift this season, not only games but video/film/tv for the whole family, plus whatever apps the clever developer community dreams up and offers us. It has the potential to be sold into so many households that it begins to give Apple such leverage with content holders, this (and other devices like it) have the possibility of shaking things up in the living room, especially related to how content is distributed and consumed.

Frankly, I don't care whether the new ATV dominates the world or not, I just want a good supply of apps and games on offer and I'll be happy. As for those running around saying this does nothing new, they're just naysayers who have no sense of vision of what's happening and will continue. I cut my cable cord with my gen 1 AppleTV and haven't regretted it since. I've had 3 games consoles since then, just sold my PlayStation in anticipation of this device. In my household things have been different because of this product's predecessor for a long time, with the new device, it's going to change even more. It's already shaking things up, it has and it's poised to do so much more.

It's easy to complain, it's easy to criticise and the internets seem to reward people with lots of opportunity for self-congratulatory satisfaction proving that negativity means "something." Complaining also is a convenient way of ignoring what this device does have, but that's not what this is about, it's about complaining and attacking and demanding these manufacturers achieve something even yourself can't tell them what it is they should be doing to capture your imagination. Wow, talk about unrealistic expectations, they're all doomed.

In the meantime I'm going to get one of these devices, I know its limitations, I know its capabilities and I'm sure it's going to provide me lots of enjoyment. I didn't expect it to print unicorns or enable me to shit gold, so I'm not disappointed, it's met all my expectations, even exceeded a couple, I'm excited about it if you can't tell. :-)

• Reply 257 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

One thing I'll say about all the Apple apologists on AI, you people are universally delusional.

That's troll talk. Disagree with someone and they immediately run to, "that's because you're a fanboy." You lose the argument by default, resorting to such juvenile tactics. :p

• Reply 258 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

How convenient. Declare it's failed to be something and not define what that something is. It's like those goalposts are on wheels and you just get to move them around as you see fit.

I think this device is much more than NOT revolutionary. This will be *the* family holiday gift this season, not only games but video/film/tv for the whole family, plus whatever apps the clever developer community dreams up and offers us. It has the potential to be sold into so many households that it begins to give Apple such leverage with content holders, this (and other devices like it) have the possibility of shaking things up in the living room, especially related to how content is distributed and consumed.

Frankly, I don't care whether the new ATV dominates the world or not, I just want a good supply of apps and games on offer and I'll be happy. As for those running around saying this does nothing new, they're just naysayers who have no sense of vision of what's happening and will continue. I cut my cable cord with my gen 1 AppleTV and haven't regretted it since. I've had 3 games consoles since then, just sold my PlayStation in anticipation of this device. In my household things have been different because of this product's predecessor for a long time, with the new device, it's going to change even more. It's already shaking things up, it has and it's poised to do so much more.

It's easy to complain, it's easy to criticise and the internets seem to reward people with lots of opportunity for self-congratulatory satisfaction proving that negativity means "something." Complaining also is a convenient way of ignoring what this device does have, but that's not what this is about, it's about complaining and attacking and demanding these manufacturers achieve something even yourself can't tell them what it is they should be doing to capture your imagination. Wow, talk about unrealistic expectations, they're all doomed.

In the meantime I'm going to get one of these devices, I know its limitations, I know its capabilities and I'm sure it's going to provide me lots of enjoyment. I didn't expect it to print unicorns or enable me to shit gold, so I'm not disappointed, it's met all my expectations, even exceeded a couple, I'm excited about it if you can't tell. :-)

I agree with you: it is a great device and works well in the eco system. I was only responding to Cook's claims and some people on this thread.

The big thing will be is when Content Providers cut their relationships with the Cable Companies and just offer their own channels on Apple TV. THAT will be revolutionary, and this is an important step. But FOR NOW, its boring.

• Reply 259 of 330
    Quote:

sorry but your expectations were out of wack then.

if they build it they will come.  Like all Apple products its a ramp up to near perfection.  It took 2-3 generations for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod to be totally polished.  I expect AppleTV to dominate the living room by 2017.

The new Apple TV is kick bacon nutty!  $149 puts it at £96.  That's cheaper than the Apple TV 2 I bought at £99!

A8.  Terrific iOS TVOS interface.  Beefy mid-tier graphics.  Decent flash storage.  This thing, for a mainstream audience is way fast.  Responsive and super sexy slick GUI.  Great casual gaming, tv app/channel and 'app' store revision here.

4k will come later.  Hi-Def has finally(!) arrived with this.  Yes.  Give it 2017 and Apple will p-OWN the living room leading the charge on 'mainstream' 4k content.

A terrific 'beginning' for the 'hobby'.  It's finally off the 'leash'.  Hobby no longer.

This is a great product for a £100!  (Yes.  Apple makes a kick ass product for £100.  Wow.)

Great reinvention of the remote.  The Siri integration is genius.  It's simplicity itself.  If you're into curated iTunes content, App store etc.  The new search stuff is a god send.

Very impressed by this rebirth.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 260 of 330
    Quote:

The big thing will be is when Content Providers cut their relationships with the Cable Companies and just offer their own channels on Apple TV. THAT will be revolutionary, and this is an important step. But FOR NOW, its boring.

Personally, I prefer to stay away from terms like "revolutionary" because they can be hard to define such that everyone agrees on the same single definition, but even a revolution has a first step, of that I'm sure we can both agree.

What I'm wondering is how many the install base will need to be before Apple has real leverage, real advantage with content providers. We're seeing signs of that today, but I'm just wondering when and what is the tipping point. It will be very interesting to be able to wrest control from those big powerful companies and have consumers tell them what they will do for us, instead of them telling us what they will provide to us. We'll be in the driving seat for once, potentially, and that is very appealing.