Hands on: iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

Comments

• Reply 61 of 247
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why isn't the top of the pencil an eraser?

During the reveal I was waiting for the eraser to be mentioned. This was so obvious that I was actually waiting to see it in action.

A missed opportunity but still a great little stylus.

I loved the part where Microsoft waved the white flag xD
    I was hoping Phil Schiller said "you can see there's more in the iPad Pro than you see on the surface" as MS walked off stage. Then I figured the pun wouldn't been classy considering Microsoft's appearance.
  • Reply 62 of 247
    What the heck is going on in that last video, guys.
  • Reply 63 of 247
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

Why would anybody spend laptop prices on a new iPad after seeing 3D touch on the iPhone, knowing it doesn't have it? I think I'll wait til next year's model.

• Reply 64 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

A concern that's been brought up by people I've talked to is the charging method for the Pencil. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen, having it sticking out of your iPad.

how long before we see the accessory makers releasing a 1ft long Male to Female Thunderbolt cable?
  • Reply 65 of 247
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Why would anybody spend laptop prices on a new iPad after seeing 3D touch on the iPhone, knowing it doesn't have it? I think I'll wait til next year's model.

Why would anybody spend premium prices on the iPhone 6s (plus), knowing it does not have pen support, side by side apps, the faster CPU/GPU, four speakers etc.?

Because it is a different device, maybe? ForceTouch debuted on the Watch as a mean to access more functionality without needing additional controls (buttons, pushers, dials, whatever...). 3D Touch does mainly the same for the iPhone. There is a limit on how complex you can make long-press menus etc. Having a separate mechanism for common stuff like "peek" makes perfect sense, as it makes the device easier to use. The bigger surface of iPads provides ample opportunities to make that functionality available by other means for now... And it is not really like force touching an icon in the upper corner of an iPad held in one hand would be an ergonomic success, more a "please shoot me" thingy.

• Reply 66 of 247
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That 'pro' is also a 'con' because it means people won't be used to it sticking out of their iPad. That said, for all the concern, it's an extremely minor consideration even if it does readily jump out at you.

In particular, as it is supposed to take 15 seconds to charge 30 minutes of use.
  • Reply 67 of 247
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

2) Too bad it can't also click into the 3 magnetic rings on the adjacent side of the iPad Pro for charing.

I thought that, seems like a bit of a missed opportunity for less precarious charging (I'm imagining the three nodes being on the side of the Pencil) and potentially storage, as you could just clip the Pencil to the side of the iPad.  Obviously wouldn't work if the user had the keyboard attachment, unless the included pass through, or the new charging port on both long sides of the iPad.

Lightning in the end (and male Lightning at that) seems like a weird and awkward solution to me.

• Reply 68 of 247
    Does anyone know if the Apple pencil only works with the Pro or might it also work with other iPads? I am wondering if it needs just software such as iOS 9 or is there some special hardware?
  • Reply 69 of 247
    A concern that's been brought up by people I've talked to is the charging method for the Pencil. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen, having it sticking out of your iPad.

I'm really enjoying your ability to find negative angles for nearly every Apple story these days. kudos! keep it up!
  • Reply 70 of 247
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That was my first thought.

why? if you're charging the pencil, then you're not using the iPad. that means it's sitting on a table. why on earth would you lay it down so the plugged in pencil is sticking out? I simply can't imagine being that careless with my tools.
  • Reply 71 of 247
    Nope. I'd recommend being very careful, seeing as there doesn't appear to be any way to secure it to the device or the keyboard.

how terrible! what do draftsmen and desk execs do with their pricey pens and pencils?!
  • Reply 72 of 247
    dabe wrote: »

Expecting a storage location on the iPad Pro for a "pencil" would be like expecting to find a storage site for a desktop mouse on a laptop computer!

this whining reminds me of this very thing -- stupid mouse caddies that you could adhere to the side of desktop computer chassis. they were lame. wish I could find a pic...
  • Reply 73 of 247
    Seeing the video of the pencil in use it gives a phantasy if impression and appears to be very well designed. Having said that, an eraser at the top of the pencil would have been nice. Or maybe I missed that.

The other thought is how well does the keyboard/stand combo work when you don't have a flat surface to place it on, like your lap.
  • Reply 74 of 247
    I really want this, but yeah its better to wait for the 2nd gen.  Unless my Wacom tablet decides to break "accidentally"

but then why not wait for the third gen? or the fourth?

nonsense. get the tools you need when you need them. done.
  • Reply 75 of 247
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    why? if you're charging the pencil, then you're not using the iPad.
    That's a major assumption there, and one I would say is very much false.
  • Reply 76 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad Pro with Pencil Apps

It remains to be seen whether Apple Pencil will be a significant driver of sales of iPad Pro, or if it will remain a niche tool for specific classes of business, education and artist users. So far however, Apple Pencil has generated real interest from major app developers, and on the floor of the hands-on area, they remarked positively about Apple's implementation and the speed and sophistication of its reinvention of the digital pen as the new Apple Pencil.

Is the Pencil accurate enough to take handwritten notes?

• Reply 77 of 247
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    crowley wrote: »
    That's a major assumption there, and one I would say is very much false.

Do we know that the pencil can only charge from the lightening port on the iPad?
  • Reply 78 of 247

The article misses some key things out for me....

Now whilst I am a big Mac fan, I also use a Surface Pro... why ?  Because as a consultant I am always taking written notes.  And Apple didn't have a suitable product and the 3rd party powered styluses I tried just sucked (sorry to say).

Microsoft's Pen and OneNote work together fantastically.

Many articles focus on consumers but I think the Surface has been successful for various reasons but one is the Pen.

The article here doesn't really compare the good bits of the Surface and suggests there was no use case for a Pen/Pencil on a Surface.

It also suggests the Apple pencil whilst rechargeable will last for 12 hours.

I have had the Surface for nearly a year and haven't had to change the batteries once !  And I have used it for way more that 12 hours!

Second.. MS Pen has a quick access button on it.. great for those who want to jump into a specific app and take notes.  Apple doesn't it seems.  The article suggests to me that the Apple version is much simpler to use.. but at the cost of functionality, which perhaps is the Mac way sometimes.

Whats worse though potentially for me is an undo function.. does the apple have an erase function if you turn it around (like an old pencil eraser?) since the MS Pen has a button which means you can just click to undo what you need to change.. if in the iPad world that means you have to click an undo button on the screen then that would really slow me down..

That said.. I can see Apple coming up with a solution... 

ie  Last year we brought you the Apple Pencil, this year its the Apple Pen/ Biro/ Felt Tip/ Marker/ Sharpie/Insert as necessary

Still looking forward to getting hold of an iPad Pro and Pencil to see if it can replace the Surface for me... but external storage connection is an issue for me like other have mentioned if you want to do video/photo editing etc and have GB's of data.. its not all going to be in the cloud.  Try editing 4K video over a typical broadband connection !  hmmm  

Which is why I just wish they would have put in Mac OS into the iPad Pro.. and not iOS....  but you can't have it all I guess :)

• Reply 79 of 247
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying your ability to find negative angles for nearly every Apple story these days. kudos! keep it up!

I'm always amused when people says a company should've done A instead of B. As if these things don't get prototyped like crazy before a final design is settled on. Of course that doesn't mean that companies can't make mistakes but my god this product isn't even shipping yet and already people are pissing on it saying Apple should have done this, or done that instead. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 80 of 247
    rogifan wrote: »
    Do we know that the pencil can only charge from the lightening port on the iPad?
    I wondered this. If it's just drawing power then I can't see any reason why any iOS device with a Lightning port wouldn't be able to charge the Pencil. Maybe the iPad Pro passes more power though, so Apple might have restricted it?