Hands on: iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

Comments

• Reply 121 of 247
    I'm 51 years old and don't need a lesson on what it takes to be "grown up". If you think the fate of a small item is solely determined by how much one "cares" for ones stuff, perhaps you are the one who needs Growing up.
  • Reply 122 of 247
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

It would be great if the Pencil had a sensor that let the iPad know when the eraser side was touching the screen. Instead of selecting the eraser tool in software. It would be like drawing and erasing with a real pencil. I actually thought it had this function until I saw the opposite end of the pencil tip was just a plug to power it up.

What a waste.

Would really cause the Pencil name to be meaningful.

If you consider a real wood, graphite and rubber eraser pencil, you will notice that the graphite is a sharpened point and the eraser has a stubby flat profile. You can draw extremely fine detail, but you can only erase broad areas. With the Apple Pencil you can erase with the same level of precision that you can draw.

• Reply 123 of 247
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why? if you're charging the pencil, then you're not using the iPad. that means it's sitting on a table. why on earth would you lay it down so the plugged in pencil is sticking out? I simply can't imagine being that careless with my tools.

Crowded tables so the pencil is tempting to "hang" off to save space? My current desktop barely has clear space for my hands right in front of my laptop, everything else is covered.... in some places layers deep.

• Reply 124 of 247
    Laughing as the Microsoft Surface is smacking down this...maybe this is Apple's idea of the GarageBand Pro...total bullshit having no removable media support coupled with locked-down file managment. TOTAL SHIT...Apple Wake Up, i think people are getting sick of the Apple way of pissy little improvments, a closed file managment system and overpriced stuff that underperforms. It is a shmae to think I have been waiting for this ipad pro for this long and it underwhelms...it is just a big ipad air...NOTHING PRO ABOUT IT. Microsoft Surface Pro IS a computer, it IS set to replace the desktop/laptop paradigm and is already doing so. Microsoft is acknowledging and addressing the pro audio segment...it isn't without hickups but they have made huge strides.
    As for apple's ipad pro: would it have hurt someone's ego to have included a removable media slot? would it have hurt someone's ego to throw on a usb port or two in any flavor of the day, think usb c? that maybe would granted it the title of "pro" but a bigger retina screen with a $100 pencil...maybe iPad Sucker is a more appropriate title.

my days as a dyed-in-wool apple loyalist may be coming to an end...NEVER thought i'd even humor the thought...maybe i will just be diversifying my platforms in the near future

this concludes my DIATRIBE

You're a terrible parody of what it means to be an "apple loyalist". You list a bunch of tired memes about iPad not being Windows PC enough and claim to be rethinking your lack of diversification. Really? If mean what you say in ernest, then by all means, go buy a Windows PC. Your money, your choice, and as I've said many times before in these forums, that is all that matters.

Your post is the most fake, disingenuous concern trolling example if ever I saw one. Let's look at this concept of being an "apple loyalist." It's bullshit for the most part. If a brand stays consistent about its vision, and continues to provide the same qualities that a group of consumers want year after year, then those consumers over time develop loyalty to the brand. Loyalty is a consequence of delivering on a vision. For iPad, the vision is about simplified, refined, convenient, portable, and lightweight computing, born out of the iPhone and iPod experiences that came before it. We've had iOS for the last 8 years, and you're suddenly complaining it's not a PC? I don't believe that. Stuffing a Windows PC into a tablet and calling it done was NEVER Apple's vision for tablets. Apple kept talking about Post-PC devices, and they laid out a pretty compelling vision for it: get the PC (and the legacy operating systems) and all the technical headaches that it forced you to endure out of the way so that it's just YOU and YOUR CONTENT, connected by touch. No antivirus scanning, no file management, none of that legacy maintenance bull crap.

But I shouldn't have to explain how Apple loyalty works to an alleged "apple loyalist." If you NEVER bought into Apple's Post-PC vision, and if you never liked that about your iPad, then you were NEVER an Apple loyalist. Go back to your PC. Oh wait, you never left the PC. You're just concern trolling.
  • Reply 125 of 247

Over the years I have met people who are capable of breaking, losing, dropping, and destroying anything. They are clumsy, careless, and seldom give thought to whatever they are doing. And yes, they do have money to spend!

• Reply 126 of 247

I mean, seriously do you not think someone will sell a "charging folio" with a battery to the pen right in a Pencil holder? As an artist, I would want to carry both the iPad and Pencil together.

• Reply 127 of 247
    bkerkay wrote: »
    And for all we know... it might come with a female Lighting charging cable.  And the "recharge" on the iPad Pro, my be for quick emergency cases, to get another 30-60 minutes of usage. 

This! I bet the Pencil comes with a charging cable.

Everyone needs to chill out!
  • Reply 128 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you consider a real wood, graphite and rubber eraser pencil, you will notice that the graphite is a sharpened point and the eraser has a stubby flat profile. You can draw extremely fine detail, but you can only erase broad areas. With the Apple Pencil you can erase with the same level of precision that you can draw.

And if, like is usually the case with "brushes" the width is determinable (and an eraser tool is more or less simply a negative brush), then one could set the erasure width as desired....

• Reply 129 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

This! I bet the Pencil comes with a charging cable.

Everyone needs to chill out!

"needs to chill out!"

?Have you MET the interwebs?

• Reply 130 of 247
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That said, for all the concern, it's an extremely minor consideration even if it does readily jump out at you.

Its a concern for trolls only, who are desperately looking for something to complain about.

• Reply 131 of 247
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

Laughing as the Microsoft Surface is smacking down this...maybe this is Apple's idea of the GarageBand Pro...total bullshit having no removable media support coupled with locked-down file managment. TOTAL SHIT...Apple Wake Up

Said no sincere human being ever.

Where do these removable-storage-file-system-trolls come from? Its like some pathetic gathering of fools that haven't been out of the basement since 1982.

Let me give you the short answer: It doesn't have that, because it doesn't need that.

• Reply 132 of 247
    Your analogy is flawed. Nobody expects storage cubby for a mouse on a laptop because (a) nobody has done it - so there's nothing to set expectations and (2) a mouse is much larger relative to the laptop than a pencil relative to a 13" tablet, so there physically no room to do so without making the laptop grotesquely large. Neither is the case here: there are plenty of precedence of tablets and even smaller mobile devices sporting a stylus - so there can reasonably be an expectation for same in the iPad Pro.

But I didn't even have an "expectation". I simply asked a question. Instead of simple answers, I get irrelevant responses.
  • Reply 133 of 247
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasses Man View Post

it is just a big ipad air...NOTHING PRO ABOUT IT. 

In my opinion an iPad Pro would only be "Pro" if the professional needed to be mobile. If someone was working long hours as a graphic artist, an iPad is absolutely horrible from an ergonomic perspective regardless of its digital performance.

• Reply 134 of 247
    What about handwriting recognition? For those of us who never learned to touch type, adding recognition to the notes app would have been a big deal. I'm not artistic enough to have any other use for the pen.
  • Reply 135 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Since it's an accessory that many people won't even buy, no, there isn't a built in storage location, nor should there be. 

I didn't have an expectation for it on the iPad - although not inconceivable, since it *may* become a popular option.  I hoped for one on either the iPad itself or the keyboard they introduced....but, I guess Apple will be leaving it to case makers.

• Reply 136 of 247
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I expect a third party company to sell a charging solution for this.

Wouldn't surprise me to see such a dock this year.
  • Reply 137 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

1) Then how does charging work?

2) That's why people can't have nice things. 

1) Charging time is not linear.

2) ...doesn't deserve an answer....

• Reply 138 of 247
    I mean, seriously do you not think someone will sell a "charging folio" with a battery to the pen right in a Pencil holder? As an artist, I would want to carry both the iPad and Pencil together.

Guaranteed their will be a stand. Of course, since it is a lightning adaptor a female version of the iPhone 6s base adaptor shown at the Keynote will be released.
  • Reply 139 of 247
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    It would of been less than classy. It would a asshole move to do. Apple is better than that.

I know. But that pun was too good. Xp

I would have literally been biting my tongue if I was Phil.

Also, I see people combining about using the iPad to charge the Pencil.
    Wouldn't it be just as possible to charge the Pencil using an iPhone, iPod a regular iPad etc?
    I think that's cool.
  • Reply 140 of 247
    slurpy wrote: »
    tjwolf wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether Apple has included a storage location for the pencil? Looking at the iPad Pro pictures, I don't see one. On the foldable keyboard accessory perhaps? Would be a shame to lose a $100 "pencil" :-(

Since it's an accessory that many people won't even buy, no, there isn't a built in storage location, nor should there be. 

The Apple pencil is to be stored like any pencil... behind ones ear.