iOS users may eventually be able to remove unwanted default apps, says Apple's Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110
    These guys are the Pros, get it done
  • Reply 42 of 110
    Holy crap. The total space captured by these actually useful apps is probably less than the Facebook app. People need to get lives.
  • Reply 43 of 110

Ever hear of the iPod?
    You really think a person with a iPhone should carry an iPod too, I don't believe you really that think that ???? I think your just being snarky. Does an iPod do anything that an iPhone won't? I don't think so...
  • Reply 44 of 110

Ever hear of the iPod?

Very witty - I like it :D
  • Reply 45 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

...taking up space and memory.

Uh... no. They may take up space, but an app you've never run isn't taking up memory.

I also find it a bit funny that this is the same issue Microsoft had with unbundling Internet Explorer, in that other portions of the OS depended upon functionality provided by the browser.

• Reply 46 of 110

Just add a settings screen called "default apps" and let us turn them on and off.  They can still be on the device but don't need to be on the home screen.

• Reply 47 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Just add a settings screen called "default apps" and let us turn them on and off.  They can still be on the device but don't need to be on the home screen.

Oh and if you do decide to tap and hold to remove, just show a different message that it will be removed from the home screen and to go back into setting to turn it back on.

• Reply 48 of 110
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

Ever hear of the iPod?

A $400 device will solve your problem!
  • Reply 49 of 110
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

I think we're long overdue in allowing users to put icons anywhere on your screen. Keep it snapped to a grid if you must, but we're on iOS 9 and you think there would be an option to do this.

• Reply 50 of 110
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This is hilarious. A certain segment always rants, raves, castigates Apple, accuses them of skulduggery, profiteering, lack of ethics, no quality control, and a whole list of alleged unsavory actions on Apple’s part... Yet... They still buy the products? Why?

• Reply 51 of 110
    How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could.
    iBooks doesn't come with the units, Health is a required system as is GameCenter. Passbook is tied to a number of systems as well although I have to admit it's pretty useless here in New Zealand
  • Reply 52 of 110
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The problem is there's too many.

Tips should be removable but pre installed on new devices OR just put tips in the settings app.

Voice notes and notes should be the same app.

Why in God's earth is reminders separate from the calendar app?!! Fuse them.

Why in the world haven't the digital stores been merged yet? They're merged on the Mac and it's a lot simpler.
    iStore would be a cool name.
    Also add hardware in the store. This is something Giggle copied right!

They can really rethink Messages, Phone, Facetime and Contacts.

?Watch should be in Sertings. There's no excuse here. I'm guessing they did it for advertisement.

Weather and stocks fit perfectly into the lock screen or notifications bar. Heck they're already in the bar and with TouchID and 3DTouch this makes these options even simpler.

I've thought of merging ALL media into one app but the Appleogists hated the idea.

TL;DR
    Apps could easily be cut down without iPhone losing function.

Bonus:
    Podcasts is a separate app. WHY?
  • Reply 53 of 110
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    This is hilarious. A certain segment always rants, raves, castigates Apple, accuses them of skulduggery, profiteering, lack of ethics, no quality control, and a whole list of alleged unsavory actions on Apple’s part... Yet... They still buy the products? Why?
    There's actually a logical psychological phenomena that applies. The hyper complainers fundamentally believe they're helping the object of their obsession by incessant attacks. It's a perverted sort of love but there you are.
  • Reply 54 of 110

Not a big deal for me, but ok if they want to make some default apps removable. I forgot they were there until I read this article.

I also tend to install apps, stuff them in a folder, use them a few times and then forget they're there until I see them in the update list. So I'm not all that worried about cleaning out unused apps anyway.

• Reply 55 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could delete.
    While I understand your point I'm perplexed by your indication that you don't use any of those apps listed. I'm under the impression that iBooks, Notes and possibly Podcasts get universal usage.
    To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.
    This is an issue but I think what time was trying to get across is that some of these cant be easily deleted due to libs and API usage by other apps. Those could be Apple apps, or they could be third party apps.

This sort of reminds me of the early days of Linux when one guy decided to get rid of unused shared libraries in his system. What he didn't realize is that some of those shared resources are used by other apps that maybe he does use.
    I want them gone. Permanently.

I really doubt all of them will leave. There is just too much interdependence. That doesn't mean some won't leave though, just don't expect to save massive amounts of Flash storage.
  • Reply 56 of 110
  • Reply 57 of 110
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

There's actually a logical psychological phenomena that applies. The hyper complainers fundamentally believe they're helping the object of their obsession by incessant attacks. It's a perverted sort of love but there you are.

I thought it might be Stockholm Syndrome in which the victim falls in love with their tormentor. That could describe some of these AI “Apple Haters But Still Customers.” 

• Reply 58 of 110
    Yeah!!!!! But when it comes it will still be long overdue.
  • Reply 59 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could delete.

To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.

I want them gone. Permanently.

I would wager to guess that if all Apple did when they "deleted" them was simply remove them from the home screen while leaving the app there, that you wouldn't even notice that you didn't get any additional free space.

There is so much stuff that you don't use on your phone that you can't possibly notice when it's not there.  How about Accessibility support? It's taking up space.  How about other languages? iOS is fully localized into a lot of different languages, taking up space on your phone right now.  What about APIs that aren't used by any apps that you have installed?  I bet there are some fonts installed on your phone right now that take up more space than the Stocks app and that you also don't use.

Perhaps Apple could make a custom build of iOS just for your liking? I'm sure that adding the ability to fully customize the OS to your needs so you can save a few hundred meg or so would totally be worth the extra overhead needed everywhere else to make sure some necessary part of the OS wasn't removed to save space.  And certainly that tool wouldn't take up it's own space as well and people wouldn't complain about having this unnecessary customization tool for the OS.  And Apple support wouldn't make their support load bigger when they suddenly have to explain to users why removing a particular app was a bad thing.

To top it off, iOS lives on a read only partition on your device.  The amount of space that Apple has reserved for the OS is the same no matter how much space it actually takes up.  You could remove the Stocks app, for example, but the OS partition will still be the same size.  Unless you also want them to dynamically resize the partitions just to free up maybe a megabyte or two.

The real solution, no matter how much you don't like it, is to simply buy a bigger device.  Just because Apple offers you a 16GB iPhone doesn't mean you should buy it.  Get the larger device or go somewhere else.  But you can't expect Apple to customize the OS to your liking just so you can get away with buying a smaller device.

• Reply 60 of 110
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member
    Funny that AppleInsider calls Maps and Weather widely used. I've put them in the "garbage" folder on a unused homescreen