iOS users may eventually be able to remove unwanted default apps, says Apple's Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    pmz wrote: »

You're an idiot.
    What a clever, though-out reply. Thank you for the contribution to the discussion.
  • Reply 22 of 110
    Get a phone with more memory if that's your main concern.
    Or maybe Apple should dispense with the shovelware on their phones.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    This board is hilarious haha. People are idiots and cheap for wanting to removed unused and space hogging bloat that could easily be put on the App Store like other Apple apps. I suppose it's the consumers fault for buying the 16GB one instead of whipping out another $200 and buying the 128GB. Don't use the watch app? Buy a $300 watch or get some friends hahaha
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Or maybe Apple should dispense with the shovelware on their phones.

Or maybe Android is more to your liking and you should pester the folks at Android Central instead of polluting the forums here with your incessant trolling?
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Or maybe Android is more to your liking and you should pester the folks at Android Central instead of polluting the forums here with your incessant trolling?
    How is it trolling to want apps that I have little to no use for removed from my phone?
  • Reply 26 of 110

Can you provide one good reason why you should be forced to have apps on your phone you don't intend to use?
  • Reply 27 of 110
    Seems to me that weather, stocks, compass and voice memo could all go just fine.

the iPad doesn't have a built in weather app but Siri has no issue telling me that it's going to rain today. If I want anywhere but my local I can download an app.

Compass could be a feature in maps. Voice memo could be melded into notes as a feature. probably better there cause then I can add description notes etc. Great for students

Tips could be something downloaded for new users, perhaps with more info about the system which is what they need more than a hint once a week.

ibooks and podcasts could go back to being optional downloads.

Game Center is useful for those playing games but needs a revamp. Perhaps it could be like the iCloud drive app and be downloaded once someone gets a game that needs it. Add a challenge history and take it back to the layout in iOS 5 and 6 and it would be way better. Plus get developers off this crap of putting only high scores and lame achievements in GC and having all multiplayer etc in some other system. Game Center should be able to handle everything and if a game wants to use something else it should have to give the same to GC also we players have control over what we use

Activity and Health could probably be melded together. Apple Watch should be like iCloud drive and only downloaded when you need it.

I could also do with them removing a lot of the language support. why do I have keyboards etc for dozens of languages I don't understand and don't care to. same with siri voices etc.
  • Reply 28 of 110
    shev wrote: »
    This board is hilarious haha. People are idiots and cheap for wanting to removed unused and space hogging bloat that could easily be put on the App Store like other Apple apps. I suppose it's the consumers fault for buying the 16GB one instead of whipping out another $200 and buying the 128GB. Don't use the watch app? Buy a $300 watch or get some friends hahaha

I know - it's crazy how some will defend Apple's every last decision tooth and nail. I love Apple and their products too, but good grief.
  • Reply 29 of 110
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Nice ad hominem attack. Can you provide one good reason why you should be forced to have apps on your phone you don't intend to use?

Because they are tightly integrated into iOS, instead of haphazard mess, like Android.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    charlituna wrote: »
    Seems to me that weather, stocks, compass and voice memo could all go just fine.

the iPad doesn't have a built in weather app but Siri has no issue telling me that it's going to rain today. If I want anywhere but my local I can download an app.

Compass could be a feature in maps. Voice memo could be melded into notes as a feature. probably better there cause then I can add description notes etc. Great for students

Tips could be something downloaded for new users, perhaps with more info about the system which is what they need more than a hint once a week.

ibooks and podcasts could go back to being optional downloads.

Game Center is useful for those playing games but needs a revamp. Perhaps it could be like the iCloud drive app and be downloaded once someone gets a game that needs it. Add a challenge history and take it back to the layout in iOS 5 and 6 and it would be way better. Plus get developers off this crap of putting only high scores and lame achievements in GC and having all multiplayer etc in some other system. Game Center should be able to handle everything and if a game wants to use something else it should have to give the same to GC also we players have control over what we use

Activity and Health could probably be melded together. Apple Watch should be like iCloud drive and only downloaded when you need it.

I could also do with them removing a lot of the language support. why do I have keyboards etc for dozens of languages I don't understand and don't care to. same with siri voices etc.

Have you ever been involved in any kind of software development?
  • Reply 31 of 110
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev View Post

A quick glance at my "Manage Storage" screen shows there's no way a couple of built-in "Apps" is going to shove anyone all the way into the 128GB model.

• Reply 32 of 110
    I figured many of the Apps are integrated. I'm not too worried.

Possible BI headline: Apple considers first part app removal to stop iPhone decline
  • Reply 33 of 110
    Slightly off topic, but I'd love to be able to hear Bluetooth navigation through my car stereo using Apple Maps. Google has this feature but I'd prefer to use Apple Maps if I could hear it on the highway!
  • Reply 34 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Nice ad hominem attack. Can you provide one good reason why you should be forced to have apps on your phone you don't intend to use?

Can you provide one good reason why you should need to remove stock Apps from your phone that doesn't come off as a whiny, childish, way-beyond-the-definition-of-first-world-problems complaint?

You're probably one of those people that believes you own your iPhone and everything on it too.

• Reply 35 of 110

Can you provide one good reason why you should need to remove stock Apps from your phone that doesn't come off as a whiny, childish, way-beyond-the-definition-of-first-world-problems complaint?

You're probably one of those people that believes you own your iPhone and everything on it too.

You didn't answer my question, but I'll answer yours. I have a lot of music stored on my phone, so I'd like as much free space as possible. I buy 5 or 6 songs off of iTunes each week, and that adds up over time. I don't use iTunes Match in order to keep my data usage low. Some Apple apps I like a lot. Some I just don't need, and it would be nice to have the ability to uninstall them just like any regular app.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    freshmaker wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question, but I'll answer yours. I have a lot of music stored on my phone, so I'd like as much free space as possible. I buy 5 or 6 songs off of iTunes each week, and that adds up over time. I don't use iTunes Match in order to keep my data usage low. Some Apple apps I like a lot. Some I just don't need, and it would be nice to have the ability to uninstall them just like any regular app.

Ever hear of the iPod?
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could delete.

To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.

I want them gone. Permanently.

Who doesn't use Notes & Reminders? Even I use the Stocks & Passbook apps from time to time. But hey, I guess it's a Big Issue for some. 

• Reply 38 of 110

Came for the whiners, stayed for the rebuttals.  :smokey:

• Reply 39 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Who doesn't use Notes & Reminders? Even I use the Stocks & Passbook apps from time to time. But hey, I guess it's a Big Issue for some. 

I don't use Notes, but that's just because I use Evernote, though it appears as though the app may have received some love with the latest release (out tomorrow?) and perhaps that means at some point I could ditch Evernote (love it, but they're getting more insistent about wanting people to pay for their great service, can't blame them) and use Notes exclusively.

Stocks, bleck.<smile> Same with some of the other apps, I just put them in a folder called "Useless" and throw that on a page all by itself, it bothers me not a bit.

• Reply 40 of 110
    I guess this is ok but time definitely can be spent better elsewhere...