iOS users may eventually be able to remove unwanted default apps, says Apple's Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    cali wrote: »
    The problem is there's too many.

Tips should be removable but pre installed on new devices OR just put tips in the settings app.

Voice notes and notes should be the same app.
    Why on earth would you want to do that? For me Notes is very useful just the way it is.
    Why in God's earth is reminders separate from the calendar app?!! Fuse them.
    Actually this one has had me confused for some time. Maybe they need to better explain what reminders is suppose to do. Personally I'd rather see more enhancements to the calendar app.
    Why in the world haven't the digital stores been merged yet? They're merged on the Mac and it's a lot simpler.
    iStore would be a cool name.
    No way! This is a seriously bad idea, especially when you look closely at those Mac apps that just suck. ITunes is a perfect example of an app that needs more splitting up. Pulling iBooks out of iTunes should have been the start of something beautiful.
    Also add hardware in the store. This is something Giggle copied right!

They can really rethink Messages, Phone, Facetime and Contacts.

?Watch should be in Sertings. There's no excuse here. I'm guessing they did it for advertisement.

Weather and stocks fit perfectly into the lock screen or notifications bar. Heck they're already in the bar and with TouchID and 3DTouch this makes these options even simpler.
    Again I see things a bit differently with apps like weather. Weather needs enhancements to deliver more detail.
    I've thought of merging ALL media into one app but the Appleogists hated the idea.
    It isn't a question of being an "Appleogists" it is a question of maintains functionality and clean interfaces.
    TL;DR
    Apps could easily be cut down without iPhone losing function.
    Some stuff could go but I'd really would like to see some of the supplied apps improved.
    Bonus:
    Podcasts is a separate app. WHY?
    Because Podcasts are a separate concept? Why people don't grasp this is beyond me.
  • Reply 62 of 110
    Just move them to another folder OR get bigger storage. Simple as that.
  • Reply 63 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    cropr wrote: »
    Funny that AppleInsider calls Maps and Weather widely used. I've put them in the "garbage" folder on a unused homescreen

Maps is great, I use it when traveling and frankly it always gets me to where I'm going. I've never understood the hate for Maps as it works fine for me.

I use Weather even more frequently but here I could see Apple making many improvements. For one I'd like Weather to deliver severe weather notifications.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Maps is great, I use it when traveling and frankly it always gets me to where I'm going. I've never understood the hate for Maps as it works fine for me.

I use Weather even more frequently but here I could see Apple making many improvements. For one I'd like Weather to deliver severe weather notifications.

I use both regularly, even though the depth to yahoo made forecasts much less accurate where I am living, and maps driving me close to nuts whenever I would like to pan and zoom when the "show direction you're facing"-button was enabled - at least prior to iOS9 since it seems they fixed that.
  • Reply 65 of 110
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Funny that AppleInsider calls Maps and Weather widely used. I've put them in the "garbage" folder on a unused homescreen
    And I use both routinely. Mileage varies.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is no big deal.

Apple needs to keep some apps on the phone to allow smooth integration like with Maps.

So of the other Apps are stand alone.  But really how hard is it to put all those apps in a seperate folder on a seperate page?  The reason Apple does not want them to be delete is because non-power users may erase them by mistake and not know how to get them back. 

This is like going to a buffet and grumbling that one of the 100 dishes is roast chicken.  You hate roast chicken.  All you have to do is ignore roast chicken.  No one is forcing you to eat it.  
    Didn't you say Apple wasn't going to keep the 6 and 6 Plus around at $100 cheaper because it would cannibalize the flagship devices? What say you now?
  • Reply 67 of 110
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Uh... no. They may take up space, but an app you've never run isn't taking up memory.

I also find it a bit funny that this is the same issue Microsoft had with unbundling Internet Explorer, in that other portions of the OS depended upon functionality provided by the browser.

But a Apple doesn't have a monopoly.

Why is that funny? Do you represent a majority of users? I use both.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.

I want them gone. Permanently.

Thought about providing a list with how much space all those apps take up individually?  Is it such a big issue?

The camp seems split on this one.

• Reply 69 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

I also find it a bit funny that this is the same issue Microsoft had with unbundling Internet Explorer, in that other portions of the OS depended upon functionality provided by the browser.

There is an argument to be made that Microsoft was unfairly targeted in regards to Internet Explorer and Windows, especially seeing how other platforms have integrated their browsers into their platforms (Safari/WebKit in OS X/iOS, Chrome in Android). 

I think the bigger issue with Microsoft at the time was that they were also seen as actively making Netscape work worse on Windows, by using private APIs and the like.  But I'm not even sure if I buy that explanation -- for one, every application and OS in the world has private APIs. You can't make everything public and even if you could, that doesn't mean you should.  The other is that it was pretty clear from the initial Mozilla source code dump that Netscape had their own issues that weren't caused by Microsoft.

Fast forward to today and we have more egregious forms of bundling happening than ever happened during the height of Windows and IE's popularity.  We have app stores now that come shipped on the devices, we have browsers deeply integrated into the OS, we even have rules that restrict developers from making browsers with a different rendering engine on a particular device.  But clearly the world has moved on from where we were 15 years ago.

• Reply 70 of 110

I hope this happens before I need more than one "Garbage" folder to handle all the built-in apps that I never use.

• Reply 71 of 110
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

There is an argument to be made that Microsoft was unfairly targeted in regards to Internet Explorer and Windows, especially seeing how other platforms have integrated their browsers into their platforms (Safari/WebKit in OS X/iOS, Chrome in Android). 

I think the bigger issue with Microsoft at the time was that they were also seen as actively making Netscape work worse on Windows, by using private APIs and the like.  But I'm not even sure if I buy that explanation -- for one, every application and OS in the world has private APIs. You can't make everything public and even if you could, that doesn't mean you should.  The other is that it was pretty clear from the initial Mozilla source code dump that Netscape had their own issues that weren't caused by Microsoft.

Fast forward to today and we have more egregious forms of bundling happening than ever happened during the height of Windows and IE's popularity.  We have app stores now that come shipped on the devices, we have browsers deeply integrated into the OS, we even have rules that restrict developers from making browsers with a different rendering engine on a particular device.  But clearly the world has moved on from where we were 15 years ago.

I think the big difference is that someone like Apple makes the entire experience, hardware and software.  Microsoft was essentially licensing software to other companies to use but locking that "device" into their "ecosystem" so to speak.  If Microsoft had their own hardware at the time they did that, there most likely would not have been a problem on their equipment, just if they did it to others.

• Reply 72 of 110
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Because they are tightly integrated into iOS, instead of haphazard mess, like Android.

Perhaps some folks here are too young to recall, but Cook's statements are eerily similar to those made by MS when they were faced with having to decouple IE from Windows. Granted, the legal situation does not apply here (iPhone is not a monopoly), but some of the same principals apply. What does it do to the 3rd party ecosystem if everyone just uses the built-in apps because they are stuck with them so they might as well use them? Imagine how much more robust and competitive that ecosystem would be if 90% of users didn't just settle for the built-in apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Who doesn't use Notes & Reminders? Even I use the Stocks & Passbook apps from time to time. But hey, I guess it's a Big Issue for some. 

Um, me. I occasionally use Notes as a temporary scratch pad. I'll probably use it more once iOS 9 comes out. Reminders pales in comparison to any number of other reminder apps available. Stocks? I'm not so obsessive compulsive about my investments to need to check stock prices throughout the day. Stocks is my vote for the most useless build-in app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I understand your point I'm perplexed by your indication that you don't use any of those apps listed. I'm under the impression that iBooks...

Don't use iBooks either. It's also in my "Garbage" folder. It's main purpose in being included isn't because it's in any way integral to the operating system. It's there to intercept potential ebook purchasers before they stumble across the Kindle app. And before any hyper-pro-Apple-can-do-no-wrong folks accuse me of bashing Apple, I'm not suggesting they are doing anything illegal or illicit. But if you think Apple including iBooks is purely for the convenience of the consumer without any ulterior motive, you are fooling yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I try Maps every couple of months. It's better, but still fails miserably more often than it should so I end up going back to Google. It's fine if you have an exact address that you are trying to get to, but still seems to struggle whenever you rely on it figuring out what you are looking for without an address. And hopefully in iOS 9 it will be better at taking your current location into account when searching for things. When I was standing in the North Chagrin forest preserve outside of Cleveland and search for Squire's Castle, Maps insisted on trying to route me to locations in the UK rather than the location in the park that is less than 1 mile away. Google Maps is a cluttered mess, but it works 99.9% of the time. I'll put up with the clutter if it means finding what I'm looking for (although if Google adds any more clutter the balance may shift towards Apple's favor).

I'm not going to try to make the argument that the apps take up too much space or whatever. They are all pretty small space-wise. My argument is that I should be able to remove them simply for the reason that I have no interest in using them.

• Reply 73 of 110
    Quote:

Except none of those platforms have the 95% monopoly that MS had with Windows at the time. If iOS was 95% of the mobile device market there is a good bet that Apple would be getting scrutinized for bundling many of the apps it currently bundles, specifically those apps which drive customers to their profit making apps such as iBooks.

• Reply 74 of 110
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

There's actually a logical psychological phenomena that applies. The hyper complainers fundamentally believe they're helping the object of their obsession by incessant attacks. It's a perverted sort of love but there you are.

I suspect that those who are driven to defend Apple's decisions against others' complaints, no matter how moderately expressed, are suffering from some psychological phenomenon of their own. 

I will listen to arguments that demonstrate critical thinking on either side. I don't think there's any utility for anybody in mindlessly attacking or defending Apple. And just because somebody's idea is different than yours doesn't that either of you is mindless. 

• Reply 75 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Except none of those platforms have the 95% monopoly that MS had with Windows at the time. If iOS was 95% of the mobile device market there is a good bet that Apple would be getting scrutinized for bundling many of the apps it currently bundles, specifically those apps which drive customers to their profit making apps such as iBooks.

Yes, clearly iOS is not a monopoly platform. I'm not even convinced that if their market share was closer to 95% if this would be an issue. As pointed out above, Apple makes the whole platform -- hardware and OS. There is no requirement that says that if someone makes a product that they must allow access to it by other companies.  The only reason anyone can make apps for the iPhone is because Apple allowed it.

The problems with Microsoft, IMO, more to do with the fact that they were able to write contracts in such a way that OEMs couldn't reasonably offer alternatives to Microsoft software without severe economic penalties. If an OEM wanted to bundle Netscape, the contracts with Microsoft would effectively cut off that opportunity.  This is where Microsoft crossed the line, not in the bundling itself, IMO.

• Reply 76 of 110
    Great. Now how about a stock calculator for the iPad.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Nice ad hominem attack. Can you provide one good reason why you should be forced to have apps on your phone you don't intend to use?

Because they are tightly integrated into iOS, instead of haphazard mess, like Android.

A bit of history you and many here are unaware of. All of Google's apps used to be based into the OS until Samsung made the Galaxy S2 which in the US went by names (Captivate, Fascinate, etc..) instead of SGS 2. Samsung omitted many of Google's apps most notably Google Search making Bing the defaults search. To prevent that from happening again Google separated many of its apps from the OS and put them on the Play Store.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Why don't they just add a setting to make it invisible on the home screen and allow the code to still be there so it doesn't cause any problems? Most people just don't want to look at them.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    Quote:

Yes, clearly iOS is not a monopoly platform. I'm not even convinced that if their market share was closer to 95% if this would be an issue. As pointed out above, Apple makes the whole platform -- hardware and OS. There is no requirement that says that if someone makes a product that they must allow access to it by other companies.  The only reason anyone can make apps for the iPhone is because Apple allowed it.

The problems with Microsoft, IMO, more to do with the fact that they were able to write contracts in such a way that OEMs couldn't reasonably offer alternatives to Microsoft software without severe economic penalties. If an OEM wanted to bundle Netscape, the contracts with Microsoft would effectively cut off that opportunity.  This is where Microsoft crossed the line, not in the bundling itself, IMO.

Fair point. MS's influence over the OEMs was the meat of the antitrust case. IE bundling was just the part that got all of the media attention.

• Reply 80 of 110
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just hide them on a different screen if they're really that bothersome. Some people... ????

I don't think it's really a big deal.  Put them in a drawer and throw it on the last page with your rarely used Apps and then don't give it a second thought.   They are first party Apps and so a part of the OS.  If you look at Windows on the Desktop for example, you get things like Faxing, or Movie Maker and a few games, etc that are all part of Windows and are First party Apps.  I don't worry about that either.   It's the 3rd party crapware that's thrown on top of Windows and Android that's really annoying!!!  iOS doesn't have that issue.  Every OS has stuff some people may not want!!!   Hidden completely would be nice, but really, there's other things I'd rather have Apple work on first.  It's just such a low priority thing.