iOS users may eventually be able to remove unwanted default apps, says Apple's Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    I like the way if I don't like the compulsory apps, then somehow I'm at fault for disagreeing with almighty Apple! Rather than the device fitting into my individual requirements, I must realign my view to that of the central authority.

Brilliant bigotry there, fanboys.
  • Reply 82 of 110
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could delete.

To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.

I want them gone. Permanently.

So you don't use Apple Pay?  because that uses Passbook.   Notes I thing gets better in iOS9 and comes in handy and so does reminders.  iBooks I use for a bunch of PDF manuals for equipment at work.  It's easy enough to use and comes in handy for me.   Game Center I use some, same with Health as the Phone by it's self does track things.   Podcasts can go.  To little to late, I use Downcast.  Stocks I don't really care about, I own none, other then what gets infested into my IRA.    Tips can come in handy to learn some new feature.  I sure don't know everything and more gets added with each major OS update.  Newsstand?!?!  See what happens with iOS9 for that.  Apple Watch,  No plans any time soon so it could go away.

Still, throw them in a drawer, throw that on the last page and don't worry about it.

• Reply 83 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Get a phone with more memory if that's your main concern.

Even IF you could delete them, iOS in general isn't all that large in size.  Deleting a few Apps you don't use will save you very little space!!!  

• Reply 84 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Or maybe Apple should dispense with the shovelware on their phones.

Oh maybe people USE those Apps that You don't!!!   Some of the Apps people are listing is just dumb like Passbook which is needed for Apple pay.  Apple like Microsoft and Google and others in the past can add ANYTHING to their OS that they want.  They are First party Apps.  Android has a number of them, Windows has a number of them, Blackberry has it's share.   I don't have a problem with this on any OS.   

I do have issues with 3rd party crapware thrown on top of the OS.  Key work being 3RD PARTY!!!  Even if you could delete them, you would be saving very little space.  iOS isn't that large of a OS.  The Apps people are listing aren't HUGE.   You're not going to gain much space.  Some of the things like Notes and Reminders, etc will start limiting features SIRI can do.   From the sounds of things, people are barley doing anything with their phones but the most basic.  What a waste.

• Reply 85 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Brilliant bigotry there, fanboys.

Of course bigotry is never a nice thing, but on the other hand "fanboys" exudes respect. :no:

• Reply 86 of 110
    Or maybe Apple should dispense with the shovelware on their phones.

it's not shovelware. they're part of the OS. a mobile OS needs maps. it needs podcasts. it needs email. it needs a voice recorder. etc... you may not use those features, but they're there to cover all basic use cases.
  • Reply 87 of 110
    cali wrote: »
    The problem is there's too many.

Tips should be removable but pre installed on new devices OR just put tips in the settings app.

Voice notes and notes should be the same app.

Why in God's earth is reminders separate from the calendar app?!! Fuse them.

Why in the world haven't the digital stores been merged yet? They're merged on the Mac and it's a lot simpler.
    iStore would be a cool name.
    Also add hardware in the store. This is something Giggle copied right!

They can really rethink Messages, Phone, Facetime and Contacts.

?Watch should be in Sertings. There's no excuse here. I'm guessing they did it for advertisement.

Weather and stocks fit perfectly into the lock screen or notifications bar. Heck they're already in the bar and with TouchID and 3DTouch this makes these options even simpler.

I've thought of merging ALL media into one app but the Appleogists hated the idea.

TL;DR
    Apps could easily be cut down without iPhone losing function.

Bonus:
    Podcasts is a separate app. WHY?

disagree. I like having podcasts separate from Music, because it's, well, not music. likewise with reminders -- reminders aren't calendar events. ex: "find my sunglasses" -- why in gods name would that go in Calendar? madness.
  • Reply 88 of 110
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    A bit of history you and many here are unaware of. All of Google's apps used to be based into the OS until Samsung made the Galaxy S2 which in the US went by names (Captivate, Fascinate, etc..) instead of SGS 2. Samsung omitted many of Google's apps most notably Google Search making Bing the defaults search. To prevent that from happening again Google separated many of its apps from the OS and put them on the Play Store.

Considering you can't call it Android without Google Apps, did they really relent?
  • Reply 89 of 110
    jungmark wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    A bit of history you and many here are unaware of. All of Google's apps used to be based into the OS until Samsung made the Galaxy S2 which in the US went by names (Captivate, Fascinate, etc..) instead of SGS 2. Samsung omitted many of Google's apps most notably Google Search making Bing the defaults search. To prevent that from happening again Google separated many of its apps from the OS and put them on the Play Store.

Considering you can't call it Android without Google Apps, did they really relent?

Did who relent?
  • Reply 90 of 110
    For all the "hide them" comments: it%u2019s not about screen real estate; it%u2019s about storage space on smaller devices. I have a 64GB iPhone and still get "can%u2019t sync X because another 500KB-1M is needed." Having that extra few megs would alleviate this problem.

The solution to this problem is instead of relying on implementations, Apple should rely on interfaces; so any NavApp that fulfills the hooks needed by the OS could be assigned as the default maps app, and any Apps the fulfills the Calendar interface could be designated as the interface for any external Calendar functions. This problem has been seen & solved on previous platforms, so a solution is not as tough as Apple is playing it out to be. It might not be as easy as designating data stream X to be routed to App Y instead of Apple App X, but the techniques to make that happen are well documented in other CS fields. This is also something I have been calling for since Fantastical & Waze took over for Calendar and Maps on my iPhone4 about 5 years ago.

I think the biggest resistance is Apple itself, not wanting to see its apps tossed out in favor of better ones. This would force those app teams to either get more competitive (refine their UI, expand useful features - not just the eye candy - and fix longstanding bugs) or update their resumes and move over for people that would be able to compete. Or Apple could buy the market leaders and all them to replace the defaults.

If Apple wanted to give people more reasons to switch away from Apple, this sort of what's best for Apple vs. what's best for their end users PoV is a great way to go.
  • Reply 91 of 110
    You would think that APPLE would Keep on Improving their Stock APPS, making them equal to or better than the Apps offered that people seem to use. I want to utilize the integrated Apps that Apple offers, in order to get the most out of my device. On going improvement, listening to the actual users, folks that write in suggestions, would go a long way connect with the people that need and expect the highest quality products.
  • Reply 92 of 110
    cropr wrote: »
    Funny that AppleInsider calls Maps and Weather widely used. I've put them in the "garbage" folder on a unused homescreen

third party network traffic, and Apple's own statements reveal that it's not humor, it's fact.
  • Reply 93 of 110
    noivad wrote: »
    I think the biggest resistance is Apple itself, not wanting to see its apps tossed out in favor of better ones.

yeah except that in the very interview you're commenting on Cook said that isn't why. he said it's not as easy to do (technically, ie the code base for iOS) as it looks
  • Reply 94 of 110
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Do you have a number for how much space they take up? I've long been curious but haven't ever seen an actual number.

At least you can uninstall most if not all of those carrier apps. And for the ones that you can't, you can disable them so they can't run at all and don't show up on the home screen or app drawer
  • Reply 95 of 110
    Some of those apps are actually pretty decent.
  • Reply 96 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

iBooks doesn't come with the units, Health is a required system as is GameCenter. Passbook is tied to a number of systems as well although I have to admit it's pretty useless here in New Zealand

Most of those apps are just front ends to back end functionality that's going to be there anyway, like panels in the Control panels in window.

So, people will be saving a few megabytes removing those apps... (because they're not removing the back end).

I stick the ones I don't use in one folder in the last page and that's it; never to be seen again (If I don't want too).

• Reply 97 of 110
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noivad View Post

For all the "hide them" comments: it%u2019s not about screen real estate; it%u2019s about storage space on smaller devices. I have a 64GB iPhone and still get "can%u2019t sync X because another 500KB-1M is needed." Having that extra few megs would alleviate this problem.

The solution to this problem is instead of relying on implementations, Apple should rely on interfaces; so any NavApp that fulfills the hooks needed by the OS could be assigned as the default maps app, and any Apps the fulfills the Calendar interface could be designated as the interface for any external Calendar functions. This problem has been seen & solved on previous platforms, so a solution is not as tough as Apple is playing it out to be. It might not be as easy as designating data stream X to be routed to App Y instead of Apple App X, but the techniques to make that happen are well documented in other CS fields. This is also something I have been calling for since Fantastical & Waze took over for Calendar and Maps on my iPhone4 about 5 years ago.

I think the biggest resistance is Apple itself, not wanting to see its apps tossed out in favor of better ones. This would force those app teams to either get more competitive (refine their UI, expand useful features - not just the eye candy - and fix longstanding bugs) or update their resumes and move over for people that would be able to compete. Or Apple could buy the market leaders and all them to replace the defaults.

If Apple wanted to give people more reasons to switch away from Apple, this sort of what's best for Apple vs. what's best for their end users PoV is a great way to go.

Indeed, this problem as [at least partially] been solved by Apple itself. The new defunct Sync Services managed passing data between applications, and not just Apple's own calendar and contact apps. On your Mac you can set default email and photo applications, including from third parties. The share sheet in iOS allows you to manually pass tidbits of data between applications. Unless Apple hardcoded the dependencies on these apps into iOS itself it's a very solvable problem. Perhaps not trivial, but solvable and by no means a new thing for Apple to figure out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

yeah except that in the very interview you're commenting on Cook said that isn't why. he said it's not as easy to do (technically, ie the code base for iOS) as it looks

And Steve Jobs said I'd need to file down my fingers to use a tablet the size of my iPad mini. Do you believe everything an Apple executive says? I'm a bit surprised Tim Cook even would publicly admit to Apple looking into the possibility, but any good exec is going to leave themselves an out in the event they don't don't deliver (for whatever reason).

Perhaps Apple did hardcode a lot of stuff directly into the OS in order to make the early iPhones as fast and efficient as they were, and that would make it much more technically challenging. I doubt this would have been the case. But if it is, today's hardware should no longer need such extreme measures to optimize performance.

• Reply 98 of 110
    noivad wrote: »
    Or you can remove 1-2 songs, 1-2 images.

Haha. Apple doesn't make money on the apps. They're there for convenience and ease of use. The people who want to remove them already downloaded other third party replacements.

That thinking has sure hurt them since the iPhone came out. People are jumping ship as we speak.
  • Reply 99 of 110
    cali wrote: »
    A $400 device will solve your problem!

Because you want a container for your music.
  • Reply 100 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

If people are really that picky, then they need to get something else to do. For one, I try and use all those apps. The tips app is really nice, it has taught me stuff. The AppleWatch app is nice too, if you don't like it, maybe you should get an AppleWatch and actually use it! It's not a big deal people. If you're truly that picky, get a life and focus on something other than a piece of software.... Maybe family? Friends?

Those who don't want many Apps because of limited storage need to get an iPhone with larger storage.

The Stocks App has been mentioned by several as useless to them.  Well the stocks app allows me to make more money !

However I support changing of things a bit so the unneeded and unwanted Apps can be user deleted.