Apple launches iOS 9 with iPad multitasking, 'proactive' Siri, better battery life & more

124678

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 159



    Not what I meant.  The app is not in my iPad at all.  I have no news app.

  • Reply 62 of 159
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

     

     

    image

    image

    image

    image




    Yup, same with me.  Basically the phone is bricked until I get the restore on it.  First time I have had this issue.  Nice one Apple.

  • Reply 63 of 159
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rwes View Post

     

    However, an OTA update, for the most part, works very similarly to what happens on the desktop. The 'image' is download, extracted and then overwrites what's on your device. 


    It is a little different probably, especially since the issue with 16GB phones not having enough space. Now the OTA uses sequential, smaller packages instead of one big package, hence more opportunity for failed connection to the server during peak demand. Also the iOS device has much less RAM to work with. In some cases the desktop is wired to Ethernet which would be even better, taking WiFi out of the equation. Also I would imagine backing up locally is much faster than iCloud backup.

  • Reply 64 of 159
    ljc94512 wrote: »

    Not what I meant.  The app is not in my iPad at all.  I have no news app.

    Same. According to Macworld UK it's not available to some users (UK included) yet. Which seems odd as I had been trialing it on iOS 9.1beta before here in the UK and it was all working fine. See no reason for it not to be here now and it was the feature I most wanted.
  • Reply 65 of 159
    rwesrwes Posts: 174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

     

    It is a little different probably, especially since the issue with 16GB phones not having enough space. Now the OTA uses sequential, smaller packages instead of one big package, hence more opportunity for failed connection to the server during peak demand. Also the iOS device has much less RAM to work with. In some cases the desktop is wired to Ethernet which would be even better, taking WiFi out of the equation. Also I would imagine backing up locally is much faster than iCloud backup.


     

    I don't believe it uses sequential smaller packages actually; Just smaller packages. The overall 'images' are just smaller; I don't know the specifics of how apple shrunk things, but when your device indicates needing just 1.3 (ish) gigs for update, that's all it needs and is all grabbed at once.

     

    RAM is not an issue during the update process; Apples advantage in controlling the entire device. Nothing else is using RAM during the update process and even the update process itself probably doesn't extract to RAM. After all, the OS isn't written to RAM.

     

    Your point re wired vs. wireless connections would be correct, if the image wasn't checked (for corruption) before being used, but you're right, less retries during the actually download process probably.

     

    Backing up is a different story and on that front, I'd say of course, you're limited by your bandwidth and local > iCloud. However, IMO iCloud is always available and more convenient than local. Don't always have a laptop/desktop with me to backup to.

     

    Edit/Added: I do get what you mean (understand better) regarding backup now actually. Not that everyone works the way I do (not going to assume that), but backups on device are very quick (still not as quick in some cases), if you've been backing up to the device regulary; they're differential. And "Transfer Purchases" is not an issue. Additional, I always hated having to transfer purchases of Apps that wont run on my computer, to my computer, just so they could then be restored back to my device after a backup.
  • Reply 66 of 159

    Just downloaded and installing now. I hope iOS9 is as solid as everyone says it is. I never played with the beta and am really looking forward to it.

     

    I usually wait at least a few days to update just in case, but all indicators point to this being a good update.

  • Reply 67 of 159
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,425member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

     

    Sluggish performance on iPad 3 now, press an icon and there is a delay till it opens


     

    Hmmm. News not good. For Me.

  • Reply 68 of 159
    rwesrwes Posts: 174member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

     



    Not what I meant.  The app is not in my iPad at all.  I have no news app.


     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post





    Same. According to Macworld UK it's not available to some users (UK included) yet. Which seems odd as I had been trialing it on iOS 9.1beta before here in the UK and it was all working fine. See no reason for it not to be here now and it was the feature I most wanted.



    Ah, gotcha - mis read. Not cool (that it's missing/not included for all).

  • Reply 69 of 159
    Eventually, the aggregators will have to restructure contracts as yes any aspect of a website can be blocked with Adblock. Eventually, these massive drains on a web site to load won't force companies to charge because they know that's a dead end. It means advertisers will actually have to think and do more than target click patterns. They'll have to brand with web sites and within the content of videos and other immersive info leverage that, not a bunch of stickers all over a web site.

    The "but but but think of the advertisers" trolls can now take heart! Google, the advertisers' white knight in shining armor, is working to subvert ad blockers and force those pesky users to view ads! Because, let's face it: Google's advertisers are their (true) customers because they pay Google money. The people using Google search engine and Chrome for "free" are the commodity Googs sell to advertisers. It's just like the time they hacked Safari users privacy settings.

    http://news.sky.com/story/1548796/google-punishes-users-of-ad-blocking-software
  • Reply 70 of 159
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,469member

    Download quickly and without issue. Installed without issue. Running iOS 9 just fine. I’m in the Midwest near St. Louis.

  • Reply 71 of 159
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,425member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    time to upgrade


     

    Agree! I was going to upgrade to a 4, but now I think I'm going to see if iPad Air gains support for Pencil next fall. 

  • Reply 72 of 159
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

     

    Sluggish performance on iPad 3 now, press an icon and there is a delay till it opens


     

    Hmmm. News not good. For Me.


    I wish I could remember where I read it. While the iPad 3 won't get some new features like side by side apps, iOS 9 was supposed to breathe new life into older machines and NOT make them worse this time.

     

    @DarenDino I wonder if something went wrong with the install. Maybe do a factory reset? I am not sure. Sorry to hear that you are having sluggishness. Keep us updated if it gets any better.

  • Reply 73 of 159
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

     

    Sluggish performance on iPad 3 now, press an icon and there is a delay till it opens




    I've hadd sluggish performance on my iPad 3 since iOS 8. I'm not sure why you thought iOS 9 would improve on that. OS X Daily had an article, and they actually recommended against upgrading the iPad 3 and a few other older units. Here's the article: http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/14/prepare-for-ios-9/

  • Reply 74 of 159
    Downloaded. But now it won't let me update any of my apps? It says I have 12 available, but only give me an open button. There is no update button.
  • Reply 75 of 159
    sphericspheric Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Can you recommend any good free adblockers for iOS9?

    Crystal appears to work well and is free on an introductory promo: http://crystalapp.co
  • Reply 76 of 159
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

     

    I update to iOS 9 on iPad Air 2, and the newsstand app is gone.  But there is also no new 'news' app.  What on earth is happening?




    Did you have active subscriptions? That would be peculiar, maybe it's in some folder? 

     

    Plan "B"? Download the new iOS 9 users manual and look in the index.

  • Reply 77 of 159
    Waiting at the Apple Store because 9 bricked my iPhone 6 Plus. Everyone is super nice but this is not how I wanted to spend my lunch. This is a stock iPhone that has not been modified in any way so I was surprised that it locked up. It went to restore mode and would not recover using iTunes.
  • Reply 78 of 159
    Apple Pay no longer works for me, it won't let me add my card again. Nice.
  • Reply 79 of 159
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

     

     

    Agree! I was going to upgrade to a 4, but now I think I'm going to see if iPad Air gains support for Pencil next fall. 




    I think you are going to be waiting a long time. Pretty sure that some of the Pencil support is built into the screen - hence no support for legacy devices.

  • Reply 80 of 159
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

     

    Downloaded on iTunes and updated my iPhone 5s. NP, went fast ... down for about 10-15 mins, then powered up with no issues. Got a lot of app updates though.

     

    Now I have to wipe the 9.1Beta off of my iPad Air 1 before I can download the release iOS 9.




    Same here. Just for now I decided to stay on the 9.1PB.

Sign In or Register to comment.