Apple launches iOS 9 with iPad multitasking, 'proactive' Siri, better battery life & more

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cornchip wrote: »
    I haven't even updated and my battery life the past couple months has been similar. Just chewing through battery at an unbelievable rate. So I replaced it. No different. I've checked my background location usage and all seems in order. Not sure what else it could be. Pulled my (iPhone 5) off the charger at 6AM and I'm @ 67% now at 10AM with light usage. Real irritating.

Have you tried putting it in airplane mode for a bit to see if the rate of drain is the same? Email push?
  • Reply 142 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Have you tried putting it in airplane mode for a bit to see if the rate of drain is the same? Email push?

Email is all fetch. I'll give airplane mode a shot though, good idea. Although, it does seem to happen primarily while I'm using it, although I haven't kept track scientifically. 

• Reply 143 of 159
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

I haven't even updated and my battery life the past couple months has been similar. Just chewing through battery at an unbelievable rate. So I replaced it. No different. I've checked my background location usage and all seems in order. Not sure what else it could be. Pulled my (iPhone 5) off the charger at 6AM and I'm @ 67% now at 10AM with light usage. Real irritating.

Huh. What's the battery consumption settings list show? Got a big user you weren't aware of?

ETA: One thing is low signal areas will cause the phone to crank up the power to it's cellular receivers, that's even noted in the battery usage table with the notation next to the culprit ("Low Signal") IIRC. I see that sometimes when traveling. The other thing that I've noted REALLY sucks power is when I run a navigation request: the need for constant positioning and data transports out on the open road where sometimes signals aren't great really can drop my battery, and navigation WILL run in the background if you don't end the route....

But "fetch" mean your device is at some set interval checking back to your servers? That's consuming power. On the Mail.. Fetch New Data it states: "for better battery life fetch less frequently" Me, I have it set to "push" so unless there's a message I don't have my phone checking to an empty inbox... Perhaps a setting there changed or you're in a different signal strength environment that previously, tower is down, you moved into an inner room or a building with a different viewpoint.. Sometimes only a few feet can matter. My new office has full cell bars and WiFi clocking at 80-100 MB while about 40 feet away at the corner of our lab in another office: barely one bar and WiFi that is a trickle, 5 or 10 MB on a good day, no signal at all other times. The wired network rocks all over, north of 800 MB per, but the over air is spotty, surprisingly so. Now that I think of it they're over a machine space, I wonder if they're getting fried by something from below?

• Reply 144 of 159
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Huh. What's the battery consumption settings list show? Got a big user you weren't aware of?

Totally forgot about that feature! Safari is using about a third, but I rarely use it. Looks like I might have a Safari tab that's trying to do stuff in the background. I'll look into it - Thanks!

Oh, and I thought "fetch" meant that Mail only went to look for new emails when you opened the app. I'll double check that also.

• Reply 145 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Totally forgot about that feature! Safari is using about a third, but I rarely use it. Looks like I might have a Safari tab that's trying to do stuff in the background. I'll look into it - Thanks!

Oh, and I thought "fetch" meant that Mail only went to look for new emails when you opened the app. I'll double check that also.

No, you can set a time interval for the going to check for new mail. It's variable, maybe can be turned completely off so it would act as you'd assumed.....

ETA: Yes, you can set it to "manually" or a series of time intervals.

• Reply 146 of 159
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Anybody with an iPhone 5s notice any slowdown after updating? After installing iOS 7 on my 4s and having it bog it down to the point of it being unusable, I am reluctant to do any major updates any more.
  • Reply 147 of 159
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    tyler82 wrote: »
    Anybody with an iPhone 5s notice any slowdown after updating? After installing iOS 7 on my 4s and having it bog it down to the point of it being unusable, I am reluctant to do any major updates any more.

I haven't done any scientific testing, but neither my 5s nor the iPad Air 2 feel at all slower to me.
  • Reply 148 of 159
    tyler82 wrote: »
    I've updated the same two devices as spheric: iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2.

I haven't noticed a slowdown, but I have noticed several situations where I have trouble scrolling the screen; it seems the screen is frozen, not responding to my finger swipes. Eventually it responds but in a somewhat jagged fashion.

I hope that future upgrades of iOS or the apps will fix this.

In general, I like iOS a lot.
  • Reply 149 of 159
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

My iPhone 4 is slightly slower with iOS7, but the new functions speed me up using it.

I suggest a backup and restore for your iPhone 4s. Storage may be very fragmented.

I'm not installing iOS9 on my 5c until at least update 2.

• Reply 150 of 159
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    josha wrote: »
    My iPhone 4 is slightly slower with iOS7, but the new functions speed me up using it.
    I suggest a backup and restore for your iPhone 4s. Storage may be very fragmented.

I'm not installing iOS9 on my 5c until at least update 2.

Fragmentation is completely irrelevant for Flash storage.

(Actually, it's slightly preferable to have data spread over as many cells as possible - "fragmenting" it as much as possible - but the speed difference is negligible.)
  • Reply 151 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

I haven't done any scientific testing, but neither my 5s nor the iPad Air 2 feel at all slower to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

I've updated the same two devices as spheric: iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2.

I haven't noticed a slowdown, but I have noticed several situations where I have trouble scrolling the screen; it seems the screen is frozen, not responding to my finger swipes. Eventually it responds but in a somewhat jagged fashion.

I hope that future upgrades of iOS or the apps will fix this.

In general, I like iOS a lot.

Haha! DAMMIT! My glassy eyes read iPhone 5 and iPad 2!  :\  

I haven't updated yet, might wait to see what performance is like from others. I might eventually update the iPhones 5 and iPad 3, but I'm not so sure it'd be a good idea for the 2.

• Reply 152 of 159
    Why are you still running this article as if all is well! Like 'grossjr',my iPhone is now useless. I have tried all the tweets and 'get arounds' to no avail. The article sounds great, but with a USELESS machine, impaired by BAD programming on Apple's behalf, it doesn't add up to a handful of beans!
    Watch out for ANGRY readers. It works ok on my iPad. Pull your fingers out boys! Apple should be 'busting a gut' to sort this out or else!!
  • Reply 153 of 159
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    greatrix wrote: »
    Why are you still running this article as if all is well! Like 'grossjr',my iPhone is now useless. I have tried all the tweets and 'get arounds' to no avail. The article sounds great, but with a USELESS machine, impaired by BAD programming on Apple's behalf, it doesn't add up to a handful of beans!
    Watch out for ANGRY readers. It works ok on my iPad. Pull your fingers out boys! Apple should be 'busting a gut' to sort this out or else!!

You do know the vast majority of people are having no issues at all, yes? That the world doesn't revolve around you?

I don't doubt that some people had upgrade issues, even major brick issues, but for most people this didn't happen. Which is why most places are reporting things as if all is well. Because for most people it is.

I updated 2 iPads, one old enough that everyone warned me not to update. No issues. The old mini actually runs better on 9 than on 8. Also upgraded 4 iPhones, all fine. Zero issues, 2 running better than ever.

I am not therefore asking why everyone isn't reporting this like the second coming. Because I know I am not the center of existance, and that YMMV...
  • Reply 154 of 159

I don't take anything back out of what I wrote. I did say that the program loaded safely on my iPad and it is a good, well thought out program, but there is non-the-less, a bug. Apple have acknowledge that, affecting iPhones. I have tried all the suggestions for fixing it, so far without success. I do have a copy of my files in iTunes. Someone suggested that I hadn't back up, which i have. None of the 'bright' suggestions and slurs on my abilities help. My concern is to restore my iPhone sans the faulty program defects. So thank you all for our 'helpful' suggestions and remarks about my competence. It is interesting that none of you have commented on the culpability and errors  of Apple programmers, Do I detect starry eyes?

• Reply 155 of 159

"interesting that none of you have commented on the culpability and errors  of Apple programmers, Do I detect starry eyes?"

So from that I can safely gather you're not interested in a solution, just a scapegoat.

Meh. Too emo.

• Reply 156 of 159
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

I don't take anything back out of what I wrote. I did say that the program loaded safely on my iPad and it is a good, well thought out program, but there is non-the-less, a bug. Apple have acknowledge that, affecting iPhones. I have tried all the suggestions for fixing it, so far without success. I do have a copy of my files in iTunes. Someone suggested that I hadn't back up, which i have. None of the 'bright' suggestions and slurs on my abilities help. My concern is to restore my iPhone sans the faulty program defects. So thank you all for our 'helpful' suggestions and remarks about my competence. It is interesting that none of you have commented on the culpability and errors  of Apple programmers, Do I detect starry eyes?

I didn't mention a backup, blame you, or say anything about your competence. I only said that while some people are having issues the number is low enough that the article is accurate and the issues are unfortunate but pretty minor in the scheme of things. That doesn't make it less painful for you, but your difficulties don't make the article wrong for the vast majority.

However I will now say something about your character. Either you are A) a self little shit who can't fathom that your experience isn't automatically everyones experience, even when it is pointed out, or B) you are a pathetic troll who doesn't even have a device. Either way, you aren't worth wasting time on any more. Both problems are solved by your growing up. Try it.

• Reply 157 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

UPDATE:  So I was flipping through my Safari pages when,,, What's this? Facebook? Hmmmm... scroll scroll... Wait.. This is [my wife's] account! Since I shut down Facebook in safari it went from using ~33% battery to dropping off the map! :rolleyes: 

So lesson: don't leave Facebook open in Safari; it'll chew through your battery like Takeru Kobayashi. 

Battery life is a lot better now, but still seems to drain faster than before, but I have been doing a lot of texting recently, and my reception at work (wifi & cellular) sux big time. 

• Reply 158 of 159

The Music app continues to hang on my iPad mini 2 primarily when browsing by artist just like it did in iOS 8.

Since iOS 9.0, the "pinch to home" randomly stops working on my iPad mini 2.

Since iOS 9.0.1, the Music app on my iPhone 6 randomly hangs and cannot be closed without a forced reboot.

Since iOS 9.0, both devices continue to randomly hang - sometimes for 10-15 seconds before un-freezing and everything you've done "catches up".

I don't recall ever having problems with iOS 7 and older. iOS 8 and 9 have both left me a bit frustrated with Apple products. I've had the worst experience with iOS 9 and 9.0.1. I always do a restore instead of in-place upgrades.

I love Apple, but iOS 9, in particular, is leaving a bad impression.