Apple launches iOS 9 with iPad multitasking, 'proactive' Siri, better battery life & more

123578

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 159
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

     



    I think you are going to be waiting a long time. Pretty sure that some of the Pencil support is built into the screen - hence no support for legacy devices.


     

     

    Correct, as in the iPad Air that, I can only assume will hit production in the fall of 2016. Possibly with updated screen tech which will enable use of Pencil.  

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Pencil will not work on Air/Air2.  

     

    I doubt it will be a feature on Air3 next year.

     


     

    Errgh. But hey, you've been wrong before ;)

  • Reply 82 of 159
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post



    Apple Pay no longer works for me, it won't let me add my card again. Nice.



    Wait. The very first post in this thread was YOU bitching about the update consistently failing to download. So how exactly did you manage to get iOS 9 installed? Magic? Now you say ?Pay doesn’t work? Maybe magic will strike twice.

  • Reply 83 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post



    Downloaded. But now it won't let me update any of my apps? It says I have 12 available, but only give me an open button. There is no update button.

    I just noticed this as well.

     

    The "Update All" button is grayed out and can't be pressed and all the apps listed with updates for iOS9 or other fixes say "Open" instead of "Update".

     

    I have tried force quitting the App Store and rebooting to no avail. Definitely some kind of bug. Let me know if you find a solution please.

     

    At least my screen rotation bug that was extremely annoying seems to have been squashed. And over all things appear snappy and work well.

     

    EDIT: I wonder if it's not a bug but maybe since Apples servers are getting hit so hard like every time there is a new release they have temporarily turned off app updates. That is pure speculation, I'll check back in a few hours, or maybe by tomorrow things will have settled down.

  • Reply 84 of 159
    19831983 Posts: 1,201member

    The download went smooth enough (I did it via iTunes) but no News app available where I am. Not surprised by this considering that apart from iCloud and downloads of music, movies, apps and out of copyright classics via iTunes, I don't get any of Apple's other services where I am, including Apple Music! Apple replaced Newsstand with the News app, but as I said I don't get the News app where I am, so now I don't have Newsstand either!

  • Reply 85 of 159
    Dating Fireball linked this list of content blockers.
    See what you think.
    [URL]http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/09/16/a-list-of-content-blockers-for-ios-9/[/URL]
  • Reply 86 of 159
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    Ok I'm doing a little experiment.

    How long until iOS notifies you that there's an update?

    It's 1:41 over here and still nothing.
  • Reply 87 of 159

    So how do I roll back to 9.0 given I have 9.1 PB installed? Do I have to do a restore?

  • Reply 88 of 159
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Why would Apple allow the Pencil on the Air?  They want to differentiate between the Air and the Pro.  Or else the Pro will just be a bigger/faster iPad Air.


     

    Well... True.  :grumble: 

     

    I'm sure once I hold the iPP I'll be mesmerized :D  

  • Reply 89 of 159
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    Ok I'm doing a little experiment.



    How long until iOS notifies you that there's an update?



    It's 1:41 over here and still nothing.

    When I haven't gone to settings and checked for the update manually I noticed its about a day or two or three for the most part.

     

    Your mileage may vary.

  • Reply 90 of 159

    #9

    It appears that Pages and Keynote do not support split screen. Is that correct? At least I can't make it work with those Apps on my iPad Air 2.
     
  • Reply 91 of 159
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

    Guys is there any nasty bugs? I'm giving it a day before upgrading

  • Reply 92 of 159
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    Ok I'm doing a little experiment.



    How long until iOS notifies you that there's an update?



    It's 1:41 over here and still nothing.



    I think it's called traffic control. Why BEG for a system overload as a few hundred million people all smash into the servers at the same time? Talk about your self inflicted Denial of Service attack....

  • Reply 93 of 159

    So something that has never been an issue before is suddenly an issue?

     
    I think the answer to that is 'nope'.

    Always been an issue, it's how the internet works.

    For example, most recently Apple Watch orders started several minutes late in certain regions because local ISPs were slower to propagate when the Store on Apple's site re-opened. In this case it's compounded because there are also several additional mirrors for large installer files.
  • Reply 94 of 159
    So what's up with the podcasting app no longer doing full screen in video? It is like 50% white space on the top and bottom and maybe about 20% black on the left and right of the picture. Way more room allocated to controls than needed.
  • Reply 95 of 159
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    helia wrote: »
    Guys is there any nasty bugs? I'm giving it a day before upgrading
    Some one up above mentioned ApplePay lost his cards (which I think is normal for an OS replacement iirc) and that he couldn't add any back, (which is not).
  • Reply 96 of 159
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    techlover wrote: »
    When I haven't gone to settings and checked for the update manually I noticed its about a day or two or three for the most part.

    Your mileage may vary.
    Manually it showed up for me. I'm going to wait, heck I'm replacing this phone next week so I'm unsure what benefit there would be anyway? Anybody?
  • Reply 97 of 159
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redefiler View Post



    Always been an issue, it's how the internet works.

     

    It's how the current incarnation of technology the internet is built upon works.  If no one ever asks the question: "but can we do it better?" and just accepts that this is how it works (and derides others for not knowing), nothing changes.

     

    Idiots -- don't you understand that you need to have the punch cards right-side up when you feed them into the reader if you want it to work???

  • Reply 98 of 159
    auxio wrote: »


    Right, because everyone needs to understand all of the technical details of how downloads work before they do it. /s  Just like everyone should understand all of the details of how the engine in their car works before they turn the key in the ignition, or understand the details of how electricity flows before turning on a light.

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">This is why a lot of people have a distaste for technology: when faced with a problem, those who understand it simply act arrogant and revel in the fact that they have some piece of knowledge about a particular technology which, when it comes down to it, simply isn't designed well enough to eliminate the need for such knowledge (like most of the other things we use).</span>

    People have a distaste for being stupid because others tell them they're being stupid? The problem is still with the stupid. They're only able to learn when safely shrouded in a security blanket?

    Maybe disengage the wounded feelings module, and use more thinking? Stop blaming others for their own shortcomings. Personal strength is only personally developed, and can be accomplished in almost all kinds of adverstity.
  • Reply 99 of 159
    auxio wrote: »
    It's how the current incarnation of technology the internet is built upon works.  If no one ever asks the question: "but can we do it better?" and just accepts that this is how it works (and derides others for not knowing), nothing changes.

    Idiots -- don't you understand that you need to have the punch cards right-side up when you feed them into the reader if you want it to work???

    Weird. So first you're upset because people don't understand how things work and can't handle being told that, but now they don't have to understand how things work because they can fantasize about things from the future?

    If people can learn not to put their arms into wood chippers, they can also get over their stupid and get the holes on the punch cards lined up.
  • Reply 100 of 159
    ben20ben20 Posts: 122member
    I updated 4 devices and one iPad Air is bricked now - all I get is a white screen with apple logo and "slide to upgrade" pops up. Any idea how to fix that ?
Sign In or Register to comment.