Apple's renowned attention to detail led designers to fret over the sound of sliding new Magic Mouse

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

With a "backup of everything" there is no problem "created by this new technology" is there?

Skepticism confirmed. 

"Apple Mighty Mouse - better buy two just in case the first one dies at the worst possible time." (Yes, I DID buy two.)

Being totally sarcastic here...

Tell you what, I'll let you say you won. That seems to be what you're after here. Congratulations, you won the message board! Don't let your highs get too high. LOL 

</s>

• Reply 102 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The keyboard doesn't need a two minute break, and nor does the trackpad. If you're going to acclaim Apple for attention to detail, then it's only fair to pillory them when they trip into obvious pitfalls.

"Apple, it just works. As long as you set a reminder to charge your mouse every Friday night"

Yep, just like "it just works as long as you have back-up batteries."  I'm not really seeing your point, but then again, I won't, so whatever

• Reply 103 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Yep, just like "it just works as long as you have back-up batteries."  I'm not really seeing your point, but then again, I won't, so whatever

But actually you DO! Backup batteries > backup mouse.

• Reply 104 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

Lol.  Obviously you mean "backup batteries ~ 1-2 minutes quick charge"

• Reply 105 of 121
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I'm not arguing for backup batteries, I'm arguing for a charging port that doesn't prevent use of the mouse, which is true for both the keyboard and trackpad.  It's bad design on the mouse.

• Reply 106 of 121
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    crowley wrote: »
    Two minutes where your workflow is put on hold is not attention to detail.

two minutes, if you for some reason refused to charge your device ONCE A MONTH. do you have this much trouble charging your phone? dear lord, how do you live?

im sorry, but you are not so important that you cant spend two minutes to charge you mouse in the event of failing to charge your mouse properly once a month. get real.

There is no obvious [TO ME] reason why the port couldn't be in a place that would allow the mouse to remain functional. Other mice which don't need recharging have had cables coming out of them for decades.

there, i fixed it for you. it's not obvious why *to you*, some guy on the web, and not a product designer at the most successful CE product company in history. but if i had to guess, its due to the curved touchscreen that covers the top of the mouse.
  • Reply 107 of 121
    crowley wrote: »
    The keyboard doesn't need a two minute break, and nor does the trackpad. If you're going to acclaim Apple for attention to detail, then it's only fair to pillory them when they trip into obvious pitfalls.

"Apple, it just works. As long as you set a reminder to charge your mouse every Friday night"

WRONG. if you actually owned an apple product instead of just trolling this site, then youd know that charging of the MM2 is only required once a month.

and even still you must complain. id hate to see you camping.
  • Reply 108 of 121
    leesmith wrote: »

I can't spare a 2 minute break in the middle of a sales demonstration or a presentation before my board of directors. It's easy to say "you should have been prepared and charged the mouse beforehand. It's also easy to forget (or have someone outside your control be responsible for the technology).

if you need to charge for two minutes in the MIDDLE of an important presentation before you board of directors, AND you failed to bring a spare, then you deserve to look like an idiot and should probably be dismissed.

jesus christ. you guys are really clutching at straws. its absurd.
  • Reply 109 of 121

I always bring a backup of everything, but thanks for the needlessly snarky remark. That did nothing to address the problems created by this new technology instead of solved.

if you actually always brought a backup of everything, then youd have a backup mouse. so....whats your point? other than mindlessly trying to find some way to bag on this product because thats evidently your nature?
  • Reply 110 of 121

wrong. backup batteries either require charging or disposal, making them a poor substitution for a backup wired travel mouse.

your contrived example to make apple look bad is completely pathetic.
  • Reply 111 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

wrong. backup batteries either require charging or disposal, making them a poor substitution for a backup wired travel mouse.

your contrived example to make apple look bad is completely pathetic.

Dude. If you read all of my earlier comments, you'd realize how ludicrous your knee-jerk reaction is. No one is trying to make Apple look bad. I only made the mistake of sharing an opinion on AppleInsider. Your baseless allegation is what is pathetic. It's friendly fire. Save it for the Samesungers and the Android astroturfers. 

• Reply 112 of 121
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

two minutes, if you for some reason refused to charge your device ONCE A MONTH. do you have this much trouble charging your phone? dear lord, how do you live?

im sorry, but you are not so important that you cant spend two minutes to charge you mouse in the event of failing to charge your mouse properly once a month. get real.

No one is claiming two minutes to be a horrendous inconvenience or to be above it.  But not having a two minutes wait would be preferable, and since Apple are apparently so renowned for their attention to detail, it's a bit of a stinker whenever their design falls short.  The keyboard works with the cable, and the trackpad works with a cable.  That the mouse doesn't is stark.

Quote:

there, i fixed it for you. it's not obvious why *to you*, some guy on the web, and not a product designer at the most successful CE product company in history. but if i had to guess, its due to the curved touchscreen that covers the top of the mouse.

I doubt that's true, and it's certainly not insurmountable with compromise.  It's a bad trade off in my opinion.  Not that I'd buy it in any case, the Magic Mouse is terrible.  Apple mice always seem to be terrible.

Quote:

WRONG. if you actually owned an apple product instead of just trolling this site, then youd know that charging of the MM2 is only required once a month.

I was responding to someone else who made a set a reminder to charge it every Friday point.  Please learn to recognise facetiousness and distinguish it from serious argument.

Calm down, this isn't an unpleasant discussion except for you getting all het up about defending Apple.

• Reply 113 of 121
    philsphils Posts: 22member
    Good looking and very uncomfortable to use... specially for design driven applications... I think that the previous Apple Mouse was much better. Yeah details such as how it sounds are great... but really... shouldn't the focus be in how to make it better ergonomically?
    AI_lias
  • Reply 114 of 121

So much whining over the possibility having to stop saving the world from foreign hackers, for 2 whole minutes. It's been pointed out several times in a couple of threads that 2 minutes should get 9 hours of run time. How about one minute. That would probably get a couple of hours at least. The average battery change, and putting the spent batteries in a charger would probably take at least that long. I seriously doubt that people change their mouse batteries like Bruce Willis reloading his 9mm in a fire fight. Yet that's the impression some are trying to convey. 

I use both a MagicMouse and Magic TrackPad. I have Eneloops and get about 3+ weeks use before a swap, a little less if I use one more than the other. I've only ended up with a dead mouse when I've continually  ignored the on-screen notification of low batteries. As I don't make a practice of ignoring the warning, there's always enough just to make it through the end of the day, so I don't have to stop and change batteries during my "critical" workflow. I could get more if I turned them off between uses, but the push-hold button thing got old quick. Kind of like change batteries.

Do people not drive gas fueled cars anymore? How do they keep from running out? Some do but most seem to do quite well with minding the gas gauge. It's not rocket science. The gauge says half- or quarter-tank, or gets near the red, you make plans to fuel up. If you don't, shame on you. 

So with the MM2, one should be able to get plenty of warning that charging will be in their future, like at the end of that day, before you go home. No work flow interruption and when you start the day next, you'll have a month of use.  The next time the OS tells you about the battery being low, same drill- make a plan to charge it before it interrupts you work flow for TWO WHOLE MINUTES.  You'd think the detractors never leave their desk/workstation for any reason. Day in, day out, right there in their Aeron chair making the world a better place, God forbid that they would take time out to charge a mouse in the event they ignored charging it at an opportune time. But changing batteries is apparently a non-issue. All that's simply not true. If they were honest, they'd admit there are a few times in their work day were they could multi-task while the MM2 charges for a minute or two should they ignore the low battery warnings.

I have no idea why Apple didn't put the port on the front, but since I'm not only not a design engineer but have never even seen the inside of the mouse, I'll just assume it's possible that I don't have the information to launch an intelligent criticism. 

As for inductive charging, it's not as efficient as a direct electrical connection. It adds unnecessary bulk, complexity, and cost to the mouse. It works for the ?Watch because having a port, even as small as the Lightning port, isn't a good thing for a watch. It's just wasted engineering on something that will run a month on a full charge.

Stick with AAs if you want, no big deal. Just be realistic about the pros and cons of either regardless of what you drive.

• Reply 115 of 121

Just got mine and whilst the comments on the location of the Lightning socket are valid, I guess it's to stop you using it whilst it's charging, as it disconnects as soon as you plug in the cable.

Two things I don't like.

Unless you upgrade to El Capitan, the mouse preferences only give you basic functions.

The other more annoying 'feeture' (sic), is the 'feet' aren't level, so it rocks side to side when you touch it, which makes a rattling noise especially if you use it on a hard surface. It's the same on all three we purchased, so not sure if it's a manufacturing issue or a 'design' thing.

Mike

• Reply 116 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike of Oxford View Post

Just got mine and whilst the comments on the location of the Lightning socket are valid, I guess it's to stop you using it whilst it's charging, as it disconnects as soon as you plug in the cable.

Two things I don't like.

Unless you upgrade to El Capitan, the mouse preferences only give you basic functions.

The other more annoying 'feeture' (sic), is the 'feet' aren't level, so it rocks side to side when you touch it, which makes a rattling noise especially if you use it on a hard surface. It's the same on all three we purchased, so not sure if it's a manufacturing issue or a 'design' thing.

Mike

If it disconnects from the Mac when plugged in, that would stop you from using it, wherever the port was located. The battery probably charges faster in that case. I believe Apple made a very deliberate design choice putting the port on the bottom. Being Apple it could be just because they don't want it seen as a "wired" mouse. 

Maybe they don't want the MM2 acting like a typical MS mouse where the cable moves the mouse when you take your hand off of it. A stretch, but Apple has in the past addressed details to present a specific experience, and I'd expect something like that with a pricey mouse.

I'm happy to see the MM2 has some functionality without El Cap. Other reports (lacking your hands-on) just say it needs El Cap or doesn't work without it.

Your experience that all three devices have feet that aren't level is really troubling. This isn't anything that I'd expect from Apple. I'll be sure to check this out when I go to the Apple Store. I'm sure they'd swap them out for properly constructed devices if there's a store near you.

• Reply 117 of 121

I wonder how many of the folk commenting on the MM2 have actually bought one! 

Having used mine for a few days now, it's still reporting 100% charge, so I guess it's going to be some time before I need to tip on it's back and recharge it. This is so much better than the current situation of having to keep at least one set of charged batteries on standby in order to be able to keep the mouse in constant use.

Surely Apple made a conscious decision to put the socket underneath to force folk to realise it's in 'charging' mode. 

Although I've been an Apple user since the 70's, I don't agree with everything they've done (don't start me on the MagSafe 2 reasoning) but I think they've got it right with the MM2. My not regarding the wonky feet still bothers me and I'll check out a fresh batch to see if it's just a manufacturing flaw.

• Reply 118 of 121
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I don't get how the sound the mouse makes is important, but the fact that you cannot use it while charging is not important and a first world problem. But both of these problems pale in comparison to the mouse not being ergonomically friendly (same for the keyboard, should not be angled facing the user, but the other way, or at least laying flat). So, to me it is bizarre that they would spend so much time on the sound it makes, and not address other seemingly more important issues... To me, the best mouse was the mouse with the omni-directional mechanical ball. That was very precise. This touch one can be too "touchy" and not allow fine control.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    Here's hoping they sorted out poor Bluetooth connectivity. My Magic Mouse flatly refused to work if more than 4 feet away from a Mac. Signal-Noise was a major issue which left many people having to prise apart their Magic Mouse to improve signal strength. Hint (for those who do not know): Keep held down your Opt or Alt key when selecting Bluetooth in the Menu Bar. This will reveal the signal strength of your Bluetooth devices. Too often Apple loses sight pursuing aesthetics at the detriment of technical performance.
  • Reply 120 of 121
    K DubK Dub Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Having to place the mouse on its back to charge, is dumber than dumb. Here's a dumbass question: how hard would it have been for Apple to put the Lightening port on the front, so that when you had to charge the mouse, you could also use it? Steve Jobs said: design is not how things look, but how things work.
    I couldn't agree more. It is funny how the Apple fanboys fawn over Apple design, but the minute you point out a flaw, they fall back on reflexive comments like "that wouldn't work, or they would have done it" or my favorite "First world problems"! Good design doesn't need to solve world hunger to be worthwhile. This IS a design flaw. I totally had the exact same thought - this would be much better if it could be used while charging. The mouse would look no more "ugly" being charged while in use as it does lying on its back, useless. And when it runs out of juice and is unusable, it IS a big inconvenience. Life-altering? No. Frustrating? Yes. Fixable? Totally.