Review: Apple's iPad Pro with A9X CPU and 12.9-inch Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Heck no. The article said that the CPU performance is already comparable to Intel i5 in 13" MBP and MS Surface Pro 4. Single-core is as good, multi-core gives up a bit. The single-core number is the important one for most uses.

I am certain that Apple has OS X-on-ARM running in the labs, in the same way that it had been running on Intel long before the PowerPC->x86 switch. Apple licensed Rosetta and that's now owned by IBM, so I suspect that it could be relicensed> Alternatively, Apple could now build its own Rosetta.

The hard issue is not ARM-vs-Intel. It's what to do to make the two (iOS and OS X) fit on the same device. The problem is the UI, not the hardware.

Rosetta on ARM would effectively turn the ARM processor (benchmarked at 5,500ish on Geekbench 3) into one that is less as half as performant.  So any applications that you installed would infact seem like they were running on [lower end] hardware of maybe a decade or so ago....  That performance would be so bad as to seriously damage the Apple brand.

• Reply 22 of 158
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

The FaceTime camera on the new Macbook is a compromise because of the relatively lack of space for a higher spec'd camera...  simply put, there was nothing they could stick in that space at that time. 

Please don't give me that crap. You know this how? I don't buy that for one second. You deserve it.

• Reply 23 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

The best upgrade for iPad Pro would be to run OS X. Dual-boot, if you like. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

No, that would be terrible because it wouldn't push iOS as a platform forward. MS may have their desktop apps for the interim on their tablet, but they are only hurting their tablet developer ecosystem long term. Apple's given devs like Adobe no option but to make better apps for the tablet which makes the platform what it needs to be long term.

• Reply 24 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Please don't give me that crap. You know this how? I don't buy that for one second.

I was curious about that when it was first released and searched around (I am not going to do a research now that finding it would be too difficult) on the internet and one of the analysts was discussing the size of the cameras that were available for integration.... and that none of the current options for higher spec'd cameras would fit.  Of course it does not mean that something was not available in research labs, but nothing was being manufactured that would fit at that time.  

They could delay the release of the Macbook until there were options (6+ months; maybe a year).... but if that is a compromise too far for you then that computer is not for you.  They could have also deformed the case with a bump, but that would be a very un-Apple thing to do.... form / design is rather important to them.

Do you really think that it was the cost difference between a 720p camera and a 480p camera?  Apple has never been that cheap of a company when it comes to components.... and I don't see them starting it just for the heck of it.  

• Reply 25 of 158
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    ireland wrote: »
    Please don't give me that crap. You know this how? I don't buy that for one second. You deserve it.

I never expect an iPad to have the latest camera. That's not its purpose, and you should know that by now.
  • Reply 26 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Apple greed seems to be a reoccurring theme these days. Certainly with me and many of my colleagues who are life-long Apple users. And like you, I've noticed the nickel and dimeing. From overpriced accessories, to forced memory upgrades, to minor incremental upgrades, all geared for maximum profits. 

I get that Apple is a business with stakeholders to answer to. And I'm not about to jump ship. There are still many great things I love about Apple. But as you say, I think people are finding this treatment, disrespectful. Much of Apple's success has been built on a loyal customer base. Once users believe that Apple no longer has their best interest, they will move on.  

You know what they say, perception is reality.

I hear more and more people talking about how greedy Apple has become lately. Frankly, I wouldn't bet against move on myself someone. I never would have said that 3 years ago. There's only so much shafting you can take before you get sense. Even myself I've begun to vocalise this with my non-hard core Apple friends. And they're not Android defenders or anything or the sort. Most of them use iPhones.

• Reply 27 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I never expect an iPad to have the latest camera. That's not its purpose, and you should know that by now.

The kooaid still has some juice left it seems.

• Reply 28 of 158
    Surprising, our Pros came in late Thursday afternoon. I just ordered them at 4:15 am Wednesday! They were supposed to arrive on Monday. That pretty good. Maybe they got shipped from a local mode.

But whatever the reason, I've used it extensively since. I do almost all my posting with my iPads, and all too often from a moving car (no, I'm not driving).

I agree with most of what Neil say here. I would like more of the file system to be exposed. I would like iCloud Drive to be more versatile. I would like it to be simpler to move files to and from the device. These are things that will be needed if iOS is to be used for more productivity. I've read a fair number of reviews so far, and all of them have said the same thing, more or less. That is, this is a great device - but...

It's true. It's powerful enough. That's for sure. But we still need more in the software realm. That includes iOS. Maybe iOS 10 will fill in some more of those gaps.

I get it that with my mid sized iPads, certain things didn't make as much sense. Such as a trackpad and cursor arrows. Not that I haven't pined for them. But this is so big, that using a finger, at times, is asking too much. While I know that we can use the virtual keyboard as a cursor, it's not quite the same thing. I've tried it. A little thing on this far better keyboard allowed by the large screen I've mentioned before, a few days ago, is that the numbers key on the right side, along with the keyboard key, are too large. There's no reason for that. Neither needs to be larger than a regular key. It's a waste of space. In fact, the numbers key doesn't need to be there at all. The one on the left is enough. With the smaller devices, it's needed much more, and so, I suppose, having two is helpful. But not anymore.

If the numbers key was eliminated, and the keyboard key halved in width, then Apple could have given APIs for a set of cursor keys and put them there. The .com key that pops up when needed could still be added. This is a peeve of mine, and I guess not everyone will agree, but it would really help in my long post here, if I need to go change something. I've found that not every site handles touch correctly. All too often, I can't put the cursor where I want, and it only locks to the beginning of a word, or the end of a word. Apple can't force fixes for that, so they should add this to the keyboard. I still have hopes for that, and a trackpad. It would make a major improvement.

As far as third party software goes, it's far better than it was a couple of years ago, but is still in the infant stage. It's going to take more years, and I hope iPad sales hold up enough for that to happen. It would be a real shame it it doesn't.

Some people complaining that Photoshop, for example, isn't good enough need to sit back and chill. It's been around 25 years, and has taken all that time to get where it is. I imagine for the iPad, it will take at least a couple more years. The one thing I do miss is curves. That's a requirement, and I've told Adobe that. Hopefully they will listen. They're listened well in the past. And no, it's not bloated! Only people who don't need those features think that.

I would also like overlapping, resizable Windows, and the ability to open two in one app at the same time, and three altogether. If I could grab a side of a window to shrink, or expand it, that would be great. A lot of reviews that are having problems with this are talking about frustrations that would be solved by this. And I don't want to hear about how this will ruin the simplicity of the OS. That's complete BS. If we look at the Mac when it first came out, and now, we would see that. iOS is already far more complex that it was. It will continue to become more complex. But Apple needs to throw some of their now obsolete concepts away if they intend to sell devices like this one in the future.
  • Reply 29 of 158
    ireland wrote: »
    The kooaid still has some juice left it seems.

No, this is just your problem.
  • Reply 30 of 158

How many people complaining about Apple's pricing being too high have gone to their employer and asked for a pay reduction because they were being paid too much for the work that they do?

How many people complaining about the lack of a file system have tried to learn new skills rather than want changes to suit them (Its a poor craftsman that blames his tools)?

How many people complaining about the cameras in iPads think they would look much better at higher resolution when using FaceTime?

• Reply 31 of 158
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    Rosetta on ARM would effectively turn the ARM processor (benchmarked at 5,500ish on Geekbench 3) into one that is less as half as performant.  So any applications that you installed would infact seem like they were running on [lower end] hardware of maybe a decade or so ago....  That performance would be so bad as to seriously damage the Apple brand.

Right now inside Apple developer relations is spread across multiple teams. Obviously Craig Federighi's team is responsible for the OS and APIs. Phil Schiller has developer relations and is responsible for app review. Eddy Cue's org is responsible for editorial and the App Store. Apple needs one person overseeing all developer relations. Basically this person and their team are a developers best friend inside Apple. They listen to the needs and concerns of developers. They make sure developers have the tools and incentives they need to make the BEST apps for iOS and OS X. They make sure that really good apps get the best promotion. I know we often think of Microsoft is the company that prioritized developers over users but I don't think it needs to be an either or. I think you can do both. Software is going to make or break iPP. This is why I think Apple should allow for iPP only software that offers trials and paid upgrades. If developers are forced to make software that will work across iPad mini, iPad Air and iPP I think it will stunt software development for iPP. Right now when you search the App Store you can filter on iPad only or iPhone only. I think Apple should add another category for iPP only apps. Do whatever they need to so developers will say yes, this is a platform worth developing for.
  • Reply 32 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I hear more and more people talking about how greedy Apple has become lately. Frankly, I wouldn't bet against move on myself someone. I never would have said that 3 years ago. There's only so much shafting you can take before you get sense. Even myself I've begun to vocalise this with my non-hard core Apple friends. And they're not Android defenders or anything or the sort. Most of them use iPhones.

If Apple was just becoming greedy - you would see gross profit margins rising... then you would potentially see it drop as it affected profits as it lost customers.  A few things don't seem to match reality.  Profit margins have bounced up and down (as high as 44% or so in 2012 I think) but have generally been bouncing around in a range.  You would see Apple losing -- not gaining customers if they were being "greedy".  If you think Apple's current margin is greedy -- then they have been greedy for a long time....    I don't see them as greedy or not-greedy, just a company that is good at the business they are in.  Apple is not a charity, nor is it a deity, it is a corporation - a profitable one, a company that builds hardware that people generally want... People are free to chose their products or someone else's.... but given that I have not always been an Apple customer I don't see anything worth spending money on....  

• Reply 33 of 158
    2old4fun wrote: »
    How many people complaining about Apple's pricing being too high have gone to their employer and asked for a pay reduction because they were being paid too much for the work that they do?

How many people complaining about the lack of a file system have tried to learn new skills rather than want changes to suit them (Its a poor craftsman that blames his tools)?

How many people complaining about the cameras in iPads think they would look much better at higher resolution when using FaceTime?

I have to respond about that often quoted nonsense about a craftsman and his tools. You are obviously not a craftsman. I've got shops, and I pride myself on the work I do. I also have the best tools. Because all good craftsman have good tools. That's part of being a good craftsman. In fact, craftsman made their own toolboxes, back in the older days, and sometimes even now, and that tool box itself was a point of pride and showmanship, an advertisement to his customers. A good craftsman knows that you can't do what has been called, over the years, first class work, without first class tools, and the capability, and resolve, to keep them in proper shape.

I just wanted to get that out of the way. It's the same thing with everything else. Pro photographers need pro cameras and lenses. It's just not the situation that anyone seriously involved in photography, even iPhone photography, who will use an iPad for that. I've used, upon occasion, my iPad, but it wasn't fun. Parents sometimes do it, and occasionally. I see someone here and there doing it. But the Pro is impossible. I tried it just now, and forget it.
  • Reply 34 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I know we often think of Microsoft is the company that prioritized developers over users but I don't think it needs to be an either or.

Have not heard that one before.  Microsoft sees it's tools and developers as a profit centre... not an asset and it treats them as such.  

Visual Studio $$$, MSDN $$$$$$ 

• Reply 35 of 158
    melgross wrote: »
    I have to respond about that often quoted nonsense about a craftsman and his tools. You are obviously not a craftsman. I've got shops, and I pride myself on the work I do. I also have the best tools. Because all good craftsman have good tools. That's part of being a good craftsman. In fact, craftsman made their own toolboxes, back in the older days, and sometimes even now, and that tool box itself was a point of pride and showmanship, an advertisement to his customers. A good craftsman knows that you can't do what has been called, over the years, first class work, without first class tools, and the capability, and resolve, to keep them in proper shape.

I just wanted to get that out of the way. It's the same thing with everything else. Pro photographers need pro cameras and lenses. It's just not the situation that anyone seriously involved in photography, even iPhone photography, who will use an iPad for that. I've used, upon occasion, my iPad, but it wasn't fun. Parents sometimes do it, and occasionally. I see someone here and there doing it. But the Pro is impossible. I tried it just now, and forget it.

I'll bet the Pro used in conjunction with a nice DSLR is going to be a killer combo for both pro and amateur photographers and videographers.
  • Reply 36 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sorry for the misapplication of "craftsman", while I have never worked in a shop that used tools to work material (a skill that I know I do not possess) I hope that people looked on my work in the communications field as that of a "craftsman" as I always attempted to deliver my best work for my customers.

• Reply 37 of 158
    derekson wrote: »
    The complaint about a file system is silly. It's so widespread but it's just so backward looking. You wouldn't expect a file system if you weren't used to it; it's something we are used to from how computers have been organized, but in designing a system from the ground up it really doesn't add anything over the way that sharing files currently works on iOS.

If I find anything silly, it's comments like this one. Unless there is far better file system interoperability between iOS and OS X, the iPad -- Pro or not -- will remain a complement and not a substitute to the PC.

"Something we're use to" describes a massive segment of PC users that Apple sure wants to migrate to its platforms.

I've ordered mine since my iPad 3 is due for an upgrade. However, other than the larger size and the faster speed, I see very little evolution in the product, vis-a-vis my needs. In three years. That aspect of it is disappointing.
  • Reply 38 of 158
    There's no reason an app couldn't implement a unique file management scheme that would make more sense for the Pro.
  • Reply 39 of 158
    There's no reason an app couldn't implement a unique file management scheme that would make more sense for the Pro.

Apple should be the one to do this. Also, I don't see why some version of Airdop or Bluetooth couldn't be used by such an app to create greater interoperability between the Mac and the iPad. I find it silly that I still have to use iTunes -- which, many of us here agree is now a clunky, bloated piece of software -- as the primary interface if I wish to connect the iPad to my Macs. Why isn't there, for instance, an iPad app on OS X and a similar (obviously simple, and able to hand some basic tasks such as file transfers) OS X app on my iPad? It could work very similarly to how my AppleWatch interacts with my iPhone, for starters.
  • Reply 40 of 158
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    Have not heard that one before.  Microsoft sees it's tools and developers as a profit centre... not an asset and it treats them as such.  

Visual Studio $$$, MSDN $$$$$$ 

Well I've heard that in comparison to…Apple. But I think happy developers also make for happy customers. One question I have is how do you make desktop class apps viable on a platform where people are used to paying nothing or $.99 for an app. The top grossing/top paid apps are either games with IAP or free apps with subscription services like HBO Now or Pandora.