Review: Apple's iPad Pro with A9X CPU and 12.9-inch Retina display

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"One of the common complaints made by software developers who spoke to The Verge is that they can’t offer free trials of their apps as part of the App Store download process, or issue paid upgrades to long-term users."

Neither of those things are true. You can offer a free trial by making your app free to download, and making the full version be an in-app purchase. And you can offer paid upgrades by release major new versions as separate apps, e.g. Photoshop 1.0 is one app on the App Store, Photoshop 2.0 is a separate app. This also allows for the release of bugfixes for past versions without giving people new features for free. 

"Others say that selling apps through the App Store can create a kind of wall between them and their customers if the customers have issues with their software."

Well each app on the App Store has a support link that links back to the developer's website. What they are really complaining about is that when you buy an app, Apple just gives them the money, it doesn't give them your personal contact details. And they want to put your details in a big database so they can spam you evermore trying to get more money out of you. To which I say, "Thanks Apple."

But the point about upgrade pricing is valid. And it would be nice if companies could integrate user support forums in to the App Store somehow. And the point about prices being low in general on the App Store is valid, it's kind of like the web in that way. The web conditioned everyone to expect everything for free, and the App Store conditioned everyone to expect everything for $0.99. 

The Mac App Store does not suffer from this problem I note, with pro apps on there going for hundreds of dollars. So Macs and PCs are still a better place to sell pro software, but I don't think the iOS barriers are as bad as they are making out. 

"The web conditioned everyone to expect everything for free, and the App Store conditioned everyone to expect everything for $0.99. "

Software today has commoditized.  For apps today to be successful they have to provide a benefit, be unique, and be marketed.

• Reply 142 of 158
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I wonder if the iPad Pro and Pencil would work in zero gravity. I guess display orientation might be tricky, but Apple could easily allow a SW setting to have the orientation switch at will, perhaps even making the Toggle switch on the side switch from landscape to portrait.

I wish my Pencil would come already. But I wonder if it uses gravity. I haven't read anything saying yes or no.
  • Reply 143 of 158
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's an article out today saying apps for the Pro may be slow in coming due to Apple's App Store policies. Valid concern? Developers here, and I know there are a few, can probably offer comment.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9757516/ipad-pro-apps-pricing-ios-developers-opt-out

What does that mean? There are already several dozen new apps for the Pro. There are also many hundreds, if not thousands that just need support for the higher resolution and Pencil support that have already got it. I'm admittedly an app junky, I've got about 600 on my iPad. I've been getting updates before the Pro came out. At this time, most of the apps I have that would benefit from a Pro update already have gotten them. Within a month, there will be tens of thousands of updated apps. Within three months, most all apps that would benefit will be updated to do so.

We don't need all new apps, just apps that are updated. All my painting and drawing apps, for example, have already been updated. Most of my 3D CAD apps have been updated. Most of my utilities have been updated. I could go on. Proper apps won't be a problem at all. This is just more negativity we see in the press for people like you who prefer reading negative things.
  • Reply 144 of 158

A semi-review / comparison of the iPad Pro (using Astropad) vs Wacom Cintiq 

• Reply 145 of 158
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    A semi-review / comparison of the iPad Pro (using Astropad) vs Wacom Cintiq 

[vid]

Overall, I appreciate the guy doing the comparison video but I didi find it kind of annoying that he didn't really have his prices down when trying to do a cost comparison. I would have also liked to have seen an attempt to draw the same thing on each one—perhaps in a split-screen mode with a short timeframe limit or with a sped-up camera—so we can see more of how each works.
  • Reply 146 of 158
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,582member
    melgross wrote: »
    What does that mean? There are already several dozen new apps for the Pro. There are also many hundreds, if not thousands that just need support for the higher resolution and Pencil support that have already got it. I'm admittedly an app junky, I've got about 600 on my iPad. I've been getting updates before the Pro came out. At this time, most of the apps I have that would benefit from a Pro update already have gotten them. Within a month, there will be tens of thousands of updated apps. Within three months, most all apps that would benefit will be updated to do so.

We don't need all new apps, just apps that are updated.
    Mel, the apps the article was referring to are not the typical free-$5 apps you seem to be talking about. From the first two paragraphs:

"Much of the marketing around Apple’s new iPad Pro has been centered on its ability to run professional grade software and the variety of creativity apps it supports...
    Despite the new tablet’s processing power and capabilities, it’s still running on mobile software — and developers aren’t totally convinced the economic incentives exist in the App Store for iOS. In short, they feel they wouldn’t be able to charge users the amounts they normally would for a version of their software that runs on a desktop.."

In other words not simply updated iPad apps you can run on the Mini but instead applications that target professional users of the iPad Pro, apps that take full advantage of the resources available to it.

In the end it may be a non-issue as you surmise, but they're obviously talking about a different class of applications than you are,
  • Reply 147 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Mel, the apps the article was referring to are not the typical free-$5 apps you seem to be talking about. From the first two paragraphs:

"Much of the marketing around Apple’s new iPad Pro has been centered on its ability to run professional grade software and the variety of creativity apps it supports...

Despite the new tablet’s processing power and capabilities, it’s still running on mobile software — and developers aren’t totally convinced the economic incentives exist in the App Store for iOS. In short, they feel they wouldn’t be able to charge users the amounts they normally would for a version of their software that runs on a desktop.."

In other words not simply updated iPad apps you can run on the Mini but instead applications that target professional users of the iPad Pro, apps that take full advantage of the resources available to it.

In the end it may be a non-issue as you surmise, but they're obviously talking about a different class of applications than you are,

I am not worried about it.  Professional grade software (the only professional grade software people seem to be discussing is art/graphics related) follows where their customers are.  If they don't they will go the way of Wordstar, Wordperfect, etc.

The audience that seems most excited right now about the iPad Pro are artist types.  Don't follow them and someone else will fill the gap.  If you sell professional software, professionals will pay a "professional" price for it.  I am sure there are some consumers that are not professionals who would like it but not pay for it and will whine about prices - but they really are not that important in the end.  There is already enough software available to make the iPad Pro a worthwhile purchase.  Is there more to come - yes... those companies that will play wait and see may find themselves out of luck.

• Reply 148 of 158

Interesting read....

Adobe says iPad Pro can't replace a laptop for creative work, and it's okay

What is interesting is that they are saying they are coming at it by identifying what is wanted/needed and what is legacy that is not high priority.  They also indicate that their average user has 3 machines - and what they are looking for is what fits into their workflow where.  

Of course what they say -- can simply be what they can provide and not admitting inadequacies until they can address it (which is normal, Apple does it, all companies do it).   I am sure that if they are not taking it seriously another company like Serif will step in.   I do understand that they have a current interface implemented which works in a desktop oriented way and taking all their applications and completely re-engineering all their applications cannot be done overnight, but I suspect they try their best to prioritize.  With the excitement of artists and the fact that artists will disproportionately buy the iPad Pro (vs other professions), and over time they will look to do as much as possible through touch (desktop handling of 3d graphics through the use of single gesture mouse is not optimal).   Until they are able to they will downplay the importance, while at the same time portraying what they have as the best of the breed.  They will of course work to provide similar experiences on both Surface Pro and iPad Pro, but from current estimates the iPad Pro will likely outsell the Surface. 

• Reply 149 of 158

Yes, I know all about pricing. But that has nothing to do with Apple. Developers price their products where they think they should be priced in order to position them against other products. And then people have to decide if these prices are Win 10 they want to pay. Apple can't, and shouldn't try to control that. Look at what happened with iBooks, and that wasn't really even their fault.

You can't successfully run most of the apps I use on a Mini, so stop trying to make up arguments that don't exist.

There is also a lot of professional software for the iPad now, priced accordingly. If the product is really worth it, the people it's intended for will buy it. I use AutoCad 360, and I pay $99 a year for it. Is that enough for you? I have an audio test suite called /audio Tools. With all the modules I've needed, and bought, it's cost me almost $200 for the suite. There is other software out there priced similarly. They can price their software up to $999, if they want to, or offer subscriptions as AutoDesk, Adobe and Microsoft do. Win 10 I see is a lot of whining from people who write software that people think isn't worth that much.

But there's something else. Desktop software of the type most of these developers do, don't sell is very large numbers on the Desktop. They sell in much larger numbers in iOS. So Desktop pricing is much higher. It's the fault of the developers who keep bring their prices down. Professionals will pay for professional software, if it's really good software. I would happily pay for a full copy of mLightroom for my Pro, if it were available, and I didn't already have a subscription to CC.but right now they're not offering a full copy. Microsoft have done it with Office, and as also mentioned, Autodesk is offering 360, which isn't a full fledged version of their full Desktop software, but a good enough slice of it to be worth the fee.

What more do these people want, and expect? I didn't demand that Procreate and the other pro apps I've bought be under $10. That's what they offered them for. I would have paid a fair amount more, or bought more features with in app purchasing as Audio Tools does, as I needed the features. Even Desktop software offers add-owns for more money.

This is their own fault.
  • Reply 150 of 158
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    Interesting read....

Adobe says iPad Pro can't replace a laptop for creative work, and it's okay

What is interesting is that they are saying they are coming at it by identifying what is wanted/needed and what is legacy that is not high priority.  They also indicate that their average user has 3 machines - and what they are looking for is what fits into their workflow where.  

Of course what they say -- can simply be what they can provide and not admitting inadequacies until they can address it (which is normal, Apple does it, all companies do it).   I am sure that if they are not taking it seriously another company like Serif will step in.   I do understand that they have a current interface implemented which works in a desktop oriented way and taking all their applications and completely re-engineering all their applications cannot be done overnight, but I suspect they try their best to prioritize.  With the excitement of artists and the fact that artists will disproportionately buy the iPad Pro (vs other professions), and over time they will look to do as much as possible through touch (desktop handling of 3d graphics through the use of single gesture mouse is not optimal).   Until they are able to they will downplay the importance, while at the same time portraying what they have as the best of the breed.  They will of course work to provide similar experiences on both Surface Pro and iPad Pro, but from current estimates the iPad Pro will likely outsell the Surface. 

It isn't just artists. It's those in architecture as well. Reading the architectural journals, you can read excitement in interviews with those in the industry. It's also gaining a lot of interest in the CAD and construction industries. Those industries have been using iPads almost from the beginning, but they believe that with the Pro, and Pencil, that their useage models will expand.

When talking about Adobe, I think we have a very interesting situation evolving. But I keep reminding people that Photoshop is 25 years old, and one doesn't write software like that in a year or two. Anyone who thinks Photoshop can be run well in a Surface Pro is kidding themselves. Yes, the software can be run, but often enough, when I'm using large, hi Rez photos, in complex situations, my Mac Pro shows 40GB of RAM being taken by Photoshop. And yes, that's 40GB, not 4GB. It also requires a powerful GPU to be effective with those photos. So I don't expect the Pro to run it. But, doing a number of things on the Pro that can be brought to the main computer to finish is fine. In addition, we really need an Adobe RGB calibrated monitor to edit color properly.
  • Reply 151 of 158
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't just artists. It's those in architecture as well. Reading the architectural journals, you can read excitement in interviews with those in the industry. It's also gaining a lot of interest in the CAD and construction industries. Those industries have been using iPads almost from the beginning, but they believe that with the Pro, and Pencil, that their useage models will expand.

When talking about Adobe, I think we have a very interesting situation evolving. But I keep reminding people that Photoshop is 25 years old, and one doesn't write software like that in a year or two. Anyone who thinks Photoshop can be run well in a Surface Pro is kidding themselves. Yes, the software can be run, but often enough, when I'm using large, hi Rez photos, in complex situations, my Mac Pro shows 40GB of RAM being taken by Photoshop. And yes, that's 40GB, not 4GB. It also requires a powerful GPU to be effective with those photos. So I don't expect the Pro to run it. But, doing a number of things on the Pro that can be brought to the main computer to finish is fine. In addition, we really need an Adobe RGB calibrated monitor to edit color properly.

You are quite right about CAD; the building industry is a primary user of tablets for the simple reason that they are great for displaying documents quickly, and making some edits and notations. 

For Architectural, Mechanical, Facility, Structural and Chemical Engineering, et al, one of the primary needs is for conceptual design, which is poorly served by most traditional CAD packages; they are designed for precision and specificity first. This is a great role for a tablet, where the designer/engineer can conceptualize, notate, layout, and dimensionally document critical dimensions at the use site, then bring that data into a more powerful desktop application for detail and analysis.

At the same time, these desktop applications are migrating to the tablet, if today only bits and pieces, and if the iPad Pro proves popular, this trend will accelerate as performance evolves.

My speculation as a Mechanical Engineer and machinist, is that I will have robust capabilities on the iPad Pro via Onshape and/or AutoDesk Fusion 360 full conceptual design through part programming by early 2016. I should note, that as of even a year ago, part programming was not available even under OS X.

http://www.solidsmack.com/cad/autodesk-launches-project-leopard-but-still-leaves-questions-unanswered/

EDIT:

A minor correction. Siemens NX is available on the Mac, but not OS X native.

Siemens support is via X11/Motif.

• Reply 152 of 158
    tmay wrote: »
    You are quite right about CAD; the building industry is a primary user of tablets for the simple reason that they are great for displaying documents quickly, and making some edits and notations. 

For Architectural, Mechanical, Facility, Structural and Chemical Engineering, et al, one of the primary needs is for conceptual design, which is poorly served by most traditional CAD packages; they are designed for precision and specificity first. This is a great role for a tablet, where the designer/engineer can conceptualize, notate, layout, and dimensionally document critical dimensions at the use site, then bring that data into a more powerful desktop application for detail and analysis.

At the same time, these desktop applications are migrating to the tablet, if today only bits and pieces, and if the iPad Pro proves popular, this trend will accelerate as performance evolves.

My speculation as a Mechanical Engineer and machinist, is that I will have robust capabilities on the iPad Pro via Onshape and/or AutoDesk Fusion 360 full conceptual design through part programming by early 2016. I should note, that as of even a year ago, part programming was not available even under OS X.

http://www.solidsmack.com/cad/autodesk-launches-project-leopard-but-still-leaves-questions-unanswered/

EDIT:

A minor correction. Siemens NX is available on the Mac, but not OS X native.

Siemens support is via X11/Motif.

Since I've been retired, I haven't needed professional features such as BIN, and others. I've had Bently CAD and others on my Mac. I do use AutoCad 360 on my ipad, though for my use, the $99 yearly fee is stiff. Still it's a pretty good app, and I can use it anywhere. With my new Pro, and the Pencil, which came in a half hour ago, this should be a lot better. I also went looking for my favorite drawing app, iPencil, but couldn't find it on my Pro. I did find an app I don't remember having, called Graphic. It turns out that AutoDesk bought iPencil and turned into this new app. I hope it doesn't mean that they'll go to the yearly license fee model for this too. It's a great, pro level drawing app/drafting app. I use these, and others, such as machine calculation apps, which it seems that every machinery and cutter company has for the iPad. I've got a machine shop and woodworking shop in which I also do work with plastic.
  • Reply 153 of 158

Personally, I've already spent up to $20 for a single (audio) app for the iPad Air 2. Spending $20-50 for the right app on the Pro won't be a big deal and if the app is especially well made and helps me in my business $100 or more wouldn't be out of the question.
  • Reply 154 of 158
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

…perhaps even making the Toggle switch on the side switch from landscape to portrait.

There is no toggle switch on the iPad Pro.

They’re so stupid. I can’t even begin to fathom why they removed it.

• Reply 155 of 158

There is no toggle switch on the iPad Pro.

They’re so stupid. I can’t even begin to fathom why they removed it.

I hadn't realized that.
  • Reply 156 of 158
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Since I've been retired, I haven't needed professional features such as BIN, and others. I've had Bently CAD and others on my Mac. I do use AutoCad 360 on my ipad, though for my use, the $99 yearly fee is stiff. Still it's a pretty good app, and I can use it anywhere. With my new Pro, and the Pencil, which came in a half hour ago, this should be a lot better. I also went looking for my favorite drawing app, iPencil, but couldn't find it on my Pro. I did find an app I don't remember having, called Graphic. It turns out that AutoDesk bought iPencil and turned into this new app. I hope it doesn't mean that they'll go to the yearly license fee model for this too. It's a great, pro level drawing app/drafting app. I use these, and others, such as machine calculation apps, which it seems that every machinery and cutter company has for the iPad. I've got a machine shop and woodworking shop in which I also do work with plastic.

Cool that you have a machine shop AND a woodworking shop. I have a couple of older Haas CNC mills, and an old Daewoo HC 10 CNC Lathe that we are cleaning up; I mostly make RF housings for a local customer.

I have though been building up a woodworking shop; I purchased a 5 x 9 foot CNC Router ( from China) and now have a 20 inch jointer, 23 inch bandsaw, a dust collection system, and a sliding table saw coming in the spring, all from Felder, plus some Festool and Dewalt. Woodworking is something I did when I was in college before I started machining seriously, but just as a hobby. It's a nice diversion from machining most every day. Initially, I'll just be making cabinets for the shop out of baltic birch, at least when I get time.

I think that the Pencil App is called Graphic under AutoDesk. I have it on iPhone and iPad, but other than playing with it a bit, can't really comment on its usability. I did download uMake and Concepts as well, and have Fusion 360 on iPhone and iPad, but its currently only capable of visualization, markup and comment.

I tend to buy/download just to try stuff out and see if it will work out as another design tool.

• Reply 157 of 158
    larryjw wrote: »
    The problem with iPad Pro is too little for too much. And yes, the killer for usefulness of the Pro is iOS and its underlying philosophy -- no sharing among apps.

This latter is a real problem among applications on the Macs also. I'm speaking primarily about the reading apps -- iBooks, Kindle, Overdrive, PDF readers, etc. All are brain-dead apps on both OS X and iOS, in that they only support the most basic Use Cases, and most of those not well.

Regarding the hardware? Four speakers. How stupid is that? Speakers are necessary in case you forgot your earphones, or in the few cases in which there is a need to share the sounds with more than one person. In either case, you must be in an environment where using speakers will not disturb others. A rare set of circumstances.

The danger for Apple here is that it is DOA -- an orphaned product that will never see a version 2. A very niche product. And I say that as a user of the MBP 17" -- another orphaned product which I find useful, but niche, because I belong to a too small a class of user for Apple to build.

For me, the quad speakers are a killer function. I listen to tracks when I work and study, and the mono-aural standard on Apple has always bothered me deeply. The last thing I know that had this set-up were AM radios.

I agree that some will be a nuisance in public, but most of my use will be in private. I am STOKED this thing finally had a typically Apple stereo speaker system that out-does everyhjng else on the market!

Now, if only they would de-commercialise Music so I could easily access all MY tracks, I'd be delighted!
  • Reply 158 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

For me, the quad speakers are a killer function. I listen to tracks when I work and study, and the mono-aural standard on Apple has always bothered me deeply. The last thing I know that had this set-up were AM radios.

I agree that some will be a nuisance in public, but most of my use will be in private. I am STOKED this thing finally had a typically Apple stereo speaker system that out-does everyhjng else on the market!

Now, if only they would de-commercialise Music so I could easily access all MY tracks, I'd be delighted!

"Now, if only they would de-commercialise Music so I could easily access all MY tracks, I'd be delighted!"

Isn't that what iTunes Match is for?