Review: Apple's iPad Pro with A9X CPU and 12.9-inch Retina display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 158
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    haggar wrote: »

I think it is reasonable to say that iPad Pro is still more a large iPad/iPhone than a tiny Mac.

Why does the iPad need to become a Mac?
  • Reply 82 of 158
    palegolas wrote: »
    +1 for training wheels off. iMovie, GarageBand are powerful but still baby apps. The platform feels powerful enough to run Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro iOS counterparts. Watching how well Cubasis works on the iPad is certainly a wake up call for Apple. Pro iPad, pro apps. Time to shift gears.
    I had a similar thought on FCPX, but have moved away from that thought. 128 GB max internal storage would be an issue, even if external drives could connect to the Smart connector. Maybe it would work fine for people who want the capability Final Cut offers, but have small projects.

I would agree there's probably enough horsepower on the iPad Pro to edit in FCPX - I have tried small video projects on the 12" MacBook (used for travel) and Final Cut does ok without too big a performance hit - but, I wouldn't want this to be my main machine for editing as there was some sluggishness on scrubbing the video even on short clips (< 20 minutes).

The bigger problem for me, which would be more challenging on the iPad Pro, was the internal storage limitations of the MacBook - as they require more disk management "gymnastics" than I care for. Not that it couldn't be implemented on the iPad, but not sure the benefits of touch would make up for the downsides.

on a more positive note, I have an iPad Pro on it's way, and should be delivered on Wednesday. Looking forward to putting it to use!
    I don't expect to see the pencil for a few weeks, unless I can intercept one earlier at one of the local Apple stores. I played around with the pencil at the store, and was impressed with the responsiveness and the use of the tilt. The lag time was very small and consistent, so think any talk of lag should be a non issue.
  • Reply 83 of 158
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

I think it is reasonable to say that iPad Pro is still more a large iPad/iPhone than a tiny Mac.

That's wrong. I've been buying iPads since May 2010, and I've seen them advance significantly over the years. I use them for photo,and video editing, CAD, drawing and painting, games, writing, spreadsheets, audio testing and design, machine shop calculations and browsing and e-mail. I've likely left some things out of that.

Where in that group do you do something that the iPad can't do? What do you do out of that group that the iPad can't do? Sure, not all the software is there yet, and not everything is in place in the OS, but this is an argument that I first heard in 1976. I'm not impressed by it.
  • Reply 84 of 158
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Key word being STILL. 

Except that it's wrong.
  • Reply 85 of 158
    rogifan wrote: »

People want that because they look at what Microsoft's doing. Microsoft's just executing better on a decade old concept, nothing new there. They want the current paradigm they're comfortable with, not something new.

It's the same people who bashed the GUI (in essence, Mac OS) as a child's toy, and how CLI based OS's were where you got "real work" done.
  • Reply 86 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It doesn't need to become a Mac but it does need to get more of the features of OS X ported to iOS. With laptops getting lighter weight and longer battery life, and phones getting bigger screens, the iPad has become squeezed and become more niche than it used to be, and this is reflected in the sales figures. 

The iPad Pro, as an especially large one of these, on the face of it might seem even more niche, and therefore a bad idea. But the extra hardware allows it to expand it's software capabilities to match the laptops. This is how the iPad can fight back against the impingement from both sides: it can't do anything about the phones with bigger screens, but when it comes to the laptops it can take them on by improving it's software as they improve their hardware.

And the iPad has one big software advantage over desktop operating systems in our IT security conscious world: the Mac started out as an open system and has had to be more locked down over time, and each extra bit of lock down (e.g. Gatekeeper, App sandbox, SIP) breaks some existing programs. iOS started out locked down, and they can gradually and carefully add more openness without breaking anything.

• Reply 87 of 158

I'd rather have full featured desktop apps on a portable tablet.

• Reply 88 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_C View Post

I had a similar thought on FCPX, but have moved away from that thought. 128 GB max internal storage would be an issue, even if external drives could connect to the Smart connector. Maybe it would work fine for people who want the capability Final Cut offers, but have small projects.

I would agree there's probably enough horsepower on the iPad Pro to edit in FCPX - I have tried small video projects on the 12" MacBook (used for travel) and Final Cut does ok without too big a performance hit - but, I wouldn't want this to be my main machine for editing as there was some sluggishness on scrubbing the video even on short clips (< 20 minutes).

The bigger problem for me, which would be more challenging on the iPad Pro, was the internal storage limitations of the MacBook - as they require more disk management "gymnastics" than I care for. Not that it couldn't be implemented on the iPad, but not sure the benefits of touch would make up for the downsides.

on a more positive note, I have an iPad Pro on it's way, and should be delivered on Wednesday. Looking forward to putting it to use!

I don't expect to see the pencil for a few weeks, unless I can intercept one earlier at one of the local Apple stores. I played around with the pencil at the store, and was impressed with the responsiveness and the use of the tilt. The lag time was very small and consistent, so think any talk of lag should be a non issue.

The iPad Pro would of course not be up to it for being a full editing machine, but it does not mean that some genius might not figure out how to use it in conjunction with a full Mac as an extension or touch/pen display type controller.

• Reply 89 of 158
    tommy0guns wrote: »
    Here is one problem I see with the pro: a pre-established use. When the first iterations of iPad came out, the design was built to service the single user in a very domestic environment. Think of it as a mere web browser/game device. Did Apple foresee this thing taking over as a cash register in thousands of businesses? Doubt it. The mini was clearly designed with e-reading and travel in mind. I've seen it used for inventory and check in functions. Now we have the big guy and Apple is targeting the Designer and professional office crowd. What's people are looking for, is to fit it into their own niche. So just as the other devices went through growing pains and further iterations, the pro needs to do the same thing. So fresh out of the box, Apple doesn't really know where this thing will end up next. However, they are really good at spotting trends and seamlessly assimilating those categories. People cry for a mouse pointer and OS changes before the industry has even had a chance to absorb the tech. Let's see who grabs at this new device before we start trying to gum it up. I can tell you the pro is not meant to sit in the back of a mini-van streaming Peppa Pig.
    you are very right here. We dont know what people will do with this tech.
  • Reply 90 of 158

You make a good argument.

Here's another side. Xerox was a fairly innovative company but primarily within their skunkworks side -- PARC -- Palo Alto Research Center. Yes, Jobs took ideas from Xerox, not the product side of Xerox, but the PARC side. Management of Xerox was brain-dead and had no ability or desire to productize PARC. But, PARC itself had a problem -- nothing was ever done. They always had the next-best thing just around the corner. Smalltalk was invented at PARC and if it had been priced and marketed properly, we'd be using Smalltalk instead of Java -- I'd would have considered that an improvement. 

Where does Apple sit in all this? Apple monetizes and productizes the results of their research and ideas. They push incrementally improved products out the door on a fairly regular basis. It pays for their research and operations to build the products. We buy these products in spite of often merely incremental improvements, which Apple then feeds back into their business. 

The approach is not always successful as witnessed by the fiasco that was GTA sapphire plant. 

not following what you're saying, but incremental improvements is how Apple rolls. Eight or nine years of this has delivered an amazing iPhone.

also:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=On_Xerox,_Apple_and_Progress.txt
  • Reply 91 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy0guns View Post

Here is one problem I see with the pro: a pre-established use. When the first iterations of iPad came out, the design was built to service the single user in a very domestic environment. Think of it as a mere web browser/game device. Did Apple foresee this thing taking over as a cash register in thousands of businesses? Doubt it. The mini was clearly designed with e-reading and travel in mind. I've seen it used for inventory and check in functions. Now we have the big guy and Apple is targeting the Designer and professional office crowd. What's people are looking for, is to fit it into their own niche. So just as the other devices went through growing pains and further iterations, the pro needs to do the same thing. So fresh out of the box, Apple doesn't really know where this thing will end up next. However, they are really good at spotting trends and seamlessly assimilating those categories. People cry for a mouse pointer and OS changes before the industry has even had a chance to absorb the tech. Let's see who grabs at this new device before we start trying to gum it up. I can tell you the pro is not meant to sit in the back of a mini-van streaming Peppa Pig.

It would be a waste if it was just used for little kids to watch cartoons on, but for education in general, including much older children, I think it would be excellent. Surely going after education with a big captivating screen would be lower hanging fruit than going after professional artists in the workplace who already have a powerful workstation hooked in to the company LAN and a pro Wacom tablet connected to it.

• Reply 92 of 158
    appex wrote: »
    I rather get a full computer instead of the iOS toy: MacBook Air.

ah, there we go. thanks for identifying yourself as a troll. you come to each iPad article and insist on calling it a toy...you have no purpose here other than to attempt to disrupt and annoy others. get a new hobby.
  • Reply 93 of 158

hhhuh...I wonder if that's why they named it an iPad rather than a Mac? ya think?
  • Reply 94 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Well, even if it's not "in the cloud", it could be on a local server. That's what I do and why I have tens of terabytes hanging around my house ;-). 128GB or even 256GB is a bit measly for my need

For a corporation a local server / cloud can effectively be the same thing.... and I would not be surprised to see the iPad Pro progress to the point where you could integrate a corporations private cloud/NAS or SAN using high-speed wireless (high speed as in 5Gbps+) communications (Wifi/LTE etc.) to provide a virtual limitless amount of storage depending on whether the information is shared between devices or private to that device.  The 128GB on the device used for Apps and Application settings and a type of cached local storage for when the device is out of range for communications, and the SAN/NAS/ local corporate cloud.  There are options coming where you could easily build a 5 or 10TB local storage into the device in the next few years according to the trade press, but having all that local storage on individual devices floating around the corporation only massively complicates things in the corporation like backup and recoverability (as well as shared data).  Of course iPad Pro 1.0 is not there yet, but that does not mean that it won't as the enterprise market matures.  The computing inside the iPad Pro is still limited for things like Video production but you would not really want all the raw footage on the local device when you are working in small teams on the same project.   It is hard to see exactly where this is going, and I doubt Apple knows exactly where they think it is going, nor IBM.... but assuming that local storage is all you will ever have (in a corporate environment) is likely a bad assumption. 

• Reply 95 of 158
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

The iPad Pro would of course not be up to it for being a full editing machine, but it does not mean that some genius might not figure out how to use it in conjunction with a full Mac as an extension or touch/pen display type controller.

Melgross says you are wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

hhhuh...I wonder if that's why they named it an iPad rather than a Mac? ya think?

• Reply 96 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

There is a difference between doing "video editing" as a consumer, and being a full [professional] editing machine.... 

• Reply 97 of 158

Nope. No he didn't.

Again, nope.

You really need to learn the difference between their posts and yours.
  • Reply 98 of 158
    People want that because they look at what Microsoft's doing. Microsoft's just executing better on a decade old concept, nothing new there. They want the current paradigm they're comfortable with, not something new.

It's the same people who bashed the GUI (in essence, Mac OS) as a child's toy, and how CLI based OS's were where you got "real work" done.

I listened to the ATP podcast where Marco and Siracusa ranted about iOS. I think some of it is offbase. I don't want Apple to turn iOS into OS X and iPad into a Mac. Yes there are improvements needed for iOS on iPad but Apple needs to keep simplicity and ease of use at the forefront. I want to see Apple approach this in a deliberate and thoughtful way not just start cramming all these desktop paradigm features into iOS because of some silly notion that iPad (or at least iPad Pro) needs to replace the PC. You mentioned Microsoft Surface. I would argue Surface is trending more and more towards the laptop side of the equation. I wouldn't consider Surface Pro or Surface Book to be tablets at all and I'll bet most people that buy these devices are using them as laptops.
  • Reply 99 of 158
    brasco wrote: »
    I'd rather have full featured desktop apps on a portable tablet.

How do you define full feature? Does full feature include mouse/keyboard paradigm and if so why would you want that on a touch tablet?
  • Reply 100 of 158
    Perfect tweet from Rene Ritchie.

Rene Ritchie
    ?@reneritchie

Then: Why won’t Apple put touch screens on Macs?

Now: I don't want to touch my iPad, why won't Apple put a trackpad on the Smart Keyboard?

Rene Ritchie ?@reneritchie 12m12 minutes ago

Then: Apple needs to slow down and stabilize software!

Now: WTF didn’t Apple redesign Springboard for iPad Pro?