FBR is latest firm to cut iPhone 6s estimates, but expects 'mega product cycle' for 'iPhone 7'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    sog35 said:
    stevie said:
    Nobody at Apple cares that much about the stock price.  They are just trying their best to make great products.  The stock price will take care of itself.
    Bullshit.

Of course Apple cares about the stock price. That was the whole reason why they are buying back $100 billion in stock.

I'm pretty sure Angela Enherts and the new CFO care about the stockprice.  Or any other executive hired the last 3 years.  Unlike Cook/Ives they don't have stock with a cost basis of $2.  The newer employees could actually be underwater at this point. 

If the stock keeps underperforming, eventually the employees will get fed up and go to another company (Amazon, MSFT, Google) that has a strong stock performance.

Remember that with the top level employees 90% of their compensation is based on the stock.
    Nah, it's your reply (and analysis) that's BS.  If there is one thing that Apple is famous for, it's being an "old-school" company that focusses on what it's job is and eschews the whole "everything comes down to money," capitalist ideology (how successful they are is up for debate but at least they try).  

You talk about Apple stock underperforming yet it's one of the best performing stocks the planet has even seen.  You talk about how the top employees all get their compensation through stock (not actually true, but whatever), yet these people are all multi-millionaires many times over, some of them are billionaires.  Slight fluctuations in the value of their vast, vast holdings of what's possibly the best stock on the market at the moment is not likely to be a big issue on their minds.  

Especially the idea that Apple employees might actually leave the company and go work for a monstrous corporation like Amazon (that treats their customers and employees alike like dirt under their feet), just because Amazon offers a better stock options package or a higher stock price is purest fantasy.  It's so unlikely as to be ludicrous.  
    IanMC2nolamacguydasanman69
  • Reply 42 of 54
    sog35 said:
    Yet Tim Cook says nothing.

He just allows Wall street Bullshitters to have free reign on this stock.

It would literally take 5 minutes for Cook to shut these idiots up, yet he does nothing.
    And if he did, he'd be in hot water with the SEC for stock manipulation because he owns a lot of stock.
    Anyone with financial connections to a company is limited to what they can say about that company to the press.
    Personally, Apple should consider moving is domicile away from the USA and thus give two fingers to Wall St. Not gonna happen though so in the long run it is better if he keeps his lips firmly sealed.
    palomine
  • Reply 42 of 54
    shard said:
    Traditionally if past releases are a guide, the change in number is always a major release and not just cosmetically.

Hmmm...I would argue the 5S and 6S were bigger releases in terms of the technology inside than the 5 or the 6. We've had zero rumors about the 7 other than the possibility of removing the headphone jack. So what is this alleged "pent up demand" for other than these Wall Street clowns thinking if the phone doesn't look different people won't buy it.
    I agree.  The whole report seems to be based on the assumption that people will wait for the full number release instead of buying the "s" model release, but the "s" models are generally a better buy.  I would argue that there are many who wait for the "s" models as there are who wait for the full number models.  I have no actual facts to back that up, but I don't think this guy has the facts to back up his contrary claim either.

I would think (again no facts to back this up) that the majority of people actually buy a new phone when they drop their old one in the toilet or in a bar, or their contract runs out and that very few people actually "wait" for a model of any kind other than pure tech heads.  Mostly people go to the phone store when they need a phone, and the guy at the phone store (it's never a girl is it?), tells them what they should buy.  Typically the shiniest, latest one.   
    edited December 2015 rogifan_old
  • Reply 44 of 54
    sog35 said:
    because Tim has more rules to follow since he has inside knowledge.    If he says anything more than 'What I said yesterday' then everything he says needs to be vetted by compliance.   Note his email to Cramer was defending the stock, but came under scrutiny as a potential SEC violation.  I'm sure he doesn't want to waste the time, and rather run the company and not manage the company based on it's stock price (e.g. rising EPS fixes everything).

WRONG.

His 'letter' to Cramer was scrutinized not because of its content but because it was given to Cramer first before the public. There is nothing in the SEC rules that says a CEO cannot shoot down false rumors.  The violation is if you give this information to an individual first before the public.

Difference is the Amazon CEO and CFO defend the stock.
    Cook sits and does nothing and Wall Street craps on the stock.
    Zip it already. Jobs never said a word, either, and AAPL took a nearly 50% dive under his watch. Either get in for the long-haul and your patience will be rewarded or get out now so the ulcer you're giving yourself doesn't become perforated....putting you in the hospital and preventing you from eating Christmas dinner! :s
    IanMC2nolamacguy
  • Reply 45 of 54
    What this clown says makes no sense. He cites "pent up consumer demand" but then slashes his estimates for March and June quarters. So what is the pent up demand for then?

The stock is up almost a buck today, go figure.
    pent up demand is for the future new form factor.
    People with 6's wanting a 7. (why get a 6s... it looks the same... no real bling value, unless you got a BroseGold version, like me (replacing my 4s!)

So these clowns want us to believe people won't buy the phone unless it has a different "form factor" even though most people aren't buying a new phone every year (which would mean there are a lot of 5 and 5S owners that didn't get a 6) and Tim Cook said on the last two earnings calls that a large percentage of the install base hasn't yet upgraded to the 6 series yet. I think at one point he said roughly 30% had upgraded to the 6/6 Plus. Either these guys are full of crap or if they're not people just don't like the 6 - they don't like the aesthetic look, it's too big, too expensive etc. and so they're waiting for the 7 or an updated 4" phone.
  • Reply 46 of 54

sog35 said:
    because Tim has more rules to follow since he has inside knowledge.    If he says anything more than 'What I said yesterday' then everything he says needs to be vetted by compliance.   Note his email to Cramer was defending the stock, but came under scrutiny as a potential SEC violation.  I'm sure he doesn't want to waste the time, and rather run the company and not manage the company based on it's stock price (e.g. rising EPS fixes everything).

WRONG.

His 'letter' to Cramer was scrutinized not because of its content but because it was given to Cramer first before the public. There is nothing in the SEC rules that says a CEO cannot shoot down false rumors.  The violation is if you give this information to an individual first before the public.

How exactly does Jeff Bezos defend Amazon stock? Amazon gives analysts next to nothing. The only thing Bezos does is go on tv talking about drones or something when he thinks he needs some free PR.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    sog35 said:
    WRONG.

Zip it already. Jobs never said a word, either, and AAPL took a nearly 50% dive under his watch. Either get in for the long-haul and your patience will be rewarded or get out now so the ulcer you're giving yourself doesn't become perforated....putting you in the hospital and preventing you from eating Christmas dinner! :s
    exactly. smart investing means finding good stocks for the long haul, not playing at fantasies of being a day trader. 

only a complete tool would fret over the short term fluctuations of AAPL. 
    dickprinterjackansi
  • Reply 48 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    sog35 said:

Why do you think Apple faces more false rumors than any other company on the face of the planet?
    Its because Apple does such a CRAPPY JOB of calling out these liars.  The Media and Wall Street bullshitters know that 99% of the time Apple won't do jackshit so they continue to spew crap.  Sure Apple did not defend it self in the past.  Does not mean its a good idea to keep being like a wimp and let the bully piss on your face.
    Nonsense... It's has been shown time, and time again that no matter what Apple does or says, Wall Street will do and say its own thing to the contrary.  I can totally understand Tim Cook sidelining it during non-earnings-reporting.  If anything, it always makes Wall Street look like complete idiots each and every time. 

The sad part is that if an employee at any other job were as wrong as the clown of Wall Street, they'd be fired.  How/Why they get away with it after so many countless false-reporting is beyond me.

That being said, I agree with others.  Lighten-up.  Even for me, your rants on the same, tired subjects are really dragging down the threads... and this coming from a guy (me) that's used to being banned here in AI!  Let it go.  One 8 days left in 2015, and unless there is an epic manipulation, I don't see that $150/share price you predicted.  :/
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 49 of 54
    sog35 said:"Why do you think Apple faces more false rumors than any other company on the face of the planet?"

Interesting question. In all the comments in this thread, no one brought up Apple's super-secrecy culture. 

It seems to me that secrecy begets speculation. It's like the famous Area 51. There's nothing the U.S. government could say or do that would diminish the level of speculation-chatter about that site. I think apple's secrecy fuels a lot of false rumors about its direction and successes. However, the same secrecy allows Apple to spring into a new market without warning, and capturing months or years worth of lead over "me too" competition. 

Whether a rumor is true or false, I give Apple's management a lot of kudos for not being reactive to them. Being silent in the face of a constant stream of mostly false speculation by corporate outsiders takes resolve. 

Finally, I do want to welcome sog35 back to the comments from his self-imposed exile. While I usually don't agree with him, he does offer a different perspective that enriches the debate. 

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas with many Apple products given and received.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    sog35 said:
    Nah, it's your reply (and analysis) that's BS.  If there is one thing that Apple is famous for, it's being an "old-school" company that focusses on what it's job is and eschews the whole "everything comes down to money," capitalist ideology (how successful they are is up for debate but at least they try).  

You talk about Apple stock underperforming yet it's one of the best performing stocks the planet has even seen.  You talk about how the top employees all get their compensation through stock (not actually true, but whatever), yet these people are all multi-millionaires many times over, some of them are billionaires.  Slight fluctuations in the value of their vast, vast holdings of what's possibly the best stock on the market at the moment is not likely to be a big issue on their minds.  

Especially the idea that Apple employees might actually leave the company and go work for a monstrous corporation like Amazon (that treats their customers and employees alike like dirt under their feet), just because Amazon offers a better stock options package or a higher stock price is purest fantasy.  It's so unlikely as to be ludicrous.  
    Apple stock has performed TERRIBLE the last 3 years.  You can brag all you want about what Apple stock has done from 2000-2012.  But facts are facts.  And since 2012 the stock has been a total piece of shit compared to the profits they have been reporting. In 3 years the stock is up a pathetic 6% despite growing revenue was 80%.

So any executive who got hired the last 3 years is leaving MILLIONS on the table compared to working for Google, Amazon, and Microsoft.  You can poo poo it all you want but Apple will begin to lose talent if the stock continues to under perform.
    You're basing your assumption on that all these execs care about is money. During the 60 Minutes interview, Tim Cook was asked what Apple looks for in new recruits - Drive to change the world, creativity, challenging status quo, desire to have impact by working on the best products in the world that will be used by tens if not hundreds of millions of users.

If these execs only cared about money, and as you say, can get better compensation elsewhere then no one is forcing them to stay.  The best talent are not motivated by only money.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 51 of 54
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,309member
    If the iPhone 7 came with a 3D OLED screen, was completely waterproof, has 100 hour battery life and was impervious to being damaged even without a case, Wall Street would still manage to find fault.
    edited December 2015 canukstorm
  • Reply 52 of 54
    I swear these analysts are just looking for attention. This Daniel Ives was featured all day yesterday on CNBC. Just like last week when analyst Rich Greenfield downgraded Disney to sell because of concerns over ESPN and cord cutting. Disney stock is down 7% over the last week, even though Star Wars is pulling in record numbers, all because of his downgrade. Apple is down almost 10% the past two months all because of rumors. We have no numbers on the December quarter, not guidance for March yet analysts are freaked out. They all shout iPhone 7 yet they know absolutely nothing about it other than, based on past history, the exterior will look different. And now iPhone 7 is make or break for the company. If it isn't the mother of all product cycles that's the end of Apple. Of course if it is Apple is still doomed because the comps will be too difficult and Wall Street thinks 'S' cycles are boring. So Apple will be doomed until iPhone 8 which once again will be make or break for the company. And the cycle keeps repeating year after year.
    palominecornchip
  • Reply 53 of 54
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,327member
    In my immediate universe--hospital, large medical practice, extended family, the iPhone 6S has outsold the 6.

China remains a wild card.  Apple's now very weakened competitors is another unstated factor. 

Will see who is correct.  The bottom line is that an iPhone is the most addictive consumer product known to man and every middle class person is on a 2-4 year upgrade cycle.

The iPhone needs to be valued like a subscription service by Wall Street.  It will be increasingly difficult for competitors to copy it or replace it.
    palominecornchip