Apple again rumored to drop 3.5mm headphone jack from 'iPhone 7' for Lightning, Bluetooth

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 204
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:

[...] timing transfers now will do you no good, because there are no devices that will utilize the new connectors, and it's doubtful Apple has even enabled them yet in iOS.

When you say "there are no devices that will utilize the new connectors" I assume you mean "except the iPad Pro." Is that correct?
    No, I mean only the iPad Pro has the new 17 pin connector, and there are no Lightning peripherals of which I'm aware that will utilize more than 9 pins, or are likely to after Apple turns on those other 8 pins, including Apple's own Lightning cables and accessories.
  • Reply 202 of 204

mac_128 said:

Also, If Lightning is intended as the defectors headphone jack, then it will end up on Macs as well, offering another high speed port option. Putting it on a Mac at current speeds would be silly. Whatever happens with the 3.5mm Jack, I think we can all expect a much faster Lightning bus.

Or Apple could do us all a favour by dumping Lightning altogether and just using a USB-C connector instead.

And on about the same level of likelihood, I wish I could fly.
  • Reply 203 of 204
    Soli said:

When you say "there are no devices that will utilize the new connectors" I assume you mean "except the iPad Pro." Is that correct?
    I believe he means there are no accessories, peripherals, or cables that will utilize the new female Lightning connector pins found in the iPad Pro.
    Okay, hence my confusion because the Lightning cable that came with the iPad is the same as what came with our iPhones.

So why do files transfer to the iPad so much faster than the same files to an iPhone?
  • Reply 204 of 204
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    I believe he means there are no accessories, peripherals, or cables that will utilize the new female Lightning connector pins found in the iPad Pro.
    Okay, hence my confusion because the Lightning cable that came with the iPad is the same as what came with our iPhones.

So why do files transfer to the iPad so much faster than the same files to an iPhone?
    Faster NAND and/or more NAND chips so that read/writes are distributed more evenly like in a RAID0 config, are the first two things that come to mind. Another would be the USB 3.0 HW for the USB bus, as well as new wiring required from the female Lightning port to the NAND, is better, thus offering a better maximum speed while still being within the USB 2.0 capacity.
    edited January 2016