Apple again rumored to drop 3.5mm headphone jack from 'iPhone 7' for Lightning, Bluetooth

Comments

• Reply 161 of 204
    NOOOOOOOOO! I want my old plug-in ear buds that allows the prong to get broken inside the device! Hey, since I thought about it, I want my CD option back in my Mini. While your at it, can you bring back the Mini-CD, and make my iPod compatible with my old 8-Tracks too!  Get over it! Apple is pushing the industry to move away from yet another outdated ANALOG input style. Time to move to a more digital sound on our iDevices.
  • Reply 162 of 204
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    pinbot61 said:
    NOOOOOOOOO! I want my old plug-in ear buds that allows the prong to get broken inside the device! Hey, since I thought about it, I want my CD option back in my Mini. While your at it, can you bring back the Mini-CD, and make my iPod compatible with my old 8-Tracks too!  Get over it! Apple is pushing the industry to move away from yet another outdated ANALOG input style. Time to move to a more digital sound on our iDevices.
    Now you can have your lightning plug break off in your device instead.  Progress is a wonderful thing.
  • Reply 163 of 204
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    cnocbui said:
    pinbot61 said:
    Now you can have your lightning plug break off in your device instead.  Progress is a wonderful thing.
    Have you had that happen? I've easily plugged and unplugged my Lightning connector in across all my iDevices between my Macs, my bedroom wall socket with the PSU, and into my car's USB port since it launched, than all the 3.5mm audio jacks I've plugged and unplugged since I was born. I've had issue with 3.5mm jacks, but never with my Lighting plug's "duckbill" breaking off inside the port.
  • Reply 164 of 204
    It's time to let go as far as I am concerned. Have been using BT headphones ever since got a pair 5 years ago.
    stangaddict
  • Reply 165 of 204
    How about let's take it a step further and ditch both ports? Embrace the future and integrate wireless charging. Bluetooth isn't going anywhere so let's get on board more with that too. Apple loves wireless, let's do this.
  • Reply 166 of 204
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    How about let's take it a step further and ditch both ports? Embrace the future and integrate wireless charging. Bluetooth isn't going anywhere so let's get on board more with that too. Apple loves wireless, let's do this.
    It's coming. But one step at a time. I don't see wireless charging really taking off until it can be transmitted without requiring some kind of charging mat. That way, you set up a single charging "tower" in your house, and another one in your car, and never have to worry about it again. Of course that would be followed by public charging spaces at Starbucks, and airports, etc. Tesla invented this technology to power cities 100 years ago, so I'm not sure where it stands today. And don't we always need some kind of "diagnostic" port in case the wireless interfaces fail? Apple pretended like with the Retina MacBook marketing that they didn't even have to include a port of any kind, but because they included one for charging they decided to go with the USB-C that could do it all. Right. In the end, wireless is the future for everything. But there's always a need for a backup. No matter how good battery life gets, the option to plug a cable into something rather than rely on battery life or wireless is important. But the connector size will continue to shrink as well. 
  • Reply 167 of 204
    mac_128 said:
    It's coming. But one step at a time. I don't see wireless charging really taking off until it can be transmitted without requiring some kind of charging mat. That way, you set up a single charging "tower" in your house, and another one in your car, and never have to worry about it again. Of course that would be followed by public charging spaces at Starbucks, and airports, etc. Tesla invented this technology to power cities 100 years ago, so I'm not sure where it stands today. And don't we always need some kind of "diagnostic" port in case the wireless interfaces fail? Apple pretended like with the Retina MacBook marketing that they didn't even have to include a port of any kind, but because they included one for charging they decided to go with the USB-C that could do it all. Right. In the end, wireless is the future for everything. But there's always a need for a backup. No matter how good battery life gets, the option to plug a cable into something rather than rely on battery life or wireless is important. But the connector size will continue to shrink as well. 
    I could see induction charging happening with the iPhone 7.
  • Reply 168 of 204
    Soli said:
    cnocbui said:
    Have you had that happen? I've easily plugged and unplugged my Lightning connector in across all my iDevices between my Macs, my bedroom wall socket with the PSU, and into my car's USB port since it launched, than all the 3.5mm audio jacks I've plugged and unplugged since I was born. I've had issue with 3.5mm jacks, but never with my Lighting plug's "duckbill" breaking off inside the port.
    No that hasn't happened to me, I don't do iOS.

As per my predictions-  ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.

Apple’s next big phone—presumably called the iPhone 7—will come without a 3.5mm headphone jack, will be noticeably thinner, will very likely support wireless charging and be waterproof, a source with knowledge of the company’s plans tells Fast Company. As has been rumored, our source confirms that the new phone will rely on its Lightning cable port for sound output to wired headphones. That port has been used for power and data transfer in recent iPhones. Users can also use wireless headphones. Apple is working with its longtime audio chip partner Cirrus Logic to adapt the audio chipset in the iPhone to work with the Lightning port, according to our source. Apple's Angela Ahrendts On Where The Company Is Taking Retail Next At today's Fast Company Innovation Festival, the Apple SVP revealed what she's learned on the job and what she wants to do now. Read more >> Our source adds that the audio system will also leverage a new noise-canceling technology from Wolfson Microelectronics—a U.K.-based audio tech company Cirrus acquired in 2014. The software will be baked into the phone and also into the headphones that will plug into it, and will help remove background noise in music playback and in phone calls, our source says. Numerous third-party headphone makers will use the technology in their own Lightning-compatible headphones, our source says, and they'll have to buy a license to use the audio processing technology. Some media reports have suggested that Apple will include a set of Lightning-connected EarPod earphones in the box with the iPhone 7. It's more likely, our source says, that Apple will sell a more expensive pair of noise-canceling, Lightning-connected, earphones or headphones separately—possibly under its Beats brand. Still other media reports say that Apple may include with the iPhone 7 an adapter that will allow users to plug regular 3.5mm analog headphones into the new phone.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/3055208/its-true-apple-will-drop-the-headphone-jack-to-make-the-iphone-7-slimmer-and-simpler
  • Reply 169 of 204
    cnocbui said:
    Soli said:

Apple’s next big phone—presumably called the iPhone 7—will come without a 3.5mm headphone jack, will be noticeably thinner, will very likely support wireless charging and be waterproof, a source with knowledge of the company’s plans tells Fast Company. As has been rumored, our source confirms that the new phone will rely on its Lightning cable port for sound output to wired headphones. That port has been used for power and data transfer in recent iPhones. Users can also use wireless headphones. Apple is working with its longtime audio chip partner Cirrus Logic to adapt the audio chipset in the iPhone to work with the Lightning port, according to our source. Apple's Angela Ahrendts On Where The Company Is Taking Retail Next At today's Fast Company Innovation Festival, the Apple SVP revealed what she's learned on the job and what she wants to do now. Read more >> Our source adds that the audio system will also leverage a new noise-canceling technology from Wolfson Microelectronics—a U.K.-based audio tech company Cirrus acquired in 2014. The software will be baked into the phone and also into the headphones that will plug into it, and will help remove background noise in music playback and in phone calls, our source says. Numerous third-party headphone makers will use the technology in their own Lightning-compatible headphones, our source says, and they'll have to buy a license to use the audio processing technology. Some media reports have suggested that Apple will include a set of Lightning-connected EarPod earphones in the box with the iPhone 7. It's more likely, our source says, that Apple will sell a more expensive pair of noise-canceling, Lightning-connected, earphones or headphones separately—possibly under its Beats brand. Still other media reports say that Apple may include with the iPhone 7 an adapter that will allow users to plug regular 3.5mm analog headphones into the new phone.
    http://www.fastcompany.com/3055208/its-true-apple-will-drop-the-headphone-jack-to-make-the-iphone-7-slimmer-and-simpler
    I'm not sure what you predicted. Everything I read falls inline with the rumours and expectations of what Apple would likely do if and when they remove the 3.5mm jack.
  • Reply 170 of 204
    Soli said:
    Well, I could too, especially since they introduced it with the Watch, which is likely going to persist as an iPhone accessory for at least a few more years. And then there's the iPad Pro keyboard connector which would also serve as a magnetic inductive charging port. That way, you've got one charger for both, which also works on the iPad. And eventually the Mac. That also solves the problem of removing the 3.5mm jack, and being able to plug in one's headphones while charging the phone.

However, the problem really is whether inductive charging is up to the same level as direct charging via Lightning. The rMacBook included one port, according to Apple's marketing, because a physical connection is still the best way to charge something. But maybe that's only true at this point for the massive battery requirements of a MacBook, but the efficiency difference for the iPhone is nominal? I don't know. 

Regardless, it's not really different than plugging a cord into the phone, versus sticking it onto the surface. The Lightning port isn't likely to go anywhere for a while, and it doesn't really improve the charging capabilities of the device. All it really does is eliminate the need for a passthrough adapter on the Lightning headphones, and other dongles. And it introduces yet another adapter every Apple customer will have to buy whether they use and Watch or not -- granted, I would expect Lightning to continue to charge the phone as well. 

But that brings up another point, however little room the hardware takes up to implement, is it worth having a redundant charging system with so little payoff? It's not like Lightning connectors are notorious for failing. Again, Apple usually introduces new tech when they can really make a splash, and wireless power, regardless of where your phone is in the room is very cool, and would be the Apple way to do this -- not essentially the same thing as what Samsung is doing with their charging mats.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 171 of 204
    Soli said:
    cnocbui said:

I'm not sure what you predicted. Everything I read falls inline with the rumours and expectations of what Apple would likely do if and when they remove the 3.5mm jack.
    That it's all about the money.  Not including either an adapter or compatible headphones is just so Apple.   No doubt you will also have to pay more to have the privilege. of paying more as well.
  • Reply 172 of 204
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Soli said:
    mac_128 said:
    Perhaps. Could finally be the time to unify the Watch charging with other devices...
  • Reply 173 of 204
    mac_128 said:
    Soli said:
    Well, I could too, especially since they introduced it with the Watch, which is likely going to persist as an iPhone accessory for at least a few more years. And then there's the iPad Pro keyboard connector which would also serve as a magnetic inductive charging port. That way, you've got one charger for both, which also works on the iPad. And eventually the Mac. That also solves the problem of removing the 3.5mm jack, and being able to plug in one's headphones while charging the phone.

However, the problem really is whether inductive charging is up to the same level as direct charging via Lightning. The rMacBook included one port, according to Apple's marketing, because a physical connection is still the best way to charge something. But maybe that's only true at this point for the massive battery requirements of a MacBook, but the efficiency difference for the iPhone is nominal? I don't know. 

Regardless, it's not really different than plugging a cord into the phone, versus sticking it onto the surface. The Lightning port isn't likely to go anywhere for a while, and it doesn't really improve the charging capabilities of the device. All it really does is eliminate the need for a passthrough adapter on the Lightning headphones, and other dongles. And it introduces yet another adapter every Apple customer will have to buy whether they use and Watch or not -- granted, I would expect Lightning to continue to charge the phone as well. 

But that brings up another point, however little room the hardware takes up to implement, is it worth having a redundant charging system with so little payoff? It's not like Lightning connectors are notorious for failing. Again, Apple usually introduces new tech when they can really make a splash, and wireless power, regardless of where your phone is in the room is very cool, and would be the Apple way to do this -- not essentially the same thing as what Samsung is doing with their charging mats.
    I'm keen on inductive charging, but only because I want something more convenient than the plug or the dock. The latter is a pain because I have to hold the base of the dock to remove the iPhone. It's a heavy base milled from a solid piece of aluminium but that Lightning connector is snug. If they include a way that you could dock it without using the standard Lightning connector to power it so you could pick it up or put it down with only one hand, I'd be happy with that.

For example, the bottom of iPhones have screws. I don't think that's going away. What if there was a ring around each screw that worked as the inductive contact points? You set it in the inductive trough, the electronics detect a connection, do their quick check to make sure it's safe to start the power transfer, and then a few milliseconds later it starts charging. Would using a dock for inductive charging instead the typical round pad in which it's place flat an issue for anyone?
  • Reply 174 of 204

Soli said:
    Perhaps. Could finally be the time to unify the Watch charging with other devices…
    I don't think Watch's charging disc could be used with any other device, if that's what you mean.
  • Reply 175 of 204

cnocbui said:
    Soli said:
    That it's all about the money.  Not including either an adapter or compatible headphones is just so Apple.   No doubt you will also have to pay more to have the privilege. of paying more as well.
    Of course it's about money; the question is, if it's all about money as a short-term goal, and not about money by making the best possible products at the best possible time (like moving to Lightning headphones when they add USB 3.0 which doubles the pins from 8 to 16), then why not have done this many years ago with the 30-pin connector, which included audio out pins, or with Lightning earlier by simply doubling up the pins in the design stage on the connector itself or with pins on the inside of the female connector even when using USB 2.0?

To just say "it's all about the money" implies that it's only about the money, which ignores how they haven't done this in years past or the benefits of the change (even if they are benefits you personally don't care for).
  • Reply 176 of 204
    [...] The headphone jack is outdated technology that has limitations.
    What kind of limitations does a headphone jack impose? How is it outdated? I suspect I disagree with you, but maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

The bottom line is that our hearing isn't digital. That means at some point the digital signal has to be converted to analog and amplified to a level that will drive a pair of little speakers. The current way of doing that works fine. Where's the problem?

If the plan is to move the DAC and amplifier out of the phone and into the headphones, it just adds the need for another power supply and shifts bulk to where it's even less welcome -- on your head. If the plan is to just pass the analog output through the Lightning connector instead of a 3.5mm jack, why bother? It sacrifices the benefit of universal connectivity while adding a small amount of cost and inconvenience.

How does the user benefit from removal of the 3.5mm jack? Again, I'm not saying there ISN'T a benefit, but if there is one, it isn't immediately apparent (unless one accepts the premise that reducing port count is inherently desirable).
  • Reply 177 of 204
    [...] The headphone jack is outdated technology that has limitations.
    What kind of limitations does a headphone jack impose? How is it outdated? I suspect I disagree with you, but maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

The bottom line is that our hearing isn't digital. That means at some point the digital signal has to be converted to analog and amplified to a level that will drive a pair of little speakers. The current way of doing that works fine. Where's the problem?

If the plan is to move the DAC and amplifier out of the phone and into the headphones, it just adds the need for another power supply and shifts bulk to where it's even less welcome -- on your head. If the plan is to just pass the analog output through the Lightning connector instead of a 3.5mm jack, why bother? It sacrifices the benefit of universal connectivity while adding a small amount of cost and inconvenience.

How does the user benefit from removal of the 3.5mm jack? Again, I'm not saying there ISN'T a benefit, but if there is one, it isn't immediately apparent (unless one accepts the premise that reducing port count is inherently desirable).
    All these questions and more have been discussed and detailed in this very thread innumerable times.
  • Reply 178 of 204
    Hyundella said:
    It's time to let go as far as I am concerned. Have been using BT headphones ever since got a pair 5 years ago.
    Hey, that's great. So how exactly would I connect my iPhone to the Aux input on my car stereo using BT?

Oh, and I carry my iPhone around to gigs where I plug it into the sound system for playback. How would I do that via BT?

I've also got a really nice set of Beyer cans with a boom mic like the ones they use for sports broadcasts. How would I adapt those for BT? Should I just "let go" of that $350 and spend another $300-ish for a BT headset?
  • Reply 179 of 204
    Hey, that's great. So how exactly would I connect my iPhone to the Aux input on my car stereo using BT?

Oh, and I carry my iPhone around to gigs where I plug it into the sound system for playback. How would I do that via BT?

I've also got a really nice set of Beyer cans with a boom mic like the ones they use for sports broadcasts. How would I adapt those for BT? Should I just "let go" of that $350 and spend another $300-ish for a BT headset?

Easiest wired solution for all 3: a $20 Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Easiest Bluetooth solution for all 3: a $20 Bluetooth receiver dongle

http://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Streambot-Bluetooth-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00MJMV0GU

I'm using one now that I mistakenly ordered when I was trying to buy the MPOW Bluetooth transmitter for use with my old iPod Video and Bluetooth headphones (which works great by the way).

Basically, I plug this little device into any audio input from the aux jack in rental cars, or speaker systems, or I can plug a regular pair of earphones into it. Works great turning my Apple earbuds into BT wireless ones. 

i didn't even know such things existed, not to mention could be so inexpensive until I went looking for legacy equipment. If Apple does this, the cost of such devices will drop as demand rises, and the quality and technology will improve. Not to mention they will sell them at the Apple Store and wherever iPhones are sold, so it will be hard not to know about them.

And here's the best part going BT -- in the car, no more fumbling with the aux cord, BT connects automatically. When you plug into a sound system, you can walk up to 50 feet away from the board and control the music from your iPhone. Likewise for the headphones ... You won't be tethered to your device anymore -- when you're making lunch in the kitchen, you won't have to carry the phone around with you to have a conversation -- truly hands free.

DISCLAIMER: I just realized you said you had headphones with a mic -- this particular adapter has a built-in mic and only outputs stereo audio. So when using with an iPhone, the mic Input source is coming from the BT dongle, not the headphones attached. This is something I expect to change once the iPhone goes this route. As BT dongles become Apple specific, they will include a 4-conductor connection to accomodate external mics. They may have them now, but I haven't really researched it.
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 180 of 204
    mac_128 said:

Easiest wired solution for all 3: a $20 Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Easiest Bluetooth solution for all 3: a $20 Bluetooth receiver dongle

http://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Streambot-Bluetooth-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00MJMV0GU

I had no idea BT adapters like that exist! Neat. Thanks!