What Apple would have to do to comply with Donald Trump's American-built mandate

Comments

• Reply 161 of 191
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    Single-payer system cannot happen at the Federal level without a constitutional amendment.  Such a healthcare scheme is only possible at the state level. There's a reason why the ACA monstrosity is what it is...the single-payer solution has never been politically feasible, nor should it be. 
    Single payer or Medicare for all is perfectly constitutional - Even a republican Supreme Court wouldn't dare declare Medicare unconstitutional.
    Medicare is constitutional because it was added to the Social Security Act. Now, if you want to argue about the wisdom of having permanent entitlements like this in the Constitution, that's another matter.
    Why do you believe that Medicare is OK as just an Act, but single-payer health care can't be an Act, but instead has to be an Amendment to the Constitution?
    To be honest, I don't think any of it is OK.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 162 of 191
    The Chinese are already replacing human labor with robots.  Little reason those robots couldn't be located within the USA.  There will be fewer people doing things by hand and lots of people fixing and maintaining robots with more skilled labor dealing with complex tasks where automation doesn't work.  3D printing is changing manufacturing at a rapid pace.  The difference with additive manufacturing and reduction manufacturing of metal alloys is changing everything.  They lay powdered metal down and melt it with lasers to create layers of just about any metallic alloy.  That means they can build motor parts, etc.  No more CNC milling and stamping of parts.  Start your replicators people.  The next step is atomic / molecular construction ala Star Trek.  
  • Reply 163 of 191
    morky said:
    The robotics solution will play out eventually, regardless of mandates.
    That's why there is no reason to keep factories in China and become hostage of foreign infrastructure. Logistics also plays role. Shipping is also important. Let me use example of so great West Coast that did not want Trump. So why Boeing is manufactured in Everett Washington with parts manufactured in California and Apple could not be made this way bringing jobs to all those who riot under Mexican flag and say Trump is not their president? I have problem with understanding where the problem is and why it cannot be solved. Maybe I understand something... but I hope to be wrong.
  • Reply 164 of 191
    Fcastle said:
    frankie said:
    Or we could actually make multibillion dollar corps actually pay taxes, living wages, keep jobs in America, and make BUYING that allows all these illegal.
    So...communism then. Or fascism. At any rate, the government would control everything. 

We conservatives are doing our best to stop this maniac, but we're probably going to have to destroy the GOP to do it, so...buckle up. 
    You clearly have no knowledge or understanding of communism or fascism. Read a book, for crying out loud.
    Exactly! And for the record I am older generation and I lived in communism in Eastern Europe. We voted it out in 1989. SOme fools in America do not get what it is and how it works. Schools do not teach that apparently.
    singularitytallest skilpropod
  • Reply 165 of 191
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    This is  ridiculous !
    we can not stop  counterfeit items from coming into the country (US)...  
    so how are you gonna stop Chinese made iPhones from  coming into the USA?...  
    35% extra  markup on an iPhone...  and you expect US citizens will only buy US made iPhones?

furthermore, The US is not going to be making all the phones for the world, they  will only be making phones for the US...

The rest of the world will be buying phones from China...  
    Or does Pres-elect Trump/republican party expect that every iPhone will be made in every country it's sold in...

Samsung is a US company here.  Will they forced to make all the phones here, for the US market ?... 

Remember when the US had manufacturing? they made TV sets here, (CRT TV's)  
    That tells me they were making a profit,   It also tells me they moved the manufacturing overseas because they wanted to make even more profit...
     So why would they move the manufacturing back here? So a company can make LESS profit?.

• Reply 166 of 191
    sandorsandor Posts: 659member
    k2kw said:
    Single payer or Medicare for all is perfectly constitutional - Even a republican Supreme Court wouldn't dare declare Medicare unconstitutional.
    Neither is constitutional. What someone would “dare” to do has absolutely nothing to do with the constitutionality of said action or the thing being ruled.
    sandor said:
    Sorry. No. We know how the government “calculates” its shit. We know it’s wrong. I don’t care about their dialectic or how they want to try to reframe the definition of ‘unemployed’. I care about the number of working age individuals who aren’t, and it’s nowhere near 4 and a half fucking percent. kamilton said:

it is easy to change the face of the argument when you don't have data to back it up.

show me decades worth of *your* statistical calculations of unemployment. what is most telling is the trends & change - i.e. recovering from the financial disaster that under regulated banks poured on the working class.

yeah. now they are having the minimal post-disaster regulations removed :/

who is playing to wall street?
    there is no draining of any swamp, there is a power-hungry demagogue fueled by nepotism, feeding the banks that made him, and they will trample on the people again (as he has done since his dad first gave him a $1,000,000 "loan". 

your next post should be at least a decade of your calculations of unemployment, so we can see how the numbers are actually trending.
    edited November 2016 propod
  • Reply 167 of 191
    oh, and just for reference, the president-elect is now losing by over 1,000,000 votes.

Like all in the political game, he said what he thought he had to in order to win power. i.e., he lied.
  • Reply 168 of 191
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sandor said:
    Like all in the political game, he said what he thought he had to in order to win power. i.e., he lied.
    Assuming he was just trying to rally the hate mongers to get their vote, what Trump did was different from other elections. You can't run on demagoguery and not expect negative consequences from all sides as a result. 18 months of telling people their bigotry is justified and fostering more fear by telling people that the media is lying when reporting on his actual words just makes the issue worse.

While everyone is responsible for their own actions, Trump is responsible for making this situation worse. The terrified bifs that voted for Trump also leads to a potential longterm issue of this becoming the norm in American politics because it worked. It's a terrible precedent to set for this country.
    edited November 2016 sandorpropod
  • Reply 169 of 191
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,228member
    Soli said:
    The article conflates employee costs with labor costs. Sure, the average Chinese worker makes about $300 a month (as a floor), and that would be 4 to 8 times more in the U.S. as a start. But the article also states that labor costs account for about $5 per phone currently. Making the phones in the U.S. would raise labor costs to (say) $20 a phone, so that a $649 phone becomes $664 -- yes, it's more but it's hardly a deal breaker for many. From the article, labor costs are a small fraction of the total costs of the phone. No business person likes giving away even pennies, but assembling the phones in the U.S. under this scenario is not a killer for Apple. That's if the labor cost is truly $5 a phone.
    That doesn't begin to account for what it would cost Apple to bring the entire production shop to the US from China.
    What would be wrong with moving part of the iPhone production shop to the US as a start? Arguing either it's all or nothing is pretty darn limiting (and polarizing). In addition Trump never said "all manufacturing" in the first place so those bringing it up as tho he was mandating anything like that are starting out with a false premise.

Personally I think the US is much more capable of a return to manufacturing than some are giving it credit for. Individual companies each chasing maximum profits for their own benefit, thus foreign manufacturing, is what has turned the US into a further into  a services rather than creation economy over the past 40 years IMHO. There is a place in the middle that would bring higher wage and more satisfying jobs to the US even if big US companies might have to suffer with 30% margins instead of 35%, or $10B in the bank instead of $12B. Whatever happened to "the greater good", "for love of country", "your fellow American"? Selfishness. . . 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 170 of 191
    gatorguy said:
    Arguing either it's all or nothing is pretty darn limiting (and polarizing). 
    Who said anything about it has to be all or nothing?
  • Reply 171 of 191
    sandor said:
    …the working class.
    I don’t like commie gotcha phrases.
    there is no draining of any swamp
    Nice defeatism.
    a $1,000,000 "loan". 
    Uh… he paid it back and the stipulation was that it be paid back, so explain how it wasn’t a loan.
    your next post should be at least a decade of your calculations of unemployment, so we can see how the numbers are actually trending.
    Your laziness and refusal to accept fact already presented because it hurts your feelings only serves to weaken your argument. What kind of idiot thinks unemployment is under 5% with the economy in its current state? I mean, holy fuck, have some fucking self-awareness here.

sandor said:
    oh, and just for reference, the president-elect is now losing by over 1,000,000 votes.
    3 million illegals voted and there are 4 million dead people registered. Never mind the fact that we don’t have fucking voter ID laws in a majority of the country. Try the fuck again.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 172 of 191
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,228member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    That argument began with the article itself. IMO far too few folks recognize the increasing danger of the US turning into a country of minimal wage hourly servants whose workplace existence is for further enriching the already comfortable masters.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 173 of 191
    sandor said:
    …the working class.
    Nice defeatism.
    a $1,000,000 "loan". 
    Uh… he paid it back and the stipulation was that it be paid back, so explain how it wasn’t a loan.
    Your laziness and refusal to accept fact already presented because it hurts your feelings only serves to weaken your argument. What kind of idiot thinks unemployment is under 5% with the economy in its current state? I mean, holy fuck, have some fucking self-awareness here.

sandor said:
    3 million illegals voted and there are 4 million dead people registered. Never mind the fact that we don’t have fucking voter ID laws in a majority of the country. Try the fuck again.
    And where's your evidence for the three million illegal votes and the 4 million dead people votes?
    propod
  • Reply 174 of 191
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    That argument began with the article itself. 
    If one wants it to be all then that will likely never be an option at any price because so much comes form outside the US. Sure, we can source aluminium from the US at a much higher cost than other countries. And, sure, we can create US machinery that will build these American made products decades down the road. But there are still plenty of licenses for patents that are paid to other companies in other nations that to go "all or nothing" means that you will likely always have nothing.
  • Reply 175 of 191
    sandor said:
    …the working class.
    Nice defeatism.
    a $1,000,000 "loan". 

sandor said:
    show me your unemployment stats for the past several decades.

let us see *your* trends vs. the US department of labor
    propod
  • Reply 176 of 191
    3 million illegals voted and there are 4 million dead people registered.
    I agree. Clinton would have easily beaten Trump if not for all the deplorables cheating for him.
    edited November 2016 sandor
  • Reply 177 of 191
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    4 million now?  Even Trump himself only claimed an estimate of 1.8m dead people registered.  And even so, unless you have proof that those registrations were used to vote you've got nothing.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 178 of 191
    Soli said:
    3 million illegals voted and there are 4 million dead people registered.
    I agree. Clinton would have easily beaten Trump if not for all the deplorable cheating for him.
    this shit is rigged. Trump himself said it.
    singularity
  • Reply 179 of 191
    crowley said:
    4 million now?  Even Trump himself only claimed an estimate of 1.8m dead people registered.  And even so, unless you have proof that those registrations were used to vote you've got nothing.
    That's the straw man in that argument. There will always be deceased (and incarcerated) people on voter registries but by simply stating "x-many dead people registered to vote" you state a facile impression that someone has gone out of their way to register people who were long dead. They also make claims about voter fraud, and while there is probably someone somewhere whose lost someone in their household that had signed up for vote-by-mail and who may have decided to fill out their ballot, none of this is going to sway an election.

But they don't want the story to be mundane. These are people that put emotions before critical thinking. The more "juicy" the story the more likely they are going believe it without any notion of verifying its source, so long as it based up their belief system. These are not intellectuals. These are not thinkers. They are afraid because they can't tell the real media from the fake media. These are people that all tell you Megyn Kelly is an evil bitch but will forward what I think is clearly fake news after only reading its absurd headline. These are the people that believe Obama is a secret Muslim and born in Kenya, yet will cry foul on the dozen+ women who say "Trump did to me exactly what he admitted he does in that audio clip"  because there isn't any video evidence that he sexually assaulted them. That's what we're dealing with today—uneducated, bigoted Caucasians who feel disenfranchised simply because a half-black man was POTUS for 8 years, regardless of the amazing job he did despite the obstructionists trying to block his every move since Inauguration Day.
    edited November 2016 singularity
  • Reply 180 of 191
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    That argument began with the article itself. IMO far too few folks recognize the increasing danger of the US turning into a country of minimal wage hourly servants whose workplace existence is for further enriching the already comfortable masters.
    Or Eloi.