Avid iPhone user Donald Trump calls for Apple boycott over encryption fight

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
Donald Trump, who is seeking the U.S. Republican presidential nomination, on Friday said consumers should boycott Apple until the company complies with government requests to help unlock an iPhone 5c tied to last year's San Bernardino massacre.

Trump's off-the-cuff statement came during a campaign rally in South Carolina on Friday, where the outspoken businessman magnate urged constituents to stop using Apple products until the company gave in to law enforcement demands.

"First of all Apple should give the security for that phone, okay?" Trump said. "What I think you oughta do is boycott Apple until such time as they give that security number. How do you like...I just thought of that."

The crowd responded with a rousing cheer as Trump dropped more fact bombs, clarifying that the iPhone in question is in fact owned by the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, not the "young thug" that "killed all these people." He was referring to Syed Rizwan Farook who, with the help of his wife Tashfeen Malik, killed 14 coworkers in a surprise attack last December.

FBI agents recovered Farook's iPhone 5c from a related crime scene but has so far been unsuccessful in circumventing the device's passcode lock. Earlier this week a federal judge ordered Apple to comply with FBI requests to assist in bypassing the phone's security barrier, which would require the company to create a software workaround that effectively breaks its own encryption protocol.

Seemingly caught up in his own rhetoric, Trump forgot he himself frequently uses an iPhone to post both personal and professional tweets. But he was on a roll.

"Not even his phone, we don't even have to go that far," Trump said. "But Tim Cook is looking to do a big number, probably to show how liberal he is. But Apple should give up -- they should get the security -- you'll find other people."

Trump most recently tweeted from his iPhone less than an hour prior to this article's publication. Following today's remarks, Trump in a tweet sent from Twitter's Web client admitted to using Apple's products, but claimed to also use Samsung devices, which he would switch to exclusively until Apple complies with FBI demands.

Trump later committed his boycott Apple message to the digital record in yet another tweet. But this time he used an Android device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 170
    Bozo

What a piece of c**p this guy is.
    brian greencalifordeefrankiewilliamlondonnolamacguysergiozlatifbpteejay2012anantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 170
    May the talking Jack-o-lantern head enjoy his ever failing Samsung products. 
    brian greencalifordeejbdragonfrankiewilliamlondonmagman1979brakkenlatifbplymf
  • Reply 3 of 170
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    As is clearly evident from my Avatar, I'm a Trump fan, but he couldn't be more wrong about this issue, in my opinion.

And before any Obamatons come here to criticize me or my post, remember one thing: It is your Obama that is in charge and who is behind this latest attack on Apple by the Obama DOJ, so there are many people who are wrong about this encryption issue on both sides of the aisle.

For starters, I doubt that there is anything of importance at all on the phone. The two terrorists completely destroyed two other phones, and I believe there is a harddrive that is also missing. That is where any important info would have been. Not on a work iPhone that they didn't even bother to destroy.

Tim Cook should be prepared to go to jail, if it comes to that. I think that it would be great publicity for Apple on a level that we haven't seen before.
    brian greenmike1jbdragonboltsfan17pscooter63baconstangG. Ned C.anantksundaramtallest skilOmaha
  • Reply 4 of 170
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Trump is a buffoon. I hope the DOJ goes after Google and blackberry so trump doesn't tweet anymore. Oh wait, Twitter supports Apple too. Is he gonna boycott them too? Here's hoping...
    brian greendavidmachchiacalifordeejbdragonfrankiepropodnolamacguybrakken
  • Reply 5 of 170
    Trump just shot himself in the foot here. 
    brian greendavidmachcalifordeejbdragonel3v3ntylatifbpG. Ned C.buzdotsanantksundaram
  • Reply 6 of 170
    Trump calls for a boycott over this? I support his request. Effective immediately, I vow to boycott Trump. 
    califordeejbdragondavidmachbrakkenjwbl33damonfjustadcomicsMacProtoysandme
  • Reply 7 of 170
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    People should boycott the Trump Organization instead.
    califordeejbdragonmagman1979brucemcjwbl33muppetryjustadcomicsMacProiosenthusiast
  • Reply 8 of 170
    Any American who thinks Trump should be President is also a clown. You churn out a lot of them in the US. 
    Agree! We have a clown in here so far!
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 170
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Okay. Everyone in favor of user privacy and Apple boycott Trump.

It's disgusting that a presidential candidate is vowing to support an overseas Korean counterfeit company over a great homegrown American company.

Let our voices be heard!! Tweet boycott Trump in his own tweets.
    edited February 2016 davidmachlatifbpG. Ned C.damonfjustadcomicsMacProlawranceargonautiosenthusiast
  • Reply 10 of 170
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    jax44 said:
    Bozo

What a piece of c**p this guy is.
    Obama's DOJ said this earlier today, accusing Apple of only caring about profits and their image.

"Apple's current refusal to comply with the court's order, despite the technical feasibility of doing so, instead appears to be based on its concern for its business model and public brand marketing strategy," 

Obama is a bozo and a piece of c**p. Trump is not suing Apple and filing motions against them, Obama is filing motions against Apple.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 11 of 170
    "First of all Apple should give the security for that phone, okay?" Trump said. "What I think you oughta do is boycott Apple until such time as they give that security number. How do you like...I just thought of that."

The crowd responded with a rousing cheer 
    What a moron. Another example of Trump ignorantly vomiting BS and the halfwits lapping it up. He is so ignorant he doesn't understand that Apple doesn't have what he called a "security number" for that phone. It seems like he doesn't even understand what the DOJ is requesting from Apple and how it relates to everyone's personal privacy on a much larger scale. 
    justadcomicslawranceargonautiosenthusiast
  • Reply 12 of 170
    Donald Trump, who is seeking the U.S. Republican presidential nomination, on Friday said consumers should boycott Apple until the company complies with government requests to help unlock an iPhone 5c tied to last year's San Bernardino massacre.

Trump's off-the-cuff statement came during a campaign rally in South Carolina on Friday, where the outspoken businessman magnate urged constituents to stop using Apple products until the company gave in to law enforcement demands.

The crowd responded with a rousing cheer as Trump dropped more fact bombs, clarifying that the iPhone in question is in fact owned by the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, not the "young thug" that "killed all these people." He was referring to Syed Ryzwan Farook who, with the help of his wife Tashfeen Malik, killed 14 coworkers in a surprise attack last December.

Seemingly caught up in his own rhetoric, Trump forgot he himself frequently uses an iPhone to post tweets Twitter account. But he was on a roll.

"Not even his phone, we don't even have to go that far," Trump said. "But Tim Cook is looking to do a big number, probably to show how liberal he is. But Apple should give up -- they should get the security -- you'll find other people."

Trump most recently tweeted from his iPhone less than an hour prior to this article's publication. Following today's remarks, Trump in a tweet sent from Twitter's Web client admitted to using Apple's products, but claimed to also use Samsung devices, which he would switch to exclusively until Apple complies with FBI demands.

Trump later committed his Apple boycott message to the digital record in a tweet. But this time he used an Android device.

Yeah moron, please give up your iPhone!
    latifbpjustadcomicsiosenthusiast
  • Reply 13 of 170
    Tim Cook is a patriot. Donald Trump is a traitor to the American people.
    davidmachjbdragonstskcaliwilliamlondonnolamacguymagman1979baconstangbrucemcdamonf
  • Reply 14 of 170
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,293member
    apple ][ said:
    As is clearly evident from my Avatar, I'm a Trump fan, but he couldn't be more wrong about this issue, in my opinion.

And before any Obamatons come here to criticize me or my post, remember one thing: It is your Obama that is in charge and who is behind this latest attack on Apple by the Obama DOJ, so there are many people who are wrong about this encryption issue on both sides of the aisle.

For starters, I doubt that there is anything of importance at all on the phone. The two terrorists completely destroyed two other phones, and I believe there is a harddrive that is also missing. That is where any important info would have been. Not on a work iPhone that they didn't even bother to destroy.

Tim Cook should be prepared to go to jail, if it comes to that. I think that it would be great publicity for Apple on a level that we haven't seen before.
    In fairness, it has been a general desire by governmental agencies to be able to have information access pretty much whenever they demand it; I'm guessing that J, E. Hoover created the FBI with this in mind. Hoover had no truck with privacy, other than his own, and gathered, used and, bartered it to build his empire. What we see today is a continuation of that. I'm actually impressed with the PR campaign that the DOJ and FBI are doing, but in a very sad way. I'm not surprised that President Obama is firmly behind this; every President believes that he needs exceptional powers to accomplish his job, and more to the point, why take a chance?

Sucks that the DOJ is setting the standard for all the world to follow or exceed. I'm guessing that a few Scandinavian countries might hold out, and maybe Switzerland, but otherwise, the siren song of control is too strong.

quinneyjohn.bargonaut
  • Reply 15 of 170
    Just another Trumpertantrum folks, nothing to see here, if all goes well this idiot will be back in Dump Tower in a few months.
    davidmachcaliwilliamlondonbaconstangibilldamonfjohn.bfordeejustadcomicsargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 170
    apple ][ said:

Trump is Obama on steroids. Both are narcissistic bullies with delusions of godhood, one's just more subtle about it.
    cali
  • Reply 17 of 170
    Any American who thinks Trump should be President is also a clown. You churn out a lot of them in the US. 
    This isn't the first time you were disrespectful about americans. Dude, It's a Tech site.
    tallest skilpmcd
  • Reply 18 of 170
    Tim Cook should call Trump. I doubt Trump will take the call since he thinks he already knows all he needs to know. Then Cook can tell everyone how closed minded Trump is to not even give Cook a chance to plead his case.
    caliOmaha
  • Reply 19 of 170
    Trump just shot himself in the foot here. 
    He did that Saturday when he went full 9/11 truther, this is just the death throes.
  • Reply 20 of 170
    As if we needed any further proof that Trump is an idiot... And, for his idiot followers - yes, President Obama's completely wrong on this issue also. The heinous attack on civil liberties corresponding to 9/11 under Shrub Jr. and Darth Cheney was supported and expanded by the sitting president, and one of the largest lovers of surveillance and opponents of civil liberties seems to be a democratic senator from California. Neither of the two parties is, in the immortal words of Sam Rayburn, "worth a bucket of warm spit", however, the Republicans seem to have a gift for ideological inconsistency that's truly spectacular - on the one hand they rail against "big government intrusion", while trying to weaken the power of the individual against the government. (Cotton's bill to outlaw encryption leaps to mind). This is nothing but a governmental power grab and the Republicans are all for it. There is approximately ZERO likelihood there will be anything useful from an evidence standpoint to be gained from the Feeb's attack on Apple and they completely know that - it's all PR, trying to confuse the morons who've been peeing their pants continually since a handful of Saudis apparently flew a couple of planes into a couple of buildings. How did we become such a nation of pussies that any opportunity to give up our civil liberties for the illusion of "keeping us safe" is welcomed with open arms on both sides of the aisle?
    baconstangcornchipdamonf