Microsoft's 'bug chicks' praise Windows 10, diss Macs in new ad campaign

Posted:
in General Discussion
Two middle-aged women and a host of insects star in the latest ads for Microsoft's Windows 10, demonstrating some of that operating system's most prominent features while holding spiders and talking trash about the Mac.

The self-styled "bug chicks" -- who Microsoft insists are "real people" -- chat about Windows 10 features that have become helpful in the duo's insect education business. Kristie seems to represent the Mac with her outdoorsy outfit, while the more buttoned-up Jess makes up the Windows half.

The four spots variously focus on Cortana, Inking (that is, drawing on a touchscreen-enabled laptop), and Hello, Microsoft's implementation of facial recognition for authentication.

In each ad, Jess shows off a feature that Kristie then admires wistfully, admitting her Mac is incapable of such a feat. "She's so helpful, she's like an assistant!" Jess says cheerfully of Cortana's ability to find photos of treehoppers.

"Even on the new Macs they don't have that," Kristie longingly replies.

"I don't have a touchscreen on my Mac," she opines in one spot.

Kristie appears to have been less than thrilled with the Hello feature, though, repeating the line about new Macs once more.

Each ad ends with the tag "Windows 10 PCs do more. Just like you." The strategy echoes Apple's long-discontinued "I'm a Mac" ads, and comes as competitors more brazenly attack Apple thanks to the Cupertino company's continued growth in nearly every market.

Samsung has employed the direct comparison strategy for years. Microsoft is no stranger either, often going after the MacBook Air in ads for the Surface line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    Yeah, when you can't beat your competitor fair and square, lie about them; tear them down.
    Just like a school-yard bully.
    Rrreeeaaallll Grown Up, there Microsoft!
    GTRownsUjahbladeai46moreckjaker's ugly brotherargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 70
    Apple's had their (brilliant, award-winning) Mac vs. PC campaign, so fair enough. 

Reality, however:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/02/macbooks-top-consumer-reports-reliability/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/29/apple-tops-consumer-reports-satisfaction-survey-for-computer-technical-support

And for well over a decade now:

http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147&catid=&Itemid=212&i=Personal+Computers

You can do all the marketing and dress-up you want, but the product must eventually create its own dialogue on its own merits. 
    brakkenchiaGTRownsUpscooter63calimoreckjaker's ugly brotherjony0justadcomicsargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 70
    So, Windows 10 has bugs. Got it. 
    bdkennedy1002pscooter63fotoformatstudiomusicbrakkenchiaGTRownsUjohn.bfracwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 70
    I Switched last November. MS needs to actually do something about its OS problems instead of just pumping more money into advertising. Again.
    Reminds me of a 'Get a Mac' ad...
    moreckbadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 70
    That's because on a Mac we don't all have to buy a brand new computer just to get a touch screen. Apple solved that problem years ago with the TouchPad.

I don't know about you, but using my sleeve to clean my iPhone now and then is one thing, I certainly can't do THAT with my shirtsleeve if my Mac was touch screen. That's called "The BurgerKing Affect".

Have you ever seen those touch screens at BurgerKing (or any other fast food restaurant)?  Yikes!  It's a breeding ground for infection. Talk about "bugs and kids". They're would be plenty of "bugs" for those bug chicks to play with. Unfortunately they're not the cute ones rolling around on their hands. They're the bad ones you can only see with a microscope. I do not want their 21" unmovable computer screen going touchscreen anytime soon at their school where God knows if they're ever cleaned. It's bad enough what they "bring home" without sharing that bed of infection. At least with their iPad it's THEIR iPad and rarely touched by others. But I'm sure that "ad" wouldn't be as cute and fuzzy. <GRIN> 
    edited February 2016 brakkenGTRownsUiosenthusiastbaconstangmoreckjony0diplicationuraharabadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 70
    brakken said:
    I Switched last November. MS needs to actually do something about its OS problems instead of just pumping more money into advertising. Again.
    OS X is just as arthritic as Windows is at this point, if not more so. Apple needs a few more El Capitan style releases to continue to bring it up to snuff. 
  • Reply 7 of 70
    OMG. Microsoft has completely lost it.  I haven't seen something this stupid since sweaty, monkey man jumping around the stage.
    brakkencaliiosenthusiastcornchipai46baconstangmoreckuraharabadmonk
  • Reply 8 of 70
    ...does her laptop look like a mac...?
    jony0urahara
  • Reply 9 of 70
    brakken said:
    OS X is just as arthritic as Windows is at this point, if not more so. Apple needs a few more El Capitan style releases to continue to bring it up to snuff. 
    As long as it does so without...
    the 'bugs'!

Hahahahahahaa!

I mean, EIW wtf does MS think connecting bugs with their products a good thing?!?
    Those people are psycho!
    john.bcalicornchipjony0
  • Reply 10 of 70

bdkennedy said:
    OMG. Microsoft has completely lost it.  I haven't seen something this stupid since sweaty, monkey man jumping around the stage.
    Look out for the chair!!! 
    GTRownsUjohn.bcali
  • Reply 11 of 70

razormaid said:
    That's because on a Mac we don't all have to buy a brand new computer just to get a touch screen. Apple solved that problem years ago with the TouchPad.

I don't know about you, but using my sleeve to clean my iPhone now and then is one thing, I certainly can't do THAT with my shirtsleeve if my Mac was touch screen. That's called "The BurgerKing Affect".

Have you ever seen those touch screens at BurgerKing (or any other fast food restaurant)?  Yikes!  It's a breeding ground for infection. Talk about "bugs and kids". They're would be plenty of "bugs" for those bug chicks to play with. Unfortunately they're not the cute ones rolling around on their hands. They're the bad ones you can only see with a microscope. I do not want their 21" unmovable computer screen going touchscreen anytime soon at their school where God knows if they're ever cleaned. It's bad enough what they "bring home" without sharing that bed of infection. At least with their iPad it's THEIR iPad and rarely touched by others. But I'm sure that "ad" wouldn't be as cute and fuzzy. <GRIN> 
    haha - made me laugh!
    I'm quite sure with almost a year with 10 and about 4 with 8 that MS has finally figured out a smooth way to paste touch onto their mouse pointer and command line OS, ya? 

Maybe?

With any luck?

Oh fuck it! Apple's trackpads ROCK!!!
    cali
  • Reply 12 of 70
    This is funny, there was a ton of discussion on CNet about touch screens on desktops, pretty universally panned as not usable. But I guess you can still market against a bad idea. It's just a shame, I usually notice ads that dismiss a competitor, I usually think worse of the brand.
    ai46
  • Reply 13 of 70
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    brakken said:
    Can't tell you how many times I've stumbled across something odd in OSX. I trigger something by mistake, and then have to think a bit to figure out what I did. It always turns out to be a "it's not a bug, it's a feature" moment. OSX does many, many things I don't use or need, but that doesn't mean others don't. Speed and stability at this point are paramount to me. 
  • Reply 14 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Microsoft is panicking. The "leader" should rarely mention a competitor in advertising. 
    ai46liquidmark
  • Reply 15 of 70
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    When you have to spend ad dollars attacking a competitor in a field where you have over 90% of the market, something is wrong. 

pscooter63nolamacguyradarthekatcaliquadra 610cornchipai46baconstangjaker's ugly brotherjustadcomics
  • Reply 16 of 70
    Meh. It's just marketing.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    jungmark said:
    Microsoft is panicking. The "leader" should rarely mention a competitor in advertising. 
    Considering that Microsoft's mobile effort in virtually non-exist, and waiting for the next iteration, Surface Phone, to launch, I'm not sure that this is anything but reinforcing existing users not to abandon Windows, but to purchase a hybrid 2 in 1 and "magic" will sprinkle fairy dust on them.
    ai46baconstangjony0
  • Reply 18 of 70
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    rbonner said:
    This is funny, there was a ton of discussion on CNet about touch screens on desktops, pretty universally panned as not usable. But I guess you can still market against a bad idea. It's just a shame, I usually notice ads that dismiss a competitor, I usually think worse of the brand.
    Lol. Especially when that competitor has a tiny fraction of the market. 

nolamacguyai46jony0
  • Reply 19 of 70
    WOW! Really Microshaft?! Ummmm , Apple did this Mac Vs. PC thing like 15 years ago! Has microshaft even created their own hardware other than a ghetto phone, and Surface tablet. When will Micorshaft compare laptop to laptop ? Oh that's right, they don't have one except for Surface of my bawls convertible tablet. Compare desktop to desktop? Ooops, I've NEVER seen a MS desktop. EVER...... Nice try microshaft, keep riding apple's coattails!
    cali
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Meh. It's just marketing.
    That is true. Now everyone is talking about Windows 10, so I guess job well done.
    cornchip