Proposed Senate bill penalizing resistance to decryption requests nears completion, could be introd

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    jkichline said:
    Time to vote these clowns out of office!!! Of course chances are good that democracy is dead. It seems morons keep getting elected and people really are that stupid.
    Democracy is the reason they’re there. Democracy allows idiots to make the wrong decision every time.
    Democracy, boy have they got u programmed 
  • Reply 42 of 73
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    jkichline said:
    Time to vote these clowns out of office!!! Of course chances are good that democracy is dead. It seems morons keep getting elected and people really are that stupid.
    Democracy is the reason they’re there. Democracy allows idiots to make the wrong decision every time.
    I thought Gerrymandering was the the reason they are there.

• Reply 43 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    paul turner said:
    In what way, exactly?
    mattinoz said:
    I thought Gerrymandering was the the reason they are there.
    That’s part of it. I drafted up an amendment to remove the human element from congressional district redrawing, actually.

Congressional District Amendment

No longer shall Congressional districts be redrawn by sitting state representatives, nor shall they be redrawn under any circumstance other than an official change in population–as defined by the United States Census–of the corresponding districts in the respective states. Congressional districts shall henceforth be redrawn in a manner according to the mathematical Golden Ratio, where physically applicable within the bounds of state geometry.

The center of the smallest district shall be situated in the center of the most populous city in the state at time of ratification and henceforth from the time of finalization of the most recent census. Expansion outward from the first district follows the mathematical Golden Ratio accordingly. New districts formed due to a change in population shall be created by halving the size of the district in which said population has changed.

icoco3
  • Reply 44 of 73
    foggyhill said:
    bluefire1 said:
    These are the kinds of events which explain why there's so much anger in America and why Trump is so popular. Congress can't find time to balance a budget, but they can vote to penalize a private company in record time.

Trump is one of the fracking morons proposing 10 times worst! Are you even god damn serious? Do you actually read what you write.
     Another to ignore.
    I didn't read bluefire1's comments the same way you did. It says that Trump's success is a direct result public outrage, and that public outrage is fuelled by disingenuous, cynical, posturing and grandstanding (and ignorance) demonstrated by some members of Congress, such as the ones described in the article. It doesn't say whether Trump's popularity is good or bad, or whether the writer does or doesn't support Trump. That wasn't the point.

stompy
  • Reply 45 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    foggyhill said:Trump is one of the fracking morons proposing 10 times worst!
    Than?
  • Reply 46 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    dr. x said:
    cnocbui said:
    You can't force a company to do something that is actually impossible so just make it impossible and then they can just slither back under their rocks and be annoyed.
    It's not impossible. Apple said that they would have to create software in order to do this but they don't want to create the software as it would make iOS less secure for everyone.

Is it technically possible to do what the government has ordered?

Yes, it is certainly possible to create an entirely new operating system to undermine our security features as the government wants. But it’s something we believe is too dangerous to do. The only way to guarantee that such a powerful tool isn’t abused and doesn’t fall into the wrong hands is to never create it.

Taken from: http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/answers/

Maybe if I repeat myself  you will be able to comprehend the meaning of what I originally wrote:  "so just make it impossible".

Those words refer to an action in a future tense.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 47 of 73
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    msantti said:
    ibill said:
    Our government is run by morons.
    Barrack Hussein Obama.

Head MF in chage.
    Obama is a leader of the US Senate Intelligence Committee? Interesting.

• Reply 48 of 73
    postmanpostman Posts: 35member
    The U.S. Senate Select Committee on "Intelligence"? If there ever was an oxymoron, that would be it.

The anti-privacy anti-technology fanatics are relentless. Apparently hackers have more gov't lobbying influence than the rest of us. I mean the only ones who will benefit from idiotic laws like this will be the criminals, not the law enforcement agencies that are incapable of preventing crime – yet are Hell-bent on investigating and ostensibly prosecuting more of it. The irony is, they would get their wish – because laws like these will only increase identity-theft and cyber crime.

No encryption = No protection.

edited March 2016 ewtheckmanicoco3tallest skil
  • Reply 49 of 73
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    This is pretty much the very first thing I though of when reading the headline. 
    postman
  • Reply 50 of 73
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Amazing! Democrats and Republicans can agree about restricting your rights, though. 

America is done with this political puppet show. That's why Trump is a frontrunner. Just out of spite!
    cornchiptallest skiljsnow
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Time to send emails to your senators and let them know what you think.
    Already done that. I sent to 2 of my Senators from Texas. Also House of Representatives as well. They'll not get my vote if they dare to vote "yea"!
    cnocbui
  • Reply 52 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Suddenly, this story appears.

Sky News has received the names, addresses and contacts of 22,000 terror organization members who are living in Germany, UK, Canada and the US. And they didn't have to crack a single iPhone to get it.

http://news.sky.com/story/1656777/is-registration-forms-identify-22000-jihadis
    tallest skil
  • Reply 53 of 73
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Just go to show you the people in our government know they would never be able to change the laws around your personal privacy over their desire to know everything you maybe doing so they are going to create a law like this which can not be elevated to the supreme court since civil laws will not put you in jail. They will fine the hell out companies. It just another way for the government to control people and companies.

• Reply 54 of 73
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    volcan said:
    Why does this forum software only allow 100 characters in the title? In the early days, programmers used to restrict the character count to optimize speed due to limited disk space and memory, but now days there is virtually no penalty whatsoever for using the the full varchar size of 255 characters. Remember Y2K? That is what happens when you are too stingy with data field length. Hell some of the posts in this forum are thousands of characters long and they are trying to save 155 characters? Give me a break.
    If only that were the biggest problem with the new forum software…
    ewtheckmantallest skil
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Suddenly, this story appears.

Sky News has received the names, addresses and contacts of 22,000 terror organization members who are living in Germany, UK, Canada and the US. And they didn't have to crack a single iPhone to get it.

http://news.sky.com/story/1656777/is-registration-forms-identify-22000-jihadis
    Paris ISIS terrorists did not use encrypted communication. It was Playstation 4 and clear communication. It is easy to blame encryption to cover up law enforcement's ineptitude to detect and catch perpetrators.
    SpamSandwichstompy
  • Reply 56 of 73
    paul turner said:
    In what way, exactly?
    The United States is not a democracy, it's a constitutional republic. There are significant differences.
    icoco3tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Here's the official information on who is on that committee:

U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence 
  • Reply 58 of 73
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    In what way, exactly?
    The United States is not a democracy, it's a constitutional republic. There are significant differences.
    It is just they make you feel like you can make a difference by allowing you to vote...  :wink: 
  • Reply 59 of 73
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    Glad I sold all my AAPL for a bit of profit. The government has declared war on Apple and there can only be one winner in that fight. First, they'll break iOS. Next will be the Apple Car.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    nicnac said:
    Glad I sold all my AAPL for a bit of profit. The government has declared war on Apple and there can only be one winner in that fight. First, they'll break iOS. Next will be the Apple Car.
    Program the car to drive you straight to the police station, right?
    tallest skil