Rumor: Unlikely partial rear casing for 'iPhone 7' once again shown in leaked photo

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
Yet another photo supposedly smuggled out from the Chinese supply chain purports to show a portion of Apple's forthcoming "iPhone 7," this time focusing on the redesigned antenna bands along the device's rear.

The shot -- which was supposedly leaked by an employee at Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn -- seems to show the lower rear of a device that looks somewhat like a next-generation iPhone. An antenna band in the style of the iPhone 6 remains, but is offset slightly toward the edge.

A second shell is seen in the background, but there is otherwise very little visual indication of what's actually being shown. The parts bear no identifying marks of any kind.

Notably, the design of the antenna band differs from another "leak" seen only yesterday. The newer part features a wavy bend, while the previous piece shows a pronounced U-shaped bend.

It's possible that both of these parts represent legitimate prototype devices, but it's equally possible that they are dummies created for sales or attention-seeking purposes. Confusion over this issue is likely to continue until September, when Apple is predicted to officially reveal the next-generation iPhone.

To date, most of the "iPhone 7" related leaks have supported rumors that the biggest -- and most controversial --?change to the device might be the elimination of the 3.5mm headphone jack. It's been said Apple is considering removing the port to allow the device to have an all-new, thinner-than-ever design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Stop calling it unlikely. If you've followed the tradition and pattern of leaks in the past, you'd know. 

This is is the back of the iPhone 7. 
    Sir_Turkeyireland1983jony0cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 24
    lmagoolmagoo Posts: 49member
    It seems like future phones are running out of ideas for the WOW factor...we are spoiled for sure...but I gotta say I could not care less about antennae lines...lack of a traditional Headphone Jack or Thinner phone...hell I don't regard my 6S as being any different from my 6...I rarely use Force Touch...though the 6S is a little snappier than the 6. If I didn't have a annual upgrade program I'd still be on the 6 and not even caring much about the new 7 as there no compelling reasons to upgrade at the moment...
    Sir_Turkeypmz
  • Reply 3 of 24
    If parts are leaking this early, does this mean Apple bumping up the iPhone date to early summer as they have in the past?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    larryalarrya Posts: 604member
    lmagoo said:
    It seems like future phones are running out of ideas for the WOW factor...we are spoiled for sure...but I gotta say I could not care less about antennae lines...lack of a traditional Headphone Jack or Thinner phone...hell I don't regard my 6S as being any different from my 6...I rarely use Force Touch...though the 6S is a little snappier than the 6. If I didn't have a annual upgrade program I'd still be on the 6 and not even caring much about the new 7 as there no compelling reasons to upgrade at the moment...
    Agreed. With the end of subsidies on AT&T I am no longer willing to upgrade without a compelling new feature. Force Touch didn't do it for me, and loss of headphone jack is a disincentive.  I think I need to see waterproofing or vastly better low light camera performance, or some unpredictable killer feature to upgrade now. 
    lmagoo
  • Reply 5 of 24
    This shot is a lot more likely than the previous one. 
  • Reply 6 of 24
    The last phone with a real WOW factor for me was the iPhone 4. Not saying that the 5 and 6 aren't nice looking phones in their own rights, but there's just something about that design of the 4 that still sticks with me. The symmetry of the two glass panels around the aluminum band, the 30 pin connector with speaker grilles on both sides. The last truly black phone as well with chrome logo and writing on the rear. Just a beautiful design all around. Right up there with the aluminum MacBooks and iMacs.
    Sir_Turkeymr o1983jony0cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I couldn't care any less than I already do about the next iPhone. Give me a break with the poorly designed plastic bands and generic looking shell. Especially at the price tag of $1000+. Unless this thing has something to offer other than a slightly better camera gimmick and a bit more speed I'll pass... Again. 
  • Reply 8 of 24
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    larrya said:
    lmagoo said:
    Agreed. With the end of subsidies on AT&T I am no longer willing to upgrade without a compelling new feature. Force Touch didn't do it for me, and loss of headphone jack is a disincentive.  I think I need to see waterproofing or vastly better low light camera performance, or some unpredictable killer feature to upgrade now. 
    How is waterproofing a feature to make you upgrade?  The iPhone is already water resistant at reasonable levels of exposure.  I'd rather have it as it is, and not massively compromise other aspects of the design to achieve full waterproofing, as other manufacturers have. 
     How about: be somewhat responsible for the $700 phone you're carrying around. 
  • Reply 9 of 24
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I couldn't care any less than I already do about the next iPhone. Give me a break with the poorly designed plastic bands and generic looking shell. Especially at the price tag of $1000+. Unless this thing has something to offer other than a slightly better camera gimmick and a bit more speed I'll pass... Again. 
    What wouldn't be a generic looking shell? Colored plastic?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    larrya said:
    lmagoo said:
    Most 'subsidies' are simply monthly installment plans bundled with your standard phone/data service. These have been replaced by annual upgrade programs. Between that and the high resale value of iPhone (sold my 6 for $400 on eBay), I plan to continue upgrading on a annual basis for some time to come. Are you sure you were actually receiving a subsidy.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    The 6s starts at $650. Where are you paying $1000 plus dollars? Either you're exaggerating, or purchasing somewhere with falling currency or high import tax. 
    Sir_Turkey
  • Reply 12 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This looks real. No headphone port confirmed.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    levi said:
    The 6s starts at $650. Where are you paying $1000 plus dollars? Either you're exaggerating, or purchasing somewhere with falling currency or high import tax. 
    He was not exaggerating - Bought in USA last Sept online thru Apple App - I have the 6S plus / Apple Care - 64GB / AT&T - contract free  - would have paid more for monthly payments - $849 + Apple Care & tax - that's in the area of what i paid.

• Reply 14 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lmagoo said:
    it's not expected for you to upgrade annually. normal people don't do this (Apples new leasing plan aside). just like they don't upgrade audio receivers annually. incremental, iterative improvements is the name of the game for Apple -- the end result is my 6s is crazily better than my 3G. 
  • Reply 15 of 24

welcome, hater/troll! please find your FUD packets under your seat. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 24

sog35 said:
    The last phone with a real WOW factor for me was the iPhone 4. Not saying that the 5 and 6 aren't nice looking phones in their own rights, but there's just something about that design of the 4 that still sticks with me. The symmetry of the two glass panels around the aluminum band, the 30 pin connector with speaker grilles on both sides. The last truly black phone as well with chrome logo and writing on the rear. Just a beautiful design all around. Right up there with the aluminum MacBooks and iMacs.
    Glass backed phone. Totally unpractical no matter how nice it looks
    non-issue in real life. the glass layer was very thin, we never broke ours. but if you did it took 2 seconds to replace yourself.
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 24
    levi said:
    Well if one desires the "flagship" model with normal storage capacity it comes in around there. That was a ballpark figure when  considering taxes and so on. Yes, yes accurate enough. 
  • Reply 18 of 24

welcome, hater/troll! please find your FUD packets under your seat. 
    Thanks !! Really liking this place to share my opinion. 
  • Reply 19 of 24

sog35 said:

You are not Apple's target customer. Go buy your $99 Android POS and enjoy it.  Let the rest of us enjoy our new iPhone7 in all its glory.  some people just don't deserve the nicer things in life. o.k.
    Am too apples target customer !! Unless... They started making dummy devices for people that prefer logos to actual functionality or purpose. Unless they dropped the ball on artistic impressions and build quality to satisfy mindless must-have-its. Hey... Something just happens here. 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    pmz said:
    Stop calling it unlikely. If you've followed the tradition and pattern of leaks in the past, you'd know. 

This is is the back of the iPhone 7. 

You don't say? 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/17/meizu-vp-debunks-recent-iphone-7-leak-as-firms-upcoming-pro-6-posts-photos-to-prove-it