Apple refuses to back GOP convention because of Trump politics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 278
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

weathers said:
    I'm not a Trump fan and I am an Apple product user, but I find it ironic that Apple (Tim Cook) doesn't seem to mind selling their products in countries who degrade women and persecute  gays and lesbians. The hypocrisy of either party is getting to ridiculous levels.

A lot of hypocrisy. Cook mentions his strong stands of some real and some perceived Human Rights violations

Yet, relies heavily on a country that is ALL ABOUT Human Rights violations.

I don't align with Cooks values at all. Nor his need to stick Apple at the forefront of HIS values. Jobs had values that sometimes differed. But he had the wisdom to stay neutral.

Now India... caste system and all.
    Apple's so-called values are complete crap and hypocritical BS.

If Apple had any balls or real principles, they would immediately quit doing business in those types of countries.

I'm a stock holder, but I don't give a crap, pull out of those countries, and make a couple of dollars less in revenue. AAPL is doing pretty crappy at the moment anyway, so it'll make no difference at all.

edited June 2016 redraider11cully
  • Reply 22 of 278
    ronwp54ronwp54 Posts: 8member
    The more Tim Cook keeps dragging Apple into political issues the more business Apple is going to lose. It's not his job to impose his politics on Apple, his job is to sell Apple products, something he hasn't been doing very well lately. There are probably just as many Republicans/Conservatives/Christians using Apple products as any other group, keep pissing them off with your Left Wing politics and you'll continue to see sales fall.
    tallest skilapple ][cully
  • Reply 23 of 278
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    pdbreske said:
    I'm not backing either of the two major parties (and haven't for years), but this probably isn't a smart business move for Apple. Suppose Trump wins. What does Tim Cook think Trump will do when he has the power of the White House behind him? Not good.

Also, I find it interesting that Apple presumably plans to still support the Democrats, noting Hillary's backing of the Iraq war and opposition to gay marriage (she only supports gay "unions"). Plus every other thing wrong with her.

Why take sides at all? What's the end game? It's this kind of political garbage that makes people jump ship and stop buying products they've used for years.
    From how I read the article this is not so much a party political choice as a statement against Trump's views on minorities, women, and immigrants. I think most would agree that Trump hardly represents current republican values. The fact that republicans now rally behind him is a reflection of a party lost and desperate. I am no supporter of republican style politics, but I don't argue against republican values by pointing at Trump. I don't know anybody that does. Apple is reacting against blatant bigoted views. Apple is being true to itself on an issue where it has repeatedly stated its position. Republican or Democrat, it makes no difference.
    jfc1138larryafracjroykibitzerbb-15baconstangzimmermannai46lostkiwi
  • Reply 24 of 278
    ronwp54 said:
    There are probably just as many Republicans/Conservatives/Christians using Apple products as any other group, keep pissing them off with your Left Wing politics and you'll continue to see sales fall.
    I love Apple's products, and I'm one of the biggest fans around, and me using anything else is pretty much inconceivable, but if Apple keeps towing the line of political partisanship and extremism, then I would definitely have to reconsider my options in the future.

redraider11cully
  • Reply 25 of 278
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Trump has MAJOR issues.

But SO does Clinton... Arguably worse in many areas. I read Clinton Cash (well reviewed in the left & right press) and it is horrifying. There's lots of smart members on this board. Read the book or google some of the articles about it.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a good idea for Apple to take sides.
    GREAT post. Where are the Apple boycott on Clinton the lying, murderous war criminal. IT is a choice between the lesser of two evils. And from what I have seen, Trump is a demon, but Clinton is Satan himself. 

Seems Apple is forgetting that America is a place of freedom - speech, religion, choice, etc. 

I like Apple, but censorship is wrong. And that's all this is.
    Refusing to give a political party charity isn't remotely "censorship". Please. 
    jroydavenericthehalfbeebb-15macky the mackybaconstangRosynaai46lostkiwispliff monkey
  • Reply 26 of 278
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    weathers said:
    I'm not a Trump fan and I am an Apple product user, but I find it ironic that Apple (Tim Cook) doesn't seem to mind selling their products in countries who degrade women and persecute  gays and lesbians. The hypocrisy of either party is getting to ridiculous levels.

There's no mention of Apple not selling stuff to the Party of Trump, just not giving them free stuff. 
    edited June 2016 jroydavenericthehalfbeebb-15macky the mackybaconstangRosynaai46lostkiwispliff monkey
  • Reply 27 of 278
    apple ][ said:

I love Apple's products, and I'm one of the biggest fans around, and me using anything else is pretty much inconceivable, but if Apple keeps towing the line of political partisanship and extremism, then I would definitely have to reconsider my options in the future.

Opposing Donald Trump is not being extremist.  Trump is the only thoroughly indecent, unqualified person to be nominated for the presidency in our lifetimes.  I think it's safe to assume the Board of Directors supported Tim Cook in this decision.
    jlanddjroydavenbb-15macky the mackybaconstangRosynaai46lostkiwispliff monkey
  • Reply 28 of 278
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ronwp54 said:
    The more Tim Cook keeps dragging Apple into political issues the more business Apple is going to lose.
    So by not supporting the Republican Party Tim is dragging Apple into politics? Very good.
    jfc1138jroymacky the mackybaconstangkevin keesuddenly newton
  • Reply 29 of 278
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    The blackmail that both national party committees exert on leading US companies to fund the ever-increasing cost of electing a leader is exactly the reason why you often get candidates for national and local office that are very obviously narcissist or corrupt or stupid -- or, in the case of Trump, all three at once. I'd be very happy if the US adopted some of the Canadian regulations regarding elections: the entire election from start to finish takes less than three months, there is more public funding of elections; there is none of this "registering to vote months before you vote" nonsense; and election ads (while they can attack the other candidate) must not contain any demonstrably false statements. It's not perfect, but it not only fosters the creation of other parties, it's just a hell of a lot better system than what the US one has devolved into.
    jfc1138jroybb-15baconstangai46lostkiwizoetmb
  • Reply 30 of 278
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    weathers said:

That's because you either don't understand what "irony" means, or else what "hypocrisy" means. Not sure which.
    larryafracjroyericthehalfbeebb-15macky the mackybaconstangRosynaspliff monkeyargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 278
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    razormaid said:
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    agree. If you give to one you give to both because the people purchasing you're product is from both parties too. Either give to both or give to none

many an actor and recording artist have watched their sales literally drop in half over night when they decide to voice their opinion which none of us asked for. 

And for those of you who say "say have the right to voice their feelings like anyone else..."   Blah blah. Well "everyone else" is not asking for you to buy the music or see their movies now are they?

just sayin'. When madonna Started being political she was boo'd off stage. When Skec Baldwin (and friends) came screaming out on their views, they stopped getting good parts, unless George Clooney made the movie <lol> 

im his saying come September maybe I'll try Simone else's product rather than hand over money. If it's good enough for Apple to do "pick and choose"... there's a lot of new players coming to the market. 

But this isn't just Apple picking sides because of Tim Cook's politics.  As someone already mentioned, Trump is already advocating Apple boycotts, opposing Apple and the rest of us on privacy, and promising to force Apple to move its manufacturing.  Apple may actually see a Trump presidency as an existential threat.  Regardless of how you view Hillary or whether you're a Trump supporter, it silly to assume this isn't part of their calculus.
    jroykibitzerbb-15baconstanglostkiwi
  • Reply 32 of 278
    Personally, I love the fact that so many Trump trolls use products made by such a left leaning Northern California company.
    (and then they call Apple "hypocritical") LOL
    montrosemacsjroydavenericthehalfbeekibitzerbb-15macky the mackybaconstangRosynalostkiwi
  • Reply 33 of 278

apple ][ said:
    Haha, how pathetic and how hypocritical and how predictable.

Apple leading the effort to ban gun emojis, while at the same time funding a Dr Dre series, which reportedly has no shortage of violence and sex. So an emoji is bad, but a series with sex and violence is ok, got it.

Apple coming out strongly against bathroom laws in North Carolina, while at the same time doing business in many countries that executes gays, lol. 

Does Apple support illegal immigration and criminals? Yep, it sure looks like it.

Apple is becoming more and more anti-American, I'm sorry to say.

Apple was never this political under Steve Jobs. I'm not the first to say this, but I miss Steve Jobs being in charge of Apple.

Yep. A lot more sex and drugs under Jobs.
    What made America great!
    cornchipargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 278
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    paxman said:
    I think most would agree that Trump hardly represents current republican values.
    Because they no longer have any.
    The fact that republicans now rally behind him is a reflection of a party lost and desperate.
    “Hey, we keep losing support. Why’s that?”
    “Could it be because we keep moving ideologically left despite the vast majority of the population not wanting anything remotely close to that?”
    “Nah, keep ignoring the country’s laws. That’ll be the way we turn it around!”
    ...bigot...
    The best way to show that you have no argument is to use this word.
    bobschlob said:
    Personally, I love the fact that so many Trump trolls use products made by such a left leaning Northern California company.
    What the hell is that supposed to mean about anything? I’d only stop using Apple products if they started pushing a transhumanist future.
    edited June 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 35 of 278
    apple ][ said:

Opposing Donald Trump is not being extremist.  Trump is the only thoroughly indecent, unqualified person to be nominated for the presidency in our lifetimes.  I think it's safe to assume the Board of Directors supported Tim Cook in this decision.
    Who cares about the board of directors? They're probably all left wing fanatical extremists and ecological fraudsters like Al Gore.

And speaking of unqualified, the current POTUS holds that title, and he'll go down in future history books as a tiny footnote, as one of the worst leaders and appeasers ever.

If Apple is forcing me to choose between them and my country, (the USA), then the choice is simple and obvious, no matter how much I like their products.
    lord amhrancully
  • Reply 36 of 278
    I just wanna know if that's the donald who has been creating all these brand new AI accounts in order to post their whining and pouting here?
    irelandjroyericthehalfbeebb-15baconstangsingularityjackansi
  • Reply 37 of 278
    I love Apple products. 13 products in service in our small home. But I'm getting a bit worn out with how serious they take themselves. They used to Think Different. Now the think smugly. 
    entropystrumptmancully
  • Reply 38 of 278
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    jungmark said:
    I don't think Apple should pick sides no matter how disastrous a Trump presidency would be. 
    Apple doesn't usually pick sides. However, the GOP nominee has specifically targeted Apple in  his campaigning. Why would Apple support that? 

Further, generally speaking Appke giving product to both parties makes sense from a marketing perspective as both conventions are watched. Low cost product placement. However, besides Trump targeting Apple, he is controversial. Wouldn't want my product associated with him nor would I want to reward him for bashing my company.
    cornchipjroybb-15baconstangRosynaargonaut
  • Reply 39 of 278
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Leaving aside why an international corporation should be giving any political party Free Stuff, why would the GOP want the obsolete Mac laptops and Mac pros peddled by Apple at premium prices?

This wouldn't have happened when Jobs was in charge, because he didn't regard it his role.  Cook is too busy being SJW instead of producing up to date products worth buying. 
    jackansi
  • Reply 40 of 278
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    Trump has MAJOR issues.

But SO does Clinton... Arguably worse in many areas. I read Clinton Cash (well reviewed in the left & right press) and it is horrifying. There's lots of smart members on this board. Read the book or google some of the articles about it.

Bottom line: I don't think it's a good idea for Apple to take sides.
    How is it taking sides? Apple usually gives both parties product. It is good for marketing. Out of the two parties, only Trump bashed Apple publicaly, and having Apple's logo appear next to Trumps is likely to controversial. Women, minorities, gay people, and foreigners but its products.

Even some Republicans don't want to appear by Trump.
    jroydavenbb-15baconstangRosynaai46spliff monkeylolliver