How the UK's Brexit vote to leave Europe affects Apple

Comments

• Reply 121 of 314
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The nations currently in existence are merely inherited constructs. 
    So would globalist bullshit be after the first generation, meaning we should tear it down "because it's old."
    Let's begin from Sagan's Pale Blue Dot perspective and drill down from there, shall we? 
    No, I'm not going to begin from the standpoint of delusional nonsense that disregards genetics and millennia of historical fact. I'm going to begin from the standpoint of genetics and human psychology and build a society predicated on the preservation of diversity, security of the in-group, and promotion of reproduction and healthy social behaviors to facilitate the growth thereof.

Oh, look. The nation state already fulfills that.
    edited June 2016 apple ][
  • Reply 122 of 314
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    If you want to understand the future of the global economy, study ecology.  As humanity lurches closer to the planet's carrying capacity at an ever higher standard of living, the physics of ecology will begin to manifest within the global economy.
    - RadarTheKat
    baconstangAnilatifbp
  • Reply 123 of 314
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    EUROPEAN said:
    No, it’s completely and utterly different. The United States is an entity with a singular culture, singular language, and singular history. 
    Wuahahaha, singular. Ahhh, from Italy, from Ireland, from England, from Germany, from France. OK, singular. Wuahaha. Sorry, your roots are from Europe my friend. YES, Singular EUROPE. Your are right. Europe, not Germany, not Italy, not france. EUROPE! Right. That is your root. It comes from US in the EU.
    There is a distinct American culture, and of course we (mostly) share a language. Maybe eventually the EU will become the United States of Europe, but that's not what it started out as, and I don't blame any country who wants to jump off before it gets to that point, particularly since the EU lacks democratic accountability. It is too far removed from the people. The European Parliament is mostly powerless, and the Commission and Council are not directly accountable to the people.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 124 of 314
    If you want to understand the future of the global economy, study ecology.  As humanity lurches closer to the planet's carrying capacity at an ever higher standard of living, the physics of ecology will begin to manifest within the global economy.
    - RadarTheKat
    So we'll see if asteroids have phosphorus to mine. If even one does, that's enough for the entire planet for a century or more.
  • Reply 125 of 314

mobius said:

You don't know that. The evidence so far suggests otherwise.
    What evidence?

The bottom line is that the Brexit vote was a REFERENDUM, i.e. a giant non-binding national poll.  To actually exit the EU Parliament must enact legislation that triggers Article 50 of the EU Constitution.  As presently constituted Britain's Parliament is not so inclined.  Even then it will take about 2 years to unwind Britain's membership agreements.

This was an emotional response to outright lies and distortions of a few, lies and distortions that are now coming to light.
    The lies were on both sides. Cameron and Osborne were engaged in a Project Fear campaign. Jeremy Corbyn falsely promised that the UK could reform the EU from within. Jean-Claude Juncker nixed that idea. The EU has a tendency of ignoring the will of the people (witness how they made Ireland re-vote after they rejected the Nice treaty, and France and the Netherlands re-vote after they rejected the EU Constitution. 

Jean-Claude Juncker compared Brexit to an unamicable divorce. I prefer to think of it like divorcing an abusive spouse (I.e. painful, but necessary). Juncker's comments about how he wants to stick it to the UK and freeze them completely out of the common market just confirm that. He's a vindictive person and it's best that the UK leave when they have the chance. 
  • Reply 126 of 314
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    - RadarTheKat
    So we'll see if asteroids have phosphorus to mine. If even one does, that's enough for the entire planet for a century or more.
    What?  Phosphorus?  Stay relevant please.  
    edited June 2016 baconstangAnisingularity
  • Reply 127 of 314

command_f said:
    My nation has decided to leave an imperfect but beneficial organisation on the basis of some (obviously) fake numbers and some dubious arguments around immigration. Europe is diverse (like the US) but the EU has boosted the UK's economy. Rather than engage to improve the imperfect bits, we have walked away. The only certainty is that all of us in the UK will be poorer for it, both financially and culturally.

I am appalled,
    But the problem is the EU has shown over and over again that they won't change. They are intent on imposing their will and imposing ever more layers of bureaucracy. Look at how difficult it has been for the UK to reach trade accords with Canada and Australia. If the EU were still just the Common Market/EEC no one would have even thought about leaving. But it has morphed into a lot more than that. Lucky for the UK at least you never adopted the euro and got opt-outs from some of the more harmful of the EU regulations. Cameron tried to get some more concessions but didn't succeed. 

My guess is that in 10 years time people will be happy that the UK left the EU. There will be another crisis (perhaps involving Italy, or even a bigger economy like France) that makes the Greek crisis pale by comparison, and you'll be thankful that it's Germany's problem and not yours. 
  • Reply 128 of 314
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    ....the pettiness of our current condition.

- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Globalists are traitors to every nation.
    – Tallest Skil, a few seconds ago

-------------

Perhaps it's appropriate to be a traitor to all nations.  The nations currently in existence are merely inherited constructs.  Should we, as thinking beings, constrain ourselves by the status quo?  Be careful answering that question, as an affirmative would imply you favored UK to remain with the EU, which was Thursday's status quo, after all.  But if we are to rethink things, perhaps we should rethink the whole thing.  I'm confident that would lead to some revealing insights.  Let's begin from Sagan's Pale Blue Dot perspective and drill down from there, shall we?  Just to ensure we remain above the pettiness and biases that have so thoroughly infested our thinking.
    Don't push your enthusiasm to that extent. Nations actually are the anti-thesis of empires. It took a long painful and bloody way to build nations, they are not the gift of the god nor inherited constructs. Destroy the nations, empires will rise again. Is that what you want? Nations are the building blocks of modern age human civilization.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 129 of 314
    crowley said:
    And it’s not relevant... how?
  • Reply 130 of 314
    crowley said:
    And it’s not relevant... how?
    To the UK exiting the European Union?  Do I really need to point that out?

Tell you what, I'll do that when you acknowledge your earlier misleading infographic about the petition.
    baconstangAnicnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 131 of 314
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    - RadarTheKat
    Ecology laws do not apply to the human civilization. Humans are not insects, they are capable of reshaping their planet's ecology.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 132 of 314
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    - RadarTheKat
    But what about the dilithium crystals???
    Anidsdsingularity
  • Reply 133 of 314
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'd also like to thank our arrogant, community organizer in charge for opening his big mouth and coming with veiled threats to the English people, about them ending up at the "back of the queue". 

That statement alone gave a serious boost to the leave movement, and it outraged countless UK people. Almost everything that he touches basically turns to garbage and ends up being a complete disaster. Thank goodness for that!

Under Trump, the newly improved UK and the USA will get along fantastic! Good times ahead folks! Happy days are soon here again! :#

edited June 2016 kpomtallest skiltoddzrx
  • Reply 134 of 314
    apple ][ said:
    I'd also like to thank our arrogant, community organizer in charge for opening his big mouth and coming with veiled threats to the English people, about them ending up at the "back of the queue". 

That statement alone gave a serious boost to the leave movement, and it outraged countless UK people. Almost everything that he touches basically turns to garbage and ends up being a complete disaster. Thank goodness for that!

Under Trump, the newly improved UK and the USA will get along fantastic! Good times ahead folks! Happy days are soon here again! :#

Yep. Gotta figure that backfired. People don't like being lectured to. Perhaps he thought he was doing Cameron a favor, but the better response would have been that he respects the UK people, and has valued their friendship and stature within the UK to advance our common interests. It makes a similar point, but in a way that is positive rather than negative.
    apple ][
  • Reply 135 of 314
    kpom said:
    Gotta figure that backfired.

apple ][
  • Reply 136 of 314
    apple ][ said:

Since this mural appeared as an unofficial part of the Remain campaign, you may be right.

Of course, Trump won't get in.  Although stupider things have happened.  This week in fact.
    baconstangAni
  • Reply 137 of 314
    Of course, I meant "valued their friendship and stature within the EU to advance our common interests."
  • Reply 138 of 314
    kpom said:
    apple ][ said:

Yep. Gotta figure that backfired. People don't like being lectured to.
    Certainly not this audience.

A leave campaign where "people have had enough of experts" was actually a thing that was said.

Idiocracy is here.
    dsdbaconstangpropodAniboopthesnoot
  • Reply 139 of 314
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    crowley said:
    kpom said:
    Yep. Gotta figure that backfired. People don't like being lectured to.

A leave campaign where "people have had enough of experts" was actually a thing that was said.

Idiocracy is here.
    The people were not fooled by the lies and nonstop deception pushed by the establishment and certain crooked media anymore.

Their experts are about as reliable and accurate as statements made by Joseph Goebbels. It didn't matter how many celebrities or others came out in favor of remaining. Their game was up. The globalists and the elite lost. An awesome victory for the common man and all real British people!
  • Reply 140 of 314
    apple ][ said:
    crowley said:

Idiocracy is here.
    The people were not fooled by the lies and nonstop deception pushed by the establishment and certain crooked media anymore.

Their experts are about as reliable and accurate as statements made by Joseph Goebbels. It didn't matter how many celebrities or others came out in favor of remaining. Their game was up. The globalists and the elite lost. An awesome victory for the common man and all real British people!
    What rubbish.  Both sides said questionable things, but the Remain side at least tried to field some economic analysis.  The Leave side still have no plan whatsoever and spouted nonsense guesses and baseless speculations.

This was their official campaign bus, and this promise already looks like its being tossed aside by your man Farage.

Did you actually hear any of the claims from either side that the British public were exposed to?  I doubt it.
    edited June 2016 dsdbaconstangpropodAniboopthesnootmobius