Users upset by Evernote price hikes & two-device limit for free Basic customers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Changes to Evernote's note-taking service raised a storm of controversy on Twitter on Wednesday, as the company is trying to shift users away from the free Basic tier while generating more revenue from paid subscribers.

In "coming weeks," Evernote will start limiting Basic accounts to two devices, the company said in an email notification to customers. People already over this limit will have a 30-day window to adjust, but will otherwise have to upgrade to a Plus or Premium account to continue with unlimited device support.

The price of a Plus subscription is being hiked from $2.99 per month to $3.99 per month, although annually the cost is cheaper at $34.99. Premium is seeing a stepper increase, from $4.99 to $7.99 per month -- a 12-month version of the plan is $69.99.

In a blog post, Evernote CEO Chris O'Neil linked the changes to a "significant investment of energy, time, and money" needed to continue developing and expanding Evernote's features.

Public response has so far been highly negative, with some people threatening to switch to other apps, like Apple's Notes built into iOS and macOS. Evernote works on Windows and Android devices as well however, and exporting large collections of notes can be cumbersome.
par4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I think it's important to remember that Evernote does not run ads or sell data. So they only make money from paying users. It makes sense to limit the free tier to a "try before you buy" offering. 50MB a month and usable on two devices is sufficient to tell you if you like the product enough to buy into it. If they can't convert you, it's a better business decision to let you. Holding on to a "customer" who isn't paying, but is costing the company money, isn't really great business.

What do they have to lose, except potential referrals? And what are the odds that a free user is referring lots of PAID new customers?

The 40% increase to the Premium plan is a bigger potential mistake. There are, at least from the Evernote forums, lots of Pro users like myself who are seriously considering that a 40% increase is waaaay too much, given how slow the service has been to evolve and fix things that matter to us.

Ultimately, the potential loss of a bunch of Pro level subscribers is far more a danger to their business than the loss of a horde of free users that were only costing them money anyway.

My Pro ends in December. If there isn't some sign by then of a renewed vigor from Evernote to fix the things we've been complaining about for years, in exchange for the price hike...I'm out.
    chiacornchipuraharajony0
  • Reply 2 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    $70 a year is a lot for a one trick pony considering that Office 365 can be had for just a bit more.  I was an EN premium sub for 4 or 5 years but honestly I never really embraced it like I should have and quite honestly they strayed from their core business of making note-taking powerful and in sync. 

With the current price of premium I would expect a lot from EN 7 before returning.   The fact that EN doesn't handle Markdown is a travesty ( I know Alternote handles it because I own it).  It was only recently that you could add code samples without the formatting screwing it up.  

Their no longer the big boys on the block.   Writing apps like Ulysses, Byword, AI Writer and more all have sync features via iCloud or something else and all are capable of managing notes effectively.  

I await the next major version of EN with baited breath.  I think they have to knock it out of the park or as current member subs expire they'll move off the platform 
  • Reply 3 of 31
    My wife and I will be switching to using collaborative Notes in iOS 10 as long as it works well. Bye bye Evernote...
    scampercomcornchipwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Users are greedy.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    par4par4 Posts: 6member
    I think it is important to remember that Apple is trying to facilitate the subscription model for its apps.   Even though Apple will be reducing its "take" Evernote has increased prices.   Since they are trying to free up space on their servers, I have assisted them by deactivating my account.   As notes/reminders/calendar/dropbox or iCloud Drive get better, the need for this service is greatly diminished.  If you want to buy something that is not in the subscription model, I would highly recommend looking into OmniFocus.   You buy it, you use it (dear Omni, please don't muck it up with a subscription model!!!!)
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Just deleted it from my devices. There are free alternatives.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 31
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    par4 said:
    I think it is important to remember that Apple is trying to facilitate the subscription model for its apps.   Even though Apple will be reducing its "take" Evernote has increased prices.   Since they are trying to free up space on their servers, I have assisted them by deactivating my account.   As notes/reminders/calendar/dropbox or iCloud Drive get better, the need for this service is greatly diminished.  If you want to buy something that is not in the subscription model, I would highly recommend looking into OmniFocus.   You buy it, you use it (dear Omni, please don't muck it up with a subscription model!!!!)
    I think it's important to remember that you are an Evernotes shill.  

Some people seem naturally inclined to install whatever redundant 3rd party crap they can.  I prefer to keep it clean and simple, make better use of default apps, and less time worrying when this kind of garbage inevitably happens. 

Sounds like Evernote needs more cash, maybe developing a better type of app would have been a better investment.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Subrandom makes an excellent point about Evernote's lack of other revenue streams, but this just points out the unsustainability of the subscription model for most businesses, particularly software. I'm a Free user whose extremely light requirements don't even merit any change, but if I was a subscriber I'm not sure this would push me out the door (except maybe at the Premium tier), since the annual subscription for Pro is still reasonable. Apple's Notes really does much of this job and is included, so Mac users have an easy out. I have absolutely no objection to paying for software I find valuable (even on subscription -- I'm a Photoshop user and Apple Music listener, and routinely buy Mac programs, especially when they're on sale), but these kinds of moves really just make the people who would normally be the most loyal since they are the most invested take another hard look at whether the app/service is "pulling its weight" viz the price -- probably not something you really want your users doing on a regular basis, software devs ... just sayin' ...
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Did Evernote pro for years, been trying Office365 with OneNote - but by now, both Evernote and OneNote feel ridiculously "heavy" for the simple tasks I want them to do (especially OneNote - good lord!). Switched it all to Apple Notes, works really really well.
    iphonenickscampercomwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 31
    So much for Phil Libin's "100 Year Company". What a dolt!! I give Evernote two years before they are toast. 
    NoteSuite had was an Mac and iOS app that had great promise but they were acquired. Too bad, but there 
    are other apps existing and to come that will best Evernote. 
    nolamacguyradiospace
  • Reply 11 of 31
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    I thought Apple placed a requirement that apps could be used on 5 devices for apps in the app store.  Would this not be in conflict with that policy IIRC?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    $34.99/year is simply too expensive for what I use it for. Bye bye Evernote.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 31
    par4par4 Posts: 6member
    redefiler said:
    par4 said:
    I think it's important to remember that you are an Evernotes shill.  

Some people seem naturally inclined to install whatever redundant 3rd party crap they can.  I prefer to keep it clean and simple, make better use of default apps, and less time worrying when this kind of garbage inevitably happens. 

Sounds like Evernote needs more cash, maybe developing a better type of app would have been a better investment.
    Interesting reaction after I plainly stated that I closed my account with them.  I use the other product which is far better anyway.   As for "properly using" Apple's products, just wait until those disappear like so many others before them.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    despite what the dev blog community believes, i dont think subscriptions are a magic solution to all their problems. theyre fine for some apps, but theres simply no way im going to shell out a bunch of money to all my various apps every year. i simply dont need the equivalent of annual upgrades of everything. thats the fallacy of the subscription model -- youre basically buying a new version every year. not needed. i often go many years with an older version of photoshop or whatever.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 31
    zer0her0zer0her0 Posts: 24member
    ireland said:
    Users are greedy.
    How is being upset that they're taking something away being greedy? it would be one thing if they were demanding more, but EN had said multiple times they were happy with the free users and their current business model was working just fine at the price points they were offering it at. If anything I'm surprised they're pushing the price up so much as they've seemed to have gotten smaller and cut a lot of fluff from the company and products being offered with no descernable "new" investment/work. If anything I think it shows EN as being greedy.

So much for Phil Libin's "100 Year Company". What a dolt!! I give Evernote two years before they are toast. 
    NoteSuite had was an Mac and iOS app that had great promise but they were acquired. Too bad, but there 
    are other apps existing and to come that will best Evernote. 
    It should be noted Phil Libin left the company in 2015, I believe Chris O'Neil is the new CEO and has promised GREAT THINGS. Though all I've seen him do is cut staff and products and now charge more w/o actually improving the core product.

I'm really quite bummed about this I've been an EN user since early 2008, free member for a couple years, then went premium in 2010 and really liked the app(s), but the lack of new features that are useful to me and the app getting more and more sluggish (though the last few updates have brought it back from unusable state), and now this, really need to find a replacement (or set of apps that replace this). I use it to store & search PDFs (journal articles, manuals, so on), keep scans of sketches and hand written notes, and typed notes. I feel I can switch typed notes to Apple Notes w/o any issue (already been slowly doing this), but the first two I still don't have a good solution that works on iOS and OS X seamlessly.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 31
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    despite what the dev blog community believes, i dont think subscriptions are a magic solution to all their problems. theyre fine for some apps, but theres simply no way im going to shell out a bunch of money to all my various apps every year. i simply dont need the equivalent of annual upgrades of everything. thats the fallacy of the subscription model -- youre basically buying a new version every year. not needed. i often go many years with an older version of photoshop or whatever.
    Good point; Apple with free macOS, iOS, tvOS release, etc on one hand has me liking (and now used to) annual refreshes of software, with new features.

On the other hand, for just about everyone else, who doesnt make their money of (their commodity) hardware, they have to charge for the (sometimes) annual (more frequently, regular) updates of software that some people (myself) are getting used to, but were so fine without for the longest time.

e.g. To your point, I know lots of people on Office 2007, 2010 still. I have an Office 365 subscription, primarily for Small Business E-Mail (exchange), but do also use the MS Office Suite of Desktop Applications.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I started to test Notes as a replacement for EN and it worked well.
    I had been meaning to delete my EN account for the past several weeks and I laughed when greeted by their announcement upon logging in to do so. Funny coincidence. 
    lenbtwwilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well I gave up on Evernote a long time ago.   That was more to do with the terrible interface and easier ways to achieve the same thing.   Gone too are other web based services that frankly don't make any sense, especially the save yo the could mentality that hit us a couple of years ago!

i mean really how did people ever think this would be cost effective without giving up something.   It is pretty clear you give up security and reliability.  Perhaps more importantly you end up being tracked endlessly.  

Now I realize that Evernote wants to avoid the world of advertising and customer tracking, the problem is how do you develop such a business and keep costs within what people are willing to pay.   I don't think you can especially with all the other avenues people have.   The whole cloud thing never seemed well thought out to me.    Even Apple after what seems like dozens of attempts doesn't have a good general purpose solution.  

Oh oh as for the software subscription folks, for the most part they can rot in hell!   There are very very few programs that I use that can justify a subscription.   You would almost need Magazine like content to justify the expense to me.   The big maybe are apps targeted at professionals but that is a whole different ball game.  
  • Reply 19 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    In my business, I actually work hard to *lower* prices for my customers, and quite often pass along increasing discounts the longer they remain a customer. May not be padding my bank account much, but I think it's a responsible move. I want to own the kind of business that I want to do business with myself. Prices matter.
    lenbtw
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Users are greedy if they use a free service forever and take offense to restrictions when the company can't afford to keep up. I guess if you really value something you should be ok to budget it in.

The buy once model worked great for a single app that does something on your device. Sadly, people drove down acceptable app prices so low that it's hard to make a living by trying to make a great, focused app and keep it updated.

Subscriptions should be acceptable to for services that rely on the cloud and syncing. Seems to me that advertising as a suitable revenue stream is dying? Advertisements turn people off anyway.

This is why I as a developer, starting development of a new product/service, don't even want to bother offering a free tier. It's really hard to switch people from free to paid. And all the time trying you're draining down your bank accounts and then eventually the paying customers get the price hike and if they can't swallow the change you're screwed. Developing software isn't cheap and it isn't easy.
    cornchip