'Super Mario Run' for iPhone reaps 40 million downloads amidst fears from investors

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Reviews of "Super Mario Run" are apparently causing turmoil with Nintendo stockholders, with the stock seeing about a 10 percent drop since release, despite the company releasing a statement praising the game's performance in less than a week of release.

Stock impact

On close of business on Dec. 14, Nintendo stock ended at 27,975 yen per share. At the end of the trading day on Dec. 20, the share price had fallen to 24,815 yen per share, with the Nintendo press release trumpeting the 40 million download figure not buoying the share price appreciably on Wednesday.
"Pricing was designed to reassure parents that they would be charged just once, not multiple times." - Nintendo, on "Super Mario Run" unlock.
The high for the company's stock on the year was on July 19 in the height of the "Pok?mon Go" craze, with the stock hitting 31,770 yen per share. Days afterward, the stock lost half of its short-term gains after Nintendo reminded investors about the revenue sharing required for Pok?mon Go.

The stock price drop has eradicated nearly all of the gains the stock has made since the low-key reveal of the company's forthcoming console, the Nintendo Switch.

App Store performance

As of Wednesday morning, "Super Mario Run" is sitting on top of Apple's Top Free Apps, and Top Grossing Apps leaderboards. "Pok?mon Go" remains in the top 10 and is sitting in eighth place.

The two titles, "Super Mario Run" and "Pok?mon Go," have different revenue models. "Super Mario Run" is entirely Nintendo's property and has a one-time $9.99 purchase which unlocks the game world, and gives the purchaser a minor boost in in-game currency. Revenue from "Pok?mon Go" is shared by many parties, and reliant on in-game expendable purchases.

Nintendo hasn't made a statement on the percentage of players who are buying the upgrade to the full game. Analysts peg the number at between 5 and 9 percent, a bit higher than other games with a single in-app purchase instead of consumable buys.

"Pricing was designed to reassure parents that they would be charged just once, not multiple times," said Nintendo about the pricing model for "Super Mario Run." "We hope to maximize the number of people who interact with our characters on mobile, to bridge them to console gaming and to create synergies."

Nintendo claims to have no plans to expand the game at this time.

"Super Mario Run" was revealed during the iPhone 7 debut event in September. Nintendo also promises titles relating to the "Fire Emblem" adventure series, and the "Animal Crossing" town builder on mobile in March 2017.

"Super Mario Run" is free to download from the App Store, though unlocking the full game requires a $9.99 purchase. The title is a 204-megabyte download to start, that rapidly swells as progress is made through the game.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47

Even worse they just announced no new content. Ever.  Free or paid. Makes the $9.99 seem even more of a ripoff 

calischlacklolliver
  • Reply 2 of 47
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why does it say "Pok?mon Go" repeatedly in the article?

Also: Stock Market = irrational lunacy. 
    lolliverjony0
  • Reply 3 of 47

Even worse they just announced no new content. Ever.  Free or paid. Makes the $9.99 seem even more of a ripoff 

It is a ripoff as it is one of the highest quality games on the App Store and is easily worth $10 bucks? Keep milking the free section el cheap-o
    rhinotuffmike1pulseimagescalischlacklolliveridreygeorgie01watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 47
    I agree with SOG 150%. An amazing game meant to play 1 handed on a phone.
    jbdragoncalilolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 47
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    It's an okay game but not buying because of the copy protection. If the kids can't play in the car it's not worth it (iPads without networking).

I passed on Diablo for the same reason.  Too often the only time I have to play games I'm on a plane or somewhere without wifi internet.
    jbdragoncali
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Do want to know what you are doing with the other hand?  Driving? Other? Ewww.
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Welcome to the world of Apple, Nintendo. Where great sales numbers result in your stock getting punished. 
    mike1macxpresstmaycalitechprod1gylolliveridreywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 47
    sog35 said:
    If this is a hit then we can expect to see more Nintendo games on Apple platforms.
    Zelda on iPad would be sweet!

... although i'm not sure if the game-play would be as nice without physical controller buttons.
    cali
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dysamoria said:
    Why does it say "Pok?mon Go" repeatedly in the article?

Also: Stock Market = irrational lunacy. 
    Don't know. Probably the accented e is giving the forum software a problem. I'll take it up with the appropriate powers.
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    nht said:
    Do want to know what you are doing with the other hand?  Driving? Other? Ewww.

So you do want to know what they're doing with the other hand? :)
    calilolliver
  • Reply 11 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member

Welcome to the world of Apple, Nintendo. Where great sales numbers result in your stock getting punished. 
    We'll see if the numbers are sustained. Sure, they have shit tons of downloads right now, but 4-6 months from now what will they be? Seems to be a common issue with App Store Apps. They're a hit at first, and then decline, sometimes significantly. I'm not saying this will happen, I'll play the wait and see game. 
  • Reply 12 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Fuck investors. They wanted this game to have micro transactions every 10 seconds demanding you hand over $$ to continue playing. 40M in 4 days is absolutely insane. Also, for those of you that are too cheap to fork over $10 for a quality title on the appstore, you're the reason why there's so much shit on there. This game is a bargain for $10, and has already provided me hrs of entertainment, and will for many hrs more (special coins). Mario was beautifully adapted to tap controls, and the game requires hardcore skill and perfect timing for the higher goals. The fact that 40,000,000 downloads in half a week doesn't even impress investors is hilarious. I guess one more thing Nintendo and Apple has in common.
    jbdragontechprod1gylolliveridreywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 47
    nht said:
    It's an okay game but not buying because of the copy protection. If the kids can't play in the car it's not worth it (iPads without networking).

I passed on Diablo for the same reason.  Too often the only time I have to play games I'm on a plane or somewhere without wifi internet.
    Plenty of games require internet access much to my son's frustration, 9/10 times I just switch on wifi-sharing on my phone and problem solved. Also there are loads of free-wifi access points around nowadays if you are in a city, the last hold out is really in the air but many airlines are bringing in wi-fi albeit usually a pricey option.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I was about to say, here we go another person from the entitlement generations who think everything should be free they should keep getting more and more without paying, but then I saw your username and I would think you came from the generation which understand you have to have to pay to get something.

When you buy a new car and they top the tank off before you leave the lot do you also expect to keep going back and get more free gas.

edited December 2016 mwhitecaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    Investors are idiots.

This is an AMAZING game. 

Real gamers want a game you pay for once for a reasonalble fee instead of being nickle and dimed to death.

The game is great. I can't beleive how amazing it is for a game that only requires pushing on the screen.
    The entire stock market is based on Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. You of all people should know that. 
  • Reply 16 of 47
    sog35 said:
    nht said:

too bad for you then.

missing out on a great experience. 

One of my favorite games the past couple years. Its amazing how they refined the game play so much that its basically a game driven by a single button. This is great gaming refined to the absolute minimum.

buying this game is also for the greater good. If this is a hit then we can expect to see more Nintendo games on Apple platforms.
    Nope, not too bad for me.  Never cared for Mario.

Your greater good isn't mine and frankly if Nintendo doesn't change it's going to go out of business after how the WiiU tanked. There are only 10M WiiUs compared to 20M Nintendo GameCubes and 100M Wiis.  It was a harder flop than the GameCube.

If the Nintendo Switch flops as hard Nintendo will have no choice but to go the Sega route.

I'm ambivalent about what has been said about the Switch.  I'd rather have an iPad than carry that around.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    nht said:

I have to agree. The most plausible reason I heard for the internet copy protection feature was due to the Android world. Mario Run is due out on Android soon and pirating games seem to be a huge issue. With the most recent release of iOS jail breaking is almost complete gone and no real way to pirate a game or app on iOS today. But still a ramped issue on Android so the game companies are setting up the same experience for both eco systems. Blame Google for the issue since they done very little to protect the revenue streams of their developers which forces developers to do things which are not consumer friendly.

Other than a plane, you can always create a hotspot for the ipad to use your cellphones data connection. My kids connect their laptops to my cellphone while we drive for this reason.

• Reply 18 of 47
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The opinion of investors and Wall Street is ALWAYS irrelevant and often false. They've been trying to make people believe that they have a capacity for prediction but they are just as clueless as anybody else. One just has to read any anal-isis on Apple to understand that.
    cali
  • Reply 19 of 47
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    The TV news reporting on Nintendo's stock plunge has focused on the $9.99 cost of this app. CNN's coverage was almost completely about the app's price.
    cali
  • Reply 20 of 47
    sog35 said:

Go show me another Mario game that cost $10?  Portable Mario games cost $40.

$10 for a 24 level game is outstanding. 

The quality of this game is top notch.

$10 for a Mario game is a bargain.
    maestro64 said:

I was about to say, here we go another person from the entitlement generations who think everything should be free they should keep getting more and more without paying, but then I saw your username and I would think you came from the generation which understand you have to have to pay to get something.

When you buy a new car and they top the tank off before you leave the lot do you also expect to keep going back and get more free gas. 

I have no problem paying for games or other apps I like. The issue to me is more the statement that there will never be any new content. There's a reason this game has such a relatively low rating for the most popular game.  Never adding new content will not improve the game or that rating 

edited December 2016 cali