Russian regulatory filings point to five new Macs, four new iOS devices coming soon

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2017
Data gleaned from regulatory filings in Russia suggest that Apple is on the cusp of announcing up to five new Mac models and four new iOS devices soon, and possibly as soon as WWDC.

First spotted by Consomac, the new model numbers listed as macOS 10.12 devices are A1289, A1347, A1418, A1419, and A1481. Models A1670, A1671, A1701, and A1709 are associated with iOS devices. Another number associated with a possible new keyboard or other peripheral device is A1843.

The existing Retina MacBook model number us A1534 -- the same as the early 2015 MacBook. The surviving 13-inch MacBook Air is model A1466, and the 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros are A1708 for the 13-inch dual Thunderbolt 3 model, A1706 for the 13-inch model with Touch Bar, and A1707 for the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

Currently, the 9.7- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro model numbers are A1584 and A1652 for the former, and A1673 through A1675 for the latter. The fourth generation Apple Wireless Keyboard, also known as the Magic Keyboard, is model number A1314.

The filings have no other solid data behind them, other than operating system in question. Apple must make the regulatory filing before product release to comply with Russian encryption registration laws.

Also not listed are any release dates -- the new products could hit at WWDC, or be for some point in the future. However, it seems unlikely that Apple would allow new model numbers of products to be made public months before actual release.

Rumors started circulating in the middle of May about a MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro refresh -- but little beyond an upgrade to the Kaby Lake processor is expected. While there is suspicion that a 32GB memory update is coming at WWDC, a completely new motherboard revision would be needed to incorporate conventional DDR4 RAM to do so -- so this is less likely than just a processor swap.

Apple is also said to be planning a speed boost for the 12-inch MacBook, and has allegedly "considered" updating the Air the same way. Once a signature Mac, the Air was last given a CPU update in 2015.

Even though the rumor mill has fired up for the last few years suggesting new Mac hardware would appear at WWDC, it has been three years since Apple updated any Mac hardware at the event. Should a MacBook Pro update happen at the event, it will be the second quickest refresh of the line -- and that was a processor swap to the Penryn architecture with no other internal modifications in 2007.

WWDC 2017 will likely see new versions of macOS, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS. Rumored to make an appearance long before the reports of a MacBook line refresh is a new 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and possibly a Siri home speaker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Check the numbers.
    A1289 Old Mac Pro
    A1347 Mac mini
    A1418 iMac 4K
    A1419 iMac 5K
    A1481 New Mac Pro
    tenthousandthingslongpathpscooter63SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 40
    fisher4dfisher4d Posts: 1member
    Hoping Siri speaker device is new 4K Apple TV with speaker, no need for whole new separate device.
    tallest skilsteyoun
  • Reply 3 of 40
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    While a processor bump for the Macbook Air would be nice, it doesn't address it's bigger shortcoming, that it's a 1000+ dollar system in 2017 with a 1440x900 TN panel. If they update that to IPS and 1600 at least that would be something. 
    chasmcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Question. Why do we always drown in rumors about the iPhone but Mac and iPad rumors are few and far between? Is the security better at plants that manufacture Macs?
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    lkrupp said:
    Question. Why do we always drown in rumors about the iPhone but Mac and iPad rumors are few and far between? Is the security better at plants that manufacture Macs?
    I think it's a numbers game.

An iPhone factory needs to make 80 million of the devices per quarter peak, and about 40 million off-peak. Mac sales are an order of magnitude lower. More people, more chances of leaks and whatnot. In the military, "Need to know" kept numbers of people who knew something down. No point in an entire crew knowing something that maybe two people need to know.
    edited May 2017 longpathbkkcanuckanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tipoo said:
    While a processor bump for the Macbook Air would be nice, it doesn't address it's bigger shortcoming, that it's a 1000+ dollar system in 2017 with a 1440x900 TN panel. If they update that to IPS and 1600 at least that would be something. 

At this point, I'd just be glad they're keeping it around...Technically, it doesn't really need to exist and the only reason it does is so Apple has a sub-$1000 laptop. 
  • Reply 7 of 40

lkrupp said:
    I think because Macs aren't Apple's biggest piece of the pie so not as many care about the Mac as they do an iPhone. 
  • Reply 8 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macxpress said:
    tipoo said:

At this point, I'd just be glad they're keeping it around...Technically, it doesn't really need to exist and the only reason it does is so Apple has a sub-$1000 laptop. 
    How about Apple make a MacBook model that is less than $1000?
  • Reply 9 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fisher4d said:
    Hoping Siri speaker device is new 4K Apple TV with speaker, no need for whole new separate device.
    Why do I need a 4K Apple TV in my kitchen and on my nightstand? Seems like overkill.
    pscooter63Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 10 of 40
    macxpress said:
    tipoo said:

How about Apple make a MacBook model that is less than $1000?
    They would if they could. It's not like Apple is purposely making it expensive. Remember, the original MacBook Air was very expensive at the time as well until it fell in price and then fell in price again. 

We could very well see a sub-$1000 12" MacBook at WWDC. I still sit on the side of once the 12" MacBook goes sub-$1000 the days of the MacBook Air are very numbered. It doesn't need to exist anymore once the 12" MacBook goes below $1000. 
    Metriacanthosaurusasdasdchiatechaccidentcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, this would certainly be welcome.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    fisher4d said:
    Nope.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple took out all the elevators.

wonkothesane
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Would love to see a powerful replacement with a Retina display for the 11" Air.  Not totally pleased with the switch to USB "C" but I survived the demise of optical drives (although I still occasionally could use one).  Happy to see updates for the Mac.  Finally.

• Reply 15 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    koolaukid said:
    Would love to see a powerful replacement with a Retina display for the 11" Air.  Not totally pleased with the switch to USB "C" but I survived the demise of optical drives (although I still occasionally could use one).  Happy to see updates for the Mac.  Finally.
    1) Everything says the 11" MBA is dead.

2) USB-C isn't a whim. It's the future of computing. Expect it to be everywhere.
    pscooter63chia
  • Reply 16 of 40
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    lkrupp said:
    Maybe it's because the iPhone gets major updates every year.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    fisher4d said:
    Good thinking. :)
  • Reply 18 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Another number associated with a possible new keyboard or other peripheral device is A1843.

That might be a touchbar keyboard. Depending on price, I might buy one.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple took out all the elevators.

What is that a picture of? I don't get it.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    eightzero said:
    What is that a picture of? I don't get it.
    Aww, now I feel old. This is a picture of the iMac G5 before it was launched! Exclusive! This is part of a set of images released just before the G5 was announced that tried to pass off whatever this is as the new iMac. Everyone mocked it because it looks like it was taken in an elevator. After that, “No elevator shot; this must be a fake” became the new cry every time a new fake (or real) prerelease product image was posted. We used to see way more elaborate fakes back in the day. 

SpamSandwichpscooter63eightzerocornchipbestkeptsecret