Copper-colored 'iPhone 8' pops up on Chinese social media, provenance unknown

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2017
More posts from Chinese social media have popped up, purporting to show a new copper color for the forthcoming "iPhone 8" -- but it is unclear if the pictures are legitimate parts or mockups.




A set of images gathered from Chinese social media venue Weibo, collated by My Drivers allegedly show an assembled and non-functional iPhone 8 in a copper color. One set of images shows it side-by-side with a black, and a white casing.




The images are likely of duplicates stamped out from a clone factory. Apple's regulatory lines on the bottom of a device are much longer world-wide, and US versions don't include the CE Marking for European regulatory conformity as shown on the case parts in the pictures.




Rumors about color choices for a future iPhone are wrong as often as they are right. In June 2016, it was predicted that the iPhone 7 would sport a dark blue color -- which turned out to be untrue.

The "iPhone 8" is rumored to feature an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space with the remainder dedicated to virtual buttons. The device is expected to fit a larger battery in both size and capacity into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

With a complete redesign, plus the inclusion of a 2.5D curved glass back with wireless charging, some reports have pegged the starting price of the "iPhone 8" at more than $1,000, and others as much as $1,200.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The reflexions make me think this is plastic, so a click generator
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,259administrator
    foggyhill said:
    The reflexions make me think this is plastic, so a click generator
    The glossy iPhone 7 Plus when new reflects like that too.
    edited August 2017 repressthis
  • Reply 3 of 33
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I think the front is more suspect. I have a hard time believing Apple would offer a white front given the prominence of the camera and IR sensors, let alone the notch. Everything Apple pro on YouTube has a nice mock-up of a white iPhone that includes black notch and bezel, with white frame and back glass. Full stormtrooper. I’d buy that phone.
    repressthistrashman69EsquireCatsredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 33
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 775member
    I call a fake. The thing does not look waterproof beyond a tiny puddle. Notice how the seams are not sealed in the front and back?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 5,901member
    Apple's colour offerings are very mundane now. It would be nice to see some changes. I think copper could look nice if they got the right tone and finish. The version shown here though doesn't look very attractive IMO.

    I've seen some cool metallic mustard colours on cars that I thought would look great on a phone.

    Sounds awful but actually looks great.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    JinTech said:
    I call a fake. The thing does not look waterproof beyond a tiny puddle. Notice how the seams are not sealed in the front and back?
    You glean all this from a slightly low res pic? 
  • Reply 7 of 33
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Copper phone with silver Apple logo? Seems fake. At least I hope it is. But the product red iPhone has silver logo and silver Touch ID ring so...
    trashman69
  • Reply 8 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 11,573member
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's colour offerings are very mundane now. 
    If by rubbish you actually mean "are the inspiration for all the knockoffs who immediately copied them", sure.
    pscooter63Rayz2016watto_cobrajay-tchia
  • Reply 9 of 33
    dewmedewme Posts: 3,815member
    Why do all articles related to iPhone 8 design, feature, or functional speculation seem to contain the same basic blurb about the possible price point? Is this now a required AI standard for all iPhone 8 related article submissions: Author Notes: "Please add blurb about possible iPhone 8 price point" - check!  Last years standard phrase was "missing headphone jack." Trust us - we get it, for the next generation iPhone the price may be higher. It does make me wonder whether having a singular point like this drilled into our heads incessently is being subtly supported by Apple to "soften the impact of the change" or whether some writers just can't get enough of saying the same thing over and over again.  
    watto_cobraredgeminipamobird
  • Reply 10 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's colour offerings are very mundane now. 
    If by rubbish you actually mean "are the inspiration for all the knockoffs who immediately copied them", sure.
    Avon lies all the time to make a so called point, comes with the times. If enough lies are piled we get a great big straw man; that and false equivalency to push a both sides argument, are the most in vogue fallacies. People used to be spare in their use but with the troll culture and alias in chief at the top... it's a continuous barrage now.

    apple has been the one introducing new Colors that everyone then copies, gold, rose gold, jet black, whatever... its only mondane if the word has no meaning to someone.
    tmaypscooter63StrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobrajay-tchia
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Just a point of information. My iPhone, iPad and iPod all have those CE marks on the back. It's standard here in Ireland. 
  • Reply 12 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 5,901member
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's colour offerings are very mundane now. 
    If by rubbish you actually mean "are the inspiration for all the knockoffs who immediately copied them", sure.
    Avon lies all the time to make a so called point, comes with the times. If enough lies are piled we get a great big straw man; that and false equivalency to push a both sides argument, are the most in vogue fallacies. People used to be spare in their use but with the troll culture and alias in chief at the top... it's a continuous barrage now.

    apple has been the one introducing new Colors that everyone then copies, gold, rose gold, jet black, whatever... its only mondane if the word has no meaning to someone.
    LOL. Troll in Chief! Love it!

    Even black, be it Jet, pitch, night or whatever is boring nowadays. Any colour becomes boring after a while. Rose gold, space grey and absolutely anything that has not changed in a while becomes boring and other options come into play. Phones, in spite of their obvious design limitations, are often fashion statements, and while many end up in cases, the colour and finish are a key part of the statement.

    I hope we don't get a yawn fest when the colours and finish are announced.

    And if you think I have lied about absolutely anything, just post the details and I will gladly set you straight.


    edited August 2017 gatorguy
  • Reply 13 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 5,901member
    Just a point of information. My iPhone, iPad and iPod all have those CE marks on the back. It's standard here in Ireland. 
    Yes, and it is very unlikely any iPhone bought from an official source in the EU will not have it. The symbol is not obligatory but Apple uses it to guarantee users that the phones comply with EU standards.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,259administrator
    dewme said:
    Why do all articles related to iPhone 8 design, feature, or functional speculation seem to contain the same basic blurb about the possible price point? Is this now a required AI standard for all iPhone 8 related article submissions: Author Notes: "Please add blurb about possible iPhone 8 price point" - check!  Last years standard phrase was "missing headphone jack." Trust us - we get it, for the next generation iPhone the price may be higher. It does make me wonder whether having a singular point like this drilled into our heads incessently is being subtly supported by Apple to "soften the impact of the change" or whether some writers just can't get enough of saying the same thing over and over again.  
    Because while regular readers know this already, a large portion of our traffic is drive-by.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,259administrator

    Just a point of information. My iPhone, iPad and iPod all have those CE marks on the back. It's standard here in Ireland. 
    I was unaware of that. Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 16 of 33
    tshapitshapi Posts: 344member
    I also think it's fake based off the size of the Asian persons fingers in relation to holding the phone. If it's supposed to be around a iPhone 7 size phone. That image appears to be more of an iPhone 7plus or galaxy note type mode 
  • Reply 17 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,427member
    avon b7 said:
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's colour offerings are very mundane now. 
    If by rubbish you actually mean "are the inspiration for all the knockoffs who immediately copied them", sure.
    Avon lies all the time to make a so called point, comes with the times. If enough lies are piled we get a great big straw man; that and false equivalency to push a both sides argument, are the most in vogue fallacies. People used to be spare in their use but with the troll culture and alias in chief at the top... it's a continuous barrage now.

    apple has been the one introducing new Colors that everyone then copies, gold, rose gold, jet black, whatever... its only mondane if the word has no meaning to someone.
    LOL. Troll in Chief! Love it!

    Even black, be it Jet, pitch, night or whatever is boring nowadays. Any colour becomes boring after a while. Rose gold, space grey and absolutely anything that has not changed in a while becomes boring and other options come into play. Phones, in spite of their obvious design limitations, are often fashion statements, and while many end up in cases, the colour and finish are a key part of the statement.

    I hope we don't get a yawn fest when the colours and finish are announced.

    And if you think I have lied about absolutely anything, just post the details and I will gladly set you straight.


    I love the new superficial you!

    Don't worry, give me a couple of minutes and I'll move on to posters who can provide substance, accuracy, and a superior "key part of the statement" that you sadly lack.

    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's colour offerings are very mundane now. 
    If by rubbish you actually mean "are the inspiration for all the knockoffs who immediately copied them", sure.
    Avon lies all the time to make a so called point, comes with the times. If enough lies are piled we get a great big straw man; that and false equivalency to push a both sides argument, are the most in vogue fallacies. People used to be spare in their use but with the troll culture and alias in chief at the top... it's a continuous barrage now.

    apple has been the one introducing new Colors that everyone then copies, gold, rose gold, jet black, whatever... its only mondane if the word has no meaning to someone.
    LOL. Troll in Chief! Love it!

    Even black, be it Jet, pitch, night or whatever is boring nowadays. Any colour becomes boring after a while. Rose gold, space grey and absolutely anything that has not changed in a while becomes boring and other options come into play. Phones, in spite of their obvious design limitations, are often fashion statements, and while many end up in cases, the colour and finish are a key part of the statement.

    I hope we don't get a yawn fest when the colours and finish are announced.

    And if you think I have lied about absolutely anything, just post the details and I will gladly set you straight.


    So spin the little wheels, spin, spin, spin... push the tiny goalpost... Nice effort there.
    Should I read this meta "comment" as final or wait for the third spin cycle and see if all the wrinkles have come out?

    And yeah, next time you lie or distort anything like you did here; I'll shovel the load right back out.
    Not that it will make a difference; it never does. Your "well" (sic) never runs dry.


    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 5,901member
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    foggyhill said:
    avon b7 said:
    Apple's colour offerings are very mundane now. 
    If by rubbish you actually mean "are the inspiration for all the knockoffs who immediately copied them", sure.
    Avon lies all the time to make a so called point, comes with the times. If enough lies are piled we get a great big straw man; that and false equivalency to push a both sides argument, are the most in vogue fallacies. People used to be spare in their use but with the troll culture and alias in chief at the top... it's a continuous barrage now.

    apple has been the one introducing new Colors that everyone then copies, gold, rose gold, jet black, whatever... its only mondane if the word has no meaning to someone.
    LOL. Troll in Chief! Love it!

    Even black, be it Jet, pitch, night or whatever is boring nowadays. Any colour becomes boring after a while. Rose gold, space grey and absolutely anything that has not changed in a while becomes boring and other options come into play. Phones, in spite of their obvious design limitations, are often fashion statements, and while many end up in cases, the colour and finish are a key part of the statement.

    I hope we don't get a yawn fest when the colours and finish are announced.

    And if you think I have lied about absolutely anything, just post the details and I will gladly set you straight.


    So spin the little wheels, spin, spin, spin... push the tiny goalpost... Nice effort there.
    Should I read this meta "comment" as final or wait for the third spin cycle and see if all the wrinkles have come out?

    And yeah, next time you lie or distort anything like you did here; I'll shovel the load right back out.
    Not that it will make a difference; it never does. Your "well" (sic) never runs dry.


    No need to wait for a 'next time' when I supposedly always lie. If that were really the case, you would have a bucketful of lies to go on and would gleefully shovel it back at me.

    Of course, that isn't the case at all. Who is trolling who, here?

    And for the case at hand, would you really be excited to see Apple announce yet another round of space grey (or some kind of variant) this September or October?

    God no! It's time to move on IMO.

    And while we're at it, they can get rid of the white cabling too. Have you seen any of the cool nylon (or whatever it actually is) cabling out there? The white was ok for the iPod boom times. Not now. Just like the 'i' terminology. Time to go. I hope the expensive iPhone breaks that naming convention and sets things up for a new age sans the 'i'.


  • Reply 20 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 11,573member
    iPhone is the most successful product in history and going strong. They aren’t going to ditch its brand anytime soon, even if it’s logically that the “i” is no longer needed.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.