'A11 Fusion' in iPhone X appears to be a six core processor, according to iOS 11 leak [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
The data trove unearthed by the near-final version of iOS 11 continues to bear fruit, with the latest gleaned data suggesting that the 'A11 Fusion' processor expected to be in the iPhone X has two cores for intensive processing needs, and four high-efficiency cores.

Unearthed by Steve Troughton-Smith on Sunday, the iOS 11 leak from the end of the week reveal CPUs labeled 0 through 5 -- a total of six. Without expanding on further delving, the developer originally claimed that four are the high-powered "Mistral" cores, with two "Monsoon" cores supplementing the four for lesser computational needs.

A11 Fusion is a 4+2 core device https://t.co/mqtIKcjBmG

-- Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith)
For comparison, the A10 Fusion processor in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus has a pair of high performance cores, and a pair of high efficiency cores. The A10X in the iPad Pro refresh from WWDC has three high performance "Hurricane" cores, and three high efficiency "Zephyr" cores.

The A10X in the iPad Pro was the first consumer device built on TSMC's 10nm chip fabrication process. In all likelihood, the "A11 Fusion" processor will be based on the same size process.

To keep the iPhone X running at peak efficiency, as with the iPhone 7, the two types of cores are likely driven by a Apple's traffic-regulating chip, delivering tasks with low computing power demands to the high efficiency cores, and heavy duty tasks to the high power cores. Practically, this means that tasks like e-mail checking and music playing will be handled by the high efficiency cores, preserving battery life when in use much better than if the tasks were dealt with by the high power chips.

It is not clear from the delve if the hexacore A11 Fusion is in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, or just in the iPhone X.

Apple is expected to announce three new iPhones with the high-end OLED model, and two other devices expected at a Sept. 12 press event. Also predicted is a refresh of the Apple TV adding 4K video as a playback option, and an LTE-equipped Apple Watch.

Update: The six cores were "clarified" by the discoverers later on Sunday, with the current prediction being two of them having the higher power, and four of them being the low-power, high power efficiency model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I'm not buying the idea there's 4 high performance cores. Maybe it's:

2 High performance cores
    2 High efficiency cores
    2 Nueral processing cores

tmayAvieshek
  • Reply 2 of 32
    2 high processing cores 2 efficiency cores and 2 cores dedicated to gpu? 
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tshapi said:
    GPU cores, and for that matter, potential neural processing ones, aren't identified as CPU0,1,2,3 etc.
    edited September 2017 SolichiatipooAviesheknetmage
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Think of the POWER   >:)
    edited September 2017 AvieshekGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    IMHO, All of this high perforamnce/high efficiency core stuff is just further evidence that Apple is working on an Axx-fusion-based laptop.
    doozydozenAvieshek
  • Reply 6 of 32
    I know the gpu is separate. With all the AR I would suspect that's why they have 4 cores for high power computing. For all the graphic processing and data computation from the 3D camera 
  • Reply 7 of 32
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

2 High performance cores
    2 High efficiency cores

Yeah, I'm in agreement, albeit the Neural processing cores will be fairly small in this generation; just enough to power Siri in standalone mode in the future.

Apple is building increased specializing onto the die, simply because they have the architectural team. the OS and the development system, to create the best tradeoff between performance and efficiency.

Remember a few weeks ago around here, when there were a couple of folks touting the Snapdragon 835 and 845, and the Kirin 970? I'm guessing that they will have to move the goal posts yet again.

Edit;

Okay, so "Longhorn" states that he has the details on the cpu's, and it's 4 big and 2 little, in which case, the Neural processing cores would have to be on the SOC if they exist. That would also imply that the interconnections among the 4 large CPU's would have to be of an improved, evolved, design, and I'm guessing at a new level of bandwidth; maybe we are seeing the first processor suitable for an ARM analog to the Mac Book, less x86 of course. Where would Apple go for an 11X version but to beef up the number of GPGPU's?
    edited September 2017 doozydozengregg thurman
  • Reply 8 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tshapi said:
    GPU cores, and for that matter, potential neural processing ones, aren't identified as CPU0,1,2,3 etc.
    So would you think they'd do a 3x3-core CPU setup?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Being that supposedly the iPhone 8 can record in 4K 60fps, that chip must really be a beast. I guess there's nothing that can be thrown at the iPhone 8 that will slow it down. I think it's going to be hard for the Android manufacturers to keep up in terms of performance and still make decent profits. They'll be buying smaller quantities of SnapDragon 835s and paying more for them, yet selling fewer flagship models than Apple. I would think most mid-range Android smartphones aren't going to have enough processing power to be doing AR on Apple's level, so Apple should be able to dominate in terms of the number of smartphones being able to run AR apps. Apple already has a large customer base of iPhones than can immediately run AR apps and now come the A11 Fusion beasts. It appears there's going to be an iPhone AR storm on the horizon.

If Wall Street still yawns at the high-end iPhone X, then I suppose there's nothing Apple can do to impress anyone.
    edited September 2017 doozydozenchiacornchipradarthekatAvieshekwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    That leak has certainly revealed a lot of info. Hope they catch the person. I'm even more excited to see the event though. The info we are gleaning now doesn't show the sheer power of the CPU or how iOS 11 is going to work in implementation.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    I am more than certain that it's not 4 cores, but 4 threads belonging to two physical cores which are bundled with a Zephyr core each. SMT is low hanging fruit and it was just a question of time when apple would pick it.
    tmayksecradarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How will this company survive. Mere pennies in the bank and now this. 
    cornchipfastasleepradarthekatmacky the mackyAvieshek
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I am more than certain that it's not 4 cores, but 4 threads belonging to two physical cores which are bundled with a Zephyr core each. SMT is low hanging fruit and it was just a question of time when apple would pick it.
    If they did that, then they might have to have improved the instruction pipeline and added more cache, certainly an evolution that we would expect for Apple to make anyway.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 32
    You guys can't resist putting all the spoilers in the headlines. Instead of a headline like "Leak provides new insight into A11 chip" you just dumped the equivalent of "Leak reveals Darth Vader is Luke's father in Star Wars sequel" right in the headline. Is that really necessary? Can't you put the spoilers in the article and tag it with "potential spoiler"? I would only apply that to information that came from firmware leaks, stolen Apple prototypes--any asset that came form Apple, Inc. Hearsay, analyst musings, and unreliable reports from third parties still fall into rumor category, but this is not. You are obviously treating all info gleaned from the iOS 11 leak as fact, so you know it is not the same category as a Ming-Chi Kuo sourced story.
    cornchipAviesheknetmage
  • Reply 15 of 32
    This thing will blow the doors off the other chips, it already crushes IPC numbers of all comers and now you'd have essentially a desktop chip (not just in power, but in other capability) in a cell phone!

If that's the case, I indeed don't see how they'd wouldn't include this thing at a minimum as a coprocessor on laptops too.
    Run IOS in a window, run its own external screen while the laptop one does something else, whatever.

They could sell Macs were under the screen you got a IOS tablet and the keyboard part runs Windows with some joint storage areas they both share.

They could integrate IOS and Windows by enabling a drag and drop from that IOS window to the Windows and Vice Versa.
    People could even just buy and Ipad Pro and then buy just the keyboard if they want the Windows part.

edited September 2017 tmaycornchip
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Mmm...

Apple has certainly come a long way in CPU capability in 41 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_6502 

cornchipfastasleepnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Don't even care how many cores it has...I know Apple will optimize the phone to outperform any frcking phone out there.
    Solicornchiptallest skilradarthekatdoozydozenAvieshekwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 32
    tmay said:

2 High performance cores
    2 High efficiency cores

Yeah, I'm in agreement, albeit the Neural processing cores will be fairly small in this generation; just enough to power Siri in standalone mode in the future.

Apple is building increased specializing onto the die, simply because they have the architectural team. the OS and the development system, to create the best tradeoff between performance and efficiency.

Remember a few weeks ago around here, when there were a couple of folks touting the Snapdragon 835 and 845, and the Kirin 970? I'm guessing that they will have to move the goal posts yet again.

Edit;

Okay, so "Longhorn" states that he has the details on the cpu's, and it's 4 big and 2 little, in which case, the Neural processing cores would have to be on the SOC if they exist. That would also imply that the interconnections among the 4 large CPU's would have to be of an improved, evolved, design, and I'm guessing at a new level of bandwidth; maybe we are seeing the first processor suitable for an ARM analog to the Mac Book, less x86 of course. Where would Apple go for an 11X version but to beef up the number of GPGPU's?
    "Longhorn" just corrected himself.  It's 2 big cores & 4 little cores

Confirmation:

edited September 2017 tmaySolicornchipdoozydozenAviesheknetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    tmay said:

2 High performance cores
    2 High efficiency cores

Edit;

Confirmation:

Thanks for that correction. It did appear to me that 4 large core would require a substantial leap in the existing architecture, so this seems a more natural evolution.
    Avieshek
  • Reply 20 of 32
    tmay said:

2 High performance cores
    2 High efficiency cores

Edit;

Confirmation:

It would make a lot more sense this way. Taskes that need big core need them because mutli-core don't answer the problem very well. Taskes that do responed well to multi-core generally respond very well. Also having more smaller cores to handle the multitude of things your smartphone is doing at the same time without tripping over other would be good.
    tmaywatto_cobra