Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 161 of 352
    melgross said:
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    That's the price in Europe...or more exact, Sweden.
    Was the price of the iPhone 7 (or now, 8) proportionally less high than that of the X, compared to US prices? In other words, if a phone costing $500 in the US costs $800 in Sweden, what's the issue?
    iP7+ costs about $890 in Sweden, while iPx is $1625, I find that horrendous for a piece of telephone. For goods sake it's a telephone. Both my kids and wife have a 7+, I am still on 5s. Have been a apple fanboy for many years, but I guess it is time to look elsewhere. iP8 is just so much...iP7, it's boring. I rather take something else. Maybe I will go the El cheap on route and pick a perfectly working $50 dual SIM card phone.
    Buy an SE, it's just got a price cut. It has 6s' internals, so significantly better than the 5s. Then target the 8 series as your next phone. You can easily discard the SE when it is time to buy an 8. If you buy a 7/7+ now they may stick to you longer than you expect.

The 8 is a platform jump, just like the 5s which is platform jump too (64 bit). So you can buy the base 8 models even when updated versions are released, because such jumps don't occur every year.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 162 of 352
    They didn’t show letterboxing with video. Will be kind of strange to watch video with the camera notch there.
    Yes, it seems like it would be less distracting just to make the areas on either side of the notch black and show the video in the rectangular area that's left. Is the screen exactly 16:9 including the notch? Then maybe Apple really intended it to work this way. But I anticipate sending something about this through the Apple Feedback page after I've had a chance to try it.
  • Reply 163 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    If you turn your head sideways, can you still see how far away things are? So, depth perception still works sideways.
    Most photos and games are landscape and AR games will probably benefit from the camera in that configuration.
  • Reply 164 of 352
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    The iPhone X really changes the dynamic in iPhone lineage. This is the first time that the logical successor to a previous generation iPhone, in the case the iPhone 8/8+ replacing the iPhone 7/7+, has launched as a mid-tier product in the iPhone lineup. I'm not saying that it's a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a different thing with a weird psychological effect. As a buyer I'd look at the purchase of an iPhone 8/8+ as something of a letdown or act of settling because I know up-front that I'm not getting the top-of-the-line product from Apple.

While this dynamic already exists in Apple's MacBook (Pro) product lines, it's less apparent with the iPhone products. Up to now the iPhone "product line" has been structured around surgically slipping in lower cost models like the 5C and SE and keeping older models hanging around for affordability. In this case, however, Apple is presenting product line variation by inserting a super premium variation on top of everything else in the product line, even the new premium products being introduced on the same day as the top tier super premium member of the product line. This is a big change for Apple iPhone buyers to absorb and a bit of a risk for Apple. I think this will cause some turmoil in the customer base as they adapt to a new reality and broader set of choices beyond knowing that the newest model always being the best. Now there's new+better and new+best.

Still, there's never been more and better choices for Apple customers. But now they have to think about their choices a bit more than ever before.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 165 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    boogerman2000 said:
    Of course there are ways to make a person open his or her eyes. Clueless.
    There are, but it's not a retinal scanner so if there's something blocking the face so that they can keep the eyelids open then it seems doubtful will work.

Of course, there are other ways that are less invasive to more invasive. Super gluing your eyelids open would be an invasive tactic, but using fake eyes over your eye lids might work since nearly all of the 30k points on the face are still focus on the face. Then you have tricking someone since in a pitch black room they would probably open their eyes to look around and not see the phone in front of them which can still see them.
    edited September 2017 boogerman2000
  • Reply 166 of 352
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Was that stuff about laser autofocus and AR enhancing sensors on the X fake news? I don't remember them saying it was any better at AR than the 8
  • Reply 167 of 352
    melgross said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    Airpower sounds pretty good. And you do need a brand name for features. That’s true particularly that Apple added new features to it that’s not (yet) part of the Qi standard.
    I think "airpower" is about where they want to take it not where it currently is. 
    cali
  • Reply 168 of 352
    I wonder if you stick out your tongue when you calibrate Face ID if you will have to stick it out every time to unlock the phone. 😳
    caliradarthekatiqatedo
  • Reply 169 of 352
    Soli said:
    So Engadget says the notch doesn’t bother them but then complains about the very thin bezel that goes all around the screen. Hey Engadget, newsflash, the S8 has this too but because the screen is curved at the edges you don’t notice it. LG has it, so does Xiaomi. In fact the only phone that doesn’t appear to have a thin bezel at the edge is the Essential phone which nobody in their right mind would buy because who knows how long it will exist or be supported. 

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/12/apple-iphone-x-hands-on/

Are people seriously not going to buy this phone because of the very thin bezel around the edge? Good grief.
    The Galaxy S8 does have an edge-to-edge display for its front face along the side edges in portrait mode. If you have your display literally go to the edge instead of just close to it I don't think it's fair to say they also has a bezel and then add a disclaimer that the bezel is on the side of the device.
    So would you prefer the curved screen of the S8? Seems gimmicky to me. 
  • Reply 170 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    So Engadget says the notch doesn’t bother them but then complains about the very thin bezel that goes all around the screen. Hey Engadget, newsflash, the S8 has this too but because the screen is curved at the edges you don’t notice it. LG has it, so does Xiaomi. In fact the only phone that doesn’t appear to have a thin bezel at the edge is the Essential phone which nobody in their right mind would buy because who knows how long it will exist or be supported. 

Are people seriously not going to buy this phone because of the very thin bezel around the edge? Good grief.
    The Galaxy S8 does have an edge-to-edge display for its front face along the side edges in portrait mode. If you have your display literally go to the edge instead of just close to it I don't think it's fair to say they also has a bezel and then add a disclaimer that the bezel is on the side of the device.
    I'd prefer correct terminology.
  • Reply 171 of 352
    is it possible that all these new features used on the iPhone X will be used on the next iPad Pro generation?
  • Reply 172 of 352

Soli said:
    This is hilarious from Mashable’s hands on first look:

http://mashable.com/2017/09/12/apple-iphone-x-hands-on/?utm_cid=hp-n-1#qbK40NcFYOqq

I am concerned about the storage tiers. 64 GB is okay, but not great for the $999 model, so many if not most iPhone X buyers will likely opt for the $1,149 version with 256GB. For no good reason I can discern, there is no 128 GB option.

The reason there is no 128GB option is because Apple wants you spending $1,149, not $999. 128GB is the option most people would chose so Apple is not going to offer it and hope most people spend $150 more even if they don’t need 256GB but are worried that 64GB won’t be enough. Maybe 2 years from now the base model will be 128GB.
    What's hilarious about that? Apple has historically done Good-Better-Best so a 128GB mintier wouldn't be out of the question, but if you paid attention you'd see that Apple is doing spec bumps with larger quantities which lowers the price per GB to upgrade.
    What’s hilarious is his wondering why Apple doesn’t offer the sweet spot. Does he not pay attention? This is no different than when Apple went 16 > 64. This is all about the upsell. Btw, with the X it seems there’s only good & best.
  • Reply 173 of 352
    arlomedia said:
    They didn’t show letterboxing with video. Will be kind of strange to watch video with the camera notch there.
    Yes, it seems like it would be less distracting just to make the areas on either side of the notch black and show the video in the rectangular area that's left. Is the screen exactly 16:9 including the notch? Then maybe Apple really intended it to work this way. But I anticipate sending something about this through the Apple Feedback page after I've had a chance to try it.
    Hmm...apparently video does work this way according to Jason Snell. But unfortunately photos don’t appear to.
  • Reply 174 of 352

Soli said:
    Soli said:

I'd prefer correct terminology.
    OK so then Samsung S8 has edge to edge display and iPhone X does not. I’m assuming then Apple won’t be using edge to edge terminology in any of its marketing materials.
  • Reply 175 of 352
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    thompr said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    I think FaceID can be easily compromised by hard core criminals.
    FaceID has 1 million secure points,  it is currently the hardest (though not impossible, time will tell) security tool to be compromised by anyone.
    I'm not worried about the false positive (i.e. thinking someone else is you) so much as the false negative (i.e. not recognizing your face when you are using ApplePay).  It happened to Craig on stage, 1 time out of about 4.  They better get the software right in time for launch.
    The phone had rebooted. You can see the text on the passcode screen. That was a big demo mistake but not a software glitch. 
    stompyradarthekat
  • Reply 176 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    It's not for stereoscopic 3D.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 177 of 352
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Bloggers are struggling to find the next 'Gate. Sad world we live in.
  • Reply 178 of 352

I hope that gets people to stop filming videos vertically. 
    I will send Craig a box of chocolates if they ever default to recording landscape video regardless of which direction you're holding your iPhone. Vertical video is ruining the internet.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 179 of 352
    tipoo said:
    Was that stuff about laser autofocus and AR enhancing sensors on the X fake news? I don't remember them saying it was any better at AR than the 8
               That is a very good question. I expected at least one laser on the back side of the iPhone X. In fact I expected the iPhone X to have such functionality as to render AR spectacles unnecessary.

Maybe in a year or two ... one step at a time. To incorporate such functionality at this time would push the price up even more. Maybe best to wait until AR programs have been developed and become considered must have items. Also the GPU processing power might not be quite there yet.

As they said at the presentation ... "the iPhone X is the future".
  • Reply 180 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    What an incredibly ignorant statement. Are you that unaware of the times we are living in? Of course there are ways to make a person open his or her eyes. Clueless.
    That’s ridiculous. If they’re doing it legally, they’re limited as to what they can do. And as someone pointed out, if they’re going to do something nefarious, they might as well hold you and stick your finger on Touch ID. What’s the difference?

seriously, some of you guys are really way out there.
    edited September 2017 stompypscooter63StrangeDaysradarthekatlkrupp