First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 341 of 436
    Soli said:
    Except the X isn’t bezel free. There’s a thin black bezel that goes around the entire display.
    While that's fine and will likely be there for years because it helps with the structural integrity of the device (I assume), it would be nice if the display was literally covering the entire front of the device. Perhaps in a decade they'll market Infinity Edge™ (in the vein of an infinity pool), but not like the Note 8 which merely curves two of the sides over.

Here's how that might look in the future.

Yes, and then you got blown out corners because well, it's glass...  The metal on your future "phone" is probably 1mm thick and I don't see any material making it work unless the glass itself is exposed and curved (like the S8)..
  • Reply 342 of 436
    AI_lias said:
    Soli said:
    Except the X isn’t bezel free. There’s a thin black bezel that goes around the entire display.
    While that's fine and will likely be there for years because it helps with the structural integrity of the device (I assume), it would be nice if the display was literally covering the entire front of the device. Perhaps in a decade they'll market Infinity Edge™ (in the vein of an infinity pool), but not like the Note 8 which merely curves two of the sides over.

This is, in fact, a bezel-less, edge to edge screen. The current X bezels are quite thick...
    Still thinner than the pseudo bezel less S8 with its distorted mess. A lot of what you in the top shot is curve away from the screen towards the buttons so it appears to have less bezels in person than in this phone.
  • Reply 343 of 436
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    Pretty much in agreement.  They can't hide the sensors, like for ten years they didn't have the tech to hide the Home button functionality under the display, and so they chose to embrace it as iconic.  Yup.
    I think there would be less criticism of the notch if it was part of a small bezel but then of course you’d lose the rounded corners and it would look like every other smartphone out there. I think people will get used to it quickly but I’d like to see Apple figure out a better way of displaying the UI in landscape mode.
    It would be easier to produce and I'm sure people would say it's a Samsung knockoff using a Samsung display. People here like to automatically hate anything that isn't Apple but if this was how the iPhone X's chin and forehead looked I'd be impressed.

One thing you also omit is that this phone is LARGER, so the top to screen area will look smaller. Got that.
    A Straight bar on the X would look much bigger and it would not look like that.

Not to mention the lost space at the bottom too despite being a large phone.

Also, this thing has a hcBEZEL, the fact they don't call it bezel because of the curved reflective zone.
    Usable non distorted content is very small on this really crappy phone that I actually used in person and it looks nothing like that.

I'm tired of people producing publicity shots as proof of anything by the way : stop it..

Forgetting the size of the phone is basically a convenient omission when talking about the Iphone (or even the Apple Watch)..
    It matters to the argument and the engineering of it.

1) You're telling someone to "stop it" in regards to posting an image of what I'm talking about to make it easier for the reader. LOL.

2) The size has no bearing when specifically referring to a look. If this was about the size of the device I would've mentioned size. I also didn't mention weight, battery size, or anything else that wasn't germane.

3) You can find the notion of the front of phone being entirely bezel-less, but I don't. What you can't say is that those bezels are huge. In relation to the display it's small, and even if you add in your 0.4" on the diagonal display increase it still much smaller than the iPhone 8's chin and forehead which means your "huge as ass" comment is also BS.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 344 of 436
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

[image]

Yes, and then you got blown out corners because well, it's glass...  The metal on your future "phone" is probably 1mm thick and I don't see any material making it work unless the glass itself is exposed and curved (like the S8)..
    Are you really explaining that the technology exist to make that feasible in 2017? Tell me more¡
  • Reply 345 of 436
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    Wow John Gruber is really harsh on the notch, much more so than other Apple bloggers/Apple podcasts I’ve read/listened to. He called it “offensive” and “a joke”. Even the ATP guys weren’t that harsh (and they can pick nits like nobodies business). 

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations
    I ignore it when guys like Gruber complain. Most of the time I agree with him, but sometimes I don’t. I’ve written to him a number of times over the years, AMD he’s replied back about half the time. I happen to think the notch is brilliant. I also,think that since some people, including Gruber don’t completely understand it, they don’t like it. I’m surprised at his response, and haven’t written him yet.

but if people understand that the “ears” save screen space for apps, and give us that info without having apps blank it out, requiring us to tap out to see it, then maybe they’ll appreciate it more.
    I agree the Notch is the best option available right now.

IMO, its much better than the much larger top and bottom bezel on the Samsung phones.  Or the horribily bad non-symetrical bottom bezel on the Essential phone.

The X gives the impression of a true bezeless phone on all 4 corners and on 3 of 4 sides.  It really is amazing looking.

Of course I'd prefer a phone with no notches and no bezels, but that just isn't possible yet.

Gruber is also forgeting that the Notch is necessary to make FaceID a reality.  Sure Apple could have put less sensors and made the notch smaller. But then it would have to use a shitty fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone like Samsung/Essential and all the other trash Android junk
    I really don’t think Gruber gets this. This seems to one place where he’s being small minded. Apple could have easily not had a notch if they just brought the top bezel across the entire screen as others do. That would have completely “solved” the notch problem in an easier, and apparently, cheaper way. Then, of course, they would have had to decide about what to do with the bottom, with the rounded corners, because people would then be complaining that the top of the screen was straight to the corner, but the bottom wasn’t, and that it looks bad. Samsung uses a bezel there as well, likely, at least in part, because of that. If Apple did that though, they would then be accused of copying Samsung’s design

so then they could round off the top of the screen below the full width bezel to make it symmetrical. But then some people would complain that Apple cut off usable space on the screen up there, and so Apple could....

well, you get the idea.

not only is the notch actually a better way to do things with a full size screen, but it’s actually easier, from a design viewpoint.
    Yeah I agree on all points. Gruber is letting object idealism get in the way pragmatic design decision making. Perhaps similar to the difference between a film critic and a filmmaker. 
    edited September 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 346 of 436
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    Well, the notch basically boils down to opinion. I like it. I even think it looks classy.

It does give a sensation of more screen expanse. In part, this is due to the very presence of the notch itself, which is slightly ironic.

Gruber perhaps has gone a little overboard with his reaction but as opinions go it's just one more for the pile.

Although I haven't touched one yet, and therefore have to reserve my final thoughts, I have serious doubts about the metal in the glass sandwich which looks overstated in the photos.

The camera bulge is fugly IMO but I'm not a fan of them even on a good day. Much less when they are off centre but again, this is design opinion and I might be in the minority.
    When Gruber really doesn’t like something he’s not shy about voicing it. I said earlier I’d like more Apple PR on how and why some of the decisions were made. If you go to the X product page on Apple’s website they clearly are embracing the notch, not trying to hide it in any way. Which makes me wonder if the thought was  the home button was something iconic and once we lose it iPhone will look like every other phone out there and so they embraced the notch because it would make the X unique. If you look at renders that put a black bar at the top and bottom the X becomes indistinguishable from many Android phones. I’m a little surprised we didn’t get dark mode as I think that would have made the notch less of an eyesore 
    I think you're onto something.  The Home button was indeed iconic, the most visible representation of Apple's secret sauce; that which set the iPhone so starkly apart from the universe of phones that existed when it was introduced.  The notch does the same thing for the next generation of iPhones; it's where the tentpole feature's underlying magic is housed.  It may well be that Apple has decided to embrace the notch for this very reason, to create the statement that 'this is the iPhone, and magic lies here within.'
    So in your opinion the "notch" is now a fixed and iconic element in Apple's iPhone lineup for the next few years?  Personally I doubt that and expect it to look different again by the time the next model rolls out in 2018,  but I'll grant that you along with others may know more about it than I do. While we wait to see if this is meant to be "iconic" I'll give Apple more credit for innovating a way to rid the screen of it entirely sooner rather than later. 
    I don’t know why they have to get rid of it. I think it looks fine. Different, but fine. I don’t get the few people who are enervated over this. As I said, this is a brilliant solution. It saves actual screen space with information that we often want to see, but which is often hidden by apps that. Want the whole screen. This way, those developers are less likely to want those small bits, and will allow that infor to be permanently displayed.

i just hope that Apple has figured out a way to get around the notable OLED screen burn in, which still exists.
  • Reply 347 of 436
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    A few things to consider given all the hand wringin and hyperbole on this thread:

1) Apple is indeed embracing the notch, and why not?  They want the iPhone to look different than the competition. The plethora of sensors need to go somewhere. A new design to remove the top and bottom large bezels, which is a BIG change over all previous designs (to those who have whined about keeping the same design for years), means either the Samsung like solution, or something else.  The notch is distinctive, and look at all of the press they are getting!  It is marketing gold!

2) I don't think the notch is going away anytime soon. The tech to make those completely disappear is likely more challenging than trying to put TouchID under the screen.  Apple likes to amortize designs and components, so I think this current notch will be present for at least 2 more years. After that it maybe gets smaller, but still be present for awhile. 

3) For all the instant worries or complaints on things that were not shown - how do I take a screen shot, what about accessibility, what if I give it the side eye - it isn't going to be available for 6 weeks!  There is lots of time for things to be learned, and also for Apple to optimize. Gestures and the like are all s/w.  It isn't like the device and its UX can't improve as well with more exposure. 

4) If you think it is too expensive, don't buy it - end of story. 
    tmaypscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 348 of 436
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    Pretty much in agreement.  They can't hide the sensors, like for ten years they didn't have the tech to hide the Home button functionality under the display, and so they chose to embrace it as iconic.  Yup.
    I think there would be less criticism of the notch if it was part of a small bezel but then of course you’d lose the rounded corners and it would look like every other smartphone out there. I think people will get used to it quickly but I’d like to see Apple figure out a better way of displaying the UI in landscape mode.
    It would be easier to produce and I'm sure people would say it's a Samsung knockoff using a Samsung display. People here like to automatically hate anything that isn't Apple but if this was how the iPhone X's chin and forehead looked I'd be impressed.

sorry. That isn't as impressive as having all 4 corners being bezel free.  And having 3 of 4 sides bezel free also.

The Galaxy has zero bezeless corners and only 2 bezeless sides.

The Galaxy basically looks like a 5 year old Galaxy with slightly smaller bezels.

The X looks much more futuristic and beautiful.

And don't forget that the Samsung design requires having the fingerprint sensor AT THE BACK OF THE PHONE. HORRIBLE.  Also the NOTCH allows all those amazing sensors/cameras that the Samsung can't compete with.  The NOTCH will allow the X to have AR capabilites that the Samsung can't even dream of.

So not only is the X design more beautiful and stunning, its also more practical.

Apple could have EASILY designed a 100% bezeless phone.  By just deleting the extra sensors. But then you would not have the amazing AR abilities and would have to have a shitty back of the device fingerprint scanner.

Well, actually, it isn’t true that the NOTCH makes those sensors possible. I don’t understand how you could think that. Are you really expecting us to believe that if Apple extended the bezel to both ends, they couldn’t have had all of those sensors, cameras, projectors, etc.? Seriously? You really mean it when you say that having more room for them would make it impossible for them to be there?

maybe you should rethink your position on that.
  • Reply 349 of 436
    brucemc said:
    A few things to consider given all the hand wringin and hyperbole on this thread:

1) Apple is indeed embracing the notch, and why not?  They want the iPhone to look different than the competition. The plethora of sensors need to go somewhere. A new design to remove the top and bottom large bezels, which is a BIG change over all previous designs (to those who have whined about keeping the same design for years), means either the Samsung like solution, or something else.  The notch is distinctive, and look at all of the press they are getting!  It is marketing gold!

2) I don't think the notch is going away anytime soon. The tech to make those completely disappear is likely more challenging than trying to put TouchID under the screen.  Apple likes to amortize designs and components, so I think this current notch will be present for at least 2 more years. After that it maybe gets smaller, but still be present for awhile. 

3) For all the instant worries or complaints on things that were not shown - how do I take a screen shot, what about accessibility, what if I give it the side eye - it isn't going to be available for 6 weeks!  There is lots of time for things to be learned, and also for Apple to optimize. Gestures and the like are all s/w.  It isn't like the device and its UX can't improve as well with more exposure. 

4) If you think it is too expensive, don't buy it - end of story. 
    Screen shots are taken by squeezing the side on.off button and the volume button at the same time.
  • Reply 350 of 436
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:

sorry. That isn't as impressive as having all 4 corners being bezel free.  And having 3 of 4 sides bezel free also.

The Galaxy has zero bezeless corners and only 2 bezeless sides.

The Galaxy basically looks like a 5 year old Galaxy with slightly smaller bezels.

The X looks much more futuristic and beautiful.

And don't forget that the Samsung design requires having the fingerprint sensor AT THE BACK OF THE PHONE. HORRIBLE.  Also the NOTCH allows all those amazing sensors/cameras that the Samsung can't compete with.  The NOTCH will allow the X to have AR capabilites that the Samsung can't even dream of.

So not only is the X design more beautiful and stunning, its also more practical.

Apple could have EASILY designed a 100% bezeless phone.  By just deleting the extra sensors. But then you would not have the amazing AR abilities and would have to have a shitty back of the device fingerprint scanner.

Well, actually, it isn’t true that the NOTCH makes those sensors possible. I don’t understand how you could think that. Are you really expecting us to believe that if Apple extended the bezel to both ends, they couldn’t have had all of those sensors, cameras, projectors, etc.? Seriously? You really mean it when you say that having more room for them would make it impossible for them to be there?

maybe you should rethink your position on that.
    The signature design of the iPhone X is the consistently thin frame and the obround screen; the tab, or notch, depending on your perspective, is the compromise to the addition of Face ID and the removal of Touch ID.

In essence, Apple is attempting to achieve the same look as the the Apple Watch, an obround screen with a narrow frame. Taken to the logical conclusion, once Apple can do Face ID under the screen, if that is even possible, the same can be achieved in the Apple Watch. At that point, it will be almost identical design language, and identical security.
  • Reply 351 of 436
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    sog35 said:
    MplsP said:
    sog35 said:
    MplsP said:
    dunestock said:
    Without a home button, how do you take a screenshot?
    Side button and volume up at the same time.
    There's a big problem with that. I can't count the number of times I turned up the volume rather than turning off my 6s because the power and volume buttons are opposite each other. Now instead of turning up the volume I'm going to have hundreds of accidental screenshots from missed attempts to turn off my phone.
    what a tragedy!!!  I know its impossible to delete those accidental screenshots? right?
    It's certainly easy enough, but it's a pain in the ass to go into photos every week to delete a bunch of useless screenshots caused by a poor design. Your comment is kind of like saying it's no big deal that you have to open your car from the passenger side because the driver's side lock doesn't always work. If I pay $200 for a cheap Motorola android phone then I expect that. If I'm paying $1000 for a top of the line iPhone I expect better.
    I still don't understand how you are pressing the wrong button day, after day, after day, after day...........
    He's holding it 'wrong'?
  • Reply 352 of 436
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

One thing you also omit is that this phone is LARGER, so the top to screen area will look smaller. Got that.

Also, this thing has a hcBEZEL, the fact they don't call it bezel because of the curved reflective zone.
    Usable non distorted content is very small on this really crappy phone that I actually used in person and it looks nothing like that.

I'm tired of people producing publicity shots as proof of anything by the way : stop it..

Forgetting the size of the phone is basically a convenient omission when talking about the Iphone (or even the Apple Watch)..

1) You're telling someone to "stop it" in regards to posting an image of what I'm talking about to make it easier for the reader. LOL.

2) The size has no bearing when specifically referring to a look. If this was about the size of the device I would've mentioned size. I also didn't mention weight, battery size, or anything else that wasn't germane.

3) You can find the notion of the front of phone being entirely bezel-less, but I don't. What you can't say is that those bezels are huge. In relation to the display it's small, and even if you add in your 0.4" on the diagonal display increase it still much smaller than the iPhone 8's chin and forehead which means your "huge as ass" comment is also BS.

Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

Moving goalpost, not replying (the relative size makes a difference, waving it away is not a reply), also plenty of deflection,
    The incredible distorted region THE BEZEL, use a real ruler on even this POS picture. I'm not replying anymore to your delusion.
    Buy a god damn S8 and call it a day and then come whine about the distortion.
    edited September 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 353 of 436
    Soli said:
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:

[image]

Are you really explaining that the technology exist to make that feasible in 2017? Tell me more¡
    Please get an engineering course;  I'm not replying to your crap anymore. Promise. No more replies to you from this point on.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 354 of 436
    REALLY? REALLY? People were CLAPPING when Schiller told them that you now can't access your MONEY or any of your personal info without FACIAL RECOGNITION?

Are you still going to be clapping when the government takes away YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN MONEY because it considers you a "terrorist threat" or says you have an "illegal" political view?

Steve Jobs would NEVER have condoned this BIG BROTHER crap, you know it. This is the creepiest thing since the fingerprint BS in the iPhone 5, 6 and 7. Apple is changing for sure, and not in a good way.

I don't want to have to wear a watch that reports how healthy I am and how much money I have to "the cloud." You might as well ask how much SLAVE LIFE a person has left in them.
    You haven't been paying attention. All this person data is kept secure in the enclave chip.
  • Reply 355 of 436

I miss the days when AI allowed posters on these forums to use sigs...

Here's my current fav:

It is surprisingly happy work building a coffin — I do not know why …  I guess: ‘cause if you’re building it — you’re not the customer.  

-Roy Underhill, Woodwright- 

*cough, cough*   https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/22/the-coffin-club-elderly-new-zealanders-building-their-own-caskets
    macseeker
  • Reply 356 of 436
    harrissjt said:

I miss the days when AI allowed posters on these forums to use sigs...

Here's my current fav:

It is surprisingly happy work building a coffin — I do not know why …  I guess: ‘cause if you’re building it — you’re not the customer.  

-Roy Underhill, Woodwright- 

*cough, cough*   https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/22/the-coffin-club-elderly-new-zealanders-building-their-own-caskets
    It wasn't the cough that carried him off... It was the coffin they carried him off in.

radarthekatspheric
  • Reply 357 of 436
    Can't wait to pre-order it. Now of only someone can recommend a lightweight, relatively thin black case with 10' drop protection...
  • Reply 358 of 436
    entropys said:
    Notch when playing video: really? I mean really? Steve Jobs (PBOH) would never have allowed it. You know this is true.
    The further away we are from Steve Job’s death, the less relevant this comment becomes. You don’t know what Steve Jobs would have allowed in 2017 : first, because he “allowed” seemingly weird design decisions himself, and second, because the further we are from his era, the more differentiated the possibilities become. iPhone X is not iPhone 4 because iPhone X was not possible when iPhone 4 came out. Steve Jobs deserves a lot of respect, but thankfully for us, Steve Jobs isn’t the only one who knows how to design things. Steve Jobs was a great man, not a religion.
    sphericStrangeDayspscooter63Rayz2016
  • Reply 359 of 436
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    VSzulc said:
    First of all, that big bump on the top/side of the screen for cameras and sensors is an incredibly clumsy and un-Apple like solution.

Secondly, gestures instead of home button/power button? Really?! Not sold on the idea at all.

How do you switch apps if you're in the middle of a game? How will the game know if it's you're 'Swipe up' to get out of the app or to jump? How will the browser know if I'm swiping to get out of the browser, or to move down the webpage quickly?

Seems like an incredibly frustrating user experience, and very, yes, un-Apple like.
    Stop with the un-Apple like nonsense, it does ZERO to help your point. I'm surprised you'd didn't follow that with " If Steve were alive" blah blah blah. You haven't even physically seen the phone outside of a demo or had a chance to use it,  and already you have yourself convinced its a frustrating user experience?!   

StrangeDays
  • Reply 360 of 436
    sog35 said:
    I consider the 8 front pretty blah. …its basically the same design from 4 years ago.
    It’s the same design from 10 years ago. What did you expect?