First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 381 of 436
    I just want to point out that the Super Retina HD display Apple has been touting is a lesser display than the one Samsung has already put on its phones, and worse, is a display that is actually manufactured and sold by Samsung to Apple.

It's not an Apple invention, and as AI itself has pointed out, Apple is having trouble getting anyone else to even make a display like Samsung can.

I do think iOS is still the only plausible option for anyone because Apple is the only one keeping any sort of user privacy in mind, while Android is increasingly a vector for Google to know more about my life.
    Prove it buddy (that's its worse) or go the hell away. Otherwise I'm calling you a liar.
    As it coming from Samsung, well fracking duh. Now skip along.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 382 of 436
    Do you know how to trigger "guided access" on iPhone X ?
  • Reply 383 of 436
    So why do you have to swipe up to get to the home screen when unlocking the device? Why doesn’t Face ID take you directly to the home screen? Seems slower than Touch ID.
    IMO for two reasons: 1-It forces a deliberate action to turn on/unlock the phone.. Otherwise accidental glances by the owner or others my triger the unlock.....resulting in unintended unlocks.... ....and in case of others accidentally glancing, it would result into unsuccessful unlocks.. after few of which the phone would be forced into passcode unlock mode . Not very practical and convenient. 2-the detection device would have to be on all the time , by forcing a deliberate swipe up.. the detection device will only come on when needed and save battery . All that said.. i think iphone 8 with glass construction and X with the glass and stainless construction are absolutely Gorgeous!!!
    Regarding #2 I believe you are mistaken. Swiping up for home takes place after face authentication. 

I believe the reason is to allow one to review the lock screen if desired. 

I also wonder whether the home action as a force touch on the bottom edge would be a good option. i have to assume they tested it but not sure why swipe prevailed. 
    Are you sure about that or guessing? ... that would mean that the detection mechanism has to be on all the time not very good for battery life.. i doubt Apple would make a choice like that. 
    The detection happens when you wake it, not all the time, and not when you swipe. You raise to wake, it 1) looks for a face, 2) checks face is looking at screen if face-attention is activated as is by default, 3) checks if it’s your face. if you swipe any time during this process it will bring you past the lock screen once authentication is complete. if you do not swipe it leaves you at lock screen.

im certain about all of this per Craig F. 
    Cool.. thanks 
  • Reply 384 of 436

So why do you have to swipe up to get to the home screen when unlocking the device? Why doesn’t Face ID take you directly to the home screen? Seems slower than Touch ID.
    IMO for two reasons: 1-It forces a deliberate action to turn on/unlock the phone.. Otherwise accidental glances by the owner or others my triger the unlock.....resulting in unintended unlocks.... ....and in case of others accidentally glancing, it would result into unsuccessful unlocks.. after few of which the phone would be forced into passcode unlock mode . Not very practical and convenient. 2-the detection device would have to be on all the time , by forcing a deliberate swipe up.. the detection device will only come on when needed and save battery . All that said.. i think iphone 8 with glass construction and X with the glass and stainless construction are absolutely Gorgeous!!!
    Regarding #2 I believe you are mistaken. Swiping up for home takes place after face authentication. 

I also wonder whether the home action as a force touch on the bottom edge would be a good option. i have to assume they tested it but not sure why swipe prevailed. 
    Are you sure about that or guessing? ... that would mean that the detection mechanism has to be on all the time not very good for battery life.. i doubt Apple would make a choice like that. 
    The detection happens when you wake it, not all the time, and not when you swipe. You raise to wake, it 1) looks for a face, 2) checks face is looking at screen if face-attention is activated as is by default, 3) checks if it’s your face. if you swipe any time during this process it will bring you past the lock screen once authentication is complete. if you do not swipe it leaves you at lock screen.

But that brings another issue to mind.
    if the detection mechanism does  not wake up at swipe time but rather when phone is raised to wake....what happens  if ones phone is sitting  on a desk or the saddle in the car and one want to unlock it without having to  or being able to raise it up. (Ir.. being in car saddle)
    Wouldnt it be more practical if the users touch/swipe woke the detection system up? That way a deliberate action from the user  will wake up  the detection and also one wont have to pick the phone up .... 
  • Reply 385 of 436
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator

if the detection mechanism does  not wake up at swipe time but rather when phone is raised to wake....what happens  if ones phone is sitting  on a desk or the saddle in the car and one want to unlock it without having to  or being able to raise it up. (Ir.. being in car saddle)
    Wouldnt it be more practical if the users touch/swipe woke the detection system up? That way a deliberate action from the user  will wake up  the detection and also one wont have to pick the phone up .... 
    The detection mechanism also triggers if you tap anywhere on the screen, as shown in tne keynote. Tap the display or move the phone to trigger the face recognition process. 
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 386 of 436

The detection mechanism also triggers if you tap anywhere on the screen, as shown in tne keynote. Tap the display or move the phone to trigger the face recognition process. 
    👍👍
  • Reply 387 of 436

thompr said:
    Because sometimes you want to look at your phone but not unlock it?  The action makes your intent clear.
    When I want to do that I just push the sleep/wake button. They should give users an option to unlock directly to the home screen.
    That doesn’t match iOS today. today there is a distinct difference between touch id unlocking (touch finger to sensor), and going to the home screen (click home button or force press sensor). 

This is the right way. Using raise to wake should show the lock screen, even if it becomes automatically unlocked via face id authentication. This is so users can read notifications, look at the big clock, or tap the quick items like flashlight and camera. If it were to move past the home screen it would take you to your last used app, which could be anything and thus not consistent or intended. many times i want the camera from the lock screen so i can quickly take a picture. having to use the wake button is worse than simply raising to wake my iphone. 
    I want it to bypass the lock screen and take me directly to the home screen. Right now when I ‘click’ on the home button it tales me to the home screen (or an app if I was in one and didn’t minimize back to the home screen). I want what I have now. With Face ID there is the extra step of having to swipe up to get past the lock screen.
    Swipe up replaces the home button press. It's not an extra step if it replaces it. Why is that so hard to understand?
    radarthekatStrangeDays
  • Reply 388 of 436
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    glynh said:
    So you can look at the screen to read time, date, battery, signal strength, notifications etc without unlocking it?

Maybe Apple should offer an option to go directly to the Home screen with FaceID for those that want it.

Yes they should. If I want to look at my lock screen I just push the sleep/wake button. Does that no longer work with the X?
    Probably not. You just look at it don't you and the phone is unlocked. So no need to even push the sleep/wake button AFAIK. Just raise the phone and if your face is within range/angle boom...
    fastasleep
  • Reply 389 of 436
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Doubt it. A ton of R&D and sleepless nights went into making FaceID & I think Apple is all-in with facial recognition.  Don't be surprised to eventually see it on Macs. Imagine flipping open your laptop screen or sitting down in front of your iMac & voila, your Mac automatically unlocks.
    Mine does that now. Apple Watch! :)
    fastasleep
  • Reply 390 of 436

thompr said:
    Because sometimes you want to look at your phone but not unlock it?  The action makes your intent clear.
    When I want to do that I just push the sleep/wake button. They should give users an option to unlock directly to the home screen.
    That doesn’t match iOS today. today there is a distinct difference between touch id unlocking (touch finger to sensor), and going to the home screen (click home button or force press sensor). 

This is the right way. Using raise to wake should show the lock screen, even if it becomes automatically unlocked via face id authentication. This is so users can read notifications, look at the big clock, or tap the quick items like flashlight and camera. If it were to move past the home screen it would take you to your last used app, which could be anything and thus not consistent or intended. many times i want the camera from the lock screen so i can quickly take a picture. having to use the wake button is worse than simply raising to wake my iphone. 
    I want it to bypass the lock screen and take me directly to the home screen. Right now when I ‘click’ on the home button it tales me to the home screen (or an app if I was in one and didn’t minimize back to the home screen). I want what I have now. With Face ID there is the extra step of having to swipe up to get past the lock screen.
    Swipe up replaces the home button press. It's not an extra step if it replaces it. Why is that so hard to understand?
    It is an extra step if you have to look at it first. 
  • Reply 391 of 436
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator

gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    Well, Tim Cook did say the iPhone X is what Apple envisions for the next ten years.  So I assume, at some time, prices will come down to more mainstream levels once production ramps up to Apple's scale, probably two to three years.
    I don't think so.

I thin Apple is breaking new ground: true luxury phones.

I expect next year or the year after to offer an X phone with a 6.5+ inch screen that will start at $1099 or more.

Apple has to do this. All the other brands are racing to the bottom.  Apple is racing to the top.
    I agree, Apple will come out with a bigger version of the iPhone X next year.  But there's only so far up you can go before you get consumer push back and sales start to hurt.
    I honestly don't know why there aren't 13.5" screen Android phones today. Not sure why manufacturers are so hestitant to go above 6" - 7" screens. Once you enter ridiculous size territory, actual usability no longer holds manufacturers back, and it's just a mad grab for attention and bragging rights.
    Just 42 months ago or so one of the fun games here was ridiculing 5"+ "phablets".  Funny pictures of big ol' phones held up to faces got thumbs-up, yeah take that Android, with comments by the dozen that they were unusable 'cause you couldn't reach your thumb to the corners and who wants to use a phone with two hands? Dozens more claiming Apple would never do such an obviously dumb thing with iPhones, and if you wanted a big ultra-portable screen Apple already had that covered the right way with the iPad Mini (before that it was "just carry an iPad with you") and everyone else was just absolutely ridiculous with those big phone screens that made you look downright silly and laughable...

...only to morph into "OMG the iPhone X is the most beautiful phone I've ever seen".  Things do have a way of changing in a relatively short time don't they?
    No, because the sizes in those memes and from some of the knockoffs are still stupidly large. Neither X nor Plus are stupidly large. Try again. 
    This is clear from the following pictures:

Image result for galaxy note 2

^ hand-brick = unwieldy, uncomfortable, cumbersome, ridiculous

Image result for hand brick

Related image

^ not hand-brick and yet same size of display.

The Plus model iPhones may have qualified somewhat as phablet but the iPhone X is their replacement. Once they can drop the price down, the X can displace the Plus models entirely.

I'd quite like a smaller iPhone X mini with just under 5" display but the iPhone X size is much better than the Plus model and phablets while offering the same benefits.
    edited September 2017 tallest skiltmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 392 of 436
    Marvin said:
    I'd quite like a smaller iPhone X mini with just under 5" display but the iPhone X size is much better than the Plus model and phablets while offering the same benefits.
    I don’t understand why they’re still updating the iPhone SE. Same old case, new internals. Why didn’t they just do an iPhone 7 (meaning the modern case) in that size when it was first released? Now you’re showing interest in a iPhone SE-sized iPhone X; why not just make the X in those two sizes? You’re absolutely right. We’ll have to wait for XI, though, to have a prayer of seeing that happen.

Oh, yeah, what happens next year? No way does the X’s manufacturing cost come down in time to make it the only new model. I guess that’s why they released the 8 alongside it (with the same chip…); now they can release the iPhone 9 and iPhone XI concurrently next year. Maybe by iPhone XII it will be the only model. Hopefully, at least; otherwise they’ll have to release iPhone 10 and tell people it’s newer than “iPhone Ten (X)”. Also, I hadn’t thought about it until now, but I like the move to roman numerals. “Like” only insofar as it’s slightly less stupid than the #/#S cycle. Just calling it “iPhone” every year is apparently too hard for Apple to comprehend, so if they’re going to go with a numbering system that looks like it doesn’t make sense, best to go with a numbering system that uses letters instead of numbers, anyway.  :p

It’s not like I’ll upgrade until the iPhone L, anyway.
  • Reply 393 of 436
    Marvin said:

The Plus model iPhones may have qualified somewhat as phablet but the iPhone X is their replacement. Once they can drop the price down, the X can displace the Plus models entirely.

The X is 3mm wider than the 8 and   7mm narrower than the Plus, also you lose a fair bit of the height due to the exclusion of the top around the notch and the bottom where the slide bar is, the screen also uses the narrow viewport of the 8 vs the wider viewport of the Plus models.  It also doesn't have the landscape modes for the home screen like the plus has.

So, if you like the plus models Im suspecting that the X is gonna feel squished.  I really hope not as I'm going from 7 Plus to X but I will have 14 days to exchange it if it feels cramped like I find the 7/8 models.  Really hoping the higher DPI makes up for the smaller display. ( I attached an image showing the screen sizes, the usable part of the X is lined up with the other screens red=iphone 8, Blue=iPhone X Green=iPhone 8 Plus)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 394 of 436
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,573member
    Marvin said:

gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    Well, Tim Cook did say the iPhone X is what Apple envisions for the next ten years.  So I assume, at some time, prices will come down to more mainstream levels once production ramps up to Apple's scale, probably two to three years.
    I don't think so.

I expect next year or the year after to offer an X phone with a 6.5+ inch screen that will start at $1099 or more.

Apple has to do this. All the other brands are racing to the bottom.  Apple is racing to the top.
    I agree, Apple will come out with a bigger version of the iPhone X next year.  But there's only so far up you can go before you get consumer push back and sales start to hurt.
    I honestly don't know why there aren't 13.5" screen Android phones today. Not sure why manufacturers are so hestitant to go above 6" - 7" screens. Once you enter ridiculous size territory, actual usability no longer holds manufacturers back, and it's just a mad grab for attention and bragging rights.
    Just 42 months ago or so one of the fun games here was ridiculing 5"+ "phablets".  Funny pictures of big ol' phones held up to faces got thumbs-up, yeah take that Android, with comments by the dozen that they were unusable 'cause you couldn't reach your thumb to the corners and who wants to use a phone with two hands? Dozens more claiming Apple would never do such an obviously dumb thing with iPhones, and if you wanted a big ultra-portable screen Apple already had that covered the right way with the iPad Mini (before that it was "just carry an iPad with you") and everyone else was just absolutely ridiculous with those big phone screens that made you look downright silly and laughable...

...only to morph into "OMG the iPhone X is the most beautiful phone I've ever seen".  Things do have a way of changing in a relatively short time don't they?
    No, because the sizes in those memes and from some of the knockoffs are still stupidly large. Neither X nor Plus are stupidly large. Try again. 

How long did you search before you could find a picture of particularly small hands holding that Samsung Note2. I know you were trying to be comical but in the process probably completely unaware how the iPhone 8+ would look in that same hand. Is the 8+ also therefore "unwieldy, cumbersome, uncomfortable and ridiculous"? I would suspect most here would say it is not despite the similar similar dimensions. ;)

-Galaxy Note 2 you used as your example: 80.5 x 151.1 x 9.4 mm
    -Apple iPhone 8+: 78.1 x 158.4 x 7.5
    ...or even the iPhone 7+: 77.9 x 158.2 x 7.3

Footnote: That old Galaxy Note 2 while 2mm thicker than current iPhones I mentioned also had a rounded back so that it helped fit the hand better, avoiding abrupt edges. So "holdability" and comfort is likely quite comparable. 

Kinda like posting this pic and claiming it's "clear" how you look wearing Airpods.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 395 of 436
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gatorguy said:
    Marvin said:

gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    I don't think so.

How long did you search before you could find a picture of particularly small hands holding that Samsung. I know you were trying to be comical but in the process probably completely unaware how the iPhone 8+ would look in that same hand. Is the 8+ also therefore "unwieldy, cumbersome, uncomfortable and ridiculous"? I would suspect most here would say it is not despite the similar similar dimensions. ;)

-Galaxy Note 2 you used as your example: 80.5 x 151.1 x 9.4 mm
    -Apple iPhone 8+: 78.1 x 158.4 x 7.5
    ...or even the iPhone 7+: 77.9 x 158.2 x 7.3

Footnote: That old Galaxy Note 2 while 2mm thicker than current iPhones I mentioned also had a rounded back so that it helped fit the hand better, avoiding abrupt edges. So "holdability" and comfort is likely quite comparable. 

Kinda like posting this pic and claiming it's representative of how you look wearing Airpods.

Speaking of which, did they mention whether the X will include AirPods, or Lightning EarPods in the box?
  • Reply 396 of 436
    mac_128 said:
    Speaking of which, did they mention whether the X will include AirPods, or Lightning EarPods in the box?

Honestly, Apple, that’s just not acceptable.
  • Reply 397 of 436
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    melgross said:
    entropys said:
    Notch when playing video: really? I mean really? Steve Jobs (PBOH) would never have allowed it. You know this is true.
    Aaaand...who cares?
    I really hate when people think they know what Steve Jobs would have done!!! I actually like that Apple went with the Notch. Look, it makes it stand out from every other Android phone in the market. You see the notch, you know it's a iPhone!!! That's good for marketing. I also like that Apple went with as big of a screen as they could, even so much as to get that little bit extra on the left and right. If anything, it makes the corners of the screen look even all around. I like the design. If Apple did what everyone else did, it would look like every other Android phone and everyone would just say, look Apple is copying everyone else's design. I think Apple made the right choice. I think after a little bit of using it, you won't even notice it anymore or care.
  • Reply 398 of 436
    jbdragon said:
    I really hate when people think they know what Steve Jobs would have done!!!
    Steve would’ve liked that the screen is a rounded rect. I don’t, but Apple sure loves them in their UI design.  :p
  • Reply 399 of 436

thompr said:

It is an extra step if you have to look at it first. 
    That is *not* an extra step -- because you have to look at your phone to use it at all! Yes, even with Touch ID you will still look at the screen when you're ready to start using it, and you don't count it as a step then. So you can't count it as a step for Face ID either. In either case, you must at some point, you know, look at the screen. Same steps.

Unless of course one is being intellectually dishonest and trying to find a way to paint a narrative by counting differently.
    edited September 2017 fastasleep
  • Reply 400 of 436

mac_128 said:

Honestly, Apple, that’s just not acceptable.
    LOL so now you guys expect $160 headphones thrown in for free? lawd.... They can barely fulfill the demand for AirPods now, it's going to be a while longer before they're cheap enough to toss in the box.
    tmayfastasleep