First look: Apple's bionic iPhone X with Face ID

123578

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 153
    flaneur said:
    bells said:
    flaneur said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I kind of hope Gruber is getting smacked. He's become, to a certain extent, a "deeply worried" (his words re the keyboard) hand-wringer like Marco Arment. 

    There's a difference between level-headed criticism of Apple and this new style of apocalyptic Chicken-Little "worry" about Apple's "priorities."

    The latter spreads an unreasoned, emotional contagion of doubt about Apples's mind-set and future. This encourages the hater crowd, the piranhas of Wall Street, the ignorati among tech journalists, and could even spread into the ranks at Apple itself — where, after all, the Jobs project is just a shared vision — a vulnerable psychological stance, in other words — of how to force difficult advanced products into existence.


    I like Gruber. He clearly is an Apple fan, but I find his analysis fair. 
    I like Gruber too, and I think he often makes valid criticisms of Apple's choices. But there's this whiney disease that's been going around among the Apple bloggers like Arment or Siracusa that also seems to have infected Gruber from time to time. This is where they make some valid criticism and then extrapolate based on that to a blanket "Apple has lost its way" kind of "worry." (Watch for that word among them.)

    Logically, there's no basis for that extrapolation based on one or a few instances that they're annoyed by. They are projecting emotionally — "worried." I always want to say, for God's sake, shut up, stop being a baby, Apple is deeper than you realize and if there's an issue, they'll eventually straighten it out. The last instance I saw with Gruber was over the keyboard butterfly switch and its vulnerability to dust. I'll look it up if I have to.
    I really noticed it with the Mac keyboards where just recently all these Mac techies/bloggers in unison were losing their minds over the keyboards. 
    Yup -- Gruber's article about "a fucking piece of dust" was just nonsense, since it was based on the anecdotal report of another blogger. Which is not to say Apple can do no wrong, but one blogger's stuck keyboard does not make a crisis in design. Gruber and Stern were bitching about the keyboard a year ago when it was just the louder noise they didn't like. They've got it out for the keyboard!
    I stopped going to DF about a month ago.  Like you say, his bitching was increasing. Others have mentioned the “worry”.  But what got me to stop was all the Trump posts.  I get news notifications all day about Trump.  I hear it on TV at my in-laws. People talk about Trump at work.  The last thing I want is to see Trump talk on, what I consider, a tech site.  Granted, it’s Gruber’s site and he can post whatever the hell he wants.  But he was posting too little of what I want to see and too much of what I don’t.  Plus, it was getting close to MLB playoff time and I expected to see baseball updates that I don’t care about.  I don’t particularly care about Kubrick the way he does but I could take the occasional post about it.  Sometimes I found them interesting.  But, again, more that I could live without.  So I stopped going, cold turkey. I tend to like his write-ups and I think he makes good points and is thoughtful and considerate when he’s putting fingers to keyboard (loud or not) but, man, drop the excess stuff.

    I’m glad this article got posted.  I’m one of the early iPhone X orderers and am expecting delivery on Friday and Daniel wrote about a few things I was unaware of.  I hope to see more of that in the in-depth review.

    I’m also hoping developers come up with some cool stuff for the TrueDepth camera.  Unlocking and Apple Pay are cool but I couldn’t care less about Snapchat filters and animoji.
    I have almost the exact same thoughts; your whole post. Including the excessive hand-wringing mentioned by Flaueur, and the whining/bitching, about the notch mostly, as if there's some magical better alternative out there.

    It's been especially disappointing about the politics. It's not just the topic itself, or even the frequency so much, but the unhinged ideological ranting, usually based on nitpicked theories, that makes it hard to follow. I've been visiting df much less frequently, unfortunately.

    Anyway, I get my 256gb silver X on Friday, can't wait!
    edited October 2017 dws-2netmageStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,971member

    k2kw said:
    cpsro said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I'm sure Apple is pleased that the number one feature highlighted by Steven Levy--apparently the company's current best friend--was a poop animoji.
    I guess this generation of kids will spend their money for talking pooh (and then whine about why they can't afford college) but I'm going to have to wait for a better reason to buy this phone now.
    You do understand that the cost of college has shot up into the stratosphere, right? 


    PS: I didn't know anyone still used MS' Active Server Pages, but if I were to have guessed I'd have guessed a gov't website.
    netmageStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 83 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,971member
    Soli said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    Gruber did get a review unit. He stated that he's only had less than 24 hours with it so he can't post his own detailed review at this time. He also noted that many longtime reviewers were only given a day to use the device before the embargo was lifted.
    Oh boo hoo.
    It's a statement of fact, not a reason for you to make a petty remark about a blogger you don't know. I guess I was wrong in thinking you'd want an answer to @mubaili ;'s query.
    edited October 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 84 of 153
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,756member
    Soli said:

    k2kw said:
    cpsro said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I'm sure Apple is pleased that the number one feature highlighted by Steven Levy--apparently the company's current best friend--was a poop animoji.
    I guess this generation of kids will spend their money for talking pooh (and then whine about why they can't afford college) but I'm going to have to wait for a better reason to buy this phone now.
    You do understand that the cost of college has shot up into the stratosphere, right? 


    PS: I didn't know anyone still used MS' Active Server Pages, but if I were to have guessed I'd have guessed a gov't website.
    College is expensive because most professors are vastly overpaid.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 85 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,971member
    k2kw said:
    Soli said:

    k2kw said:
    cpsro said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I'm sure Apple is pleased that the number one feature highlighted by Steven Levy--apparently the company's current best friend--was a poop animoji.
    I guess this generation of kids will spend their money for talking pooh (and then whine about why they can't afford college) but I'm going to have to wait for a better reason to buy this phone now.
    You do understand that the cost of college has shot up into the stratosphere, right? 


    PS: I didn't know anyone still used MS' Active Server Pages, but if I were to have guessed I'd have guessed a gov't website.
    College is expensive because most professors are vastly overpaid.
    When I think of jobs whose wages vastly outweighs their eduction and effort I always think of teachers first¡
    StrangeDaysadonissmu
  • Reply 86 of 153
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,756member
    bb-15 said:
    The Verge seemed to complain about Face ID outdoors. Any thoughts AI or they are just being picky?
    My thoughts; the Verge was being picky. 
    The Verge test in sunlight had the iPhone X at belt height next to the belt. That logically would be the edge of the range of the Face ID system. 
    After all, at belt height / next to the belt this is testing the unlock system while looking up at a person's chin. 
    But this is not Chin ID. It is Face ID.
    Logically, if in bright lighting, the iPhone X should be moved up to eye level so that the system can clearly recognize the face of the user.
    As far as I know the iPhone X will work at eye level even in bright sunlight.   
    TouchId works at belt height.
  • Reply 87 of 153
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,756member
    bells said:
    flaneur said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I kind of hope Gruber is getting smacked. He's become, to a certain extent, a "deeply worried" (his words re the keyboard) hand-wringer like Marco Arment. 

    There's a difference between level-headed criticism of Apple and this new style of apocalyptic Chicken-Little "worry" about Apple's "priorities."

    The latter spreads an unreasoned, emotional contagion of doubt about Apples's mind-set and future. This encourages the hater crowd, the piranhas of Wall Street, the ignorati among tech journalists, and could even spread into the ranks at Apple itself — where, after all, the Jobs project is just a shared vision — a vulnerable psychological stance, in other words — of how to force difficult advanced products into existence.


    I like Gruber. He clearly is an Apple fan, but I find his analysis fair. 
    I also like what he says.  

    But UT how he is being criticized now for a few comments reminds me of when one of the "in" kids becomes an "out" kid and suddenly gets picked on.
  • Reply 88 of 153
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,044member
    k2kw said:
    bb-15 said:
    The Verge seemed to complain about Face ID outdoors. Any thoughts AI or they are just being picky?
    My thoughts; the Verge was being picky. 
    The Verge test in sunlight had the iPhone X at belt height next to the belt. That logically would be the edge of the range of the Face ID system. 
    After all, at belt height / next to the belt this is testing the unlock system while looking up at a person's chin. 
    But this is not Chin ID. It is Face ID.
    Logically, if in bright lighting, the iPhone X should be moved up to eye level so that the system can clearly recognize the face of the user.
    As far as I know the iPhone X will work at eye level even in bright sunlight.   
    TouchId works at belt height.
    It's the same argument as "FaceId works with wet hand".

    Conclusion: the nitpicking is pointless when it comes to real world. Just like people need to wipe their fingers first to use TouchID, people need to move the phone so it can see your face in clear shot.
    Solidewmewilliamlondonnetmagebb-15StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 153
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,756member
    flaneur said:
    flaneur said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I kind of hope Gruber is getting smacked. He's become, to a certain extent, a "deeply worried" (his words re the keyboard) hand-wringer like Marco Arment. 

    There's a difference between level-headed criticism of Apple and this new style of apocalyptic Chicken-Little "worry" about Apple's "priorities."

    The latter spreads an unreasoned, emotional contagion of doubt about Apples's mind-set and future. This encourages the hater crowd, the piranhas of Wall Street, the ignorati among tech journalists, and could even spread into the ranks at Apple itself — where, after all, the Jobs project is just a shared vision — a vulnerable psychological stance, in other words — of how to force difficult advanced products into existence.
    Well if Apple is shutting him out a bit they need to be careful. A lot of people seem to respect him and his opinions. Don’t want him starting to get more pissy about Apple on his site.
    True, and I think Gruber needs to be careful. Jobs's company is based on a rare kind of psychology, and the likes of an influential critic like Gruber can poke a hole in the airship, or cause others to do so.
    Google definitely has a bigger reality distortion field   The Androidati can't see past their Apple hate just like DED and Samsung/DED.  Just look at Dieter Bohn's initial review of the Pixel 2XL.  Down played a bad screen just because he love's the Pure Android, but Vlad Savov had to call him on it and force Bohn to withhold his score from the unit - it really should have been down graded.   DED did point out that Bohn was ok with some bad photos out of the Pixel Camera.   Even thought Patel seems to be an Android guy I've heard him give credit to the high quality of Apple screen.   It really sounds like the screen on the X is Apple's best yet.   I'm often jealous of the Google Assistant on Android, but compared to the iPhone 8 and iPhone X I think the Pixel 2/2XL will be ignored by most of the public.   If you are going to beat the champ you have to be better on ALL points.
  • Reply 90 of 153
    I’m not sure why Apple thought early reviews/previews were a good idea.  There are UI changes with this phone and new gestures and other things to get used to. I’d much rather read a review from someone who’s used the phone as their daily driver for a week or so. Sometimes it takes a while to lear a new gesture and have it become second nature. When I first used the 3D Touch app switcher I didn’t think I was going to like it. After a while it became my preferred method of app switching and when Apple removed it in betas of iOS 11 I missed it a lot, My guess is that will be the case with the X too so less time with the device and then going straight to YouTube to talk about it isn’t good PR.
    If Apple didn't seed early review units with select journalists just before the Nov 3 launch, then come Nov 3, the internet (social media, YouTube, podcasts, blogs) will be filled with "early reviews" from people who just unboxed their iPhone X.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 91 of 153
    netroxnetrox Posts: 743member
    I am pretty sure the display flaw has to do with the dead pixels on the right side of notch. 
  • Reply 92 of 153
    lkrupp said:
    LOL! I didn't even have to look at the byline to know who wrote this! The summary on the main page says it all: "The new iPhone is the greatest invention since the wheel, curing cancer, improving the user's appearance, and ascending into Heaven all that believe in it.”
    So the only article you would consider to be unbiased is one that trashes Apple?
    Oh, of course that's what it means, because as we all know, there's nothing in between fawning fanboyism and trashing. Anything that isn't one must be the other.

    (Walks away rolling eyes)
    Keep walking...
    I know from reading your posts that you usually exhibit excellent critical reasoning skills and have a pretty low tolerance for black-and-white thinking, so I gotta admit I'm surprised to see you siding with lkrupp, whose primary contribution to this forum is complaining about people who don't subscribe to the Apple-as-deity theism.

    Objectivity doesn't have to be negative. Consider the new MacBook Pro. Some authors will point out both the advantages and disadvantages of having all USB-C ports. Others will defend the choice and explain how anyone who doesn't love it is "wrong." I prefer the former.

    For the record, I didn't even bash Apple -- I poked the author in the ribs for being such an unabashed zealot. lkrupp's response was even more absurd absolutism. If calling him on that is out of line, you may be right that this forum and I aren't a good fit.
    Soli
  • Reply 93 of 153
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    Gruber did get a review unit. He stated that he's only had less than 24 hours with it so he can't post his own detailed review at this time. He also noted that many longtime reviewers were only given a day to use the device before the embargo was lifted.
    Oh boo hoo.
    It's a statement of fact, not a reason for you to make a petty remark about a blogger you don't know. I guess I was wrong in thinking you'd want an answer to @mubaili ;'s query.
    I’m saying boo hoo to the snarkiness from Gruber (and others) that the ‘right’ people or usual suspects didn’t get review units or that Apple didn’t follow their typical policy. He tries to walk it back on his podcast but the snark is still up on his website. I do, however, agree with him that not enough people got extended time with the phone to do a proper review. I believe only 3 outlets in the US had more than 24 hours with the phone. I don’t understand that logic. The two major things with this phone - Face ID and the loss of the home button and remapping all those actions - is that really something you can comment on well in less than 24 hours? With some of these UI and gesture changes my guess is ones first impression would be worse than after they’ve used these gestures for a week or so, and had a chance to start to retrain their muscle memory. So no I don’t get the logic behind so many only have 24 hours or less with the phone before the embargo was lifted.
    StrangeDayspatchythepirate
  • Reply 94 of 153
    dewmedewme Posts: 2,098member
    At this point in the rollout of iPhone X and Face ID it really doesn't matter what the prognosticators of its eventual success or failure have to say. On November 3rd it all becomes moot. The X and its Face ID feature will be in the wild in great numbers and its performance will be judged by the masses who rely upon the device and its features in their everyday lives. Abstract arguments and contrived scenarios attempting to lean perceptions one way or the other will have to fall in-line behind what the actual users of the product discover through extended everyday use. Apple is betting big on Face ID and now we will all get to witness whether that was, or was not, a wise bet. Let the shipments begin.
    netmagepscooter63watto_cobraadonissmu
  • Reply 95 of 153
    I’m not sure why Apple thought early reviews/previews were a good idea.  There are UI changes with this phone and new gestures and other things to get used to. I’d much rather read a review from someone who’s used the phone as their daily driver for a week or so. Sometimes it takes a while to lear a new gesture and have it become second nature. When I first used the 3D Touch app switcher I didn’t think I was going to like it. After a while it became my preferred method of app switching and when Apple removed it in betas of iOS 11 I missed it a lot, My guess is that will be the case with the X too so less time with the device and then going straight to YouTube to talk about it isn’t good PR.
    If Apple didn't seed early review units with select journalists just before the Nov 3 launch, then come Nov 3, the internet (social media, YouTube, podcasts, blogs) will be filled with "early reviews" from people who just unboxed their iPhone X.
    But why did so many only get 24 hours or less with the device before the embargo was lifted? Why didn’t more journalists, youtubers etc. get at least a week with the device so they could do proper reviews instead of first impressions? I want to know how natural Face ID and the new gestures are in every day use. I want to know more about the camera and video recording. Tough to do when you’ve had the device for only 24 hours.
  • Reply 96 of 153
    lkrupp said:
    LOL! I didn't even have to look at the byline to know who wrote this! The summary on the main page says it all: "The new iPhone is the greatest invention since the wheel, curing cancer, improving the user's appearance, and ascending into Heaven all that believe in it.”
    So the only article you would consider to be unbiased is one that trashes Apple?
    Oh, of course that's what it means, because as we all know, there's nothing in between fawning fanboyism and trashing. Anything that isn't one must be the other.

    (Walks away rolling eyes)
    Keep walking...
    lkrupp, whose primary contribution to this forum is complaining about people who don't subscribe to the Apple-as-deity theism.
    In a world where criticism is viewed as the path to popularity, fame and fortune, in a world where it's cool to trash, in a world where constructive criticism is non-existent, @lkrupp  is a breath of fresh air, cleaning the room of bloviating negative nellies or at least highlighting their (very unwelcome) stench.
    edited November 2017 Rayz2016tmayGG1netmageStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 153
    tmaytmay Posts: 3,818member
    I’m not sure why Apple thought early reviews/previews were a good idea.  There are UI changes with this phone and new gestures and other things to get used to. I’d much rather read a review from someone who’s used the phone as their daily driver for a week or so. Sometimes it takes a while to lear a new gesture and have it become second nature. When I first used the 3D Touch app switcher I didn’t think I was going to like it. After a while it became my preferred method of app switching and when Apple removed it in betas of iOS 11 I missed it a lot, My guess is that will be the case with the X too so less time with the device and then going straight to YouTube to talk about it isn’t good PR.
    If Apple didn't seed early review units with select journalists just before the Nov 3 launch, then come Nov 3, the internet (social media, YouTube, podcasts, blogs) will be filled with "early reviews" from people who just unboxed their iPhone X.
    But why did so many only get 24 hours or less with the device before the embargo was lifted? Why didn’t more journalists, youtubers etc. get at least a week with the device so they could do proper reviews instead of first impressions? I want to know how natural Face ID and the new gestures are in every day use. I want to know more about the camera and video recording. Tough to do when you’ve had the device for only 24 hours.
    Beating a dead horse, you are.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 98 of 153
    tmay said:
    I’m not sure why Apple thought early reviews/previews were a good idea.  There are UI changes with this phone and new gestures and other things to get used to. I’d much rather read a review from someone who’s used the phone as their daily driver for a week or so. Sometimes it takes a while to lear a new gesture and have it become second nature. When I first used the 3D Touch app switcher I didn’t think I was going to like it. After a while it became my preferred method of app switching and when Apple removed it in betas of iOS 11 I missed it a lot, My guess is that will be the case with the X too so less time with the device and then going straight to YouTube to talk about it isn’t good PR.
    If Apple didn't seed early review units with select journalists just before the Nov 3 launch, then come Nov 3, the internet (social media, YouTube, podcasts, blogs) will be filled with "early reviews" from people who just unboxed their iPhone X.
    But why did so many only get 24 hours or less with the device before the embargo was lifted? Why didn’t more journalists, youtubers etc. get at least a week with the device so they could do proper reviews instead of first impressions? I want to know how natural Face ID and the new gestures are in every day use. I want to know more about the camera and video recording. Tough to do when you’ve had the device for only 24 hours.
    Beating a dead horse, you are.
    It’s a valid question. Probably not to the sycophants who would never question anything Apple does. ;)
  • Reply 99 of 153
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 238member
    flaneur said:
    mubaili said:
    Any scoop why Gruber got the snub? but congrats on moving up the Apple ladder. Looking forward to a in deep bashing on Android phones.
    Just checked his site. :o Not sure if he’s just being sarcastic or really didn’t get a review unit and is pissed about it. Casey Liss wrote a blog post giving his thoughts on Apple’s reasoning around X reviews.

    https://one37.net/blog/31/10/2017/pr

    There are a few things Gruber has complained about recently like the MacBook/Macbook Pro keyboards and he didn’t mince any words on his dislike of the notch (called it gross) so maybe this is Apple showing their displeasure.
    I kind of hope Gruber is getting smacked. He's become, to a certain extent, a "deeply worried" (his words re the keyboard) hand-wringer like Marco Arment. 

    There's a difference between level-headed criticism of Apple and this new style of apocalyptic Chicken-Little "worry" about Apple's "priorities."

    The latter spreads an unreasoned, emotional contagion of doubt about Apples's mind-set and future. This encourages the hater crowd, the piranhas of Wall Street, the ignorati among tech journalists, and could even spread into the ranks at Apple itself — where, after all, the Jobs project is just a shared vision — a vulnerable psychological stance, in other words — of how to force difficult advanced products into existence.
     I get what you’re saying about the “worry” over Apple’s priorities, especially as it concerns the Mac. If anything, Apple is paying too much attention to the Mac. And his stark criticism of the notch is just odd. There are a limited number of things you can do when you require cameras on the front of the device. In this case, there are no good options, but Apple’s is as good as any other; in fact, it’s probably better because 99% of people don’t use landscape mode for anything other than videos and pictures, and it looks fine in portrait mode.

    However, the new MBP keyboard really is annoying. Every few days, a random key stops working correctly until I turn the computer upside and try to blow out the dust particle. And every time it heats up, random keys start clicking loudly like they’re partially stuck. I had the keyboard (actually whole computer) switched out once, and the new one does the same thing, so I’m just living with it. It is really frustrating, though. I’m typing this on Apple’s 9.7” iPad Pro keyboard cover, which, for me at least, is better than the MBP keyboard. I’m not concerned about Apple’s “priorities,” but the MBP keyboard really does need to be fixed or replaced.
  • Reply 100 of 153
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 375member
    I would agree that including the 5w charger seems a little silly.  Apple packs in so much incredible technology into this device - including rapid charging and wireless charging - and rightfully calls it he iPhone of the future, and yet packages it with a pitiful charging system that was included in the very first iPhone 10 years ago.  

    I guess its similar to the Airpods.  The tech is built into the device, but you have to spend an incredible amount of money to use it. 
    I attach zero importance to the 5W charger. That might be an issue for first time Apple buyers, but everyone else has a drawer filled with Apple chargers. Apple put a minimal charger in because they know anything more is unnecessary. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.