Apple's Mac sales in the holiday quarter solid, beats expanding overall PC market expansio...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple's Mac shipments grew 7.3 percent year-on-year during the December quarter, pushing marketshare from 7.7 percent to 8.2 percent -- outpacing the PC industry as a whole.

Growth in the overall PC market was just 0.7 percent, fueled mostly by businesses, research firm IDC said in a report published this week. The strongest regions moreover were Asia, Europe, and the Middle East, as the U.S. saw dips in both desktop and laptop computers.

IDC suggested that the U.S. was impacted by the "growing popularity of other mobile form factors," referring to smartphones and tablets. Phones like the iPhone X, 8 Plus, and Samsung's Galaxy Note8 are now big and powerful enough that they can handle many tasks that were previously limited to tablets and PCs.

Apple's iPad line has meanwhile become increasingly Mac-like, mainly due to mutiltasking improvements, processor upgrades, and bigger displays.

Most of the top PC makers are still well ahead of Apple, led by HP at 23.5 percent. Even third-place Dell maintained a significant advantage in the December quarter, claming 15.7 percent. ASUS and Acer tied for fifth place with 6.4 percent, each declining versus Q4 2016.

Across the whole of 2017 Apple saw its marketshare rise 5.9 percent from 7.1 to 7.6 percent. This pace was beaten only by HP, which jumped 8.2 percent from 20.9 to 22.7 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Eagerly awaiting either the Kaby Lake 'G' 15" rMBP with this combo chip, or else Cannon Lake hexacore. 

https://techreport.com/review/33042/intel-eighth-gen-core-processors-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-revealed
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Total laptop shipment by each company is good comparison. If Apple wants to expand base than somehow it needs to offer one each 13"/15" non-touch strip "Go To" Macbook Pro at attractive price(13" - $1299, 15" - $1499) with the decent standard features. Get rid of 128GB SSD. Target millions of High-school,College,casual users. Myself looking forward 2018 13" MBP with Intel hexcore i5, BT 5.0, etc. Keep consistent 4 Type-C ports on low end MBP.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 3 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Here we go again with these companies guessing about sales numbers. Until Apple gives us the numbers, this is just speculation. The true numbers could be higher or lower, usually higher, but not always. The same thing is true for the other manufacturers whose numbers weren’t yet released. Some release no numbers at all, so it’s always a guess with them, the way it is with phone and tablet sales for Samsung, who hasn’t released any of those quarterly numbers since the first quarter of 2011.
    lkruppLukeCagebshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I watch a lot of new movies every month or so and Apple products definitely have a lot of presence on movie sets (even in So. Korean movies and dramas). The characters seem to be always using iPhones, iMacs and MacBooks, so Apple gets a lot of free advertising. I wonder why movie set directors choose Apple products as they're always said to be so much more expensive. Are they trying to give the characters a touch of class? The Apple logo certainly is distinctive. I don't think I've seen any Chromebooks, though. I'm puzzled why HP is always able to sell far more computer than Apple. Is it due to how expensive Apple computers are or is that HP offers more choices in computer models? HP does seem to offer some rather well-equipped computers while Apple seems to never vary its selection very much.

I'm not complaining, but Apple must have some unusual formula for computer parts selection that they hold fast to. I might be wrong but I keep hearing how tablets are no longer popular and convertibles laptops are in and yet Apple doesn't make any convertible laptop. Is that something that makes any sense at all for Apple to completely ignore? Why throw away potential sales? It's as though Apple isn't even trying to compete with other computer manufacturers which is their usual way of doing things.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 5 of 25
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I watch a lot of new movies every month or so and Apple products definitely have a lot of presence on movie sets (even in So. Korean movies and dramas). The characters seem to be always using iPhones, iMacs and MacBooks, so Apple gets a lot of free advertising. I wonder why movie set directors choose Apple products as they're always said to be so much more expensive. Are they trying to give the characters a touch of class? The Apple logo certainly is distinctive. I don't think I've seen any Chromebooks, though. I'm puzzled why HP is always able to sell far more computer than Apple. Is it due to how expensive Apple computers are or is that HP offers more choices in computer models? HP does seem to offer some rather well-equipped computers while Apple seems to never vary its selection very much.

I'm not complaining, but Apple must have some unusual formula for computer parts selection that they hold fast to. I might be wrong but I keep hearing how tablets are no longer popular and convertibles laptops are in and yet Apple doesn't make any convertible laptop. Is that something that makes any sense at all for Apple to completely ignore? Why throw away potential sales? It's as though Apple isn't even trying to compete with other computer manufacturers which is their usual way of doing things.

Look at the average selling points. Apple is a minority in the PC space but becomes a majority when you only consider machines over 1000 dollars. HP is selling a lot more cheap systems then they do systems above Mac spec. Though yeah, definitely more choice in how you configure them and what specs you need (i.e I don't need the Radeon Pro but I do need the higher end Xeon in the iMac Pro). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    I might be wrong but I keep hearing how tablets are no longer popular and convertibles laptops are in and yet Apple doesn't make any convertible laptop. Is that something that makes any sense at all for Apple to completely ignore? Why throw away potential sales? It's as though Apple isn't even trying to compete with other computer manufacturers
    I can't speak for you, but I know who's opinion I put more stock into -- techies & pundits, vs the most profitable computer manufacturer on earth. I tend to think their data tells them things the techies & pundits dont know. Like, how to sell things people want IRL to make a shit-ton of money. Just me tho.
    edited January 2018 bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Waiting for Avon and other trolls to claim that this isn't proof of anything and MBP sales must be suffering because Tim Cook hasn't engraved specific sales numbers for each model on stone tablets...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    nht said:
    Waiting for Avon and other trolls to claim that this isn't proof of anything and MBP sales must be suffering because Tim Cook hasn't engraved specific sales numbers for each model on stone tablets...
    No need for stone tablets. Pen and paper would suffice.

Still, here we are in 2018 and all those 'legacy' Macs with their legacy ports are still filling the range. Hey, even the new stuff has those damn legacy ports. Who would have thought that in 2016!  ;)
  • Reply 9 of 25
    tipoo said:
    Look at the average selling points. Apple is a minority in the PC space but becomes a majority when you only consider machines over 1000 dollars. HP is selling a lot more cheap systems then they do systems above Mac spec. 
    Good point. I think Apple's share of $1,000+ laptops is something ridiculous, ~98%! (Not positive about that, tho).

Best.

edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    nht said:
    Probably a large slab are MBAs. Most versatile laptop Apple has made.
    i also note that while HP is the biggest with massive volume compared with Apple, it’s growth rate was higher than Apple. So quite an achievement. I note it has high end laptops as well as cheap Dreck, and it is those, the spectres, elites and omens that I am seeing more and more in unis and workplaces where I would have seen a lot of MBPs in the past.
    People  are paying near, at, or above MBP prices for HPs. I would not have believed that would happen 10 years ago.
    This isn’t to knock Apple’s success, it is to observe that it could have done even better.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 11 of 25
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    I watch a lot of new movies every month or so and Apple products definitely have a lot of presence on movie sets (even in So. Korean movies and dramas). The characters seem to be always using iPhones, iMacs and MacBooks, so Apple gets a lot of free advertising. I wonder why movie set directors choose Apple products as they're always said to be so much more expensive. Are they trying to give the characters a touch of class? The Apple logo certainly is distinctive.
    Apple products have always been prominent in TV and theater going back to the 80's.  I think this grew out of the fact that Macs were always good at graphics and video processing.  When the iPhone came along, Apple's reputation had already been established, not to mention that iPhones are usually seen as the "cool" brand.

Anecdotally: my wife and I are watching all 9 seasons of Seinfeld and it's interesting to watch the various Mac models that are in Jerry's apartment throughout the years.  It's been a long tradition; it's not recent.
    fastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 25
    entropys said:
    i also note that while HP is the biggest with massive volume compared with Apple, it’s growth rate was higher than Apple.
    That's a valid observation. However, you have to keep something in mind. The Windows PC market is a commodity market. Increases in one vendor is often offset by decreases in another as the latest sales or promotions go through. The fact that Apple's Mac growth is out pacing the overall PC market growth is really the more significant piece of news. This is especially true as Apple continues to gain ground in the enterprise market. The Mac market is also a market that Apple cares little about and pays little attention to. Mac mini hasn't been updated in 3 years. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated in 4 years.... and this product line is still outpacing the PC market growth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:

Still, here we are in 2018 and all those 'legacy' Macs with their legacy ports are still filling the range. Hey, even the new stuff has those damn legacy ports. Who would have thought that in 2016!  ;)
    What do you mean? Did someone say those ports would be removed on Apple's computing line? Trying to follow....are you saying because they removed the bulky legacy audio port on the iPhone 7 to free up space for better imaging, battery and water seals, this this is somehow inconsistent to have more ports on the much bigger devices?
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Apple is dooooomed. Doomed. Doomed. It must, just must, made a touchscreen, gorilla-arm inducing, all in one, toaster fridge.
    But like someone said above, I'll wait for Apple's numbers before actually writing that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    One worthless snippet. I commute 120km (roundtrip) into a major city five days a week. I leave and return at different times and pass through a very popular and affluent tourist destination on my way. This means I get to travel with a large mix of people from all walks of life and they aren't the same faces every day.

While iPhones are common, I have yet to see one single new (late 2016 styling) MBP in the wild. Nor a MB for that matter. And professionally the same applies.

MBAs and pre late 2016 MBPs are common when I commute. For work, Macs are sparse anyway but that's because of the areas I work in and should be considered normal. If I visit HP I don't expect to see many Macs and in university settings (not students) Chromebooks dominate, for example.

While unrepresentative, I still find this detail very surprising. Especially the MB part.

This year I have no plans to visit MWC2018 unless there is an unexpected call from someone with last minute problems but the city will be packed with people towing laptops and phones and I'll see if any new MBPs appear in bars, restaurants and on public transport.

• Reply 16 of 25
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    techconc said:
    The Mac Pro hasn't been updated in 4 years.... 
    The Mac Pro was discontinued at the end of 2012 with no successor.
    What Apple called the Mac Pro in 2013 is a descendant of the Mac Cube...
    entropysxzu
  • Reply 17 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    avon b7 said:
    nht said:

What do you mean? Did someone say those ports would be removed on Apple's computing line? Trying to follow....are you saying because they removed the bulky legacy audio port on the iPhone 7 to free up space for better imaging, battery and water seals, this this is somehow inconsistent to have more ports on the much bigger devices?

I think he's referring to the removal of legacy, one function ports on the MacBooks Pro. Because "Professionals" all need exactly the same thing and can't afford adapters or something.

It's still a matter of optimising expansion options on a portable platform with limited space as opposed to a desktop platform that doesn't get carried everywhere.

• Reply 18 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    smalm said:
    techconc said:
    The Mac Pro hasn't been updated in 4 years.... 
    The Mac Pro was discontinued at the end of 2012 with no successor.
    What Apple called the Mac Pro in 2013 is a descendant of the Mac Cube...
    It is nothing of the sort. When the Cube shipped, it was slower than the G4 towers of the day -- single processor versus dual 450 and dual 500 in the tower, and a down-clocked GPU.

The 6,1 Mac Pro was a fashionable guess at what Apple thought the next five years of computer design was going to bring, with ever-faster CPUs and a relatively slow GPU advancement. They guessed wrong, as they got relatively slow CPU advancements, and dramatic GPU gains.
    anome
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

avon b7 said:
    One worthless snippet. I commute 120km (roundtrip) into a major city five days a week. I leave and return at different times and pass through a very popular and affluent tourist destination on my way. This means I get to travel with a large mix of people from all walks of life and they aren't the same faces every day.

While iPhones are common, I have yet to see one single new (late 2016 styling) MBP in the wild. Nor a MB for that matter. And professionally the same applies.

MBAs and pre late 2016 MBPs are common when I commute. For work, Macs are sparse anyway but that's because of the areas I work in and should be considered normal. If I visit HP I don't expect to see many Macs and in university settings (not students) Chromebooks dominate, for example.

While unrepresentative, I still find this detail very surprising. Especially the MB part.

This year I have no plans to visit MWC2018 unless there is an unexpected call from someone with last minute problems but the city will be packed with people towing laptops and phones and I'll see if any new MBPs appear in bars, restaurants and on public transport.

Similarly worthless, blue line Metro in and out of DC is loaded with the MacBook, with a periodic 2016+ MacBook Pro. The older MBPs and Airs seem to be going by the wayside.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    toddzrx said:
    I watch a lot of new movies every month or so and Apple products definitely have a lot of presence on movie sets (even in So. Korean movies and dramas). The characters seem to be always using iPhones, iMacs and MacBooks, so Apple gets a lot of free advertising. I wonder why movie set directors choose Apple products as they're always said to be so much more expensive. Are they trying to give the characters a touch of class? The Apple logo certainly is distinctive.
    Apple products have always been prominent in TV and theater going back to the 80's.  I think this grew out of the fact that Macs were always good at graphics and video processing.  When the iPhone came along, Apple's reputation had already been established, not to mention that iPhones are usually seen as the "cool" brand.

Anecdotally: my wife and I are watching all 9 seasons of Seinfeld and it's interesting to watch the various Mac models that are in Jerry's apartment throughout the years.  It's been a long tradition; it's not recent.
    There are several reasons Apple gear shows up in movies and TV and you got some of them.  Another is that certainly in the past, Apple computers were used by the very same people creating the movies and TV shows.  Editing, design, graphics and other departments often were Mac users.  It was natural for them to put their favorite computer in front of the cameras.  It's still true to some extent, but Macs face Windows competition in many of these areas now.  Another reason is that Apple has been very good at arranging product placement - without paying for it. I'm pretty sure they just give productions the Apple gear to use however they wish. The directors and production designers are happy to get free Apple kit in return for putting it in the show.