First look: Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad with Apple Pencil support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    RonnnieO said:
    TomE said:
    What I see at this point is my stock dropped to day.  Mr Market did not like what Apple did; so, people sold the stock.  There has to be something else.  But wait there is more. I would expect no less than what Apple did today.  It is 1+ year old parts with a long over due software update.  
    There had better be more pretty soon for the higher end.  Apple can do better.  They are over confident - I wonder if the original talent and drive has some been lost.  They have to move fast because everyone wants a piece of their cheese.  They cannot tell us what they are doing - they must show it.   I don't care for the competing products, but they have not left the scene yet.
    For your information the whole market sold off today and Aapl fared better than all the big names on the Nasdaq.
    How about this for a bit of entertainment:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-education-event-shows-company-hasnt-learned-its-lesson-2018-03-27

So, The Market wants Apple, who almost certainly makes more revenue, and income, in K-12 than Google, (sans all that data harvesting of course) to compete for greater marketshare by lowering prices.

That's an unsurprisingly familiar, and repetitious, refrain coming from The Market. Why are we supposed to listen to them; in the long run, they are almost always wrong about Apple.
    edited March 2018 randominternetpersonmagman1979netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 102
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Nameo_ said:
    There are two things that came to my mind when I heard the news about this budget iPad:

1. I know Sammy’s Galaxy tablets are already dead, but I just want to recognize them: RIP Galxy tabs. 
    2. At this point, when the budget iPad packs all these features and performance while maintaining the price tag of $329, iPP pricing seems unreasonable and even a little ridiculous.

At $649, it’s roughly 2x the price of the iPad 6th gen, and I just can’t justify that price gap. I hope this year’s iPP would bring enough enhancements to make me feel I was actually wrong.
    So in other words it’s good news that there’s now an iPad with a faster processor and pencil support at half the price of an iPad Pro.  That’s what you’re saying, right?
    edited March 2018 randominternetpersonbb-15StrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 102
    mike54 said:
    Not impressed. A more recent CPU, but not the latest. Still has bluetooth 4.2. How much RAM? Apple Pencil and keyboard from Apple still very expensive. And no pointer support. So the only main difference is Apple Pencil support (CPU upgrade is a given). And how about a redesign to make it more rugged for schools? I expect more from this highly profitable company.
    The previous generation CPU is appropriate to keep down bill of materials costs.  So, makes sense.

I’ll bet the RAM is matched to the CPU.  3GB for the A10 Fusion.  Apple likely knows best.  So, makes sense.

On the subject of no pointer support, well, it’s a touch screen interface.  Tablets are designed for a different user interaction paradigm.  So, makes sense.

No need to ruggedize the device as there are perfectly suitable cases to protect it.  Why have that capability built into the device, necessitating a whole new engineering effort and separate SKUs.  So, as is makes sense.

Making sense in their design, engineering, and marketing is what I expect from any company.  Apple is one of few that deliver.

bb-15magman1979netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Nameo_ said:
    There are two things that came to my mind when I heard the news about this budget iPad:

1. I know Sammy’s Galaxy tablets are already dead, but I just want to recognize them: RIP Galxy tabs. 
    2. At this point, when the budget iPad packs all these features and performance while maintaining the price tag of $329, iPP pricing seems unreasonable and even a little ridiculous.

At $649, it’s roughly 2x the price of the iPad 6th gen, and I just can’t justify that price gap. I hope this year’s iPP would bring enough enhancements to make me feel I was actually wrong.
    To be fair on the iPad Pro pricing, those devices are now a bit older. Chances are they will be updated fairly soon, putting them quite a step above this budget iPad. 
    The more egregious issue, in my opinion, is the ridiculous price of the iPad Mini. The mini 4 is only $29 less than the same storage 9.7"iPad. So for that $29 you get a bigger/better screen, faster processor, upgraded motion coprocessor, more ram, etc. The iPad Mini isn't even capable of shooting Live Photos. 
    Yeah, probably should buy the bigger one, right?
    bb-15
  • Reply 25 of 102
    TomE said:
    What I see at this point is my stock dropped to day.  Mr Market did not like what Apple did; so, people sold the stock.  There has to be something else.  But wait there is more. I would expect no less than what Apple did today.  It is 1+ year old parts with a long over due software update.  
    There had better be more pretty soon for the higher end.  Apple can do better.  They are over confident - I wonder if the original talent and drive has some been lost.  They have to move fast because everyone wants a piece of their cheese.  They cannot tell us what they are doing - they must show it.   I don't care for the competing products, but they have not left the scene yet.
    Please don’t jump to the wrong conclusion regarding cause and effect.

Here’s my tech watch list, sorted by percentage change.  I own IBM and AAPL.  Both did relatively well in the last session, which was a tech wreck.  Please don’t think Apple’s drop had anything to do with the education event or the iPad refresh. 
    edited March 2018 randominternetpersonbb-15magman1979SpamSandwichnetmage
  • Reply 26 of 102
    What's the app in the dock that's white with a blue pen?

netmage
  • Reply 27 of 102
    TomE said:
    Interesting theory that Apple stock dropped a few bucks today because “Mr. Market” didn’t like the Apple event. 

Maybe you also also know why Google dropped almost $50 per share today?
    And Amazon, and Facebook, and Oracle, and ...  Between the Facebook/Cambridge Analytica debacle and a possible trade war, investors are skittish.  This wasn't an announcement that would have moved AAPL much even if it wasn't flying into tough headwinds.
    magman1979
  • Reply 28 of 102
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    Why the iPad look so yellow in these pics?
  • Reply 29 of 102
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    I'm not the customer for this. I've got an IP Air 2 and my wife has the 2017 IP. 

Still, I'd like to play more with the Apple Pencil but I'll do that at a store until I upgrade in ~4 years. ;-) 
  • Reply 30 of 102
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The Apple Pencil is great! (written with the Apple Pencil.)
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 31 of 102
    I am still waiting for a new iPad mini.
    netmage
  • Reply 32 of 102
    A10... I guess Apple need to keep a difference to justify the price of the Pro. I am not sure, but it seems logical that it would cost them less to only produce A11 instead of 2 different CPU.
    netmage
  • Reply 33 of 102
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    AJ MAC25 said:
    Maybe I am just old, but for me, the magic of Apple died with Steve. 
    I'm old too. The magic of Steve died with Steve, Apple's doing a pretty good job of making the most of things since his passing.
    tht
  • Reply 34 of 102
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Personally, this is a good news for Apple and education in general. I don't understand people who are still spinning this into negativities. I won't buy this iPad, because it doesn't serve my purpose, and honestly, Apple's target is not me anyway. But it is a solid offer for education. iPad is the future, whether you like typing on screen or not.
    Solibeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 35 of 102
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 493member
    This may seem superfluous to many but the 2018 iPad is available in gold. The 2017 was not. As for me I picked up a 2017 for $249 on Black Friday. I have no interest in using the pencil so I’m content waiting out a cycle. But I would have preferred gold if it had been an option.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    AJ MAC25 said:
    Maybe I am just old, but for me, the magic of Apple died with Steve. 
    I was born the same year as Steve. I never met him, but I felt the loss personally and certainly some of the magic in the world died with him. But, before he left us, he burned his DNA into Apple like it was his biological child. So, while it might not perform with the same drama and panache, it is still a creator of wonder and, like any child, it will grow and develop so that it is part a reflection of its parents and part its own person.
    PickUrPoisonnetmage
  • Reply 37 of 102
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A10... I guess Apple need to keep a difference to justify the price of the Pro. I am not sure, but it seems logical that it would cost them less to only produce A11 instead of 2 different CPU.
    Considering the number of different A-series chips being used in currently sold devices it seems clear to me that it wouldn't be less expensive to only use the latest chips in the iPhone X, or one would have to have a reason why Apple is willing to pay a extra for a slower and less capable SoCs.
  • Reply 38 of 102

Speaking of Apple Pencil, a major update to the iWork suite finally delivers support for Apple's stylus. In it, you can easily add drawings, animations, diagrams and more to your presentations, documents and spreadsheets.

A new feature known as Smart Annotations is currently in beta and allows users to write on a document. Unlike similar PDF features, Smart Annotations move as your document moves.

I was pretty excited that there was Pencil support for iWork. I was disappointed since I was expecting character recognition.

The "What's New" screen said that I could "draw and write" with the Pencil, but the "Learn More" link only showed what we already do with the Pencil on the Notes app.

I was hoping I could write a number with my Pencil in a Numbers spreadsheet and it would transform to the actual number.

Of course, the expectation was totally mine. I just jumped to conclusions when I heard that the iWork suite will support Pencil.

netmage
  • Reply 39 of 102
    My understanding is that the pencil requires a screen that is capable of doubling its refresh rate to ensure smooth tracking, and the cost of that screen is one of the reasons why the pencil was restricted to the Pro line. When you do a more formal review of this new iPad, it would be interesting to learn if it is also capable of this fast refresh, or if it’s simply working at “sub-Pro” speeds and has inferior tracking. 
    netmage
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    TomE said:
    Mr. Market never likes an Apple event, because they have mythical visions in their head about every one of them updating every Apple product ever.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra