Analyst's 'iPhone X is dead' memo hyperbolic, loaded with questionable claims

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    seldenselden Posts: 10member
    Not a problem for me. I just bought an unlocked BLU Tank II for a trip to Italy fore $20.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    This made my Friday night, cause it’s that ridiculous it’s funny, the iPhone X is easily the best phone Apple have ever created, and it’s doing great, next.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    clarker99 said:
    The price of the X is not a problem. It is a lazy narrative. It sold very well and earned a lot of the industry profits.

IMO, the lengthening of the upgrade cycle from 2yrs to 3-4yrs is a bigger concern.  Also, the 2nd hand and hand me down market for iPhone is huge. 1 person upgrades and they sell or hand down the old phone to spouses, kids, parents and friends. And then they hand down their old device to someone else. In 3yrs? Rinse, repeat. My dad hasn’t bought a new phone in over 6 years.

The battery replacement for $25 is also gonna impact upgrades. It has been very popular since the turn of the year. Cheap way to keep your phone for another 2yrs. Esp, the iPhone 6 and 6s models. They are still very capable devices. I have a 6 and a 6s Plus that my kids use (hand me down) and closer to the end of the year I will replace the battery on both devices. Boom, 2-3 more years out of devices that are already 2-3yrs old. 4-6 yr cycle.  

Saying that they still sell 200+ million iPhones a year.

While all of that is true, it is also true that the iPhone user base continues to expand, which is generating more revenue and profits in services for Apple.
    edited April 2018 radarthekatcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,258member
    Soli said:
    The increased ASP shows that consumer interest is high, but they could kill the iPhone X like they killed the original iPhone. In many ways this model is like the original iPhone so I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened, but I also see no evidence that it will be completely doscpntinued for a better and more cost effective design.
    As an anniversary edition iPhone I sort of expected it to be a one off, special model, just like the 20th anniv. Macintosh and the 50th anniv. Marshall tube amp. 
    The tech in the phone will end up in the regular lineup of course. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 53
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Although Apple doesn't break out individual models, we'll know more when Apple releases their 2nd quarter numbers on May 1st.   They sold 77.3 million iPhones and had total net sales of $88.293 billion in the first quarter.   In last year's second quarter, they sold 50.76 million iPhones (no iPhone X yet) and had $52.896 billion in total net sales.   Since iPhones dominate revenue, if the average price is about the same, we'll know that they sold relatively few iPhone X's.  The higher the average is, the more the mix had to  include a higher number of iPhone X sales.

Personally, I'm still using an iPhone 6 and it works perfectly fine.   I'd like to get the battery replaced for that $29 deal.   I think I'll probably wait until the fall for the next release of phones.   My problem with the iPhone X is that it doesn't have Touch ID (in addition to Face ID).   When I'm in the car, I like to be able to hit the button without looking at the phone and then use Siri to tell it to open Waze or whatever.   With Face ID, I'd have to either look at the phone or hold the phone up.   Can't do that safely while driving.  

In the end, if the iPhone X isn't selling well (and I'm not convinced that's the case), all Apple has to do is have a sale or rebate and take a little less margin.   Unfortunately, Apple released their most expensive phone at a time when the U.S. phone companies pretty much stopped subsidizing phone purchases.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 53
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Anyone want to have a go at estimating what the profit margin is for Apple for each iPhone X ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Don’t TSMC produce for Apple on contract?

They don’t sell Apple chips to other customers so why would they keep inventory of Apple chips. it should be an Apple inventory problem if iPhoneX isn’t selling. Bad conclusions still move the stock price just goes to show how smart traders really aren’t.

radarthekatcornchipBoonmee udomjit(รวมพล)watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    iPhoneX could well be dead. I have no issue with that although the phrase would be somewhat sensationalist.

Apple never said a third phone would be a permanent entry into the lineup and taking it as a celebratory, one off, phone would also make some sense.

So, iPhone X might be here to stay or it might not.

As for pricing, it is a complete non issue in the current scheme of things. You can price literally as high as you want provided you have something at affordable prices in your lineup.

If anyone thought the iPhone X had legs for strong sales during a full year, they were likely mistaken but if it is finding buyers, then mission accomplished.

It would be totally the opposite of they didn't have a nice spread of options at lower price points but that isn't the case. They basically have something for everyone (even if it means those people buying older technology - that is their decision).

Whether the X remains or is a one-off, is really moot.

Some of its technology will get moved into lower end phones and perhaps at lower pricing, too.

If sales are slowing across the board, that's another story but nothing to do with the X being dead or not.
    radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    avon b7 said:
    iPhoneX could well be dead. I have no issue with that although the phrase would be somewhat sensationalist.

Apple never said a third phone would be a permanent entry into the lineup and taking it as a celebratory, one off, phone would also make some sense.

As for pricing, it is a complete non issue in the current scheme of things. You can price literally as high as you want provided you have something at affordable prices in your lineup.

If anyone thought the iPhone X had legs for strong sales during a full year, they were likely mistaken but if it is finding buyers, then mission accomplished.

It would be totally the opposite of they didn't have a nice spread of options at lower price points but that isn't the case. They basically have something for everyone (even if it means those people buying older technology - that is their decision).

Some of its technology will get moved into lower end phones and perhaps at lower pricing, too.

If sales are slowing across the board, that's another story but nothing to do with the X being dead or not.
    There isn't a chance in hell that the iPhone X is dead, and it was never a "celebratory" model either. That is just FUD. Next generation X architecture is absolutely here to stay and will be updated in September.

The question is whether the current iPhone X stays in production as an entry model after the fall releases. I believe that it will not.

As I linked in an earlier post, the iPhone X has extremely high satisfaction rates;

https://techpinions.com/top-takeaways-from-studying-iphone-x-owners/52639

"When it came to overall customer satisfaction, iPhone X owners in our study gave the product an overall 97% customer satisfaction. While that number is impressive, what really stands out when you do customer satisfaction studies is the percentage who say they are very satisfied with the product. Considering you add up the total number of very satisfied, and satisfied, to get your total customer satisfaction number a product can have a high number of satisfied responses and lower number of very satisfied responses and still achieve a high number. The higher the very satisfied responses, the better a product truly is. In our study, 85% of iPhone X owners said they were very satisfied with the product.
    That number is amongst the highest I’ve seen in all the customer satisfaction studied we have conducted across a range of technology products. Just to contrast that with the original Apple Watch research with Wristly I was involved in, 66% of Apple Watch owners indicated they were very satisfied with Apple Watch, a product which also ranked a 97% customer satisfaction number in the first Apple Watch study we did."
    More to the point, we will have a better idea on iPhone X sales May 1, when Apple delivers it's quarterly financial report.
    edited April 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

There isn't a chance in hell that the iPhone X is dead, and it was never a "celebratory" model either. That is just FUD. Next generation X architecture is absolutely here to stay and will be updated in September.

The question is whether the current iPhone X stays in production as an entry model after the fall releases. I believe that it will not.

As I linked in an earlier post, the iPhone X has extremely high satisfaction rates;

https://techpinions.com/top-takeaways-from-studying-iphone-x-owners/52639

"When it came to overall customer satisfaction, iPhone X owners in our study gave the product an overall 97% customer satisfaction. While that number is impressive, what really stands out when you do customer satisfaction studies is the percentage who say they are very satisfied with the product. Considering you add up the total number of very satisfied, and satisfied, to get your total customer satisfaction number a product can have a high number of satisfied responses and lower number of very satisfied responses and still achieve a high number. The higher the very satisfied responses, the better a product truly is. In our study, 85% of iPhone X owners said they were very satisfied with the product.
    That number is amongst the highest I’ve seen in all the customer satisfaction studied we have conducted across a range of technology products. Just to contrast that with the original Apple Watch research with Wristly I was involved in, 66% of Apple Watch owners indicated they were very satisfied with Apple Watch, a product which also ranked a 97% customer satisfaction number in the first Apple Watch study we did."
    More to the point, we will have a better idea on iPhone X sales May 1, when Apple delivers it's quarterly financial report.
    If this is the question:

"The question is whether the current iPhone X stays in production as an entry model after the fall releases. I believe that it will not."

And the answer turns out to be that it doesn't stay in production, doesn't it effectively mean the phone is dead?

Totally sensationalist I agree but 'dead' nevertheless. It's not about the architecture. It's about the phone: iPhone X.

Do you think they will stick with three new variants (9, 9 Plus and X?) Or go back to just two (9, 9 Plus)?
  • Reply 31 of 53
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Completely wrong you guys. 
    1. If iPhone X is a “one-year” highest end model, that means it can last 5 or even 10 years on a consumer hand not obsolete like other models. I love it.

2. How many killer apps in the App Store JUST for iPhone X? I guess the answer is very few if not zero. That’s the problem. 

3. Still many people call “X” like the x in xyz. It’s 10, not eggs, guys.

4. Perhaps Apple can introduce new iPhone 9 and iPhone 10, iPhone 11, and iPhone XI. 

5. Off course iPhone X is a one-year iPhone. iPhone XI, iPhone XII and iPhone XIII, XIV or even XV should be coming along the line.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 32 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ivanh said:
    Completely wrong you guys. 
    1. If iPhone X is a “one-year” highest end model, that means it can last 5 or even 10 years on a consumer hand not obsolete like other models. I love it.

2. How many killer apps in the App Store JUST for iPhone X? I guess the answer is very few if not zero. That’s the problem. 

3. Still many people call “X” like the x in xyz. It’s 10, not eggs, guys.

4. Perhaps Apple can introduce new iPhone 9 and iPhone 10, iPhone 11, and iPhone XI. 

5. Off course iPhone X is a one-year iPhone. iPhone XI, iPhone XII and iPhone XIII, XIV or even XV should be coming along the line.
    1) You really see the A11 Bionic has being so far ahead, or rather that future A-series chips and other iPhone features will be so lackluster that the 2017 iPhone X will still be relevant in 2022 or 2027?

2) How is Xcode being so well designed that it's easy to build for multiple iPhone resolutions and aspect ratios a problem?

3) This isn't a 5pm speech at Golden Corral. We all know how to pronounce it, just like we know how to say OS X. Lesser known, but still pretty well known on Apple tech forums is that Apple's OSes already know to say it so you can type these into Terminal:
    say iPhone X
    say OS X

4) I don't even know what this one means. They've used increasing cardinal numbers for most releases so it's reasonable to assume they'll continue to do so, but it's doubtful that they'll have homonyms of Phone X/iPhone 10 and iPhone XI/iPhone 11. You just made a point that it sounds the same so you should be considering how that sounds in ads. Can you think of any time Apple did that?

5) You already made the "one-year" iPhone your first point.
    edited April 2018 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Apple has not release an iPhone X RED is in of itself disturbing!  Why no X in RED?
  • Reply 34 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    He might be right.    There is no way I'm spending that much on an iPhone that has technology of questionable value.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I never heard of this analyst. He got publicity with his fake investor notes. When he's proven wrong, can someone fire him?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 53
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    Jeffc73 said:
    but if I could use chrome, gmail, and google maps ... Bring itunes and imessage as paid apps to android and I would buy them.
    I take your point about being unable to change the default apps as you can with Android ... point to them on that, for sure ... but as you may or may not know, all three of the apps you mentioned are available for the iPhone, and can be brought up rather than the default app by simply opening them (or saying "hey siri, open " first. Not quite the same as default, but only one extra step, so not too bad.

As for iTunes and iMessage on Android as paid apps ... I'm pleased to hear you'd be willing to pay for them but you'd be virtually alone among Android users, so ... yeah, na ga ha pen.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Blunt said:
    An Android dominated world? In what sense?
    In the sense that Android comes on around 85 percent of cellphones purchased in the world.   or at least, that's what I think he meant.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Soli said:

3) This isn't 5pm speech at Golden Corral. We all know how to pronounce it, just like we know how to say OS X. Lesser known, but still pretty well known on Apple tech forums is that Apple's OSes already know to say it so you can type these into Terminal:
    say iPhone X
    say OS X
    Soli: A lot of your posts appeal to my sense of humour :smiley: and this also taught me something I didn't know wrt to Terminal !
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The iPhone X is certainly not for anyone who doesn't want to spend $1000+ for a cell phone. That said, I love my iPhone X and can't wait for the larger OLED screen version due out this fall.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 53
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Read this article before panici g about tsmc report. They are actually forcasting growth... but the media/anal-cyst manipulations and fud are making it sound like doomsday... ( when will bull shit anal-cyst be held accountable for spreading FUD. ) http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2018/04/the-media-unjustifiably-points-the-finger-at-apple-for-bringing-down-tsmcs-second-half-forecasted-profits-for-2018.html
    Problem with that, is they were forecasting growth this quarter too, when they reported that they missed estimates by $1B. 

They've got massive capex going on too, while saying that they're cutting costs to keep profits up. I guess we'll see.
    Doesn't TSMC make the A11 chips in both iPhoneX and iPhone 8/8Plus.   How could they tell which phone a chip goes into.      Maybe the iPhone X is selling because people want the best but the iPhone 8/8Plus are struggling.
    cornchipwatto_cobra