Samsung owes Apple $539M for infringing on iPhone patents, jury finds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    rob53 said:
    A better comparison is the GDP of South Korea, $1.4B US in 2016 and I bet most of that came from Samsung products. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/south-korea/gdp
    From the link; $1411 B U.S. or $1.411 T U.S.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingamblastdoor
  • Reply 22 of 86
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Is this final?
  • Reply 23 of 86
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    android should be stopped. It’s illegal copy bad done. So the verdict is the minimal. My opinion that Apple have right to have 1 billions dollars from samsung. Anyway pay attention dear google with new android p copy IPhone X gestures.. iPhone X is patented. And you can’t stop it writing fake news like happened about the sell. He became the number 1 in the market. 
    claire1macseekerlostkiwiMuntzwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 24 of 86
    They made a name as smartphone manufacturer by copying the iPhone, the damages should be more than 4 billions!

claire1Muntzwatto_cobrajbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 25 of 86
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Samsung needs to pay up and put an end to this nonsense.
    claire1Muntzwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 26 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Samsung lawyer John Quinn told Judge Judy Koh he had some issues with the verdict that would be addressed in post-trial motions.
    Yeah... we all have issues with the verdict.  Samsung should have been forced to pay the original $1B verdict!

Either way, this is perfect.  Samsung once again got smacked in the face.  Now stop stalling and pay the damn judgement!

In the end, Samsung still laughed to the bank.  It made billions of dollars off the iKnockoffs over the years.  It's like robbing at bank, paying a fine with the stolen money, and getting to keep the rest of the stolen money.

To Samsung, this is just a business expense, a cost of doing business.
    larryacornchipmacxpressronnclaire1lostkiwiMuntzrandominternetpersonbshankpatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Samsung continues to invest in negative publicity for itself. Just when you think that people may have forgotten about this patent battle — one that started when Steve Jobs was still alive, for God’s sake — these bozos keep reminding us about what a bunch of unrepentant thieves they are. 

Please keep appealing, Samsung. 
    SpamSandwichMuntzbshankjony0watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 28 of 86
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Suck it, Sammy.

Think of the judgment as the convergence of design theft.
    cornchipradarthekatMuntzbshankjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 86
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sflocal said:
    Samsung lawyer John Quinn told Judge Judy Koh he had some issues with the verdict that would be addressed in post-trial motions.
    Yeah... we all have issues with the verdict.  Samsung should have been forced to pay the original $1B verdict!

Either way, this is perfect.  Samsung once again got smacked in the face.  Now stop stalling and pay the damn judgement!

In the end, Samsung still laughed to the bank.  It made billions of dollars off the iKnockoffs over the years.  It's like robbing at bank, paying a fine with the stolen money, and getting to keep the rest of the stolen money.

To Samsung, this is just a business expense, a cost of doing business.
    Yeah $500 Million is a lot, but in the end its still a bargain and the amount of time and money Apple's legal team spent on this is got to be in the millions of dollars alone. Samsung made out in the end. I still think they knew they were in the wrong and were purposely dragging the case on to make Apple lose as much money as possible on this. 
    dewmeMuntzbshankjony0watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 30 of 86
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Good. Couldn’t have happened to a better company except maybe Google for stealing the whole concept of iOS.
    claire1Muntzbshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 86
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    AND HERE’S WHAT NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT...

This was a trial from 2012, covering only Samsung handset models sold in the United States up to that point.  While Samsung may have quickly changed the snap-back behavior and swipe-to-unlock to avoid infringing in future models, it doesn’t appear they changed, or even could have changed, their phones’ overall designs to avoid continuing to infringe the design patents that made up the vast majority of the damages in this case.  And so it’s possible Apple could seek to add later models to this verdict, which would then potentially amount to a multiple of the current damages awards given the way the overall smartphone market, and Samsung’s unit volumes, expanded in the years since 2012.  Food for thought. 
    kuduclaire1macseekersully54Muntzrandominternetpersonwatto_cobrajbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 32 of 86
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    What a bargain! These thieves should repay every penny they stole.
    Muntzbshankwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 33 of 86
    rob53 said:
    A better comparison is the GDP of South Korea, $1.4B US in 2016 and I bet most of that came from Samsung products. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/south-korea/gdp
    theres plenty more in S.Korea than just Samdung...

Hyundai and Kia car manufacturers for example.
    POSCO, worlds 4th largest steel maker.
    LG Chem, a leading supplier of batteries.
    Hyundai heavy industries - worlds largest shipbuilding company
    SK Hynix, the worlds 2nd largest memory chip maker

Samsung Group (the entire thing, nearly 80 companies and affiliates in total) accounts for about 1/5 of the countries GDP.

• Reply 34 of 86
    It seems like the only winners here are the blood sucking lawyers. I would be nice if Samsung had to pay all legal costs at the end, bringing the total up to one billion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 86
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    If that Cupertino tax passes, this amount of money should cover it for several decades.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 86
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    So I have avoided this case for the most part, knowing it would be decades before it was settled.  But can someone explain to me this idea of "sum of the parts" and why that lets Samsung off the hook?  

Would that mean I can make a car that looks just like a Ferrari (but performs noticeably worse in order to make this comparison to Samsung equivalent!) and sell it without any ramifications?  The car is just a summation of parts after all, and I didn't replicate the Ferrari engine or drivetrain.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 86
    I wonder whom will Apple sue next for a design patent infringement regarding the notch? There are so many candidates!
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Is this final?
    No. It can be appealed.
    patchythepiratecornchip
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

AND HERE’S WHAT NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT...

This was a trial from 2012, covering only Samsung handset models sold in the United States up to that point.  While Samsung may have quickly changed the snap-back behavior and swipe-to-unlock to avoid infringing in future models, it doesn’t appear they changed, or even could have changed, their phones’ overall designs to avoid continuing to infringe the design patents that made up the vast majority of the damages in this case.  And so it’s possible Apple could seek to add later models to this verdict, which would then potentially amount to a multiple of the current damages awards given the way the overall smartphone market, and Samsung’s unit volumes, expanded in the years since 2012.  Food for thought. 
    They could, but Apple and Samsung came to some kind of agreement a few years ago to prevent escalation like you're talking about, as a result of:

MuntzgatorguyrandominternetpersonjSnivelycornchip
  • Reply 40 of 86
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    News flash Thomas Edison comes back from the dead to sue modern day LED lightbulb manufacturers for stealing his idea. 
    The iPhone is still the best phone you can buy but it is a mature product and competitors with quite good phones abound. 
    I guess this is about pride.