Apple lowers holiday quarter guidance on lower than expected iPhone sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 294
    Here’s an interesting take. It could happen. Wearables and even Apple’s own TV services aren’t enough to replace iPhone from a revenue standpoint. Daisuke Wakabayashi (@daiwaka) 1/2/19, 4:14 PM Today's news make me more certain than ever of this totally uninformed opinion - Apple is going to buy Disney or Netflix in the near future. Netflix is easier to integrate but upside of Disney might be higher.
  • Reply 42 of 294
    ThrashmanThrashman Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    This is a wake up call for Tom Cook.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 294
    sarrica said:
    I am holding off on a new iPhone and am sticking with my 6S Plus for a while longer due to Apple's higher prices. I'm sure I am not the only one...
    Why not? Still works?? But if you cannot afford a new iPhone theres a lot of android alternative. Nobody is twisting your arm to buy a latest and the greatest 
  • Reply 44 of 294
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    So are all the people who shit on anybody here who speculated iPhone sales might be soft going to apologize now? It was patently obvious once Apple started heavily pushing the trade-in program and displaying cheaper prices on apple.com homepage that there was an issue with sales.

Not for a minute.

Should someone who's wrong 24 quarters in a row (all the analysts and the idiots who believe them) that now finds their prediction come true one single time suddenly be praised for their insight? Or did they just get lucky after repeating the same tripe over and over to the point where one day they were finally correct?

We all know it's the latter.
    Of course, you could have simply accepted a differing opinion and countered with your own reasoned input instead of jumping on posters and labelling them as trolls, shills, idiots and what not. There is no 'getting lucky' here. Price ceilings exist. You have one. I have one. Most of us do. If prices increase in a saturated market and Apple hasn't pushed the envelope on a tech level, something is likely to give. With iPhone, it just gave.

We're focusing on iPhone mainly here and rightly so.

gatorguyelijahgdesignrmuthuk_vanalingamblurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 45 of 294
    jcc said:
    Here we go...the ring of fire song by Cash comes in handy right about now....hold on to your pants folks. Especially you young ones who hasn’t experienced this before...
    Is the new free iTunes album going to be “Cook sings Cash”?
    JWSC
  • Reply 46 of 294
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    The last analytics article proved what I was saying about old iPhones still being used.

A big chunk of iPhones being used are 6/6s versions.

Hint Apple: Don't sell phones for $1500 or airpods for $175... there comes a breaking point when people will start saying no and move to cheap android alternatives for a quarter of the price.. 

The newest iPhone is $750. Get outta here with that dumb s***.

Also AirPods are some of the most successful products in history.
    edited January 2019 fastasleepelijahgbageljoeybaconstang
  • Reply 47 of 294
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    lewchenko said:
    Expect the share price to dive when markets open tomorrow. 

I posted earlier about the ridiculous pricing of the latest iPads as an example. The iPhone is just as bad.  Their greed is catching up with them. 

So unit sales are down, and now revenue is a chunk below their own forecast too (not even the analysts can be blamed here).  Increasing the prices to stupid levels only hurts the customer base in the long run. 

It certainly put be off off upgrading my old MacBook Pro and iPad. 
    It’s down 11 to 146 in after hours. 
  • Reply 48 of 294
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    The last analytics article proved what I was saying about old iPhones still being used.

Hint Apple: Don't sell phones for $1500 or airpods for $175... there comes a breaking point when people will start saying no and move to cheap android alternatives for a quarter of the price.. 

No doubt wiser buyers also held off on AirPods this Christmas, thinking that a revised version is coming soon.
    elijahgbaconstangneil andersonmuthuk_vanalingamblurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 49 of 294
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Here’s an interesting take. It could happen. Wearables and even Apple’s own TV services aren’t enough to replace iPhone from a revenue standpoint. Daisuke Wakabayashi (@daiwaka) 1/2/19, 4:14 PM Today's news make me more certain than ever of this totally uninformed opinion - Apple is going to buy Disney or Netflix in the near future. Netflix is easier to integrate but upside of Disney might be higher.
    I could see Apple buying Disney, but not doing much integration; just some shared services and a "better on Apple devices".
    baconstang
  • Reply 50 of 294
    avon b7 said:
    So are all the people who shit on anybody here who speculated iPhone sales might be soft going to apologize now? It was patently obvious once Apple started heavily pushing the trade-in program and displaying cheaper prices on apple.com homepage that there was an issue with sales.

Not for a minute.

Should someone who's wrong 24 quarters in a row (all the analysts and the idiots who believe them) that now finds their prediction come true one single time suddenly be praised for their insight? Or did they just get lucky after repeating the same tripe over and over to the point where one day they were finally correct?

Of course, you could have simply accepted a differing opinion and countered with your own reasoned input instead of jumping on posters and labelling them as trolls, shills, idiots and what not. There is no 'getting lucky' here. Price ceilings exist. You have one. I have one. Most of us do. If prices increase in a saturated market and Apple hasn't pushed the envelope on a tech level, something is likely to give. With iPhone, it just gave.

If you don't call being right one time only a lucky guess, then what do you call it?

And what do you call being wrong 24+ times? Bad luck? Oh wait, you said luck isn't involved. So being wrong for years and years is what, incompetence?
    elijahgwilliamlondonbaconstangneil anderson
  • Reply 51 of 294
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor

XS MAX 256gb is not 750. XR 64gb is. There’s a range, with a number of models costing far more than previous years, some still in line with previous pricing. 
    80s_Apple_Guyelijahgmuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 52 of 294
    lenn said:
    HAHA! Looks like Cook's strategy of huge profit margins and raising the price of all things Apple is starting to backfire. Now if only more people would refuse to pay these insane prices Apple might sack Cook and put an innovator in charge instead of a penny pusher. Not holding my breath though.....
    Cook just released 2 of the most successful products in tech history.

Maybe Apple should give him the boot and put you at the helm?

LMAO!
    JWSCelijahgwilliamlondonbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 53 of 294
    Apple isn't selling 0 iPhones a quarter..... There doesn't need to be a "replacement" any time soon. My goodness the panic.....
    edited January 2019 yojimbo007elijahgjony0
  • Reply 54 of 294
    The last time Apple issued a warning on earnings was 2002. Obviously no longer giving out until sales data was a tell but I’m still a bit surprised they could be off with guidance by so much. Clearly Cook & Co. were taken by surprise with the soft demand.
    elijahg
  • Reply 55 of 294

The very low end phone with an insultingly low amount of storage. If they started at 128 that world be more reasonable.

When iPad's top out at $1500 or more that's gonna be an issue for people who wonder why it's higher MacBook Pros. 

The entry price points are not Apple's issue it's they're sky high prices for storage and no updates later that kicks the price to many times higher than the entry point. I'm using a 2012 MacBook Pro upgraded. Total cost was under $2000 over several years. To replace would cost me more than $4000 and no way to ever upgrade 
    elijahg
  • Reply 56 of 294
    vmarks said:

XS MAX 256gb is not 750. XR 64gb is. There’s a range, with a number of models costing far more than previous years, some still in line with previous pricing. 
    What does the most expensive iPhone have to do with anything? You really had to reach out of topic to correct me? The irony. 

Read again:

"The newest iPhone is $750."

Literally.
    elijahgbaconstang
  • Reply 57 of 294
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    avon b7 said:

Not for a minute.

If you don't call being right one time only a lucky guess, then what do you call it?

And what do you call being wrong 24+ times? Bad luck? Oh wait, you said luck isn't involved. So being wrong for years and years is what, incompetence?
    You’re such a troll! Go stand in the corner and think about your actions. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 58 of 294
    Oh, good lord.

Personally, I’m not that crazy about the “X” phones and may get an iPhone 8 instead. I don’t want to give up the ease of use I like about having a home button to be honest and I don’t care for Face ID.
    80s_Apple_GuyasdasdAI_liasbaconstangbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 59 of 294
    vmarks said:
    lewchenko said:
    Expect the share price to dive when markets open tomorrow. 

I posted earlier about the ridiculous pricing of the latest iPads as an example. The iPhone is just as bad.  Their greed is catching up with them. 

So unit sales are down, and now revenue is a chunk below their own forecast too (not even the analysts can be blamed here).  Increasing the prices to stupid levels only hurts the customer base in the long run. 

It certainly put be off off upgrading my old MacBook Pro and iPad. 
    It’s down 11 to 146 in after hours. 
    Jeez. Time to fire Cook!

But seriously, maybe it’s time Cook was replaced.
    edited January 2019 elijahg
  • Reply 60 of 294
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Certainly not the first time Apple out priced a product. It happens from time to time and it will happen again eventually. Honestly, I think this happens to every company eventually. 
    edited January 2019 baconstang