Apple lowers holiday quarter guidance on lower than expected iPhone sales

Comments

• Reply 61 of 294
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I Wonder if Angela Ahrendts influace has something to do with whats happening with Apples prices and image of super lux. Product... indtead of value proposition. 
    williamlondonbaconstangkitatituktechie
  • Reply 62 of 294
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    What's that "splat" sound you hear?

It's millions of haters/losers/idiots all over the world having a collective orgasm at hearing this news. Seems they can only be happy when there's bad news about Apple.
    Truly. No one cares but if this news was about Samsung or Google you would be celebrating.

I refused to buy a 2018 iPhone due to pricing. Just as I refused the previous year's offerings.

When these last minute Apple promotions appeared, Apple got the sale but only by the skin of its teeth. I gave my reasons and millions of people probably share them. I definitely won't have orgasms over this news.
    Sammy and Google would be celebrating if they sold this many premium phones.
    tmaywilliamlondonbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 63 of 294
    Oh, good lord.

Personally, I’m not that crazy about the “X” phones and may get an iPhone 8 instead. I don’t want to give up the ease of use I like about having a home button to be honest and I don’t care for Face ID.
    Not a great fan of faceid myself and I have a X. The failure rate of the faceid vs finger id is at least 10x higher. 
    SpamSandwichwilliamlondonbaconstangelectrosoft
  • Reply 64 of 294
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Hint Apple: Don't sell phones for $1500 or airpods for $175... there comes a breaking point when people will start saying no and move to cheap android alternatives for a quarter of the price.. 
    the AirPods are supply constrained so that’s not the issue there. Why the supply is weak is the issue. 
    AppleExposedbaconstang
  • Reply 65 of 294
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    So are all the people who shit on anybody here who speculated iPhone sales might be soft going to apologize now? It was patently obvious once Apple started heavily pushing the trade-in program and displaying cheaper prices on apple.com homepage that there was an issue with sales.
    yes, they are soft but it's ludicrious to think price is the only issue.  Even Apple lowered prices by $100 to $150, it would have made any difference.  Combination of iOS 12 + cheap battery upgrade program made older iPhones better and good enough for a ton of users.  Currencies outside the USA got hit a lot causing prices to rise further. China's economy slowed in the 2H of 2018 which according to Tim Cook's letter where almost all of their negative decline came from.  On top of all of that, the iPhone user base grew by 100 million users in the last 12 months which is the 6th straight year that's happened which means more people are buying and using iPhones.  That last point alone is remarkable actually.  And I think this sums it pretty well;

dewmebaconstang
  • Reply 66 of 294
    I Wonder if Angela Ahrendts influace has something to do with whats happening with Apples prices and image of super lux. Product... indtead of value proposition. 
    I said it months ago. The XR should have had a smaller screen size, pulling the price down to at least 699 with the same profits, maybe even a lower price.
    baconstanguktechie
  • Reply 67 of 294
    macxpress said:
    Certainly not the first time Apple out priced a product. It happens from time to time and it will happen again eventually. Honestly, I think this happens to every company eventually. 
    True but will they admit a mistake and correct or just keep chugging down the same track. Only time they admitted a mistake in pricing I can remember was the first iPhone where they dropped the price and pissed off everyone who'd bought it early.  
    baconstang
  • Reply 67 of 294
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    avon b7 said:
    And right on cue, the salivating trolls come marching onto EVERY Apple site in existence by the truckload!
    Forget trolls. What is your opinion on what is happening on iPhone? 

The rest of the business seems to be doing ok. They have a lot of cash reserves to pull on. That won't save them from a roller coaster ride, short term, but iPhone is suffering. Do you agree with TCs line or do you think he is airbrushing bits? Are prices too high? Is competition playing a part? Are iPhones underperforming on features? Etc.
    The smartphone market is mature. I can easily afford the top of the line iPhone model, but I see no reason to upgrade from my 7 Plus. I think a lot of people feel this way.  Even if Apple dropped prices tomorrow, I still wouldn’t upgrade.  My 7 Plus is great. I’d like FaceID, but that’s not enough of a reason to upgrade. 

I dont think prices are the issue. There are iPhone models under $500.  Top of the line is very pricey, but Apple has nice offerings at several price points. The market is saturated and mature and this was bound to happen. 
    asdasdwilliamlondonericG721baconstang
  • Reply 69 of 294
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Amusing that the 4 or 5 fanatics here with their heads in the sand - those who have incessantly defended Apple's high pricing and arrogantly vilified every analyst and poster who said the sales were falling - are conspicuously absent from this thread. Funny that.

As pretty much everyone has said over the past few months, prices are too high. I know people who have switched to Android due to high prices, and I've held off upgrading my 6s until the prices are more reasonable. I would like a new phone, but not at Apple's prices. I have a 2012 iMac too that I'd like to upgrade, but I'm not paying through the nose for a 2 year old iMac. 

Maybe this will also get Cook to remove his head from the bubble that is Silicon Valley and realise people won't pay these crazy prices.
    bitmodwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamkitatit
  • Reply 70 of 294
    vmarks said:
    The last analytics article proved what I was saying about old iPhones still being used.

A big chunk of iPhones being used are 6/6s versions.

Hint Apple: Don't sell phones for $1500 or airpods for $175... there comes a breaking point when people will start saying no and move to cheap android alternatives for a quarter of the price.. 

The newest iPhone is $750. Get outta here with that dumb s***.

Also AirPods are some of the most successful products in history.
    XS MAX 256gb is not 750. XR 64gb is. There’s a range, with a number of models costing far more than previous years, some still in line with previous pricing. 
    I have to laugh at Cook talking about carrier subsides (which in the US haven’t been around for several years now) and cheaper battery replacements as partial reasons for soft demand. Oh and not enough marketing around the trade-in program. LOL. I’m sorry that’s delusional. Seems pretty clear Apple’s response to lengthening upgrade cycles by raising prices is coming back to bite them. And blaming subsidies or bad marketing on trade-in programs seems a bit desperate.
    80s_Apple_Guyelijahg
  • Reply 71 of 294
    So are all the people who shit on anybody here who speculated iPhone sales might be soft going to apologize now? It was patently obvious once Apple started heavily pushing the trade-in program and displaying cheaper prices on apple.com homepage that there was an issue with sales.
    yes, they are soft but it's ludicrious to think price is the only issue.  Even Apple lowered prices by $100 to $150, it would have made any difference.  Combination of iOS 12 + cheap battery upgrade program made older iPhones better and good enough for a ton of users.  Currencies outside the USA got hit a lot causing prices to rise further. China's economy slowed in the 2H of 2018 which according to Tim Cook's letter where almost all of their negative decline came from.  On top of all of that, the iPhone user base grew by 100 million users in the last 12 months which is the 6th straight year that's happened which means more people are buying and using iPhones.  That last point alone is remarkable actually.  And I think this sums it pretty well;

Part of the problem is the overreiliance on China sales for growth. They’ve never stopped being an IP-stealing, product dumping country. If the President can get them to deal and make some serious adjustments to their policies, things will get back on track pretty fast.

Having said that, the stock is about to take another serious gut punch.
    edited January 2019 macseekerelijahg
  • Reply 72 of 294
    Kuyangkoh said:
    sarrica said:
    I am holding off on a new iPhone and am sticking with my 6S Plus for a while longer due to Apple's higher prices. I'm sure I am not the only one...
    Why not? Still works?? But if you cannot afford a new iPhone theres a lot of android alternative. Nobody is twisting your arm to buy a latest and the greatest 
    Nobody even mentions that Apple is still selling the iPhone 7, 8 and now again the X. If you don’t need the latest model, there are plenty of less-expensive models to choose from. People are focusing on the most-expensive Xs Max instead of the whole lineup. Yes the Xs Max is expensive - one reason I’m keeping my 8 Plus. But it’s not all there is. 
    edited January 2019 baconstangbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 73 of 294

Part of the problem is the overreiliance on China sales for growth. They’ve never stopped being an IP-stealing, product dumping country. If the President can get them to deal and make some serious adjustments to their policies, things will get back on track pretty fast.
    "Part of the problem is the overreiliance on China sales for growth." => Great point
    baconstangSpamSandwich
  • Reply 74 of 294

I just mentioned the value of old iPhones and people didn't get it.

The problem with all these old iPhones is that they don't count as "new" sales.
    So Apple is doomed. /s

Meanwhile people on android buy a new model twice a year driving up "sales" but it's really just the same people. I know someone who buys a new android about every 4 months. It's ridiculous.

So Apple gets punished for making devices that are too good. Apple can't win. Damned if they do damned if they don't.
    macseekerbaconstangneil andersonuktechie
  • Reply 75 of 294
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    One reason Cook listed for weak demand was cheaper battery replacement pricing. So is he admitting that the previous way of handling battery issues was intended to drive people to buy new phones?
    Well, one could certainly draw that conclusion.  My wife and I typically upgrade on alternate years.  2018 was my turn and I declined.  Instead, I had my battery tested at my local Apple store and, low and behold, it’s useful life was depleted.  So I got my $29 battery replacement in December.  My iPhone 7 is as good as new.
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstanguktechie
  • Reply 76 of 294
    avon b7 said:
    What's that "splat" sound you hear?

It's millions of haters/losers/idiots all over the world having a collective orgasm at hearing this news. Seems they can only be happy when there's bad news about Apple.
    Truly. No one cares but if this news was about Samsung or Google you would be celebrating.

I refused to buy a 2018 iPhone due to pricing. Just as I refused the previous year's offerings.

When these last minute Apple promotions appeared, Apple got the sale but only by the skin of its teeth. I gave my reasons and millions of people probably share them. I definitely won't have orgasms over this news.
    Sammy and Google would be celebrating if they sold this many premium phones.
    And now Apple is and will be talking up all kinds of things that aren’t premium phones. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 77 of 294

I just mentioned the value of old iPhones and people didn't get it.

The problem with all these old iPhones is that they don't count as "new" sales.
    So Apple is doomed. /s

Meanwhile people on android buy a new model twice a year driving up "sales" but it's really just the same people. I know someone who buys a new android about every 4 months. It's ridiculous.

So Apple gets punished for making devices that are too good. Apple can't win. Damned if they do damned if they don't.
    As long as Apple puts the health of their ecosystem before profits, they'll be fine.  And for the most part, they're doing a great job
    AppleExposedbaconstang
  • Reply 78 of 294
    Oh, good lord.

Personally, I’m not that crazy about the “X” phones and may get an iPhone 8 instead. I don’t want to give up the ease of use I like about having a home button to be honest and I don’t care for Face ID.
    Not a great fan of faceid myself and I have a X. The failure rate of the faceid vs finger id is at least 10x higher. 
    I love Face ID and would never go back to Touch ID but it’s possible that is a factor. Last year one of the new phones still had Touch ID. This year all the new phones were Face ID only. Perhaps people are more attached to the home button than we think.
    anantksundaramneil andersonuktechie
  • Reply 79 of 294
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    When the dust settles, you’ll likely find Apple stock is a bargain here. The drop several years ago into the 90s from 130s plus happened due to Year over Year decline in EPS after the big screen China bump. It stopped being a growth company for a year or two. That’s not the case today, as far as I can tell. But might need clarity on China situation before a rebound
    neil andersonbaconstang
  • Reply 80 of 294
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    YvLy said:
    Apple is to expensive? Really? I just bought an iPad. Incrediable value for money!
    Hey Mike... the site is infested with these types. How can you say you haven't seen any evidence of it? 
    They will defend every and any decision Tim's Apple makes. 
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamfreethinking