The WSJ calling the iPhone XR a failure that 'can't sell' is ludicrously mistaken

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    I’m not sure who’s more defensive about Apple these days: Tim Cook or DED.
    Nah. DED has made a career of debunking the bozos, and for some reason this upsets you enough to whine about it every. single. column. You clutch your pearls yet keep coming back. Its either an agenda or an addiction.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 77
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    brucemc said:
    tbornot said:
    This probably should have been marked as an editorial.
    It is.

It would seem that most trolls can't read and have a difficult time writing.  Yet believe their opinions should be taken very seriously...
    While I do not disagree with your statement (at all!).   I think the bigger issue here is that both the media and its readers have stopped making a distinction between news and opinion.   There used to be a wall between the two ("a beautiful wall!  The best wall!" -- oh! sorry!  I got distracted!):   The media was mostly print media and the front page was restricted to news only and opinions were restricted to the editorial page.  The distinction was clear.

It was a case of the the front page would report:   "He stated....", or "He Did..."
    And the editorial/opinion page would then interpret Why he said it or did it and what the ramifications were.

But now it seems to be largely all rolled up into one.

Yes, we had the "6:00 news" -- but that was tightly regulated by the FCC to insure that the TV stations (using public airwaves) provided a minimum quantity of news and that the news was, to the best extent possible, accurate and honestly reported.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 77
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sacto joe said:

Actually, although the writer clearly doesn't understand her subject matter, I'm glad to see these stories:
    They help take Apple down off its pedestal so that they get back to focusing on creating great products that make people's lives better -- instead of always striving for a mark to be always growing, always climbing and always better than any competitor -- regardless of who the competitor is or what they do.

That's a mountain built on pride that is a lot easier to climb than to stand on top of.
    Now they can get back to just making great products and services.
    Oh, please, George. Apple has ALWAYS focused "on creating great products that make people's lives better". If you don't know that, you don't know Apple.
    Exactly. The notion that they don’t is absurd. The notion that they need negative press to take them off their pedestal is likewise absurd as the press has always been negative to Apple. 
    Yes, it is absurd.   But then, I never said that or meant to imply it. 
    His lack of understanding doesn't make what I said wrong.  It was not about what Apple did - but about the expectations placed on them by others as well as the focus of having to be always better than the competition rather than simply building the best product that they could build.

Steve never had to face that mountain of perceived infallibility and perfection.  He simply made great products.   Tim has made great products too -- but has always stood on that knife edge of either total success or total failure.   He has never had that middle ground of simply being allowed to focus on product and doing the right things -- rather than meeting the expectations of others and maintaining Apple's status as King of the Hill.

For Apple, a mediocre product or a mediocre revenue year is perceived as a disastrous failure.  I am happy to see that era (hopefully) at an end.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sacto joe said:

Actually, although the writer clearly doesn't understand her subject matter, I'm glad to see these stories:
    They help take Apple down off its pedestal so that they get back to focusing on creating great products that make people's lives better -- instead of always striving for a mark to be always growing, always climbing and always better than any competitor -- regardless of who the competitor is or what they do.

That's a mountain built on pride that is a lot easier to climb than to stand on top of.
    Oh, please, George. Apple has ALWAYS focused "on creating great products that make people's lives better". If you don't know that, you don't know Apple.
    Exactly. The notion that they don’t is absurd. The notion that they need negative press to take them off their pedestal is likewise absurd as the press has always been negative to Apple. 
    I've always perceived it differently, that Apple in general gets a LOT of favorable press, and not without good reason. 
    Even when the news is negative they often have a way of working it to their advantage. IMO they are masters of the media. 

This opinion is pretty close to mine and the way I see it.
    https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Apple-get-more-media-coverage-than-any-other-company
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 65 of 77
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tbornot said:
    It is.

brucemc said:
    tbornot said:
    It is.

It would seem that most trolls can't read and have a difficult time writing.  Yet believe their opinions should be taken very seriously...
    Its not labeled in the AppleInsider App and you probably don’t see “Editorial” if you access it from a push Notification.   But most know DED does Editorials not journalism news stories.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 77
    k2kw said:
    tbornot said:
    It is.

brucemc said:
    tbornot said:
    It is.

Its not labeled in the AppleInsider App and you probably don’t see “Editorial” if you access it from a push Notification.   But most know DED does Editorials not journalism news stories.
    Well you're correct. I assumed it was one but the article is not tagged as such in the forums so it's not unreasonable that a more casual visitor might not pick up on that right away. Thanks for pointing it out, I'd never noticed. 
  • Reply 67 of 77
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Although a bit large and bulky with the case I got, the XR is the best iPhone I've had to date! I never thought moving away from the Home button would bring such joy. The gestures feel so so so natural, I find it awkward using my old SE with the Home button.

I hope Apple has the wisdom to release a new SE using the XR screen design.
    "I hope Apple has the wisdom to release a new SE using the XR screen design."

That would be cool
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 77
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    TomE said:
    The Xr is the best selling iPhone.  It outsells the others.
    I suspect the Xr outsells all other smartphones.  Where is the failure ?
    I would like an iPhone XR Mini as mentioned above, but perhaps one day . . . just not today.  Or an Apple Communications device that will easily fit my hand and pocket.  They will get there on all our wishes, but not over night.  It is impossible / not practical to ship everything at once.  

CES will be interesting - NonApple companies will be taking their best shot.

"Where is the failure ?" => The failure being that the XR did not sell according to Apple's expectations.  But a lot of that is due to external forces Apple has no control over, so....
  • Reply 69 of 77
    pk22901pk22901 Posts: 153member
    sacto joe said:
    The bottom line here is that analysts have to blame the restatement of earnings on something, so the false meme is that it's the lack of demand for the XR.
    Not true!

"The bottom line here is that analysts have to [demonstrate their uncanny ability to see the "truth"], so the false meme is that it's the lack of demand for the XR[, a good days work if your 'truth' gets viral status].

WSJ 'analysts' have to write something 'convincing' enough for people to buy subscriptions; it's their job.

Just as Sports Illustrated journalists are paid for their clever truthiness about the Alabama/Clemson game.

• Reply 70 of 77
    ulriculric Posts: 5member
    dkhaley said:
    What makes your journalistic credentials better than Ms. Kubota's? You also criticize Joanna Stern, who is a seasoned reporter. I would caution anyone against blindly dismissing their reporting.
    This was not mentioned anywhere other than by DED here on AI.  This is analysis, as is the rest of this piece:

”Apple's September quarter posted revenues of $62.9 billion, up 19.6 percent YoY. If you combine this with Apple's revised guidance for the December quarter, Apple's second half of calendar year 2018 will have generated a total of $146.9 billion, compared to $140.9 billion last year, an overall increase of 4.25 percent. ”

And if you read the article you’ll see why this is significant.  Why is it that this straight-forward analysis was not presented by anyone else?  It cuts right to the heart of the matter and is not mere opinion.  It’s simple math that provides true insight.  

I know what you're saying but you're getting caught up in spin. Nobody compares two quarters against another two quarters, that's why you won't find the 4.25% number anywhere.  It's not a number anyone would use, not even Apple.   But anyway, that is not the WSJ story and not what people are freaking about. It's the second quarter in a row that Apple lowers guidance, Apple is usually conservative in estimates, and that guidance was made with the plan that the iPhone XR was going to be the drive for growth China, and the numbers show that it wasn't.  The current growth is just normal growth, and the growth is decelerating.  And the iPhone XR is more expensive so they don't need to sell as many to make the numbers.  That's why the article says the iPhone XR is failing.  It doesn't mean the revenue growth went to zero or negative.  Apple still growing revenue organically year over year is not a counter-argument to saying the XR isn't doing the job Apple was expecting it to do. 
    avon b7gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 71 of 77
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    mattinoz said:
    jdgaz said:
    Just wish there were an XR mini. Size of XS or smaller.
    I doubt you're alone in that wish. Guy at Apple store did admit he did a lot of people look closely at the Xr then pull out there old iPhone and compare the size then walk away.
    I mean the colours are so well done and compared to the Xs if they could get the size smaller than the Xs they would have a winner.

I might sell a kidney if they made an SE with an edge-to-edge screen X-style.
    GeorgeBMacmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    gatorguy said:
    k2kw said:
    tbornot said:
    It is.

brucemc said:
    tbornot said:
    It is.

Well you're correct. I assumed it was one but the article is not tagged as such in the forums so it's not unreasonable that a more casual visitor might not pick up on that right away. Thanks for pointing it out, I'd never noticed. 
    The more casual readers come through the homepage.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    k2kw said:
    tbornot said:
    It is.

brucemc said:
    tbornot said:
    It is.

The more casual readers come through the homepage.
    True
  • Reply 74 of 77
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    ulric said:
    dkhaley said:
    What makes your journalistic credentials better than Ms. Kubota's? You also criticize Joanna Stern, who is a seasoned reporter. I would caution anyone against blindly dismissing their reporting.
    This was not mentioned anywhere other than by DED here on AI.  This is analysis, as is the rest of this piece:

”Apple's September quarter posted revenues of $62.9 billion, up 19.6 percent YoY. If you combine this with Apple's revised guidance for the December quarter, Apple's second half of calendar year 2018 will have generated a total of $146.9 billion, compared to $140.9 billion last year, an overall increase of 4.25 percent. ”

And if you read the article you’ll see why this is significant.  Why is it that this straight-forward analysis was not presented by anyone else?  It cuts right to the heart of the matter and is not mere opinion.  It’s simple math that provides true insight.  

I know what you're saying but you're getting caught up in spin. Nobody compares two quarters against another two quarters, that's why you won't find the 4.25% number anywhere.  It's not a number anyone would use, not even Apple.   But anyway, that is not the WSJ story and not what people are freaking about. It's the second quarter in a row that Apple lowers guidance, Apple is usually conservative in estimates, and that guidance was made with the plan that the iPhone XR was going to be the drive for growth China, and the numbers show that it wasn't.  The current growth is just normal growth, and the growth is decelerating.  And the iPhone XR is more expensive so they don't need to sell as many to make the numbers.  That's why the article says the iPhone XR is failing.  It doesn't mean the revenue growth went to zero or negative.  Apple still growing revenue organically year over year is not a counter-argument to saying the XR isn't doing the job Apple was expecting it to do. 
    It’s pure conjecture on your part to assert that the Xr was intended by Apple to drive growth in China.  

And it’s not spin to look at the reality that Tim Cook himself alluded to in his recent interview regarding launch timing of the X versus the XS/XS Max.  That’s precisely the type of deeper analysis that sheds light and provides insight.   Nobody compares two quarters to two quarters?  It’s does all the time.  Trailing six and nine month comparisons are common.  We do it all the time for investors in my company (Timetrade, still private or I’d show you our financial reporting).  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 77
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    sacto joe said:

You need to reread my post.   What I said -- and what you said I said are quite different.

The truth is:  they got trapped trying to meet expectations.  I neither said nor implied that they didn't make great products.   Just that the expectations created a distraction -- everything they did had to be bigger and better or it was a failure.   The expectations that were placed on them left them with no middle ground to work from.  Now that we know they're human, they can get back to the basics that they do so well.

Hmm, bigger and better?  Apple has long been criticized for making their phones slimmer, with smaller batteries.  How is that bigger, or better (than phones with larger batteries, which some seem to equate to better, but I don’t, but then I kinda have an environmentalist/conservatist bent).  

Sometimes I don’t understand the thinking of some posters.  They want this, they want that, and this and that are often in diametric opposition.  Like, you want Apple to just make great products, but complain that Apple has been focusing on being better than their competition.  Hmm.  
    No, you didn't understand.   "Bigger & better" is a phrase, similar to "new & improved".  You took "bigger" in the literal sense and got stuck -- which caused you miss the point:  "Expectations" placed on them of "bigger & better", "new and improved" and, well, perfection -- where only something truly exceptional could meet the expectations -- year after year after year.  So, I'll repeat:

The expectations that were placed on them left them with no middle ground to work from.  If it wasn't exceptional it was a failure.  Now that we know they're human, they can get back to the basics that they do so well.
    I chose to go that route in my reply because your assertion was unfounded and speculative.  It did not warrant serious consideration.  But thanks for playing.  
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 77
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    cornchip said:
    mattinoz said:
    jdgaz said:
    Just wish there were an XR mini. Size of XS or smaller.
    I doubt you're alone in that wish. Guy at Apple store did admit he did a lot of people look closely at the Xr then pull out there old iPhone and compare the size then walk away.
    I mean the colours are so well done and compared to the Xs if they could get the size smaller than the Xs they would have a winner.

I might sell a kidney if they made an SE with an edge-to-edge screen X-style.
    Assuming standard screen size price difference and maybe a slight price drop to spur demand.
    Could be $599 or exactly the same price as the orginal iPhone 8Gb hardly Kidney level pricing. 

Apple should really take this moment in his regear how storage effects prices as well to restore value preception. 
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra