Editorial: CBC again attacks Apple's repair policies, but still lacks knowledge of how it ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    No one is suggesting that Apple should do data recovery.
    No one is suggesting that Apple shouldn't be allowed to censor their own support forum.

But if you're going to censor it, you GOTTA OWN IT.  Only APPLE can delete forum posts at Apple Support Community.  Only APPLE can ban users.  The APPLE SUPPORT COMMUNITY is an APPLE OWNED and APPLE MODERATED forum.

They delete posts that merely say "hey, wet phones can be brought back to life, look around for someone"  They choose to delete those, but leave "There is no hope"  That is NOT OKAY.   

Apple Insider--when someone shines a light on that--be human.  Admit--that this is absolutely NOT OKAY.  They choose to do it, so they gotta OWN IT.  There is no defense here.

Lastly--I'm a mom who learned how to fix iPhones, I'm not a unicorn.  Neither is Louis.  I have trained over 400 students to microsolder and do board repair.  There are plenty of people out there who can do this work affordably and with good success.   Apple should not have a problem advising people to just look around a bit with no guarantee or endorsement.  They should not be recommending prohibitively expensive $2000+ services that also buy our supplies and  learn from our videos like the rest of the mom and pops, and they should not ever be telling people that hardware repair is "impossible"

Oh, and both you and CBC are FLAT OUT WRONG when you both claim Apple doesn't offer support in directing customers to third-party options for data recovery that Apple themselves cannot perform. I've PERSONALLY gone to Apple Stores in my area on behalf of my users with their devices seeking assistance, and was told, in each event data recovery was needed, that they cannot do it, but third-party options are available, but cannot be guaranteed. So I would advise you, and the CBC, to retract that bogus claim.

I'd argue that directing a typical user to a 'data recovery service' that starts at $2000 is the practical equivalent of saying "not possible"  But that's not the point.

The point is the Apple-owned, and Apple-moderated Apple Support Community Forum IS THE online support arm of Apple, Inc who makes the device.   It absolutely appears to be an authority on iPhone Hardware Repair because....IT'S APPLE. 

And as late as TODAY, Apple employees are STILL deleting forum posts that simply suggest getting an iPhone repaired enough to turn on and back up the data, without providing ANY alternatives for data recovery.   Here, you can watch this happen LIVE TODAY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8n13l-idWg

edited April 2019 loquiturmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 91
    No one is suggesting that Apple shouldn't be allowed to censor their own support forum.

But if you're going to censor it, you GOTTA OWN IT.  Only APPLE can delete forum posts at Apple Support Community.  Only APPLE can ban users.  The APPLE SUPPORT COMMUNITY is an APPLE OWNED and APPLE MODERATED forum.

They delete posts that merely say "hey, wet phones can be brought back to life, look around for someone"  They choose to delete those, but leave "There is no hope"  That is NOT OKAY.&"
    Specifically, the Apple support community is Apple-owned, but volunteer-moderated. The moderators aren't all Apple employees, and not even a large percentage of them are Apple folks.
    <
    Except that...this isn't true. Apple Support Community has a ton of laypeople forum 'regulars' but they don't have the authority to delete posts or ban users. ONLY APPLE EMPLOYEES are moderators. And stop being a jerk to CBC here. They did a great piece here and every word of what they presented was the truth. Here's a starting place to look up the role of Apple employees within the Apple Support Community Forum. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5011235
    This post doesn't say what you think it does. I never said that there were no Apple employees moderating the threads. My post above that you quoted is pretty clear.

Again, my problem is not with you. It never has been. CBC's problem here, and in the last time they did a video about Apple repair, is omission in the interest of riling up folks. They cherry-pick a single response that they get from an Apple support person, and extend it across the entirety of Apple service with a wide brush. This isn't the first time. 

I have been in your shoes, and done circuit-level repair, as I have stated many, many times before. I have also been Apple authorized. Neither time, did I didn't care for when third-party repairers got painted with a "you all suck" brush. You shouldn't be happy that CBC is doing that to somebody else.
    You said that users can moderate the threads.  They can't.  Only Apple can delete comments and ban users.   I know this to be true because this forum stuff has been *really* unfair for years.  I have donated huge swaths of time typing out answers there trying to help people recognize common hardware issues.  When this work is deleted, I felt wronged and invested significant time researching how the forum works exactly, including figuring out the exact role of the community hosts vs non-Apple forum regulars.   My link above was a jumping off point--if you're interested, I'd be happy to expand privately.   I can't comment on previous work, but in this case--CBC nailed it.  

loquiturmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 91
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator

They delete posts that merely say "hey, wet phones can be brought back to life, look around for someone"  They choose to delete those, but leave "There is no hope"  That is NOT OKAY.&"
    Specifically, the Apple support community is Apple-owned, but volunteer-moderated. The moderators aren't all Apple employees, and not even a large percentage of them are Apple folks.
    <
    Except that...this isn't true. Apple Support Community has a ton of laypeople forum 'regulars' but they don't have the authority to delete posts or ban users. ONLY APPLE EMPLOYEES are moderators. And stop being a jerk to CBC here. They did a great piece here and every word of what they presented was the truth. Here's a starting place to look up the role of Apple employees within the Apple Support Community Forum. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5011235
    This post doesn't say what you think it does. I never said that there were no Apple employees moderating the threads. My post above that you quoted is pretty clear.

Again, my problem is not with you. It never has been. CBC's problem here, and in the last time they did a video about Apple repair, is omission in the interest of riling up folks. They cherry-pick a single response that they get from an Apple support person, and extend it across the entirety of Apple service with a wide brush. This isn't the first time. 

I have been in your shoes, and done circuit-level repair, as I have stated many, many times before. I have also been Apple authorized. Neither time, did I didn't care for when third-party repairers got painted with a "you all suck" brush. You shouldn't be happy that CBC is doing that to somebody else.
    You said that users can moderate the threads.  They can't.  Only Apple can delete comments and ban users.   I know this to be true because this forum stuff has been *really* unfair for years.  I have donated huge swaths of time typing out answers there trying to help people recognize common hardware issues.  When this work is deleted, I felt wronged and invested significant time researching how the forum works exactly, including figuring out the exact role of the community hosts vs non-Apple forum regulars.   My link above was a jumping off point--if you're interested, I'd be happy to expand privately.   I can't comment on previous work, but in this case--CBC nailed it.  

The forums are a red herring, in this case. Charitably, they are peripherally relevant, but neither it, nor the single response they got from Apple Support, is any kind of due diligence or proof of a system-wide problem. You're welcome to believe that CBC "nailed it," but my opinion differs, and I can and will comment on previous works.

I'd be happy to have a private conversation. My email is linked in the byline of the piece on the main page, but I can't promise a response tonight.
    edited April 2019 StrangeDaysroundaboutnow
  • Reply 24 of 91
    sully54 said:
    I used to work at the Genius Bar. We would give customers options for recovering their data through third part companies.

At at the end of the day though, it’s your data so take responsibility for it. You don’t need to be an expert if technology to know that a photo you take on any phone needs a backup. Paradigms haven’t changed since the days of film cameras. 

As a canadian, I apologies to the rest of the world for this kind of misinformation from our public broadcaster. 
    I can second this. I accompanied my brother to a Genius Bar appointment where third-party data recovery was presented as an option. They even gave him a sheet of paper listing a few companies they suggested and mentioned that at least two of them would give us a discount because of the Apple referral. I don’t remember which company he went with but the cost was nowhere near $2000 that is being thrown about in other posts. It was significantly lower, somewhere between $500 and $700.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 25 of 91

They delete posts that merely say "hey, wet phones can be brought back to life, look around for someone"  They choose to delete those, but leave "There is no hope"  That is NOT OKAY.   

Apple Insider--when someone shines a light on that--be human.  Admit--that this is absolutely NOT OKAY.  They choose to do it, so they gotta OWN IT.  There is no defense here.

Lastly--I'm a mom who learned how to fix iPhones, I'm not a unicorn.  Neither is Louis.  I have trained over 400 students to microsolder and do board repair.  There are plenty of people out there who can do this work affordably and with good success.   Apple should not have a problem advising people to just look around a bit with no guarantee or endorsement.  They should not be recommending prohibitively expensive $2000+ services that also buy our supplies and  learn from our videos like the rest of the mom and pops, and they should not ever be telling people that hardware repair is "impossible"

Oh, and both you and CBC are FLAT OUT WRONG when you both claim Apple doesn't offer support in directing customers to third-party options for data recovery that Apple themselves cannot perform. I've PERSONALLY gone to Apple Stores in my area on behalf of my users with their devices seeking assistance, and was told, in each event data recovery was needed, that they cannot do it, but third-party options are available, but cannot be guaranteed. So I would advise you, and the CBC, to retract that bogus claim.

I'd argue that directing a typical user to a 'data recovery service' that starts at $2000 is the practical equivalent of saying "not possible"  But that's not the point.

The point is the Apple-owned, and Apple-moderated Apple Support Community Forum IS THE online support arm of Apple, Inc who makes the device.   It absolutely appears to be an authority on iPhone Hardware Repair because....IT'S APPLE.
    That is incorrect. “THE” online support arm of Apple is support.apple.com.

As I mentioned above, my brother’s experience with Apple referred data recovery wasn’t anywhere near $2000, so I’m not sure where you’re getting that it starts at $2000.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnow
  • Reply 26 of 91
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

sully54 said:
    I used to work at the Genius Bar. We would give customers options for recovering their data through third part companies.

At at the end of the day though, it’s your data so take responsibility for it. You don’t need to be an expert if technology to know that a photo you take on any phone needs a backup. Paradigms haven’t changed since the days of film cameras. 

As a canadian, I apologies to the rest of the world for this kind of misinformation from our public broadcaster. 
    Thank you very much for posting this! As a Canadian myself, I'm embarrassed by the lack of journalistic integrity and accuracy in their reporting, as I've now, on multiple occasions, caught them either spreading the same misinformation as other news outlets, to downright LYING on "exclusive" stories, to the point where I rarely consider them a viable news source.

Anecdotally, if you look at the user comment forums under each article, they attract a massive anti-Apple troll following, and in general seem to salivate over anything negative or inflammatory towards Apple, whether true or false, much like most mainstream news outlets these days.
    Large numbers of news sites have completely shut down their comment sections for this very reason. I would suggest that Apple tech blogs do the same. Comment sections serve no purpose other than to give trolls a platform to do their dirty work, be it politics, religion, technology, or science (especially science since that topic brings out the wack jobs en masse). Ever try to have a discussion with a flat earth believer?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 27 of 91
    berndogberndog Posts: 90member
    Just use the very reasonable backup space and service Apple or many others offer and this problem is a nonstarter! Or you could have your daughter push on the screen!
  • Reply 28 of 91
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I would like to point out one piece of data which may not be accurate. I doubt Apple is experiencing a 4% random failure rate for thing which are not caused by the user. The market generally assigns that 3% to 5% failure for electronic is based on poor design practices. When product do not follow the standard design margins of derating parts and such they you could have much higher failure rates. Knowing Apple attention to quality and all the testing they do I would be surprise if they are seeing no abuse failure rates more than 1%, most well design products are seeing failure rates in the 0.5% range, The only question is how much abuse can a iPhone take before it induces a failure which can not be consider abuse like broken display, water induced data.

My single data point, I owned Apple product now more than 30 yrs, I retire every single one of them or handed them down to someone who used them for years more. Most of my Macs were in the 6 to 8 yrs old range and the iphones were in the 3 to 4 yrs old and handed down to be use another 1 or 2 yrs. I can tell you I had only one truly random failure which was a HDD that being to have error and needed to be replace. I know many people have lots of similar experience. With that said my son had one of the laptops which had the logic board recall issue which was replace under the extend warranty, but lived on for years, but they was a design issue not a random failure.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    maestro64 said:
    I would like to point out one piece of data which may not be accurate. I doubt Apple is experiencing a 4% random failure rate for thing which are not caused by the user. The market generally assigns that 3% to 5% failure for electronic is based on poor design practices. When product do not follow the standard design margins of derating parts and such they you could have much higher failure rates. Knowing Apple attention to quality and all the testing they do I would be surprise if they are seeing no abuse failure rates more than 1%, most well design products are seeing failure rates in the 0.5% range, The only question is how much abuse can a iPhone take before it induces a failure which can not be consider abuse like broken display, water induced data.

My single data point, I owned Apple product now more than 30 yrs, I retire every single one of them or handed them down to someone who used them for years more. Most of my Macs were in the 6 to 8 yrs old range and the iphones were in the 3 to 4 yrs old and handed down to be use another 1 or 2 yrs. I can tell you I had only one truly random failure which was a HDD that being to have error and needed to be replace. I know many people have lots of similar experience. With that said my son had one of the laptops which had the logic board recall issue which was replace under the extend warranty, but lived on for years, but they was a design issue not a random failure.
    Right, that's one of the reasons why we used 1% in the napkin math in the story.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,037member
    Apple's response is no different than a HD manufacturer's response: "It's broken." It isn't their job to pursue or promote data recovery techniques, even tho such techniques may very well be successful. 

No moral outrage until now. 
  • Reply 31 of 91
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,688member
    Wow this was a heated thread. I feel like I need to take a bath now. (AI staff handled it pretty professionally.)
    edited April 2019 muthuk_vanalingamgalliumnitride
  • Reply 32 of 91
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    Thank you very much for posting this! As a Canadian myself, I'm embarrassed by the lack of journalistic integrity and accuracy in their reporting, as I've now, on multiple occasions, caught them either spreading the same misinformation as other news outlets, to downright LYING on "exclusive" stories, to the point where I rarely consider them a viable news source.
    Yup. The CBC does a lot of sensationalist journalism, not just with Apple but on a wide variety of issues. They tend to gloss over nuance and tend to paint many issues with a broad brush.

Honestly, tune into the CBC on any given day and you’d think the sky is falling. 
  • Reply 33 of 91
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member

I wonder how many have upon Apple advice simply surrendered their iDevices for 'repair' (swap) to Apple based on the understanding their data was irrecoverable, potentially putting their privacy at risk...?

Could the push to market or represent (an illusion of) privacy be behind the post deletions...?

Was it a post basically promoting their service?  It sound like from the article they try to make it sound like it is an simple task which is deceptive. I would have blocked her too. 
    galliumnitride
  • Reply 34 of 91
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    maestro64 said:

It always sounds like 50%.  I'm sure Apple has the data, but they won't share it.  Maybe someone in the industry understands better?
  • Reply 35 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,037member

As I mentioned above, my brother’s experience with Apple referred data recovery wasn’t anywhere near $2000, so I’m not sure where you’re getting that it starts at $2000.
    Yes, Jessa seems to be confusing community support forums with actual support from the manufacturer. Many brands run such community forums. 
    galliumnitride
  • Reply 36 of 91
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    WWIII started? CBC report is very interesting - point out (1) there are many mom and pa user that not back up data like typical user hang out in AI - designer usually discounted their existance. but with face time, apple specifically target granny users demongraphic, replacement option usually leave much to be desired. (2) good to know 3rd party repair house can serve the missing link that not covered by Apple. now for the 3 ways of same story: (1) CBC story missing the Genius bar - otherwise, they will know the 3rd party repair option. But they only tried on line help on website. (2) Apple official website response - missing the 3rd party option as above. delete Jones email didn't serve any good will. (3) AI article missing the fair assessment - possibly due to Nerd user base. IMHO. To be fair, repair a damaged phone is hard to put a price as quote, water damaged or otherwise. Water damaged phone usually cause harm if it is ON or power on still wet. Dandritic growth can be rather few places (common places if you know where to look - I guess that is why Jones knew she can charge 300 if data can be recovered, otherwise is free). If you don't know where to look, it could be a long time shot (very costly). Few of damage are 'No display" - those are not truly dead (most likely drop or mechanical damage)- but to a user, it is "dead" - no UI. Few of faulty phone are trully "dead" - such as someone put it in microwave oven - believe me, it happened (for warrantee claim? or other purpose for example). Apple store service offer replacement usually good enough for most of users, but for mom and pa - like the CBC story, it just not option - apple eco system poison them to the bone if not brain. ;-)
  • Reply 37 of 91

And where does support.apple.com take you?  Try it.  Type in iPhone water damage, be an end user for a minute facing the potential loss of all the baby pictures on the phone.  You'll read a largely useless article that ends with--post a question here on the forum.   

I think it is great the your brother got quoted data recovery for $500-700, but that is not the common experience.  The common experience is being told "there is no option" and the second most common experience is being referred to Drivesavers which starts at $1900 although they aren't doing anything differently than anyone else.  In the independent repair community, there are excellent technicians everywhere who recover data from dead iPhones every day--and the going rate is $200-$500.  Heck, even my Apple Store will give referrals to us-but that is unusual.  The problem is the policy-driven common experience is to lead users into thinking that their data is gone forever when that is not true.

My evidence for "what is the common experience" is talking with thousands of customers, independent repair technicians, and their customers about iPhone data recovery.  
    boboliciousloquitur
  • Reply 38 of 91
    lkrupp said:

sully54 said:

Anecdotally, if you look at the user comment forums under each article, they attract a massive anti-Apple troll following, and in general seem to salivate over anything negative or inflammatory towards Apple, whether true or false, much like most mainstream news outlets these days.
    Large numbers of news sites have completely shut down their comment sections for this very reason. I would suggest that Apple tech blogs do the same. Comment sections serve no purpose other than to give trolls a platform to do their dirty work, be it politics, religion, technology, or science (especially science since that topic brings out the wack jobs en masse). Ever try to have a discussion with a flat earth believer?
    You solution for intolerance is...intolerance (in return)? LOL! Echo chambers keep flat earthers and anti-vaxxer secure in their beliefs and attitudes.

Today Jessa_ipadrehab raised the level of discourse in this forum offering facts, reasoning, and personal experience. I'm certain the writers of the editorial feel good to have what they wrote acknowledged in this way, even in disagreement.

• Reply 39 of 91
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    ericG721 said:
    lkrupp said:

sully54 said:

You solution for intolerance is...intolerance (in return)? LOL! Echo chambers keep flat earthers and anti-vaxxer secure in their beliefs and attitudes.

Today Jessa_ipadrehab raised the level of discourse in this forum offering facts, reasoning, and personal experience. I'm certain the writers of the editorial feel good to have what they wrote acknowledged in this way, even in disagreement.

Maybe, but I think everyone agrees that there are needs for better repair policies.  I'm not happy about that T2 locks me out so I can only get repairs from them.
    bobolicious
  • Reply 40 of 91
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,163member
    DuhSesame said:
    ericG721 said:
    lkrupp said:

sully54 said:

Maybe, but I think everyone agrees that there are needs for better repair policies.  I'm not happy about that T2 locks me out so I can only get repairs from them.
    I view T2 as only the latest Apple bully assault on 'serving the customer' and assuaging me to stick with and upgrade (because we actually still can) Jobs era hardware.  I've tried several of the later mac hardware designs and very regrettably felt compelled to send them all back.  The last straw for me was when the ONLY monitor I could NOT get working with a 2016 loaded macbook pro was Apple's own Cinema Display.  Really. Truly. Go bloody figure.

Repairability ? Sustainability ? Don't get me started...

Thank goodness the era of SJ hardware was so durably and more flexibly designed... We can't even user install a vesa mount on a 'bread and butter' iMac (save the pro) any more and I would just be getting started...

While I have the utmost respect for the individual brilliance and talent of all the leaders at Apple, I ask if the zeitgeist or vision has subtly and increasingly shifted to the untenable?

Is it time for an Apple Pentalobotomy™...?
    edited April 2019 dpkroh