Folding phone misery continues for Samsung Galaxy Fold, Huawei Mate X

Posted:
in General Discussion
Consumers wanting to own their own foldable smartphone have a while longer to wait, after AT&T cancelled all pre-orders for the ill-fated Samsung Galaxy Fold, while Huawei has advised it will be holding back the launch of its own flexible screen launch to perform more testing before releasing the Mate X.

The Samsung Galaxy Fold with a damaged display [via Steve Kovach on Twitter}
The Samsung Galaxy Fold with a damaged display [via Steve Kovach on Twitter]

The foldable smartphone market opened up in 2019 with numerous vendors revealing their take on the futuristic mobile device concept. However, efforts to get the smartphones into consumer hands have been hampered by issues, delaying the process for all involved.

AT&T cancelled the pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Fold on Wednesday, advising customers in a letter they would be refunded, reports CNN. For their trouble, customers will also receive a $100 gift card.

"Unfortunately, Samsung delayed the release of the Fold, which means we can't ship your phone and have to cancel your pre-order," the letter read. The cancellation is an about-face for AT&T, which advised in late April Samsung's device would ship by June 13, the day it dispatched letters to customers.

Samsung delayed the release of the Galaxy Fold after early reviews of the smartphone revealed the screen was prone to breaking at the hinge, while some accidentally damaged the device by believing a transparent layer that forms part of the display was some form of removable screen protector.

A teardown of the Galaxy Fold reveals some concerning problems with the design, such as the 7-millimeter gap in the bezel where the two halves met, which could be an inlet for debris. When folded, the spine was "flanked by massive gaps" that could allow more debris inside and to cause further damage.

Huawei Mate X
Huawei Mate X

The concerns with Samsung's Galaxy Fold has prompted a rethink by another manufacturer. CNBC reports Huawei is delaying its own Mate X foldable smartphone from its original June launch until September, in order to carry out extra tests on the device to avoid a similar fiasco.

A spokesperson advised the company is working to launch the Huawei Mate X globally, with a focus on markets that will have 5G networks operational in the near future. The representative claimed the testing was being performed with mobile carriers around the world, and with developers to make sure apps function properly when the smartphone is unfolded.

They also admitted Huawei was being more "cautious" with the Mate X following Samsung's misfire. "We don't want to launch a product to destroy our reputation," the spokesperson insisted.

Huawei is also contending with other issues, such as the US bans on the sale and buying of technology between the company and US firms, as well as Google's suspension of Huawei's Android license. The Mate X will reportedly run on Android instead of another operating system, as it was launched before the bans were announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    First!
    GG1wonkothesaneStrangeDaystyler82cornchipRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Soli said:
    First!
    LOL!
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    it's pretty funny as long as you don't imagine the landfill all those things are gonna wind up in
    AppleExposeddysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 86
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Not ready for prime time.  It's amazing Samsung could screw it up this badly.  At least the ChiComs are waiting to get it right.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 86
    sdw2001 said:
    At least the ChiComs are waiting to get it right.  
    I don't think they have much of a choice. They have to wait until Apple gets it right so they know what innovation to steal.
    andyringjahbladeberndoglkruppacejax805magman1979mike1roundaboutnowAppleExposedpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 86
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Soli said:
    First!
    That’s what samsung said. Look where it got them!
    jahbladeSpamSandwichAppleExposedgilly33uraharatyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 86
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Bad idea, worse execution.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    At least it only cost AT&T $100.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    First!
    Kinda puts the “Apple is late to the game” punditry in perspective doesn’t it. Tech media is completely quiet on this debacle, as if it never happened. If it had been Apple there would be a constant daily stream of articles berating Apple over it. 
    jamiemcdGG1smiffy31magman1979firelockAppleExposedpscooter63macseekermwhiteqwerty52
  • Reply 10 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    The Mate X is ready to go but market conditions are not appropriate. Three months won't change much in key areas of the design but from a marketing perspective, if the market conditions change, a September launch will have far more impact than a June launch.

More months for testing is a valid justification (especially as there is no real competition at the moment) and avoids them having to mention component bans etc.

Three months could come in very handy though for testing Ark OS on the device.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 11 of 86
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    First to market is not always a great strategy - especially if you mess up the launch. Samsung intended to show the world that they are a cutting edge innovator, instead it has spiralled into another damaging fail (the battery debacle being the other notable stumble). Samsung's PR firm will be plenty busy. Apple, being a 'medium speed' (not fast) follower, usually proves to be the more successful strategy as it allows a company to gauge market acceptance, product demand, and ability to learn from competitor's successes and missteps to then create a more refined product that is in tune with what consumers want. I think Apple's AR, home automation, glasses and electric car initiatives will be 'late' to market, but will be worth the wait since they will address the shortcomings of earlier products.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    avon b7 said:
    The Mate X is ready to go but market conditions are not appropriate. Three months won't change much in key areas of the design but from a marketing perspective, if the market conditions change, a September launch will have far more impact than a June launch.

More months for testing is a valid justification (especially as there is no real competition at the moment) and avoids them having to mention component bans etc.

Market conditions = customers aren't happy with a display that lasts a week before breaking under normal use.
    radarthekatmagman1979AppleExposedpscooter63qwerty52StrangeDaysleighrdysamoriacornchipjony0
  • Reply 13 of 86
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    sdw2001 said:
    Not ready for prime time.  It's amazing Samsung could screw it up this badly.  At least the ChiComs are waiting to get it right.  
     How is it surprising? This is put-a-grenade-in-your-pocket Samsung we're talking about here. This isn't surprising, it's par for the course. 
    magman1979AppleExposedgilly33docno42
  • Reply 14 of 86
    My "First!" comment was deleted from the forum for violating what rule? It was commentary about being first without offering substance. I didn't think my sarcasm was in any way subtle.
    edited June 2019 muthuk_vanalingamtmayroundaboutnowAppleExposedpscooter63mwhiteqwerty52gilly33eriamjhcornchip
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Huawei seems to be taking the road that Samsung should have taken. Will we really see the Mate X in three months, in it’s current form? Good thing for them that they can learn from Samsungs mistake and re-evaluate their foldable phone.

Soli said:
    My "First!" comment was deleted from the forum for violating what rule? It was commentary about being first without offering substance. I didn't think my sarcasm was in any way subtle.
    I’ll admit I was a little thrown when I saw the comment, especially seeing your name associated with it. It took me half a beat before I realized the context and then I chuckled. Yeah, we know how that “first!” worked out for Samsung.
    roundaboutnowSoligilly33GeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 16 of 86
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    They were so busy trying to figure out if they could, they never stopped to think if they should.
    Folding screen technology is a few years away from being ready to go into mass production. When it does I would predict that the resulting products won't look anything like the folding book model put forward by Samsung or Huawei. What finally reaches market will make those products look like Babbage's Difference Engine next to a new Mac Pro.
    magman1979coolfactorAppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 86
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    So where is all the fake outrage Samsung fail yet again, which should not be any surprise. All you hear from the tech media is how daring and forward thinking Samsung is and they are pushing the outer limits of what can be done so it is not really a failure.

I tend to agree to the point, except when you tell everyone the product is done we done all the testing and take people money. Ops it falls apart and they are not going to ship you a product and AT&T saying you're not getting your money back but we will give you an AT&T gift card you can use to buy other A&T stuff. Where is all the outrage from our outrage society we live in today. Where are the lawsuit, why aren't people demanding their product they ordered.
    TireaAppleExposedGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 86
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    maestro64 said:
    So where is all the fake outrage Samsung fail yet again, which should not be any surprise. All you hear from the tech media is how daring and forward thinking Samsung is and they are pushing the outer limits of what can be done so it is not really a failure.

I tend to agree to the point, except when you tell everyone the product is done we done all the testing and take people money. Ops it falls apart and they are not going to ship you a product and AT&T saying you're not getting your money back but we will give you an AT&T gift card you can use to buy other A&T stuff. Where is all the outrage from our outrage society we live in today. Where are the lawsuit, why aren't people demanding their product they ordered.
    If Apple did this screwup, there would already be several class-action lawsuits lined up.
    magman1979TireaDAalsethAppleExposedStrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Android is a complete and utter joke on tablets. Therefore, a foldable Android device that turns into a tablet is also a joke.

This is even before you get into the technical difficulties of actually making a foldable device itself.
    magman1979tmayAppleExposedStrangeDaysgilly33cornchipterrence1019
  • Reply 20 of 86
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    avon b7 said:

Holy shit, the Wall Scum anal-yst market spin drivel is strong with this one!!!
    AppleExposedlkruppStrangeDayscornchip