Apple's iOS 13 is now available for your iPhone or iPod touch

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has released iOS 13 to the public, following a lengthy beta-testing period, with the milestone operating system now downloadable to iPhones and the iPod touch, bringing with features including faster performance, an improved Reminders app, and the long-awaited 'Dark Mode.'

Released after eight rounds of the beta-testing process, iOS 13 can be installed via the iPhone or iPod touch's Settings app, selecting General, then Software Update, selecting to install the update, then entering the PIN set up for the device. For those with automatic updates enabled, the update will download to the device, which will then provide a notification when it is ready to install.

Owners of the iPad and iPad Pro will not be able to upgrade to iOS 13. Instead, those devices will be able to use iPadOS, a version of the operating system with features geared towards the larger display.

At its announcement at WWDC 2019 in June, iOS 13 was billed as having a number of major updates, including a new Dark Mode that shifts the operating system's general color scheme to one that is much darker. At the same time, apps that have their own Dark Mode settings will have them enabled, making it so most apps a user sees will be dark by default if it is set in the operating system.

Another major change is an increased level of privacy offered by "Sign In with Apple," an authentication method for apps that allows users to set up accounts and confirm their identity, but without using the usual Google and Facebook sign-in options. Apple's version minimizes the amount of user data required for the app account to be set up, reducing the possibility of users being tracked by third-party services and enhancing security.

For performance, Face ID will be able to unlock 30% faster, while app downloads will be up to 50% smaller with 60% smaller updates, and the app launch speed can be up to twice as fast as found in previous iOS versions.

Apple's apps are also undergoing a redesign, with new versions of Reminders, Health, and Apple Books arriving alongside a revamped Apple Maps. For FaceTime, Apple has added an "Attention Correction" feature that changes where the participants are "looking," so they digitally "look" at the camera instead of down from it.

Fans of Memoji will be able to take advantage of a new sticker pack, one that uses the personalized avatars in a number of predefined emoji-style ways that can be added to iMessage communications.

While many features appearing in the betas will be available for use, Apple is already publicly working on items to add in iOS 13.1. In an unusual move, Apple started the beta testing process for iOS 13.1 in late August, well ahead of the release of iOS 13 itself, with that update anticipated for an official release to the public on September 30.

The iPad counterpart to iOS, iPadOS, will also be available to install on September 30.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    The iPad counterpart to iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS (added), will also be available to install on September 30.
    THAT is BS ^^^
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Wonder how soon we will see the update to the HomePod? (audioOS - this labeling I'm not sure about).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 45
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Only 3 hours left to download it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 45
    mobird said:
    Wonder how soon we will see the update to the HomePod? (audioOS - this labeling I'm not sure about).
    Yeah me too, HomePod is iOS too right? and I think if your iPhone is running the Home app, maybe we'll get Music Handoff?  after a walk around the block?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 45
    auxio said:
    Ditto. Hope the install is a little faster. 😴
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 45
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    mobird said:

Thought it was mentioned that HomePod was getting updated later "this Fall". I'm guessing a new HomePod is coming out, the OS update will be released with it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Downloading it now. 2.28 GB on an iPhone XS Max. Excited about this update on the iPhone. Been enjoying iPadOS 13.1 on iPad Pro. The public betas for me have been quite stable. iPadOS 13.0 had way more bugs. You’ll enjoy this update when it comes on Sept. 2th (just read it on 9to5Mac).
    edited September 2019 applesnorangesjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 45
    I have the border threshold device for the latest iOS, iPhone SE. Need to upgrade my phone in order to catch up by this time next year.  :/
    gilly33cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    rezwits said:
    The iPad counterpart to iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS (added), will also be available to install on September 30.
    THAT is BS ^^^
    I’m pretty sure that information is accurate. 
    AppleZulucornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Wgkrueger said:
    rezwits said:
    THAT is BS ^^^
    I’m pretty sure that information is accurate. 
    Guys, updated. Been brought FWD. Both of you are correct (in the timeline)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 45
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    auxio said:
    Thats what I’m looking at too. Apple’s servers must be getting hammered.
    ForumPost said:
    I have the border threshold device for the latest iOS, iPhone SE. Need to upgrade my phone in order to catch up by this time next year.  :/
    I’m downloading it to my SE right now.
    jahbladecornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 45
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I completed installation of iOS 13 on my iPhone XS. 

Important confusion for me. A number of Apple apps, like Reminders have been updated, and there seems to be an option to update the database on iCloud. But it seems the such database will be incompatible with Reminders app running on iPads and Mac until these OSes are released. So I have not allowed the iCloud database updates to occur until IpadOS is released at least. Probably until MacOS is released also.

Anyone else have these concerns or more information than I have? Am I reading this wrong?
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Does anyone have tips or a resource on how to update multiple iPhones (iPhone 8, if it matters) at the same time, without downloading the files over and over? Most of the resources I see online are from 2011 and I imagine it's changed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 45
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    gilly33 said:
    Downloading it now. 2.28 GB on an iPhone XS Max. Excited about this update on the iPhone. Been enjoying iPadOS 13.1 on iPad Pro. The public betas for me have been quite stable. iPadOS 13.0 had way more bugs. You’ll enjoy this update when it comes on Sept. 2th (just read it on 9to5Mac).
    @gilly33, can you explain which Sept. 2th you are referring to? And how does one pronounce Sept. 2th?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 45
    linkman said:
    gilly33 said:
    @gilly33, can you explain which Sept. 2th you are referring to? And how does one pronounce Sept. 2th?

Let me run it through my ML model... chirp, blurp, squeak..

He meant Sept 24th
    gilly33cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 45

Does anyone have tips or a resource on how to update multiple iPhones (iPhone 8, if it matters) at the same time, without downloading the files over and over? Most of the resources I see online are from 2011 and I imagine it's changed.

If you have a Mac you can use it as a software update cache.

Updates get downloaded to it... then your devices update from it rather than Apple's servers.

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Content Cache

*Note: Doc says after caching is turned on, reboot your devices to locate the cache quicker.
    edited September 2019 cornchiplighteningkidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Got to tell you on my iPhone XS Max this update is buttery smooth. Apps are opening quicker, scrolling and swiping across home screen is just a delight. Will enjoy digging into all the new features but I’m stoked about finally getting ‘select all’ with the option to send to trash in the mail app. Took Apple long enough to add this feature. The main reason I got third party mail apps to begin with. And it seems that Face ID is snappier like they said but we’ll see over the next few days in various circumstances. It has had its fair share of hiccups on my phone. Altogether great update. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45
    linkman said:
    gilly33 said:
    Obviously a typo guys. Didn’t catch it when I posted. Meant Sept. 24th. 😊
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Just a reminder. If you had previous version beta profile, please remove it first. I didn’t get any update notification until I removed it later.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 45
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    The behavior of context menu is horrible. When you bring up that context menu, it's so easy to make the apps wiggle because you think you would be able to slide through widget icons but you cannot do that. If you slide out of context menu, the icons wiggle too. The context menu should NEVER be "dragged" along with the gesture. It's horrible. What is Apple thinking?!?!! It should keep static and let people slide their gesture to the desired target (icon) and release it.
    cornchip