Apple Arcade is here, play over 100 exclusive titles for $4.99 a month

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple's play-all-you-want service, Apple Arcade is now available for the iPhone, and will arrive on the iPad and Apple TV on September 30.

Announced at WWDC in June, Apple Arcade is Apple's newest subscription service. Apple Arcade allows players to pay a small monthly subscription fee and get access to a vast library of games.

All games within Apple Arcade are free of in-app advertising and in-app purchases. Apple Arcade titles are also playable offline, meaning that users won't need to worry about busting through their data caps.

Apple says that no game service has ever launched with so many games. Apple Arcade gives players a chance to check out over 100 games from over 35 different gaming studios. Some of the most notable studios include Bossa Studios, Disney, Konami, Lego, Sega, and more.

There are plenty of exclusives to check out, as well as a few ports of popular titles from other platforms. Titles to look out for are Frogger in Toy Town, Hot Lava, Lego Brawls, and Cards of Darkness.

After their device has been updated to iOS 13, users can find Apple Arcade in its own tab in the App Store. Once subscribed, players will be able to download the games they're interested in directly from the Apple Arcade tab. Currently Apple Arcade is available to anyone running iOS 13 on their iPhone, but will hit iPad and tvOS on September 30.

Apple Arcade costs $4.99 per month and comes with a one-month free trial. Additionally, Apple Arcade works with Family Sharing, meaning that one subscription can cover up to six different people.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Anyone play these games on an iPhone SE? LOL

Worth it?

Update...
    Downloaded Frogger (cute, fun game)... the SE screen is small and almost impossible to read the text!!! :( You can play but again, so very small.

But... I'm a genius!!!
    I turned on "mirror display" in the control panel and set it to my AppleTV and... Works like a charm! Good temporary work around until my iPad can join in on the fun.
    edited September 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 29
    After 3 minutes I finally figured out why I couldn't see Apple Arcade anywhere. My iOS wasn't updated to v13. My current version of iOS, presumably v12, didn't tell me an update was due, even when I went to the App Store to look for updates. In fact even when I went to the General tab of my Settings app, where it usually warns me about updates, there was nothing indicating an update was available. But by pushing through the menus I was able to find the update. Anything that takes me 5 minutes to figure out doesn't pass my "mom and pop test."

Anyone on these forums will know that iOS 13 is brand new, but I can assure you there are millions of people out there who don't follow Apple News like we do and won't be able to figure this out. Apple needs to start pushing iOS13.

On another issue, when will Apple Arcade be available for macOS? The article talks about every platform except this one.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    After 3 minutes I finally figured out why I couldn't see Apple Arcade anywhere. My iOS wasn't updated to v13. My current version of iOS, presumably v12, didn't tell me an update was due, even when I went to the App Store to look for updates. In fact even when I went to the General tab of my Settings app, where it usually warns me about updates, there was nothing indicating an update was available. But by pushing through the menus I was able to find the update. Anything that takes me 5 minutes to figure out doesn't pass my "mom and pop test."

Anyone on these forums will know that iOS 13 is brand new, but I can assure you there are millions of people out there who don't follow Apple News like we do and won't be able to figure this out. Apple needs to start pushing iOS13.

On another issue, when will Apple Arcade be available for macOS? The article talks about every platform except this one.
    Then they won't know about Arcade either, so no big deal.
    Today is the official release date of iOS13. Those little red dots are going to start showing up on everyone's phone over the next week or so.
    ForumPostdedgeckoCloudTalkinDeelronlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I downloaded my first game and clicked on the Accept Agreement button. Each game is going to have its own Accept Terms button? That's pretty lame. I thought the Apple Arcade agreement would cover all games. Apparently not.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mjtomlin said:
    Anyone play these games on an iPhone SE? LOL

Worth it?
    I want to but also want to take advantage of the trial period so I am waiting until they are available on Apple TV before starting my trial run
    gregoriusmchasm
  • Reply 6 of 29
    The first game I tried said it was compatible with iOS, iPadOS and tvOS. So I presume the omission of macOS means that most of the games on Apple Arcade will not be compatible with Macs. And a few days ago people were telling me on this website "Don't worry! It will all be compatible with macOS using the keyboard as your controller!" EDIT; The first TWO games are incompatible with macOS. So my worst fears are now realized.
    edited September 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Sounds like any new release of a platform. Unless you like tattoos... come back in a week or two and wait for the dust to settle. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The first game I tried said it was compatible with iOS, iPadOS and tvOS. So I presume the omission of macOS means that most of the games on Apple Arcade will not be compatible with Macs. And a few days ago people were telling me on this website "Don't worry! It will all be compatible with macOS using the keyboard as your controller!" EDIT; The first TWO games are incompatible with macOS. So my worst fears are now realized.
    Apple Arcade launches for Catalina in October.
    edited September 2019 williamlondongregoriusmviclauyycmdriftmeyerDeelronlolliverchasmmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 29
    You need to wait for Mac OS Catalina ... which is not there yet ... October ...
    gregoriusmlolliver
  • Reply 10 of 29
    His "worst fears"! We all thank you for informing Chicken Little that it was indeed just a pea.
    mdriftmeyerlollivermatrix077
  • Reply 11 of 29
    EDIT; The first TWO games are incompatible with macOS. So my worst fears are now realized.
    All of the games on Apple Arcade will be available on Mac. The compatibility message is specific to hardware that is running an iOS variant since you've downloaded an iOS version of the game. Likewise, hardware running macOS isn't going to say the app is compatible with iOS devices. It's just a technicality related to the OS you've downloaded the game on.
    edited September 2019 gregoriusmlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 29
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Owners of iPad and Apple TV will get it on 30 September, as part of the iPadOS and tvOS 13 updates. And it will be available on Mac in October, as part of the macOS Catalina update.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/apple/147552-apple-arcade-games-service-ios-iphone-ipad-subscription-how-much-release-date

Come on ... your worst fear realized?  Some people fear war or where their next meal is coming from... 
    lollivermatrix077bakedbananas
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Bud, calm down.  Might I suggest you slow down and gather some info.  Try the Apple Arcade page for instance. https://www.apple.com/apple-arcade/  The footnotes tell you that Apple Arcade is still rolling out and will reach all devices by this fall. Patience. You can't seriously be angry because you believed some unsubstantiated claim by a site member?  That's silly when info about the service is available from Apple.  
    I downloaded my first game and clicked on the Accept Agreement button. Each game is going to have its own Accept Terms button? That's pretty lame. I thought the Apple Arcade agreement would cover all games. Apparently not.
    Why would you think the AA agreement would cover all games?  Nowhere in Apple's ecosystem does their agreements apply to the devs agreements.  Apple tells you in multiple places that 3rd party services are governed by their own policies.  Again, just a suggestion but maybe stop, gather pertinent info, satisfy your concerns and then jump back in.  The games will still be there.  You don't have to be the first.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 29
    ; The first TWO games are incompatible with macOS. So my worst fears are now realized.
    First world fears.
    viclauyycDeelronwilliamlondonlolliverbakedbananas
  • Reply 15 of 29
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Sure its iOS 13 only? I can't see why Apple can't upgrade the older App Store as well. I won't be on iOS 13 until 13.1
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Guess it’s a good thing 13.1 will drop on September 30. 😂
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Correction, September 24th. See newer article on AppleInsider. 
  • Reply 18 of 29

Apple typically does phased releases so that not everyone is hitting their servers to update at the same time.
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Bud, calm down.  Might I suggest you slow down and gather some info.  Try the Apple Arcade page for instance. https://www.apple.com/apple-arcade/  The footnotes tell you that Apple Arcade is still rolling out and will reach all devices by this fall. Patience. You can't seriously be angry because you believed some unsubstantiated claim by a site member?  That's silly when info about the service is available from Apple.  
    Why would you think the AA agreement would cover all games?  Nowhere in Apple's ecosystem does their agreements apply to the devs agreements.  Apple tells you in multiple places that 3rd party services are governed by their own policies.  Again, just a suggestion but maybe stop, gather pertinent info, satisfy your concerns and then jump back in.  The games will still be there.  You don't have to be the first.
    Ok, so I stand corrected about my "worst fears." I was just using a little flamboyant language. But you are absolutely wrong when you cite that web page and claim that that page says it "will reach all devices by this fall." It says it will reach "other devices by fall." BIG DIFFERENCE between "ALL" and "OTHER". In fact, I think you've just proved my point and my fears. And I have other proofs but I'll leave it at this one for now.
  • Reply 20 of 29

That is a good point. But that doesn't explain why current software on Arcade says it's compatible with tvOS, which like macOS is still unreleased, but omits the fact that it doesn't say it's compatible with macOS, which is yet also unreleased. I consider that actual physical evidence that these games I've tested won't be available on macOS.