New PowerMac pictures leaked

Comments

• Reply 241 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>What I can't understand is why other sites like Spymac and Macboulie are required to remove pic's and yet this site seems immune.

Can any one explain this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I assumed this site got the same letter. I noticed that the pictures are missing from the original posts.

What about the idea that Apple 'intentionally' released these? This would (and has) taken some heat away from the OSX update price and .Mac issues that people were not impressed about. I'm sure Apple designs many prototypes that are turned down. Could this just be a way to obtain interest? Just an idea.
  • Reply 242 of 688
    hotboxdhotboxd Posts: 125member
    we're private citizens, it would be an invasion of privacy if Apple ordered us to close this thread and take the pictures off our computers.
  • Reply 243 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>we're private citizens, it would be an invasion of privacy if Apple ordered us to close this thread and take the pictures off our computers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think they were refering to the public accessible forums such as this one, not our personal computers.
  • Reply 244 of 688
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    On the topic of the heatsink if the processor is going to be a hot one then it is far more likely the heatsink would be copper (only thing better really is silver and a few rather expensive alloys that won't happen). Since copper has a density of around 3.5 times Aluminium you could easily have a 7lb heatsink with better dimensions (current ones seem a little large to me).
  • Reply 245 of 688
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    [quote]Originally posted by robster:

<strong>

If you look at the red ebay mobo and the one from the french pics, many of the elements are in the same places, the only real difference is the french pics show that 45 deg placed chip (maybe a processor maybe not) but the connector for a daughtercard is still there,

</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you look at the red board, you'll see a cluster of components around where the controller chip is placed on the other side of the board.

It is much more expensive to produce boards that are double sided, so it is quite reasonable that Apple have moved the chip to the same side as the rest of the components. Presumably it is easier to design double sided boards, so this looks like a later optimisation to cut costs.

Additionally, the chip on the red board appears to be straight. So maybe Apple have only recently received machines that can place chips at 45 degrees ( witness the eMac cpu ). Placing chips a 45 degrees can make routing the traces easier, and keep them shorter. Several PC motherboard manufacters use this technique.

I think it points to this board being an optimised version of what we saw in the red board. Optimised for price ( maybe only to benefit Apples margins ).

Additionally - Dell often mount harddrives vertically in the front of their desktop systems. It is not uncommon, and not bad for the drive. It may even convection cooling of the drive area.

[edit]

After looking really closely, I realise that the chip in the picture is the cpu, and although it is hard to see, you can see that the area around it is the cpu daughter board ( compare the components to those on the daughter board image ).

So everything Ive said might be irrelevant to this discussion.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: woozle ]</p>
  • Reply 246 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>we're private citizens, it would be an invasion of privacy if Apple ordered us to close this thread and take the pictures off our computers.</strong><hr></blockquote>Technically it is theft anyway. They own the box and all images pertaining to it until such time as it becomes publicly released.

They could order you to delete them from your computer they just know it probably wouldn't do any good. What they can do is order public sites to remove it though.
  • Reply 246 of 688
    browncowbrowncow Posts: 50member
    These photos are definitely real. Apple distributes all sorts of prototype cases made out of various materials. For instance, Trinity (the Cube) was protoed in a thin black plastic case. Other test units were distributed with just a metal framework enclosure (stripped of the outer plastics). Don't over-analyze the materials. They custom make anything that they haven't already fabbed, and they use any available materials to do so.

The new machines will have DDR, they will have gigawire, and at least one of the configs will still be a dual 1GHZ, although significantly faster than the current 1 GHZ because of the ram and other mobo changes.
  • Reply 248 of 688
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    The photos aren't fake, then. If Apple get them removed...that speaks for itself.

Doesn't confirm the 'final' look though. Could be one of many protos...still Apple's property though. And they will obviously object.

Moki and co. seem to have gone rather quiet...

The increased cooling. I'd like to think it had something to do with pushing the G4 to its limits or rather...

...the G5.

The towers must be imminent for release.

I just hope the specs don't disappoint.

After all the delay since January...DDR and dual 1.2 would be...urgh...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 249 of 688
    so this probaly has a super over clocked g4 in it, but that can be deceptive if that one guy overclocked his duel 1ghz to 1.2ghz pretty easily think what you could get with a case like that and turbine cooly, around 1.5 max say around 1.8 - 7 especialy with a big ass heat sinc.

btw, i still think this is apples standarized testing case, hence all the stuff on cooling, to test newer and better things.
  • Reply 250 of 688
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Geez, I'd buy a DDR 1.2 system. BUT, with

-FireWire 2

-AGP 8x ((ATi 9700=)

-Audio in hopefully, that was stupid getting rid of it.

-faster SuperDrive

-USB 2, though I can't see any use for it now.

-new keyboard/mouse would be icing on the cake.

"Real" DDR would be nice but I don't see it happening if the next PowerMac still uses the G4. A 166mhz MPX would be nice. But DDR would still benefit the graphics cards, etc. It's the motherboard I care about, not the CPU. I have been waiting for FireWire 2.
  • Reply 251 of 688
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple wouldn't sell computers with Motorola CPUs rated for a certain speed overclocked to a higher speed. That has fiasco written all over it. Apple isn't Kryotech.
  • Reply 252 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by tsukurite:

<strong>every time I read your sig, I just have to stop and laugh my butt off.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Glad you like it.
  • Reply 253 of 688
    devnulldevnull Posts: 31member
    Well, I don't know how they did it but Apple Legal aparently contacted the people where I stuck the images and asked them to take them down.

They ended up contacting me (I'm a support engineer) and asked me if I could assist (duh).

So I hope you grabbed them while you could, looks like they are legit. Apple Legal didn't go after the Jaguar screen shots, I wonder why this stuff gets their attention?
  • Reply 254 of 688
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by DevNull:

<strong>Apple Legal didn't go after the Jaguar screen shots, I wonder why this stuff gets their attention?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably because Apple already announced Jaguar. The more pics, the more publicity, the more copies Apple would hope to sell.

The Power Mac pics hurt the sales of the current models that Apple is trying to get rid of. Well, I guess Apple thinks it does at least.
  • Reply 255 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by DevNull:

<strong>Apple Legal didn't go after the Jaguar screen shots, I wonder why this stuff gets their attention?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Steve had already had his "glorious unveiling this for the fist time moment" with Jag, Nobody's stealing his thunder. Apple hasn't had his "glorious unveiling this for the first time moment" with the new PowerMac yet.
  • Reply 256 of 688
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    At least we now have something tangible and most likely real to discuss. Like the old days at AI.
  • Reply 257 of 688
    "

Some final details are filled in by AppleP58, author of the PDF:

- it is a slim power supply, originally identical to the XServe's with two fans 'attatched' to the end of it (as you may see in older photographs). The final product is 2 inches longer with the 2 fans built in (3 fans in power supply total)

- has a slide-on back cover which pulls off to access the IDE and power cables

- The Hard Drives: The two vertically mounted drives under the powersupply have a pop-off holder with a plastic hook; there is 1 screw which is there for the sole purpose of keeping it from falling out during shipping, as the instructions will attest to in the final product. The 2 horizontally mounted drives, under the optical drives, have a slide out

design with 3 mushrooms to catch on like a rail on top, it slides in and has a plastic latch. - The "mystery port" that was on early designs of the motherboard was a mini-VGA video port (like on the P80 iMac, iBook & PowerBook), and is not in the final product because it was only needed for testing the units sans-video card.

- Thermal grease will be used on the MPUs instead of black thermal pads.

- There will be single and dual processor MPUs used. It will use DDR.

- The new model P58 was not announced at MacWorld because of troubles with the XServe (P69) in production, the initial order of 4000 has been dificult to fulfill, and has taken up a lot of time of several departments traveling... I'll leave it at that.

Case:

- The metal area on the front panel is glossed aluminum, and as you can see in the photos has mylar covering it causing the haze, it is NOT brushed aluminum nor has it ever been.

- The case IS silver like the P57, has a white & silver speaker, and a hole handle with a larger ring in the side door.

This is the his/her last submission. "

From Macrumors

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 258 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Capt. Obvious:

So why do they need such a big chunk of steel? Is it ?cause our G5 dreams are real? Will the current G4 justify the expense, to change all boards from this day hence?

I've been thinking abotu this heatsink, and I just don't see it.

First off, a seven-pound heatsink of (even remotely) typical design would be massive enough to cause structural problems. It's great stuff, but it's NOT meant to bear that kind of weight!

Second off, heat sinks would most likely be aluminum: it's extremely lightweight, low-mass, and a highly efficient heat conductor; it would therefore be far preferable to steel or iron, which are renowned for holding heat (not a desirable property in a heatsink!).

If we want to take seriously the notion of a 7# heatsink, however, we have to (*ahem*) 'think different'.

Thoughts, please!<hr></blockquote>

Sorry, I think I accidentally lied, about the steel heatsink which I implied. But please understand my conundrum, in trying to rhyme something with ?aluminum.?

(Or worse, "aluminium.")
  • Reply 259 of 688
    mediamanmediaman Posts: 169member
    Well it looks from all this fervent speculation I should not rush out and pre-order Jaguar just yet. I think I will wait and get my final copy with a new tower

Jag is comming it the end of August and there's that supposed Apple event (heard speculation) mid Aug.
  • Reply 260 of 688
    From Macminute...

"Industrial Light and Magic moves to Dell

July 22 - 09:00 ET Industrial Light and Magic, the company responsible for the special effects in Star Wars, has switched from using RISC-Unix workstations from SGI to using Intel-based Dell systems running Linux for the bulk of its animation and special effects work, according to c|net. The switch included the purchase of 600 Pentium 4 workstations. "The Intel workstations that were deployed were probably 20 percent of the price of SGI workstations we bought a few years ago. Performance-wise, they are about three times as fast," said Cliff Plumer, ILM's CTO. "

Now. What this has to do with new 'power'Macs...I don't know...

Lemon Bon Bon

Kinda feel Apple should be at the party...

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>