Hong Kong legislator urges Tim Cook to put 'values over profits, pls!'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    longfang said:

DuhSesame said:
    JWSC said:
    tzm41 said:
    The Hong Kong legislature is the prime example of putting profits over values. They are almost useless for passing laws and regulations to protect the mass from the oligarchs, who control land supply, housing price, and profit distribution... Like Li Ka-shing basically robbed the dream out of all Hong Kongers, and now he moved away with his money.

I don’t know about that.  For decades HK has been the gold standard in free market capitalism.  It disproved all those who said you needed lots of factories to have a strong economy.  It disproved all those who said you needed trade tariffs to protect the people from imports.  It disproved all those who said that you needed land and abundant raw material resources to be a global economic leader.  It disproved all those who said that you needed high taxes to keep the people heathy, well fed and educated.

While it has its faults, as all great cities do, HK has been a shining example of how to do many things right.

Until recently...

The real deal is to tell the US government putting more pressure on the CCP, not judge the morality of a corporation.  They can't do anything here.
    Like the current US govt has any moral high ground to tell anyone anything.
    According to the “woke” faction, they all know better than the rest of us.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    maestro64 said:

I think you need to check your understanding, the extradition law is about Chinese Citizen who went to HK to avoid China law, 
    It is not limited to that. You are completely wrong.

As you clearly need to read up on this to understand the situation in Hong Kong you have here the link to the wikipedia article about it; which includes the link to the original at *.gov.hk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Hong_Kong_extradition_bill
  • Reply 63 of 65
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    maestro64 said:
    longfang said:
    maestro64 said:
    tzm41 said:
    The Hong Kong legislature is the prime example of putting profits over values. They are almost useless for passing laws and regulations to protect the mass from the oligarchs, who control land supply, housing price, and profit distribution... Like Li Ka-shing basically robbed the dream out of all Hong Kongers, and now he moved away with his money.
    I personally believe what we are seeing in Hong Kong is more about what you pointed out than anything else. HK has business owners and working class two distinctly different classes of people. Keep in mind HK was a trading port for a long time, things were made in mainland china and move through HK to points world wide. Those who managed the trade made all the profits, Over many year HK imported people from all over the world to serve those who drive the trade business and they are now seeing they have no future and that future will be far worse once mainland China rolls around the border in 30 yrs. Those with money when this happen will be fine and everyone else will loose.
    And this situation would be different in any other country how?
    In the US anyone has the ability to make something of themselves and start their own business and be successful, there is nothing stopping anyone other than themselves. However, just people someone choose not to pursue this path for themselves, does not mean the rest of the US is there to keep them down. I tire of people thinking they are not as rich or success as Bill Gate is due to companies holding them down or Bill Gate doing things which keep people from doing more with their lives. Anyone in the US with a better idea always has the ability to be successful. Just listen to the podcast "How I Built This" you'll learn about lots of people who had nothing more than a good idea and turn it into a great product and company. In no other country does this happen more than the US.
    ..except China where entrepreneurs have had the economy growing at double, triple and quadruple the rates of the U.S. for the past 10-20 years...
    That's the whole idea of Trump's war on China:  Open it up for Wall Street to be able to tap into their entrepreneurs expanding businesses.  And, China continues to say NO THANK YOU!

China today is doing what the U.S. did 100-150 years ago.   Entrepreneurs building exciting new businesses -- and investing their time, energy and capital in those businesses while the government supports it with a friendly ecosystem and infrastructure.  Wall Street wants in on that action -- but China is smart enough to say "No Way -- except on our terms!". 
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,424administrator
    sacto joe said:
    After reading all the divided comments
    and other related stories here, it’s clear to me that:

1) AppleInsider has taken a position in opposition to that of Tim Cook.

2) They are wrong to take that position.

If ever there were a shade of grey issue, this is it. On the one hand, an irrevocable decision has been made that makes Taiwan a part of Communist China. On the other hand, the residents of Taiwan prize their freedom.

All the simplistic viewpoints expressed here and (subtly) editorially fall to pieces on the hard reality if those two salient facts of Taiwanese life. There are such things as tragedy in real life, and that’s what’s happening here.

I personally choose to take Tim Cook at his word. He’s always come across to me as a straight shooter. An earlier AppleInsider article literally accused Tim Cook of “kowtowing” to the Chinese. A more insulting term is hard to visualize, but it clearly illustrates that the AppleInsider editorial function thinks Tim Cook is lying.

But because Tim Cook is not even close to being known as a liar, in my book that puts the onus on AppleInsider to either prove it or retract it.

It’s likely they’ll do neither, and that would put a mark against them in my book. Which frankly would sadden me.

You don't have any idea what our position is as a publication. There isn't anything in this piece, subtle or not, that indicates any opinion on the matter.

If we thought Cook was lying about anything, it wouldn't be a subtle statement.
    edited October 2019 gatorguysvanstrom
  • Reply 65 of 65
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sacto joe said:
    After reading all the divided comments
    and other related stories here, it’s clear to me that:

1) AppleInsider has taken a position in opposition to that of Tim Cook.

2) They are wrong to take that position.

If ever there were a shade of grey issue, this is it. On the one hand, an irrevocable decision has been made that makes Taiwan a part of Communist China. On the other hand, the residents of Taiwan prize their freedom.

All the simplistic viewpoints expressed here and (subtly) editorially fall to pieces on the hard reality if those two salient facts of Taiwanese life. There are such things as tragedy in real life, and that’s what’s happening here.

I personally choose to take Tim Cook at his word. He’s always come across to me as a straight shooter. An earlier AppleInsider article literally accused Tim Cook of “kowtowing” to the Chinese. A more insulting term is hard to visualize, but it clearly illustrates that the AppleInsider editorial function thinks Tim Cook is lying.

But because Tim Cook is not even close to being known as a liar, in my book that puts the onus on AppleInsider to either prove it or retract it.

It’s likely they’ll do neither, and that would put a mark against them in my book. Which frankly would sadden me.

You don't have any idea what our position is as a publication. There isn't anything in this piece, subtle or not, that indicates any opinion on the matter.

If we thought Cook was lying about anything, it wouldn't be a subtle statement.
    Without disagreeing with your statement, I would also agree with what I think was his main point:   This whole thing is very complicated with multiple facets.  Or, as he put it, "a shade of grey issue".

In truth, it seems to me that it is pretty much impossible for anybody (including Tim) to be 100% right -- no matter which position they take.  (And sometimes, even staying out of it and taking no position IS taking a position).

In short, no matter what Tim did (including nothing), he was wrong.  For him and Apple it was a "lose-lose" situation.  Once this app shoved Apple into the squabble, all he could do was try to pick the least bad scenario based on law, ethics and (since the first two seem to be a hotly debated question), Apple's best interests.