Initial 'The Morning Show' reviews were 'attack on Apple,' executive producers say

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Executive producers of Apple TV+ original series "The Morning Show" on Tuesday said early feedback from reviewers was less of a commentary on content as it was a knock against Apple itself.

The Morning Show

Speaking at the Code Media conference in Los Angeles, Kerry Ehrin and Mimi Leder responded to questions about "The Morning Show's" middling reviews, saying they believe critics were conflating thoughts on the series with perspectives on Apple TV+ as a service, reports The Verge.

"When those reviews came in, I didn't know what show they were watching," Leder said. "I thought they were nuts. I thought there were a lot of Apple haters who just wanted Apple to fail. The reviews felt like an attack on Apple."

Both Ehrin and Leder believe critics took the review as an opportunity to provide commentary on Apple TV+ instead of focusing on the subject at hand, a process Leder said is "not fair." While not scathing, reviews for "The Morning Show" were less than rosy and far from glowing.

"When you see reviews, they're looking at it from the whole business aspect, [like] what is Apple doing?,'" Ehrin said. "It's kind of separate from us."

AppleInsider reviewed "The Morning Show" and found that, while it boasts excellent acting and directing, the show lacked a clear voice in its early episodes. That could change as the series develops.

Despite a slightly below average aggregate score from professional critics, "The Morning Show" appears well-received by consumers. The Verge points to a Rotten Tomatoes average viewer score of 95%, much higher than the 63% average from media outlets and independent analysts.

"People love it, and we love it," Ehrin said. "That's what matters."

As previously reported, Apple is not sharing performance metrics with original series producers, but Ehrin and Leder said executives are "very happy about them."

Earlier this month a report from Variety claimed Apple TV+ drew "millions" of users in its first week of availability, many of whom average more than an hour on the service per session. A breakdown of viewer numbers has yet to see release, but early statistics show most users who sample one of Apple's four core shows -- "Dickinson," "For All Mankind," "The Morning Show" and "See" -- watch at least two episodes.

Apple is apparently pleased with the debut performance of "The Morning Show" and its other three marquee series, as it ordered second seasons of each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Tv critics’ audience is each other. They aren’t interested in what the unwashed want.
    An interesting case in reverse is the second series of Jack Ryan on prime. Critics liked it more than the first season; audiences liked the first season more than the second.
    lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Whatever the critics don't like, the content is probably GOOD.
    razorpitcornchipLukeCagelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Conversely, would any of these shows get this much constant attention if they weren't produced/offered by Apple? Christ, Hollywood and Apple are made for each other. So much navel gazing. 
    yojimbo007rogifan_newrazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I think the show is fantastic and is a great flagship show for AppleTV+. While I haven't talked to many people about it, the reception has been favorable and has an 8.3 on IMDB which is pretty damn high for a TV show. Luckily Apple is great at ignoring all the critic chatter and doing their own thing.
    mac_dogStrangeDaysleavingthebigglolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    I like the shows  in this order:

1-For All Man Kind
    2-The Morning  Show
    3-See

I cant stand Dickinson! 
    cornchipzoomcryptllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    My wife and I haven't yet seen "See" (the genre is not appealing to us), but were pleasantly surprised by the other shows, given the dour reviews from critics. We watch very little television, but are dipping our toes in the streaming waters.

The real surprise for us was "Dickinson", which we thought we'd not like as we are neither fans of period dramas nor familiar with current popular music. The use of that music, and the wrapping of each episode around the opening of one of Dickinson's poems, was unexpectedly engaging.

revenantdanhlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I binged-watched the Morning show's first five episodes last weekend.  It's a fantastic show.  I loved it.  The quality of the production was everything Apple is known for.  My GF got a 1-year free ATV+ subscription when she bought her iP11 and when it expires, I will certainly be subscribing to it if the quality of the other shows are like this.

Screw the Apple haters.  They can't debate the merits of what Apple does so they do the only thing they can do... whine.  Fuck-em.
    StrangeDaysLukeCagelolliverjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    One of the best shows I’ve seen in a while. Also, “Succession”.
    StrangeDayssirlance99watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I was skeptical on The Morning Show, more so when the bad reviews came in.  I watched it and thought it was fantastic.  Similarly I thought I'd hate See but was curious how you make a show about blind people watchable.  It's actually kinda good, very different but well made.
    LukeCagelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    The title and premise almost put me off watching the The Morning Show but it has by far being a stand out series. The casting is superb, the acting is fantastic and it has shone a whole new light on Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon. Whilst I knew Reese Witherspoon was a good actress, Jennifer Aniston has real shown just how good she is too.  

It is a thoroughly entertaining series which is standard out good. I can't wait for the next episode.

You can never please everyone, never mind someone, all of the time. This is a great show and the viewers opinion is what really matters.
    StrangeDayslolliverjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32

1-For All Man Kind
    2-The Morning  Show
    3-See

I cant stand Dickinson! 
    Dickinson is not my cup of tea but have to admit from E5 on I can understand why many like the show. 
    edited November 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    my wife, who never watches the box, enjoys the morning show. we have yet to branch out into the others yet. and we enjoy it thoroughly.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Agree with others here, I watched the Morning Show first episode and thought it was really really good.  I was surprised after reading the lukewarm reviews how well done and edgy it was.  It was more surprising to me because my tastes usually line up with critics  (Sopranos, the Wire, Breaking Bad etc etc).  It really pains me to say that.

I thought the Morning Show first episode was even better than for All Mankind.  Reese Witherspoon was fantastic (as always) and I thought Jennifer Aniston was perfect in her role as a career peaked newscaster.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32

1-For All Man Kind
    2-The Morning  Show
    3-See

I cant stand Dickinson! 
    "For All Man Kind" is a horible distortion of any pro-history from the events of the Moon Race.
    A better start would have deserted the total failure of the Democrats "Big Society"and continued the race for space from that point.

razorpitpscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 32
    micklb74 said:

1-For All Man Kind
    2-The Morning  Show
    3-See

I cant stand Dickinson! 
    "For All Man Kind" is a horible distortion of any pro-history from the events of the Moon Race.
    A better start would have deserted the total failure of the Democrats "Big Society"and continued the race for space from that point.

Not a fan of President Johnson then I take it. ,-)
    razorpitlolliver
  • Reply 16 of 32
    We’re watching TMS and FAM and enjoy them both. Engaging, high-quality drama. I always find the “But but but that isn’t how real history was!” criticism of FAM baffling, as that is the entire point of alternate-history as a genre. Also enjoyed Man in the High Castle, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. 
    edited November 2019 lowededwookielolliverllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Nah. It’s actually a meh show. OK, not great. It’s not one where I’m looking forward to the next episode to drop. 
  • Reply 18 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I think the show is fantastic and is a great flagship show for AppleTV+. While I haven't talked to many people about it, the reception has been favorable and has an 8.3 on IMDB which is pretty damn high for a TV show. Luckily Apple is great at ignoring all the critic chatter and doing their own thing.
    Didn’t work out so well with the trash can Mac Pro though.

• Reply 19 of 32
    My wife and I have just finished seeing all episodes of The Morning Show and For All Mankind. Two really good shows! Looking forward to more episodes and the other shows.

We also watched the Disney offering, The Mandalorian, and felt it was also worth watching. And while we'll probably stick with the channel for now, since that's literally the only new piece they're offering that's of interest to us, it feels expensive, so I don't know how long that will last.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Made it through my he first episode of the morning show. Won't make
    it to the second. High production values for sure but script, direction and acting all fell short. Apple or not it is not a great show imo. I liked first episode of Jack Ryan, tho, and will likely watch the second. I wish the latter was an Apple production and the Morning Show was an Amazon job, but alas.