Apple TV+ Dolby Vision HDR streams failing for some viewers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Some users are finding that Dolby Vision HDR Apple TV+ shows streaming to Apple TV 4K set-top boxes aren't playing back correctly, if at all.

Apple TV+ and Apple TV 4K can play shows in Dolby Vision HDR
Apple TV+ and Apple TV 4K can play shows in Dolby Vision HDR

Apple TV+ has been noted for providing the highest bitrate of all the streaming services, and Apple itself has talked up how all its shows are made in Dolby Vision HDR for the highest image quality. Users have to have an Apple TV 4K and a TV set that can display Dolby Vision HDR, but now some who do, are reporting that the feature has been switched off.

Currently, about 120 people are complaining about this in the Apple support forums, and more on Twitter, but while the overall issue is the same, the shows affected appears to vary.

@AppleTV @AppleTVPlus why isn't you own programming claiming to play in Dolby Vision only working in HDR on my Apple TV 4K. Only programming that's working correctly is Dickinson.

-- Anthony (@RealSwaggyT)

MacRumors, which first spotted the issue, also reports that it's not only that new episodes lack this image quality, but so do all their previous episodes.

As those episodes were streamed in Dolby Vision HDR before -- and stream properly to third-party televisions -- it can't be that the source material is lower quality or that the service isn't capable of streaming it.

The most likely explanation is that there is some problem with the service and while it's being fixed, Apple has switched off the higher-quality versions. This doesn't account for "Dickinson" still working for many people, and it's also still possible that only a few users are affected overall.

However, the first reported cases of the problem were almost three weeks ago, and as yet, Apple has not commented. AppleInsider has not as of yet experienced the problem. Perhaps related, one staffer has experienced a recent tvOS update inducing problems with HDCP with a setup that had worked for years prior, suggesting that the device is now more finicky about consistent bitrate across cabling.

Dolby Vision HDR brings high-quality video, and its companion Dolby Atmos provides high-quality audio to match, for many Apple devices: Dolby Vision HDR streams also available on certain Mac desktops running macOS Catalina.

As well as offering new Apple TV+ shows in this higher image quality, films and television sold through the iTunes Store can now be in Dolby Vision. If you've previously bought HD versions of titles, you now automatically and for free get the Dolby Vision ones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    This has been going on for a few weeks now, first with episodes 6, now with the whole series (all but Dickinson)

The episodes are actually in Dolby Vision (which you can check with the Playback HUD, which you can activate via Xcode), but make my Dolby Vision TV switch to HDR.
    If I disable "Match Dynamic Range" they play beautifully in Dolby Vision, just as they should.

I read somewhere that some older Dolby Vision TVs had big issues when playing these Apple TV+ shows - that might be why Apple forced the shows ro display in HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision via Apple TV 4K.

The shows still appear as Dolby Vision on my iPad mini.
    tenthousandthingsWgkruegerSoliAndy.Hardwake
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Any idea what the minimum speed of internet connection is required for this to work?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Folks I am not saying it is not an Apple issue. 

But we all are getting the data on a shared pipe and your quality is only as good as the weakest link in the system and that could change over time. I see this all the time with any streaming service, Netlix has this issue for years, this is why Netflix starts up and does a stream test to see the speed of your connect, at first it would be fine and half way through the show you can see the quality drop off since somewhere in the path a bottle neck built up and you are not getting as much data as you were in the beginning.

Face it, ENET sucks there is no way to guaranty QOS end to end, the connection path from one end to the other can change many times over during a course of a stream. The tried solving the problem with bigger and faster pipes. It sound like Apple may have turned it off since the down side could be a far worse experience. The fact you only have a small number of the Millions of people watch these shows noticing and complaining means more people have no idea if the quality level is at level it should or could be. It was the same thing back in the early 2000's when HD hit and people were going out and getting HD TV and no idea the content coming from their cable operators was still SD.  
    edited December 2019 minicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    There's also the issue of competing standards, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, Atmos and DTSx. Most manufacturers are picking sides and very often don't support one or the other. In my case the TCL 6 series in the master suite offers Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. The Samsung Q80R in the family room is exactly the opposite. As I typically do my movie streaming in the family room I wouldn't see any benefit to Dolby Vision on AppleTV+ anyway AFAIK.

Also don't let anyone tell you streaming a 4K Dolby Vision or HDR10+ movie from a streaming service (even Apple's) is the same quality as playing a BlueRay UltraHD disc either. It is not. BlueRay UltraHD is a plainly superior experience, something I did not know would be so evident before being loaned a player and a couple of movies. I''ve now bought one for myself, a refurbed Sony UBP-X700 for less than $80 (Ebay) . What a huge difference with the right content, and easily moved between TV's. Oddly enough tho Dolby Vision BlueRay content does not look better and in fact looks worse to me on the TCL than HDR10 does on the Samsung.
    edited December 2019 viclauyycravnorodommuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I have the previous AppleTV (HD), and on two recent occasions we’ve had to give trying to watch a show because the stream goes to black. 
  • Reply 6 of 24
    gatorguy said:
    There's also the issue of competing standards, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, Atmos and DTSx. Most manufacturers are picking sides and very often don't support one or the other. In my case the TCL 6 series in the master suite offers Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. The Samsung Q80R in the family room is exactly the opposite. As I typically do my movie streaming in the family room I wouldn't see any benefit to Dolby Vision on AppleTV+ anyway AFAIK.

Also don't let anyone tell you streaming a 4K Dolby Vision or HDR10+ movie from a streaming service (even Apple's) is the same quality as playing a BlueRay UltraHD disc either. It is not. BlueRay UltraHD is a plainly superior experience, something I did not know would be so evident before being loaned a player and a couple of movies. I''ve now bought one for myself, a refurbed Sony UBP-X700 for less than $80 (Ebay) . What a huge difference with the right content, and easily moved between TV's. Oddly enough tho Dolby Vision BlueRay content does not look better and in fact looks worse to me on the TCL than HDR10 does on the Samsung.
    This is the reason you do not what the streaming app in our TV, Keep the TV dumb, and add the smarts with an external box which has a powerful processor and add the capabilities via software.
    cornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

This is the reason you do not what the streaming app in our TV, Keep the TV dumb, and add the smarts with an external box which has a powerful processor and add the capabilities via software.
    Agreed, but where do you get such a 55"+ TV capable of displaying 4K Dolby Vision and/or HDR10+ without buying smart features too?
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I’m having this issue on Apple Tv app (Samsung q6fn). 
  • Reply 9 of 24
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

Agreed, but where do you get such a 55"+ TV capable of displaying 4K Dolby Vision and/or HDR10+ without buying smart features too?
    You can't since they incorporate the smart function into all higher end TV's sold in the US. Believe it or not UK does have higher end TV's without smart functions. I just bought a 43" HD TV without any smart functionality, it is just a TV nothing else. The same TV with the smart functionality was $100 more to give you an idea what the smart functionality costs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Any idea what the minimum speed of internet connection is required for this to work?
    Totally depends on what’s in the playlist. I worked for one of the largest live TV streaming providers for nearly 5 years and can imagine a dozen or more scenarios where this would stop working. Could be client side, though not likely since it was working for the same people before. Though some TVs have buggy HDR or Dolby Vision implementations. More than likely it’s server side. They may have taken out the Dolby Vision profiles temporarily to resolve some backend encoding, packaging, or content delivery issue. 
  • Reply 11 of 24
    You can't since they incorporate the smart function into all higher end TV's sold in the US. Believe it or not UK does have higher end TV's without smart functions. I just bought a 43" HD TV without any smart functionality, it is just a TV nothing else. The same TV with the smart functionality was $100 more to give you an idea what the smart functionality costs.
    Believe it or not, you can still get those in the US of A too. Their just harder to find. Maybe consumers here are more likely to be suckered into paying more for a “smart TV”. Who knows. 
  • Reply 12 of 24
    dbendixen said:
    Believe it or not, you can still get those in the US of A too. Their just harder to find. Maybe consumers here are more likely to be suckered into paying more for a “smart TV”. Who knows. 
    Where? I looked and did find an older 2015 HDTV, but far smaller than 55". So any links for those who don't want to "be sucked into paying more" for a smart tv but still want their 4K big-screen with the great display in the living room?? 

My guess? You can't find one, and certainly not for less than a very good to excellent smartTV costs at the moment. 

EDIT: If you find one tell these guys. they can't find one either.
    https://hometheaterreview.com/i-just-want-a-dumb-tv/
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

I understand your concern regarding a "Smart TV", I guess you could disable the majority of the features and then use separate components for your source material. You also might look into a Commercial Monitor, I Just upgraded from one, the Panasonic TH-50PH9UK Plasma TV (which still had a fantastic picture), I just wanted all the "bells and whistles". I got the Sony BRAVIA XBR-55A8G 55 Inch TV OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV with HDR and Alexa Compatibility - 2019 Model. It uses the Android OS 9.0 OREO. I turned as many Google snooping features off as reasonably possible and Alexa is not allowed  to operate in our home. The picture/image is fantastic and I like some of the "bells and whistle".
    If you want HomeKit and Airplay 2, Sony just pushed an update to the following models:

Applicable TV model series:

edited December 2019
  • Reply 14 of 24
    mobird said:
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

I understand your concern regarding a "Smart TV", I guess you could disable the majority of the features and then use separate components for your source material. I Just upgraded from one, the Panasonic TH-50PH9UK Plasma TV (which still had a fantastic picture), I just wanted all the "bells and whistles". 
    Still have one in my son's room (50"). A nice picture for it's time and still not at all bad, but no longer cream of the crop. 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I have the previous AppleTV (HD), and on two recent occasions we’ve had to give trying to watch a show because the stream goes to black. 
    Had this problem for a couple of occasions. Had to re-start the app to solve the issue. 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

I think the OP is saying to bypass the smart tv features and use an external streaming devices instead. This is what I have done for years now. I prefer the speed and smoothness of ATV  vs the sometimes clunky slow UI that is built into most tv’s.  
  • Reply 17 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

jeromec said:
    This has been going on for a few weeks now, first with episodes 6, now with the whole series (all but Dickinson)

The episodes are actually in Dolby Vision (which you can check with the Playback HUD, which you can activate via Xcode), but make my Dolby Vision TV switch to HDR.
    If I disable "Match Dynamic Range" they play beautifully in Dolby Vision, just as they should.

I read somewhere that some older Dolby Vision TVs had big issues when playing these Apple TV+ shows - that might be why Apple forced the shows ro display in HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision via Apple TV 4K.

The shows still appear as Dolby Vision on my iPad mini.
    It’s funny. I must have “Match Dynamic Range”  enabled to force the ATV 4K to display HDR correctly. It seems without this on HDR isn’t triggered and content will only show in non HDR 4k. Whether is be HDR-10 or Dolby Vision. 

In Video and Audio settings I have format set as 4K SDR so menus look crisp and color is correct. Not super bright picture and menus with unnatural color which is what you get if you enable Dolby Vision.  Then both March content options on to trigger the ATV to display HDR content when it should and in the correct standard.   

The entire series of See has played in proper Dolby Vision on both of my 4K sets without issue.  I went through one by on the episodes to verify. 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jcs2305 said:
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

I think the OP is saying to bypass the smart tv features and use an external streaming devices instead. This is what I have done for years now. I prefer the speed and smoothness of ATV  vs the sometimes clunky slow UI that is built into most tv’s.  
    No that's not what he's saying at all. He suggests a dumb TV, no smart interface" at all, which isn't a bad idea at all even if more complicated.  You know, like TV's used to be, altho even back in the day viewers were tracked by the cableco's.

FWIW I will sometimes use my Nvidia Shield rather than doing my streaming via the smartTV interface, but my TV will still be collecting various viewing metrics. For that matter my AppleTV does too. Some I can opt out of and some I cannot, and that applies to all the smart services I have as best I can tell. Where I can do so I opt out, but these services have become tricky for that. Not all privacy settings are in the same menus so that even when you think you've opted out of personal tracking altogether you actually haven't. To me that's obviously by design, providers hoping you weren't paying enough attention or perhaps no attention at all.

Even for the privacy-espousing Apple the defaults are "On" for collecting and monetizing very detailed personal use data and like everyone else Apple understands most users don't change defaults. 
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208511
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 19 of 24
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,862member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

Imagine a larger screen iMac, 32 thru 42” in the end Apple will need offer a router again and a server again Apple can not, sit back and let third parties take care of the end user experience.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:

Just use your HDTV or OLED TV as a dumb display, running everything through your Apple TV.  I’ve never used the built in features on my 65”OLED TV.  I just plug my TV into my amplifier with HD pass through and Dolby support, and my Apple TV into my amplifier, and my Apple TV plugged into my Internet connection for all the source material.  Then my Apple TV sends the Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos stream through my amplifier, sending the video stream to the TV and the sound output to the 7.1 speakers.  Works perfectly.
    StrangeDays