Apple rolls out improved Maps to all users in the US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    sanssans Posts: 58member

After link textyears of work, Apple has completed the rollout of this new Apple Maps experience in the United States. 

How long is a link text of years?
    bonobobdamn_its_hotwatto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 22 of 64
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    fluffhead said:
    I wish they would rebuild Siri from the ground up. 

Maybe just maybe I’ll stop using Waze but I seriously doubt it. 
    I might stop using Waze because it and my car audio system have issues with my iPhone 11 Pro, Apple Maps does not. Using Bluetooth I can hear music playing from the phone and hear Waze voice at an appropriate volume. If I pause the music (either with the phone or the entertainment system screen), Waze voice drops to a level so low it cannot be clearly heard without raising the car audio volume to a very high level. This did not happen with my iPhone 5S. Apple Maps works just fine and I can hear Map Siri (as I refer to her) at the right volume under all circumstances.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    MintzMintz Posts: 18member
    cornchip said:
    Google Maps has always been better. 
    It’s always had a seven year head start.
    Siri had head start as well...  :#

I love Apple Maps - and have been using ever since it came out... I prefer it's UI/UX over Google Maps

Of course, Apple Maps sucks when travelling international... Google is way superior in POIs, accuracy, etc.

stantheman
  • Reply 24 of 64
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,409member
    I've used Maps since Day One and have had only one disappointment in being led astray.

But recently, I've noticed that Maps GPS function is responding on my SE more slowly than in the past. At 65mph+ I often get the next command, lane assist panel, or turn too late and overshoot my next movement. 

I don't know if it's a function of the rollout, but it's only started over the las three months or so. Obviously it's not much of a problem on named streets, but unnamed intersections often take me by surprise.

I miss having a great nav app on iOS, but Garmin stopped support, probably favoring their GPS units. If I could get two features of the best nav apps, it would be the ability to drop pins between Begin and End and get the general routes I want. Or to drag any given point of a suggested route to another point and get a new alternate route. The other feature would be offline maps. Overall, I'm completely happy with the progress Apple is making.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    jas99 said:
    So much work went into this. A colossal achievement that really only Apple would undertake. . 
    Didn’t google do it first?
    maltzbonobobchemengin1
  • Reply 26 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I just took a walk around my neighborhood, a virtual walk, and I find that it works pretty well and the quality is very good too, it's smooth.

I also find that the 3D satellite view looks much better than the last time I tried it, which is a long time ago.

In the beginning, you had these weird, warped buildings etc., but now everything looks good.

There's a blue dot that shows my current device location, but I wish that I could get rid of the big blue circle around it, because when I zoom in to my location everything in that circle has a blue hue to it. Maybe it can be gotten rid of, but I haven't figured out how yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    frank777 said:
    Great news. So how long before I can buy a true Flight Simulator-alternative for my 27" iMac?
    Install bootcamp and buy that new Microsoft Flight simulator?

That thing looks pretty damn good I have to admit.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    jas99 said:
    So much work went into this. A colossal achievement that really only Apple would undertake. . 
    Can’t you , just once, give the company its due?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Is Canada in the initial deployment or in the Europe deployment or some other time? Sometimes when people say "US" they also mean Canada.
    It is not Canada-wide. There are regions of Canada that have the new data sets.
    Great news. I live in Canada, but everyone should know that the inhabited portion of Canada is, for the most part, a 50 to 70 mile wide stretch of land along the US border (the 45 th Parallel). The possible exceptions are in the East, first settled by French Canadians, with the Maritime Provinces, the North shore of the Saint Lawrence river in the Province of Quebec, and the southern part of the Province of Ontario.

The City of Montreal is so close to the American border that by clear weather you can see inside the United States of America, 55 miles South, in the State of New York, from the Olympic Tower Public Observatory.

And the City of Toronto is across the State of New York, on the opposite side of Lake Ontario.

If Apple wants to include Canada in the revised Maps application, the territory to cover in great details is fairly limited (which makes it easy to include).

edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    linkman said:
    I would be mostly satisfied if AM just gives me the correct directions each time. I'm by no means a frequent user of it, but I have had several times in the past two years where it directs me to a totally wrong location -- which I only found out after attempting to drive there and get into an endless loop once I'm close to what AM thought was the destination. Not encountered recently, but I also hope they fixed the problem where it would provide directions to an identically named place that is 1000+ miles from my current location instead of the one that is <5 miles from my current location.
    This happened to me on a trip with a family member. Having got us lost, it complete soured that family member on any and all Apple products.He refuses to consider buying them because "they suck. Remember how we got lost because you used their crap? And they always want you to pay more for things that used to work fine." 

Its not unreasonable. Remember how Steve reamed the Mobile-Me bunch and accused them of making a poor product that forever harmed the reputation of Apple? He wasn't wrong. Apple simply hopes people forget their mistakes. 
  • Reply 31 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    cornchip said:
    Google Maps has always been better. 
    It’s always had a seven year head start.
    Yes, but Apple is catching up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 64
    All I want is to be able to download maps offline. I have dodgy spots on my commute and have to resort to Google. But CarPlay (obviously) works best with Apple Maps.

I guess I’ll keep waiting... 
    gregoriusmjust cruisin
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Can it give you directions to a store in an outdoor mall like Google maps or does it still drop you at the entrance to the mall?
    Tested it. The answer is no it cannot direct you to the store although it does know where it is in the mall now which is a big improvement.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 34 of 64
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    jas99 said:
    Not sure what you mean - unless you’re mad that I didn’t mention Mapquest, since they were doing maps before Google. If you read my first post in this thread, I credited Apple with the improvements they’ve made, but the fact is Apple is still playing catch-up to Google Maps in many areas.

I’m sorry if I’m not a blind fanboy sycophant like many people here, but I prefer honesty. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 35 of 64
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    jas99 said:
    Not sure what you mean - unless you’re mad that I didn’t mention Mapquest, since they were doing maps before Google. If you read my first post in this thread, I credited Apple with the improvements they’ve made, but the fact is Apple is still playing catch-up to Google Maps in many areas.

I’m sorry if I’m not a blind fanboy sycophant like many people here, but I prefer honesty. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 36 of 64
    How does apple roll out these updates, is it via software update on iOS? I can't tell what version of apple maps I currently have. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    GeoNyc said:
    How does apple roll out these updates, is it via software update on iOS? I can't tell what version of apple maps I currently have. 
    Your existing app will pull in the data.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 64

frank777 said:
    Great news. So how long before I can buy a true Flight Simulator-alternative for my 27" iMac?
    You already can, there are multiple options. But what does this have to do with Apple Maps?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Soli said:
    2) I wish Apple Maps used the maps.apple.com website. If you export a location and try to open it in a browser that can call one of their apps it will send yo to maps.google.com. Maybe it's too much work and cost, but I'd think users being able to choose Apple Maps in the browser would help keep users data more private and show that Apple Maps is an excellent alternative. There could even be Android users that don't want to switch to an iPhone because they're under the impression that Apple Maps isn't good.
    What does the bolded part mean exactly? I can't figure out what this workflow is that you're describing.

Anyway, I use Apple Maps in my browser just fine — it's integrated in DuckDuckGo. Maybe if you stop using Google then you wouldn't end up in Google Maps?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    frank777 said:
    Well, not the answer you want but in the short term Boot Camp and Microsoft's upcoming new Flight Simulator 2020 will be my choice.  I've had it with 1990's style mapping and building graphics from X-Plane.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra