Apple rolls out improved Maps to all users in the US

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Many of the advertised Flyovers and Street View or is it Look Around  are not working on the Mac, not tried iOS yet.  The ground level walk about is key for me and should be ubiquitous not only in a few cities. The only reasons I use Google maps on occasions still are 1. Street view and 2. Waypoints for planning trips.  I wish Apple would add the latter.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 64
    MacPro said:
    Many of the advertised Flyovers and Street View or is it Look Around  are not working on the Mac, not tried iOS yet.  The ground level walk about is key for me and should be ubiquitous not only in a few cities. The only reasons I use Google maps on occasions still are 1. Street view and 2. Waypoints for planning trips.  I wish Apple would add the latter.
    Are you zoomed into an area that actually has those features? If so, the icons appear. If not, they don't. It works great, but those features have only rolled out in a few select locations as previously listed. It works wonderfully in the places that have it already — I was able to do Look Around to walk down the street and see the house I was born in, in Laurel Canyon, and it's miles better than Google's StreetView. Can't wait for it to cover more areas.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Google Maps has always been better. 

As long as you don't mind Google tracking your every move.  Some are fine with that.   Others find it creepy.
    just cruisinwatto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    jas99 said:
    So much work went into this. A colossal achievement that really only Apple would undertake. . 
    Didn’t google do it first?
    Can’t you , just once, give the company its due?
    Google did do it first, not that it matters, because Apple has never been first to market with anything, and yet they're still sitting on a mountain of cash.

watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 45 of 64
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    cornchip said:
    It’s always had a seven year head start.

+1  I have said this same thing many times.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Looked like it had been much improved intil THE BUGS moved in! Apple wake the fuck up and stop releasing your bug-ridden crapwear!
  • Reply 47 of 64
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I just wish AppleMaps had the same police reporting as Waze. I use AM locally, but Waze exclusively for interstate traveling for that feature alone. Better than a radar detector.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    macgui said:
    I've used Maps since Day One and have had only one disappointment in being led astray.

But recently, I've noticed that Maps GPS function is responding on my SE more slowly than in the past. At 65mph+ I often get the next command, lane assist panel, or turn too late and overshoot my next movement. 

I don't know if it's a function of the rollout, but it's only started over the las three months or so. Obviously it's not much of a problem on named streets, but unnamed intersections often take me by surprise.

I miss having a great nav app on iOS, but Garmin stopped support, probably favoring their GPS units. If I could get two features of the best nav apps, it would be the ability to drop pins between Begin and End and get the general routes I want. Or to drag any given point of a suggested route to another point and get a new alternate route. The other feature would be offline maps. Overall, I'm completely happy with the progress Apple is making.
    You are not alone. I have the same thing happen on my 10S Max.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Great but you can have great data and still be frustrated when App sucks.

Buth Apple and Google maps apps sucks. Not operable with one hand/finnger
    Only start and end point for navigation, missing multiple point routes
    Not posible to select starting point from Map
    Missing language support for Siri for navigation in many countries
    Often completely off the mark results when Map searched from spotlight search on iOS

So I stick with local local map app that smash them all hands down even missing Siri support
    edited January 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 50 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    roxsocks said:
    All I want is to be able to download maps offline. I have dodgy spots on my commute and have to resort to Google. But CarPlay (obviously) works best with Apple Maps.

I guess I’ll keep waiting… 
    1)I don't know if waiting is your best move. As the world gets more interconnected I don't think that true off-line maps are going to happen, just I never thought Apple would enable the FM radios built into iPhone radio chips.

2) Even from the earliest Maps on the iPhone I've found that if you create a route it will load all the maps for that journey so that even if you are outside of the range of a cellular (or WiFi) connection you'll still get your detailed map showing you your location with the correct GPS location on said map and other info about your journey. I've even gone well off the path and been able to find my way back because the GPS location was always kept active on the grid with the maps it had pulled showing up where they belong when I zoomed out. Does this not work any longer?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 64
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    razorpit said:
    I just wish AppleMaps had the same police reporting as Waze. I use AM locally, but Waze exclusively for interstate traveling for that feature alone. Better than a radar detector.
    I came here to say the same thing. Speed traps, accidents, and construction zone reporting. I would also like a Maps app for AppleTV, or at least an AirPlay option within the iOS version. I may be alone, but I would love to have the big screen to play with Look Around, plan trips, research, explore...
     Hopefully a future update will bring us these capabilities. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Japhey said:
    razorpit said:
    I came here to say the same thing. Speed traps, accidents, and construction zone reporting. I would also like a Maps app for AppleTV, or at least an AirPlay option within the iOS version. I may be alone, but I would love to have the big screen to play with Look Around, plan trips, research, explore...
    1) I can't recall when Maps hasn't shown construction alone routes and actively redirected me when there was an accident that caused a route to become less ideal than the alternates.

2) I can swear I've used AirPlay to show my iPhone, iPad, and Mac on the TV via the Apple TV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Japhey said:
    I would also like a Maps app for AppleTV, or at least an AirPlay option within the iOS version. I may be alone, but I would love to have the big screen to play with Look Around, plan trips, research, explore...
    It's called Screen Mirroring...
    watto_cobrambenz1962
  • Reply 54 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    Soli said:
    roxsocks said:
    All I want is to be able to download maps offline. I have dodgy spots on my commute and have to resort to Google. But CarPlay (obviously) works best with Apple Maps.

I guess I’ll keep waiting… 
    1)I don't know if waiting is your best move. As the world gets more interconnected I don't think that true off-line maps are going to happen, just I never thought Apple would enable the FM radios built into iPhone radio chips.

2) Even from the earliest Maps on the iPhone I've found that if you create a route it will load all the maps for that journey so that even if you are outside of the range of a cellular (or WiFi) connection you'll still get your detailed map showing you your location with the correct GPS location on said map and other info about your journey. I've even gone well off the path and been able to find my way back because the GPS location was always kept active on the grid with the maps it had pulled showing up where they belong when I zoomed out. Does this not work any longer?
    On #1, Apple said in response to some emergency bill being discussed that having the chip isn’t enough, the iphone isn’t designed with needed physical antenna attachments, or something to that effect. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 64
    macgui said:
    I've used Maps since Day One and have had only one disappointment in being led astray.

But recently, I've noticed that Maps GPS function is responding on my SE more slowly than in the past. At 65mph+ I often get the next command, lane assist panel, or turn too late and overshoot my next movement. 

I don't know if it's a function of the rollout, but it's only started over the las three months or so. Obviously it's not much of a problem on named streets, but unnamed intersections often take me by surprise.

I miss having a great nav app on iOS, but Garmin stopped support, probably favoring their GPS units. If I could get two features of the best nav apps, it would be the ability to drop pins between Begin and End and get the general routes I want. Or to drag any given point of a suggested route to another point and get a new alternate route. The other feature would be offline maps. Overall, I'm completely happy with the progress Apple is making.
    I’ve been having GPS issues with my SE recently as well.   Slow to find location using Wahoo fitness and sometimes using Apple Maps the location drifts or hops while driving.
  • Reply 56 of 64

Googoo's 7 Year Headstart...

With 7 years ahead of Apple I Would've Expected More...

IMHO I disagree about Googoo's Maps being better!?. There are places where Googoo's Maps exceed the value (in content) of Apple's BUT there are so many places where they have to be told that you cannot traverse a route they suggest that simply does not exist (except this e in a hover car /s). The UI on GooGoo's is definitely the LCD (is there a bottom common denemoninator ?) -- Apple always makes UI/HI a priority. 

That being said Apple apparently did not give the first release of Maps the QA that a project of that size and potential magnitude it deserved! It looks like QA got the full content the same day as they were to sign off on the RTM -- dark day in the Cupertino companies history for sure.

All That said Apple made the correct choice bringing in someone with experience that patched things up but then started rewriting from ground up. Kudos Apple!

Some of the flyover views made bridges look like the Oakland viaduct @ 5:04 PM during the CA world series (Loma Prieta). I suspect that merely needed some tuning -- maybe it was submitted as a cosmetic bug when it should have been a 'show stopper'. Googoo needs to watch out though IMHO. Apple has not even had a third of the time to work on this as GooGoo and they are nipping at their heels.

The one thing I would really like to see is a feature to have waypoints or the ability to link sets of directions together e.g.,.

Family Road Trip

(longest example)
    Houston -> San Diego Zoo (MAIN1 Route) w/ side trips to 
    Carlsbad -> 
    MAIN1 -> Las Vegas -> 
    MAIN 1-> SD Zoo -> 
    (VIA Hwy 1: MAIN2) w/ side to 
    Lombard -> 
    Fishermans Wharf -> 
    Golden Gate -> 
    Marin County (wine tour) ->
    Gun Emplacements in Marin County ->
    Back across 
    Golden Gate ->   
    Oaksterdam  :p -> 
    Salt Lake City-> 
    Houston 
    etc...

Jus my 2 sense scents cents!   B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Japhey said:
    I would also like a Maps app for AppleTV, or at least an AirPlay option within the iOS version. I may be alone, but I would love to have the big screen to play with Look Around, plan trips, research, explore...
    Obviously, but that’s a work-around at the end of the day. What I want is a dedicated AirPlay option, under the “i” button, on every map. 
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Obviously, but that’s a work-around at the end of the day. What I want is a dedicated AirPlay option, under the “i” button, on every map. 
    That's not a workaround, screen mirroring is the intended function of the feature. What you're asking for is a dedicated option within the Maps app and I can't imagine why Apple would ever offer that feature despite being able to see a reason how that feature would be very handy for specific users.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Soli said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    That's not a workaround, screen mirroring is the intended function of the feature. What you're asking for is a dedicated option within the Maps app and I can't imagine why Apple would ever offer that feature despite being able to see a reason how that feature would be very handy for specific users.
    Whatever...agree to disagree. Also, Apple offers MANY features that are only handy to specific users. I wish this could be one of them. Cool?
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Japhey said:
    Soli said:
    Japhey said:
    Japhey said:
    Whatever...agree to disagree. Also, Apple offers MANY features that are only handy to specific users. I wish this could be one of them. Cool?
    Given AirPlay is for video streaming, the end result would be exactly the same. What would be the difference between initiating it via Control Center versus the app itself? It's not like it'd be easier.